>heh, you'll have to get past me if you wanna be a programmer, kid

Attached: heh.jpg (800x450, 134K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/files/33283/33283-pdf.pdf
docs.google.com/file/d/0B0uVd31B7zGEOHZiWWVUclRHYm8/edit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_Mathematics
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw can't get Adderall despite having more than enough diagnoses
Calculus isn't really that hard. It's kind of fun once you get the hang of it.

*teleports behind you

Attached: EA3F8A39-90AF-47CF-9898-B1B6CF1A2EE3.jpg (800x450, 88K)

Sorry boy, this will not get you the knowledge...

if calculus blocks you from getting your degree i feel bad for you son, i got 99 problems but a derivative aint one

Kicked my ass, and probably why I've been taking forever to get to the goal. That and no money.

Is calculus actually the hardest thing about programming? From somebody who is about to start college for computer science

This shit is literally cheating. I've never been able to pump out so much work without it. Only used it twice on my first year and stopped, couldn't even sleep if I took it mid day.

Boiiii i been eatin' them shits like M&Ms since last week. At least my calc final is at 10 tomorrow morning and after that I'm done for the semester. Just have to get up at 4am and grind out fucking related rates and optimization bullshit till then.

At my uni that and the Data Strutcurs/Algorithms class will brutally ass-rape your GPA not because the material is hard but because they always get shitty professors that don't care to teach the classes.

My Data Structures teacher kept assigning programming projects even she couldn't do and they were each 10% of your grade. If I ever hear "K-Way Merge without Min Heap" again I'm gonna fucking chokeslam the person who mentioned it through a window.

High school senior here, took Calculus 1 & 2 last year, and Calc 3/Intro to Linear Algebra this year. If basic mathematics is stopping you from getting a CS degree, you'd be better off with a software engineering degree.

This. If you actually fail calculus, you deserve to fail your major and flip burgers.

Best class I ever had, honestly. I love the subject!

>>blocks your degree
>Touch it lightly
>Falls over by itself
Well that was easy.

Math major here, Calc is shit. Algos was the best shit.

nah son Numerical Analysis was the best

Attached: 1522508336950.png (645x729, 56K)

are you implying calculus is hard?

>just use Taylor's theorem lmao
Nah

I kid, I loved numerical too.

Attached: 1518181880002.png (645x729, 147K)

Spoken like a true senior

What level of complexity are we talking about exactly?

Took calculus in high school and it wasn't particularly hard except for the fact that I kept fuckin up the trig integral formulas, but then again most complicated things we did were limits with Riemann integrals

Calculus is a meme.

Not ONE day has gone by yet where I've had to use calculus in my day to day programming.
Being good at algebra and logic is all you need.
Let the computer do the tough maths for you. It's what it's for.

Granted, i don't do any like, machine learning or AI shit or whatever, so maybe that's different

Attached: 7545.jpg (470x626, 58K)

EZ
Taught it to myself, git gud

git add -A

This

Unless you develop shit that need to be using calculus by default you really dont need to be a math genius to program.

A programmer need logic more than maths to do shit. Logic and how something will logically work is the most important shit ever, if you have enough of it you will make your computer do any kind of maths for you.

I hope you drop out you degenerate druggie

>Baby calculus: Calculus made easy
gutenberg.org/files/33283/33283-pdf.pdf
>Poor Germany

>Good old russian book
differential and integral calculus by n piskunov

docs.google.com/file/d/0B0uVd31B7zGEOHZiWWVUclRHYm8/edit

They just made it a major requirement the semester I started. The justification for doing that instead of another actual CS class is that it opens up more opportunities for what classes you can take to fulfill their bullshit lab science requirement.

Meanwhile their Discrete Math and Linear Algebra, you know, the shit you actually need to know for CS work are garbage classes taught by burnt-out professors that obviously don't wanna be there anymore.

Calc is pretty easy m8.

Who Rudin here

any source or books i should read to learn calculus? i mean all i know is -+/*, logic, an the order of -+/*. where do i beggin from evenn

If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin' bruh.

Unless you want to get a bottom-of-the-barrel job and don't care about your GAP, Adderall's the only way to play nowadays.

Yeah have fun going through the rest of your life trying to justify Adderall just to do your job. If you're not smart enough to do it without drugs, maybe you're being educated beyond your intelligence.

What's with this meme? I took calculus through differential equations and they were among the easiest classes I've taken for my CS degree.

If you have trouble with calculus then you should seriously rethink your choice of profession.

definitely can be an elite pr0grammer without calculus. programmers almost never need calculus. of course if you can't do calculus you're retarded, but that doesn't mean you can't be a great code monkey

A lot of people have shitty math fundamentals from high school on back. This really bites them in the ass in calculus since it builds on all the math you've learned until that point.

