/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX (embed) (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>Recent news
phonearena.com/news

Attached: 1526332028043.jpg (1280x720, 173K)

Other urls found in this thread:

androidcentral.com/xiaomi-beating-samsung-its-own-game?amp
forbes.com/sites/pamelaambler/2018/01/01/2018-will-be-xiaomis-coming-of-age-year-with-the-tech-worlds-biggest-ever-ipo/amp/
m.scmp.com/business/companies/article/2142130/rise-xiaomi-inside-humble-chinese-start-poised-become-years?amp=1
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/lg-extends-warranty-to-30-months-for-those-affected-by-bootloop-issue/
girardgibbs.com/lg-g4-bootloop-class-action-lawsuit/
forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/help/bootloop-lg-g5-t3621493
youtu.be/E9t0N9PAlsw
zdnet.com/google-amp/article/iphone-throttling-new-class-action-takes-total-to-60-but-how-many-will-apple-face/
pocketables.com/2011/11/how-to-recover-your-bricked-rooted-htc-evo-4g-or-3d.html/amp
youtube.com/watch?v=QpFcf7uBacI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kiwis suck big dicks

>sony
The og xbox was their only worthy product

I bought the Note 4 64GB 4GB Ram one.

I mean SIM unlock.

My biggest regret is buying the compact. It's garbage, slow, and more expensive. Size is the only positive.

Is iPhone SE still the only decent compact amartphone?

Yeah. Don’t fall for retards telling you the se2 will drop next week. Nobody knows and they probably watched some retarded appleshit youtuber with fake news.

Anyway the se is 2 years old now but still runs the latest so decently. I’d recommend you to wait or just go to android if you want something newer

Recommend me an Android phone that is the same size of an SE (or similar) that doesn't suck.

>Want phone with SD card slot and headphone jack in America
>Samsung phones have stupid shit like touchwiz and bixby
>No faith that LG has gotten it together with their bootlooping nonsense
>HTC and Motorola offer absolutely no support
>Nokia doesn't even sell phones in this hemisphere
>Chinkshit companies are DoA or full of chinese spyware, or both

Why is buying a phone such a fucking chore nowadays? Anything upcoming to look forward to or am i just too picky a consumer? I just want something like the HTC 10 that isn't going to shit on me like my old one. Is the Sony Xperia XZ1 any good? I don't care about the X2 because it doesn't have a headphone jack

Google it dude.

You expect us to go and tell you all the phones you can get?

I have but it's good to get a real persons opinion and not some pajeet or a paid shill youtuber.

Jow Forums is all pajeets

S8 LITE S8 LITE S8 LITE S8 LITE S8 LITE S8 LITE
FINALLY US POORFAGS WILL HAVE AN AESTHETIC PHONE

do you people unironically use chink shit tier phones with the stock images?

Elaborate.

yes

is there a good non pajeet site to buy a replacement battery for my xperia x compact. use to have god like battery now its taking a shit

how's the camera on the redmi note 5? trying to decide between that and huawei mate se

bemp for answers

optus is having a sale and its far past time to replace my ancient phone
j2 pro or j5 pro? will the 28nm vs 14nm prolong the battery all that much or is lithography a meme?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-16 12-49-29.png (1538x772, 111K)

Should I buy an iPhone 7plus 128gb for $400? Will it last me a long time or should I wait? I'm using a galaxy s4 and don't use my phone for games or anything, just GPS and video calls and Web browsing/banking and payments

No 3.5mm
No buy

So are you going to buy the nintendo phone?

???

Xz1 or xz2 compact?

Is Icecat for Android worth using over Waterfox or Fennec F-Droid?

Attached: icecat.png (650x650, 177K)

pixel 3 when

I want to get either the Nokia 6.1 (4 GB Ram/64 GB Storage) or the Moto G6 Plus. PhoneArena is telling me they came out in April but I can't find a place to buy either of them. How long does it usually take for this stuff to hit the market? My phone's home button is chipped and it's irreparable.

Follow-up question: Where do you guys go to recycle phones like this?

Going to the Xiaomi store today lads

Anyone in the US mind sharing how bad the LTE issues with xiaomi phones actually are? I'm tempted to pick up a rednote or mi a1, but i may end up going with a moto 5g plus instead if LTE is going to be a huge issue.

You just don't get LTE at all. You're stuck on 3G and some carriers are already phasing that out.

LG g5 is bootloop-free

Best phone that can stream youtube for 8 hours a day and not need a recharge?

October

Some chinkphone with a low power chipset and a fuck hueg battery

All of them suck, you should be using Lightning as your daily with Klar as a companion

Probably mi max 2 or redmi note 4

>some carriers are already phasing that out.
In like 2 years. 2g will be gone before 3g.

