/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on other youtube)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM, Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming WITH/WITHOUT a graphics card (Low end)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale & closer to 2200G price
>R5 2600X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPU (Mid range)
>i7-8700k - Best for gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700X - Best high-end mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>TR 1950X/Used Xeon - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (HEDT)
Overclocking
>Use Precision Boost2 offsets to overclock Ryzen2000X series!

RAM
>8GB - enough for glorified gaming use
>16GB - for heavy PC use
>32GB+ - if you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933-3200 MHz is ideal

Graphics cards
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 560, $115; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 8GB, $220+
>There have been good sales on AMD graphic cards lately in the US. Look for them
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) fps in newer games & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti, 1080, or Vega56/64; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
>Titan V OC

Storage
>Optane is good with StoreMi on Ryzen; not good on Intel
>240GB minimum for a storage drive
>2TB HDD are barely more $ than 1TB
>m.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard
>Consider getting a larger SSD, instead of small SSD & large HDD; add HDD later when needed

General
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous

Attached: 1526367705570.png (500x970, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4m3qnbzif3U
pcpartpicker.com/list/8jvGLJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/mXhXyX
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA10V69K9881&cm_re=monitor-_-9SIA10V69K9881-_-Product
pcpartpicker.com/list/rg9H29
youtube.com/watch?v=AUyF--fJaaM
pcpartpicker.com/list/KwrgbX
nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/njZyKB
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Their upcoming 8 core may be better for gaming. Though it'll consume a lot more power.
Otherwise what you said is true. If you're an intel fanboy and have to buy Intel, 8700k is the clear choice over a locked 6 thread i5.

Should I trade my EVGA 980ti SC+ for a Fury X? My new monitor has is 1080p 144hz with freesync, just wondering if its worth the switch.

>I wouldn't consider it shit if you're getting 5-10 FPS less
That may sound innocent, but consider two things.
>1.) You pay more money, (60 euros more in my case) for less performance.
Tell me does that sound like a logical decision?
>2.) 10fps less may not seem much when you give that statement in a vacuum, but consider that the difference between 20 and 30 fps is huge, and the difference between 1000 and 1010 fps is small. Currently if you have a 120 hrz monitor or even 144hrz monitor, not only are you missing out of your potential for capping out your fps to what your monitor can you display, but it's also a question of stability and being able to maintain it.
>You can easily make the statement that the difference between 100 fps and 110 fps isn't huge, but at the same time you absolutely can't deny that maintaining higher minimums is wasted.
Tell me does that sound like a logical decision, getting less performance now and in the future when things get more demanding? If performance doesn't matter to you, and indeed in this case does money also no matter to you?
How can you possibly make a compelling argument to convince people to spend 60 euros more to get 10 fps minimums less?

>Especially if you plan on upgrading to a high end GPU
In case of the high end GPU the 8700 or 8700k seem far better in performance when it comes to gaming, if you don't want to bottleneck your high end GPU with your CPU.

It's not, freesync is a flickering meme. Also 4gb is not enough even for 1080p now. Keep your sweet 980ti.
t. buyer's remorsing freesync monitor + amd card owner

Oh shit that's disappointing. Was looking forward to the AIO but really isn't worth the performance decrease.

Don't do it. Not because of what says, he's retarded and FreeSync works perfectly fine. The FuryX was a disappointment that isn't getting the same FineWine treatment as older cards. It was an experimental test bench for HBM, the real cards are the Vega.
Keep your 980ti. Get a proper AMD card to take advantage of FreeSync when Vegas or whatever the successor is are decently priced. Blame miners for gouging up the price on Vega to 2 times what it should be.

Freesync quality heavily depends on the quality of the monitor (stay away from Samsung) and the software revision (hint: you can update your monitor).
Otherwise, unless you're really into adaptive sync, yeah I wouldn't take the Fury X if you already have a 980ti. Considering watercooling it.
Or consider a Vega 56 when those come down in price.

Considering the 8700k doesn't even beat the 7700k in some of the cherry picked older games the Intel fanboys seem to love, I doubt that. It will also be an absolute housefire to cool.

I agree.

Thanks, I've looked into Vega 56 but I'm in australia so stock is every dryer than my gf's arsehole and prices are way up there. Guess I'll wait for the next amd series to upgrade. They should come out next year yeah?

I'd like a Vega 56 to replace my ageing R9 390 too, but shit's way too expensive. It's supposed to be $400 MSRP, but it's going for the equivalent of $900 where I'm at. 1080ti are going for over $1100. It's simply not realistic in any way.

Fucking hopefully. That pajeet looshitter Raja better have made Navi good before he left for shintel. Thought I guess it's hard to fuck up when they'll be using pretty much the best lithography on the planet, the latest high speed memory standard (HBM4 from what I hear) and the absolute last word in cheating bastard technology, Infinity Fabric.