Nowadays a lot of schools push the fuck out of STEM-related classes because muh tech boom but 10-20 years ago, you were lucky if you had one competent high school math teacher in the entire district that did more than just teach verbatim from an outdated textbook.

>Moralfags

Attached: 517.jpg (248x233, 9K)

>calculus 1 and 2 are hard

Attached: 768B7487-240C-4796-95C5-5000EC16A287.jpg (500x386, 78K)

i think calculus really has so little application in cs, i wonder if unis can focus more on algorithms instead to fill that void.

i mean its hard to fail, but it definitely hit the hardest on my gpa.

t. dumb 1st year student with bad gpa

Addy is bad on your body in the long run. Give pot + melatonin + Lthanine for sleep and coffee naps a try to not wear down your body too much.

The pot calms you down but lowers your body's amount of melatonin. Which makes it harder to fall asleep. The melatonin makes you groggy if too much of the suplent builds up in your body. The Lthanene helps move the melatonin through your body wuicker so you don't get any hang over effect from the melatonin supplement. With this trio I can consistently sleep for 5 hours and feel like I got 8

I don't even try

Did AP calc in HS, calc 2 and 3 in college. Didn't think AP calc was too bad. I've seen some of the calc 1 coursework from my friends in college and it looked more difficult than AP. If calc 1 stops you, you should rethink your study habits. The processes of calculus are fairly intuitive. The shitty parts, like trig substitution, can be memorized.

I haven't used calculus at all in my work but I wish I remembered more of it. Discrete mathematics is actually useful though. If you study that, take good notes and review them every now and then.

>Addy is bad on your body in the long run
>Suggests DUDEWEEDLMAO and some activated almonds tier meme supps instead

If you're gonna suggest an alternative, at least suggest something effective like modafinil. Addy might beat your body up if you overdo it, but at least it's actually been tested/approved and is produced with good QC unlike a lot of the poorly-regulated supplements and weed you suggested.

Plus, heavy weed use will have a negative effect on your memory and motivation which is the exact opposite of what you want in this situation.

I don't use calc on the job but it's good knowledge to have about rates of change and it becomes useful for advanced design. I took 3 calcs, diff eq, linear algebra, but the one that gave me the most trouble was probability. I just couldn't get my head around it. I'm still not sure why it was a requirement for an EE degree.

The math I use the most is statistics. It's incredibly useful but most colleges emphasize calculus because it's perceived as a weedout course.

how do you even get these if you're not american

You don't lmao, the rest of the world banned that shit for good reason.

>This is really the only math you need:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_Mathematics

I licked a negro once

>All these fucking brainlets thinking Calculus is hard

Protip: Mathematics doesn't even get hard until you have to start doing proofs, and even then it only does so gradually and by the time you're making proofs in more advanced fields, you are already used to doing proofs by then

Proofs ain't shit senpai. They reward being methodical and organized whereas a lot of calculus rewards rote memorization and being really fast at grinding out arithmetic/algebra when you're doing it for a test.

can you smuggle some for me pls

>when you post on Jow Forums but don't know what the darknet is or how to use it

>Calculus is a meme.
No, it is a class to filter out the people who won't make it anyway.

*Everyone* should take this class, if you can't do it you don't belong into University.

These, learned calculus and thought it was EZ
Learning real math I learned that drunk me perform better math than sober me, it all boiled down to logic
Because I was logical, the Excell function works
Do I know how? Fuck no.

I know what it is and how to use it, I just got that idea 2 minutes ago as well. Although ever since the silk road takedown I stopped thinking of it as the place to get drugs, don't know why since it clearly wasn't going to stop anyone

That's very true, but compared to calculus, they involve more work and actual effort put into them. People saying that calculus or any of these babby-tier math courses are hard are brainlets.

Do you actually get a choice of classes like this in American university? In UK university we pick our subject then if we're lucky we have a small selection of electives but usually it's mostly core classes all the way through. My BSc is in Maths so there was no 'Calculus 101', calculus just featured to some degree in almost all of my classes.

It depends on the person. Most early baby math is impossible for me because it's basically about being a good computer and I suck at that. I only ever began to enjoy math and actually understand it when proofs got involved. It's such a shame that the math progression is so fucked up in American education . If proofs and formal logic were covered earlier it'd be so much better

It's still alive and well, just more fragmented and you have to be more careful about where and who you buy from since there's way more scammers now.

I wish I was smart enough to snoop around that

> Take ap calc 1 and 2 in hs
> get a 5 and 4 respectively
> Go to community college for first 2 years because money
> Take calc 3 since I was considering a math major
> Pass with a B or something
> Transfer to current school
> Calc 3 credits transfer and calc 1 credits are good with an ap score
> School wants a 5 on calc 2 ap exam
> Mfw I had a calc 3 credit but had to take calc 2 again in college
(((((((( ))))))))) init

But yea if you can't basic calculus there's no hope

I disagree . Calculus isn't the ultimate gateway into math.