Xiaomi.eu ROM vs miui.com ROM

>Samsung phones have stupid shit like touchwiz and bixby
Their devices are also developer friendly, even if without faults (notch, edge gimmicks, mediocre battery life, price, etc.).
>Chinkshit companies are DoA or full of chinese spyware, or both
Are you serious?
androidcentral.com/xiaomi-beating-samsung-its-own-game?amp
forbes.com/sites/pamelaambler/2018/01/01/2018-will-be-xiaomis-coming-of-age-year-with-the-tech-worlds-biggest-ever-ipo/amp/
m.scmp.com/business/companies/article/2142130/rise-xiaomi-inside-humble-chinese-start-poised-become-years?amp=1
Some of their devices and other Chinese manufacturers are infamous for their custom ROM support.

>LG g5 is bootloop-free
Except it was one of the devices included in the class action lawsuit against LG, which was compelled into arbitration.
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/lg-extends-warranty-to-30-months-for-those-affected-by-bootloop-issue/
girardgibbs.com/lg-g4-bootloop-class-action-lawsuit/
forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/help/bootloop-lg-g5-t3621493

youtu.be/E9t0N9PAlsw

moto e4 plus, asus zenfone 4 max

Is xz premium a meme? Is there a huge difference in performance with xz1? Thinking of getting either of those. Worse comes to worst, I'll get the oneplus 5t even if it has the amoled burn in meme.

Sony Compact XZ1 is the only other good phone.

>A chance to improve on the S8 design and make it affordable
>Still puts fingerprint reader in a stupid place

I don't trust this phone.

thanks lad

So the Oreo update for the A5 2017 came out but I'm not receiving it. My A5 has no carrier so how would I go about getting it?

I got a OnePlus 5 64gb for £125 but the rear camera isn't working. Should I send it to the repair centre or repair it myself? How much could I resell it for after?

Attached: download.jpg (194x259, 5K)

Anons, I want a new phone. Under $500, stable (at least 2-years), good camera and a fucking audio jack.

Is Samsung S7 my best option?

Old phone appreciation post

My father still uses a Nokia 925, which is close to 5 years old at this point. The power button works only a quarter of the time but you can unlock the screen just by double tapping so still perfectly usable.

What are some old phones people still use? A friend of mine still uses an iPhone 4S.

Post your reliable phone brands Jow Forums

Attached: item_XXL_7335142_5711751.jpg (600x514, 32K)

If you're lucky maybe a Oneplus 5t

Galaxy S2 here, still using the original battery
gets 4 hours of web browsing but the passive drain is atrocious lasts all day in my pocket with the screen off ends up at 30%ish
they should release remasters of old good phones just with newer batteries and chips but the same body, seriously fuck these 5"+ behemoth phablets

I still have my s2 aswell, not using it though, are there any good custom roms for this device? I would like to play around with it.

my lg optimus l3 still works, can't browse internet on it though, good enough for emergency calls

Bump

My XZ1 Compact from Amazon just came in and there is no seal on the box, just a piece of clear tape. To anyone who also buys Sony, did you box have a seal? Do I return this as it is, or do I open the box and keep checking for signs of use?

Nexus 5x started bootlooping. Just ordered an iPhone 6s Plus. Never really used iOS though. I feel like I goofed.

>I feel like I goofed
You are not wrong. Enjoy your "new" throttled device. The 11.3 update supposedly lets users disable it.
zdnet.com/google-amp/article/iphone-throttling-new-class-action-takes-total-to-60-but-how-many-will-apple-face/

Goofed by getting a plus model.
iPhones are reliable and will last you a long time but you can't really do any modifications or anything. There's no Lineage iOS equivalent.

I'm enjoying the stability. My old phone no longer randomly shuts off. What do you do on your phone that you need peak performance all the time, render video? It's a cell phone.

Yeah I was a major tinkerer with my 5x. When It bootlooped I was running Lineage with the ElementalX kernel and was using Nova Launcher, Substratum themes, etc...

I got tired of it, and it drove me to want an iPhone. I want something that actively discourages tinkering. Need less headaches in my life.

Also, what's wrong with the plus model? It has better specs and I wanted a bigger screen.

Got an otterbox defender case for my phone today, didn't realize quite how bulky it was.

My previous case was a good 30-40% thinner, but it cracked after dropping it twice, so I figured I should probably replace it since the rigid plastic outer portion had a very noticeable crack.

Is there anything that comes close to otterbox performance without being as large?

Looking for a Note8 case.

Bump 2

Can you recommend anything better than Redmi 4x in the same price range with 5" display?

I just need decent battery and camera.

Also need it as soon as possible so ordering some unknown smartphone from China is out of the question.

Used Xperia X or X Compact

used oneplus 5t

I will check them right now, thanks, but is there anything not used?

What's the cheapest treble phone(non-chink)?

Just need something to install Lineage on day1.

Moto G6 / 6+.

How are you getting it for only $400?

Peak performance? You can't be serious with these mental gymnastics. You've overpaid for something which clearly doesn't have peak performance and could easily be throttled.

It actually makes a big difference in terms of efficiency, I wouldn't buy anything 28nm in 2018.

XZ2C if you care about the camera, XZ1C if you don't, and rather save a few hundred bucks (or if you want a headphone jack)

What country?