I really don't think Navi will be MCM dies.
Infinity Fabric, probably, but only for linking multiple graphic cards for compute and not gaymes.

It doesn't matter what you think!

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 43K)

I have 6TB of media currently in some older external drives, I was wanting to replace one failing drive, while also expanding my storage. Maybe consolidating them into 1 drive that I could take with me when I travel.
That 6TB of media will probably expand, so I want storage for 8,10, or even 12TB total.

But now I'm considering putting drives in internally, if I want a reasonable redundant backup of the media, will that require double the storage, or does RAID do some clever stuff to reduce that requirement?
I'd like to look into RAID more, I only have a vague idea of how it works.
Is it looking like I need 2x 8TB internal hdds on top of my main internal 480gb ssd?

I could get an enclosure that's not too hard to fit the drives into, for when I travel and want to use them as external media drives.

Another thing I was wondering, can I clone my main 480gb ssd, including operating system and everything, on to these drives as a backup? Do I need a partition or something to keep it separate from the rest of the data?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me on this.

We've known Navi will be MCM for at least a year now. It's the last logical step and there's no reason for them not to do it considering they've already done it on mainstream Zen. As long as they get their drivers straight it will work well, too. Smaller dies means better yields which means lower voltages which means better thermals. It all aligns even better for GPUs because their architecture is parallel by default, and HBM4 is a lot higher bandwidth than any DDR4 standard.
It's all been leading up to Navi user, and AMD's server stuff is always just their consumer stuff but with better features.

>RAID backup
user you can't be this clueless.
youtube.com/watch?v=4m3qnbzif3U

And yes you will probably need to create a partition for your OS backup.

Get 2 12TB Ironwolf Pros or something. It's Seashit but at least it comes with a good warranty. Best you can do is compress your MANUAL backup, but compressing that much data can take a while if you don't have Threadripper.

>buy Thermaltake x31 because it doesn't look gamer and supports 6 HDDs
>it doesn't arrive with the accesories so no PSU cover for two extra SSDs slots, nor being able to mount 3 HDDs on the back
>I can only mount 3 HDDs on the cage
Also, I bought the gimmick one because the other were out of stock, and it didn't come with the PCIe extension cable neither.
Where do I get the HDD cage and PSU cover? I don't care about the PCIe extender shit.

>Thermalshit
At least learn from your mistakes.
You can probably get the accessories from their online store on their website.

There weren't any other alternatives at that price range tho, I spend 95 bucks, and it's a big case that can store well my cables. I wanted to try, I can always return it.
What other case can store 6 3.5 HDDs and 2 2.5 SSDs that doesn't look gaymer shit but has a window? Yeah, I don't like gaymer shit but I want a window.

Fractal Design Define R6. Costs a bit more but can do 6 drives and an EATX board no problem. Glass window, full length PSU shroud, no RGB, sound dampening, the whole shabang right out of the box for only like 30 bucks more than you paid. A much better deal. And now you're going to have to spend the money you saved on those accessories anyway. Learn your lesson.
But if you just need a lot of drives and a window the much cheaper R5 works well too.

I'm sure there are other cases that can still do the same job mind you, but Fractal's stuff looks nicer.

I forgot to say I need a 5,25.drive bay too, but I think it already has one. I'm going to check it, also
>learn your lesson
Dude, if the case came with the capabilities of mounting 6 3.5 and 2 2.5 and one 5,25 out of the box, without having to purchase anything else, then it would have been perfect. It look better to me than most Fractal cases. Returning it doesn't costs me more than time, though the HDD I need to mount is on top on some paper bag and I should hurry and mount it properly, but hey, it werks.

This has probably been asked a lot but i can't decide which card to get for 350€, the RX 580 or the GTX 1060. I know the GTX 1060 is technically the better one but from all the tests i've seen with multiple games they look pretty much equal. Also i never had good experiences with nvidia cards which also makes it hard for me to get another card from them.

What i want to know for the most part is which one would last me longer. I don't mind turning down graphic settings to high/medium or not being able to go above 60fps. I also plan on getting a WQHD monitor since my old one is dying and i don't see a reason to get another FHD monitor. So, which card is the better choice?

The R5 has two 5,25 bays, user.
And Thermaltake is a shitty chink company that makes absolute scam power supplies and don't deserve your money.

8GB>6GB user. If you can find the 8GB version of the 580 for a good price it's the better card plain and simple.

>telling somebody who owns the tech and disappointed in it that it works perfectly fine
I don't think it is me who's retarted here tbf. I learned the lesson with my wallet and don't want my fellow Jow Forums friends to have it the same way.

That's fair enough user. You can feel free to warn people about the specific company or monitor you bought, which you haven't even told us about yet, but there's nothing wrong with Freesync as an open software standard, and that's all that it is. It's the implementation that can be shitty on a lot of products. But this has since been ameliorated with software updates on a lot of them, which it doesn't sound like you tried.