I don't understand how smart you have to be to open a website using a specific browser and purchase things with bitcoin

The part where my tinfoil prevents me from trusting the browser to be my shield

I've never known anyone who is bad with basic arithmetic but good with proofs. Just about everyone can do basic arithmetic, it's only a question of processing speed. Some people are blessed to be fast, others are convinced by our shitty school systems that they 'can't do it' just because they can't do it fast. You can't really cover the proofs and such earlier because they're all underpinned by an understanding of arithmetic. You can't explain how we derive things, kids just aren't going to get it.

What would you consider to be the 'ultimate gateway into math' out of curiosity?

then you just have to take extra precautions

>graduated 4.0 and greatest cum load with a piss easy humanities degree
>never had to take any meme math courses, only science courses were intro level rocks for jocks and other stupid shit
>landed job working for govt language program right out of college
>paying dirt tuition for masters thanks to wife who works at university library
>eventually transition to cushy bullshit administrative job
>mfw listening to all the STEM crybabbies
christ what the fuck are you people doing

Attached: 1490248424428.jpg (580x565, 166K)

The one that makes you realize math can be really interesting and satisfying .

Well now you have. It's me. I suck arithmetic horribly.
I think you can by the way. I think kids can be introduced to formal logic concepts at an early age and we can build on these things until they're doing actual proofs in high school.

I never appreciated math until I started taking physics classes to be honest.

>graduated 4.0 and greatest cum load with a piss easy humanities degree
What degree/school?

Like what

Get on Khan Academy and see what interests you. If you are genuinely interested or find you have a natural aptitude for it then look up what options you have to get formal qualifications. I can absolutely assure you that if you have a true desire you will be capable of doing it, and if it just clicks for you you can do it too, but if you don't have either of these you will struggle a lot.

Already going to school for comp sci.. but mathematics does interest me so I'll definitely give it a look in my spare time.

>christ what the fuck are you people doing
falling for the stem meme. barely got over a 2.6 my first two semesters doing org chem. parents think im retarded but this program is legit impossible

Attached: 1458083506508.jpg (633x758, 68K)

only do business at some public places with wifi, that's what all the haxors do
Also use tails live image for extra l33t points

b8

explain why it's bait

Cal 1 was a joke but cal 2 is the real brainlet filter

Good thing I passed both now I don't have to deal with that shit anymore

Are you simply curious or do you also envision a practical use for such knowledge?

>I heard he took an honors calculus course which went over the proofs
>must have a big dick

Attached: 1522416687497.png (776x5164, 3.1M)

>Calculus is a meme
uhhhh
Computer Science degree and its curriculum is the real meme
uhhhhh
numerical differentiation is scientific computing
uhhhhh
not my fault you didn't choose something meaningful like EE or AMath or Physics
uhhhh
enjoy your degree catered to dilettantes who cant fathom BCS theory applied to superconductivity
uhhhhh
bet you dont know all the implications when staring at Maxwell equations
uhhhhh
how ironic

Attached: images (1).png (225x225, 7K)

uhh, what is this ?
yes i realize it's a drug i am asking what kind

pepto bismol

>organic chemistry
top lel, why the fuck would anyone ever major in that? Masochism?

Still don't know how to pass this data analysis / advanced statistics class and already failed it once.

Attached: that feel when bam.jpg (633x758, 44K)

You shouldn't have a college degree if you can't pass Calc I and Calc II

I'm studying for my MSc in Data Analytics right now, what are you struggling with bro?

>graduated 2.8 in CS
>get a six figure job out of college
>make more money than the rest of my family combined at 20

8========D

Wait, calculus is hard?

This, I do believe though unis should have an option to do a standard calculus stream or a much harder algebra stream.

/Thread

It's actually incredibly cool. As long as your prof. Is passionate about the subject and knows his history, calculus is one of the coolest classes you can take

For most people, yes. For a small minority of people mathematics click quickly and it's considered 'easy', for the vast majority of people mathematics is 'hard' and does not click quickly. Most people are capable of understanding calculus but most people are not capable of understanding it quickly. Western schooling is fucking shit so we learn that if we can't do something quickly then we can't do it at all, and the myth that mathematics is 'hard' is perpetuated.

>Going over proofs someone else did is the same thing as actually formulating your own in the attempt to prove something

Attached: brain damage.png (612x563, 123K)

You really don’t need it, I was eating 200mg of vyvanse a day (tolerance due to former meth use) and my grades actually got better once i didn’t use it at all. Of course, everybody’s different, but I think it really is all about your mindset

Calculus isn't but the algebra and trig parts are

If you can't do calculus, then you can't program. Its fucking easy. Did advanced calc in highschool and got credits for it in university. You fucking brainlets.