What were the first video games written in C?

When did the game industry make the jump to higher level languages? I figured it was around the time of the 16-bit era, when consoles were equipped with m68k's and could actually handle the power. More specifically, what were the first console games to be written in C?

Attached: m68kalldaybaby.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shrigley.com/source_code_archive/
info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Spinball
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIGCC
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's hard to tell exactly what the first game written in C was. Although the m68K did have C capabilities, just shoddy ones. Sonic Spinball, for instance, was written in C.

>I figured it was around the time of the 16-bit era
This guy has source for some of the commercial games he worked on for the genesis and its all assembly

shrigley.com/source_code_archive/

The thing about C is that you usually need Assembly to take advantage of processor-specific speed hacks.

>Although the m68K did have C capabilities
wtf am i reading?

info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Spinball

PC games, probably in the late 80s
Console games, probably in the mid 90s

What? I used to program TI calculators with m68k processors. I used C.

Did you have enable C capability in order to do so? Unlock the achievement as it were?

....no...

Apparently you are a magician.

What the hell are you talking about? As long as something has a C compiler, you can program in C for that thing.

I really have no idea why you think a C compiler targeting an m68k is outlandish: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIGCC

Assembler mainly. 68k is very assembler friendly.

I was making fun of the jackass that said 68k has C capabilities, then you dumbasses for not catching it.

You know what the fuck I meant. It's been a long night.

>>I was making fun of the jackass that said 68k has C capabilities,
But thats true.

Are you not aware that there have existed microprocessors for which C is completely inappropriate?

>I've moved the goalpost
>Do I still look foolish?

Will you both stop talking shit, my thread is about historical proof of C in game development. Not arguing about m68k C capabilities.

What are you even talking about? You're the one who's acting like pointing out that m68k processors are regularly programmed using C is outlandish.

Do you know who writes C code for z80s? Fucking nobody, that's who. The processor wasn't designed with C in mind and it shows. The user who said the m68k has "C capabilities" plainly mean that the processor was designed with compiled code in mind and has mature C tooling targeting it.

Your thread is shit, and you should feel like shit for making it.

you're just sore because you've made a fool of yourself in OPs thread and want somebody to blame but yourself.

First video games written in C? C's lineage is intrinsically tied to Unix, so the various text mode console games that grew up around unix are likely candidates.

High level languages? Games in basic and pascal with assembler routines were very common in the 8 bit era.

Right, but I don't mean text based or MUD games, I'm talking real commercial games like StarFox and Donkey Kong Country that would be close to impossible to develop in assembly.

C was phased out after dreamcast and that Gen. Hydro thunder was done in c. Its a pretty crazy story how they would control states being it wasn't oop.

You've never herd of star ocean then. Expansion chips and sony's dac was revolutionary. If you slapped enough memory to the sucker it could do anything because with the SNES the cartridge did most the work

>close to impossible to develop in assembly
ha but they were :^)

>"Sawyer wrote 99% of the code for RollerCoaster Tycoon in x86 assembly language, with the remaining one percent written in C.[2]"

Attached: blocks you're path.jpg (1024x768, 451K)

What nonsense is this?
AmigaOS was written in C, so were the UNICES that ran on 68k.

Consoles stuck to assembly for quite a while, but around the late 80s or early 90s they would've gone to C, or just C++, at least for IBM compatibles.

>StarFox and Donkey Kong Country that would be close to impossible to develop in assembly.

Why? Elite was made in assembly (obviously) and its the same graphics as StarFox just hollow rather than filled meshes, and that Traverler's Tales guy on Youtube talks a lot about the assembly they used in Sonic 3d so there's Donkey Kong.