>you don't get LTE at all
That's wrong, certain Xiaomi models do get LTE in the US. The Global versions of Redmi phones and Mi A1 have 1 or 2 4G bands for AT&T and T-Mobile so you can get LTE coverage *depending* on where you live. Then you have Mi Mix 2/2S that have almost every band there is and will have no problem with coverage.

You should easily be able to get OG Google Pixel XL for $500

The regular 6S gets shit tier battery life. Me and my gf were playing Pokémon Go on our phones (I know, >pokemon go in 2018) and by the time her 6S was at 30%, my XZ1C was still at 85%. The Plus version gets way better battery life. Same story with 7/8 vs 7+/8+.

That's almost twice the price of 4x.

You wanted better than the 4x and new, that's your options pretty much, unless you want more chink garbage.

I also mentioned similar price. But thanks anyway.

what do you guys think about the p20

Yeah, it doesn't exist, which is why they recommended stuff more expensive.

You likely wont find a OP5t in your price range either, even used.

I guess I will take Redmi 4x in that case.

>You likely wont find a OP5t in your price range either, even used.
That's correct.

>I got tired of it, and it drove me to want an iPhone. I want something that actively discourages tinkering. Need less headaches in my life.
At least you've acknowledged that you'll be indulging in consumerism, congratulations.

Are you me? I upgraded from a Note 4 to an iPhone 8 Plus. I basically killed my Note 4 after years of custom roms, Xposed, and custom kernels. The motherboard eventually died, a hardware fault exasperated by my heavy use. I eventually couldn't even boot.

iOS is a little boring but stable and just works. One less complexity in my life.

Here's some advice. Don't buy crApple shit, you will regret it.

>Get iPhone X
>Can literally permanently pirate any app I want thanks to Chinese mans
>People still complain about no jailbreak
>They still fall for the tutu meme and pay for pirate shops

I remember when jailbreak was really useful and not just aesthetic tweaks

hey dudes, what you know about silicon screen protectors? cos someone told me about how they protect your screen better than glass protectors because they sort of "deflect" the hits from falling and stuff?

Is there some merit to them or was the guy a total shill?

How bad is the burn in on op5t?

>I basically killed my Note 4 after years of custom roms, Xposed, and custom kernels. The motherboard eventually died, a hardware fault exasperated by my heavy use. I eventually couldn't even boot.
pocketables.com/2011/11/how-to-recover-your-bricked-rooted-htc-evo-4g-or-3d.html/amp
These aren't the days of HTC Evo, where some motherboards have been known to bootloop even when the procedures of flashing anything were correct. You clearly don't know what you're talking about and I can only hope you people are getting paid for this.

I know flashing itself didn't kill it. I'm referring to the eMMC issue on Note 4. Some models have a defective one which would gradually slow and eventually stop working entirely.

It would have died eventually, but there are tons of anecdotal reports that OS updates or flashing new ROMs stress it and cause earlier demise.

How do you pirate apps?

Best official 8.1 ROM for Osprey?

OnePlus 6 Reveal

youtube.com/watch?v=QpFcf7uBacI

Chinese windows program; no revokes or anything

So I'm watching reviews of stock photos vs gcam photos on the Mi A1 and the difference is fucking abysmal. What the actual fuck, how can the chinks be this incompetent? Also, can I put the Gcam on a Redmi Note 5 pro without root? Just like Mi A1.

Anyone around here has used the Gcam on their Mi A1? Any opinion?

Speaking of Mi A1s, has anyone in the states bought one off Amazon or eBay that claim they have most of the T-Mo/AT&T LTE bands?

Will you buy it?

Attached: _0.png (1057x499, 111K)

Is the One Plus 3T worth it over the 3?

Seems like it but I can't be too sure.

Why aren't Snapdragon 821 phones near $200 already?

site is broke at the moment

I have used my Samsung S7 since early August, 2016.

Are these readings OK or should I replace my battery soon?

Attached: Screenshot_20180516-180001.jpg (615x642, 54K)

best phone for 200 usd?
no old shit pls

DO NOT BUY THE ONEPLUS 6. IT HAS FAILED TO LIVE UP TO THE ONEPLUS NAME AND VALUES. VOTE WITH YOUR WALLETS.

My mom still uses my old Blackberry Z10, also almost 5 years old. I have her email hooked up and she loves it. Dad uses a Q10 which is of similar vintage. I have a friend who still uses the iPhone 5 he bought new in 2012.

I feel like a Galaxy S2 would be more useful than either the Blackberry or the Nokia for the typical normie, given that there are probably a lot more apps that will run on Jellybean than there are for WP or BB10.

>The regular 6S gets shit tier battery life
Any small iPhone gets shit battery life, except maybe the SE. I bought an iPhone 8 to replace my Nexus 5X (RIP bootloop). While I appreciate the smoothness and the stability, and while the standby battery life is extremely impressive, I can't actually USE the damn thing without watching the battery charge indicator drop like a rock in a pond. My friend, who has the 8 Plus, doesn't have this problem, but I find that phone offensively large. I wish Apple made these things a little thicker. Would have allowed for a larger battery and no camera bump, win-win.