I see you can take the front panel from the R6, which I don't really like, so I think I will return the x31 and get either the R6 or Cooler Master MasterCase Maker 5. I found it, and looks really fucken gaymer but I can remove the same front panel like on the R6, and same with the top one. Both cost roughtly the same, 147€ on amazon for the Cooler Master and 156€ for the R6.
I will check reviews of both to see how much can I remove from the cases.
I hope I can switch cases in less than a month.

Going to upgrade from my Rosewill mid tower case to a big ass Phanteks Enthoo Pro full size tower, need a new desk since the Enthoo Pro will not fit in the little nook my old one did.

Bekant is 63x31.5 inches(160x80cm) and costs $180, other choice is Linnmon/Godvin 59x27.5 inches (150x70cm) at $70.

The Bekant is much more sturdy and could possibly fit both the desktop and my printer, but the Linnmon is so inexpensive that I could buy a decent PC stand and set up the Enthoo Pro underneath the desk on the floor

What do?

Attached: 1500865208841.jpg (2050x3000, 767K)

Modified my build a bit

pcpartpicker.com/list/8jvGLJ

Main use is for 144hrz gaming, what do you think of the motherboard choice?
Also hyper 212 evo good enough for running 8700k at stock right? (I plan to get a better cooler and delid and apply liquid metal in the future)

just snagged one of these personally. can't wait to ditch my meme corsair cube that i impulse bought because i was so sick of my case from 2010 never having space.
soon i realized that having more isn't always the best..

pcpartpicker.com/list/mXhXyX

This is the rig I already own, will I have any trouble taking the WD green 2TB and 3TB drives I got from my externals, and installing them internally?
I don't know much about compatibility, power, or sata connections.

Yes you will

What's the problem?

What makes a good monitor? Whats the best I can buy with around 250$?

whats wrong with this?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA10V69K9881&cm_re=monitor-_-9SIA10V69K9881-_-Product

Does it have freesync? Does it have high refresh rate? Does it have your desired resolution?

Why do literally no case reviewers talk about noise output? It's one of the most important things when looking for a case. I'm struggling to find a nice quiet case that doesn't look like complete ass or is outdated as fuck like the be quiet pure base 600 and nzxt h440

Because they're lazy and they can't afford the tools to measure noise output

I own a FreeSync panel and use it too. It's fine, works as advertised and I like it.
I'm sorry you got a shitty panel that has a poor implementation of FreeSync. As far as I understand it, AMD has no control over how manufacturers implement FreeSync - it's an open standard, it's either supported or it isn't. And it can be fucked up on the manufacturer side, which is probably what's happening in your case.
Sucks, yeah, but it's not the technology's fault in itself.

Does anyone have a Fractal Design Meshify C? How do you like the case, and how noisy is it? Was cable management alright, or is it shit? I'm worried the PSU shroud on the case is too big and doesn't have room to pass cables through, is my fear justified?

So I just installed the 2TB itself, and I don't have any issues, now that I had a chance to check, I have 4 sata slots, and 5 power cables for it, and I was only using one of each before for the ssd. All I need is to buy a 3rd sata cable.

If I'm being a retard and missing something, please tell me.

Did anyone else buy a Ryzen processor out of peer pressure and end up regretting it?
A few weeks ago I returned an 8700k and motherboard after hearing all of the good things about Zen+, bought a Zen+ chip and motherboard to see what the performance gains were over coffee lake and when I finally began using it, nothing I did felt significantly different besides synthetic benchmarks. I used it for a week just to see if my opinion changed, and it didn't. So, feeling massively stupid for letting the internet influence my buying decisions, I returned the 2700x today and I re-bought the 8700k and motherboard I was using before.

Attached: sucker.jpg (480x360, 9K)

>when I finally began using it, nothing I did felt significantly different besides synthetic benchmarks
Here's the open secret: even midrange systems will do most user's tasks reasonably well enough in real life, even for the non-normies among us.

You don't even need to measure it or even if they do they can use a phone app to measure it roughly and compare it to ambient. It will at least give the consumer an idea of how loud it is and the consumer can compare the results with other cases they've tested if they build a portfolio of approximate sound output e.g. if they have tested a case to be around let's say 30db and they test another to be around 37db, these are just super approximate results based on maybe a phone app mic test but it still gives the consumer the impression of case 2 being quite a bit louder than case 1. If they don't want to do that they can at least just say if the case is quiet, moderate or audible under testing. It doesn't even take extra work as it goes hand in hand with their testing anyway.

>Did anyone else buy a Ryzen processor out of peer pressure and end up regretting it?
Considering the massive shilling here, I don't blame you one bit.
It all depends on what you plan to do with your pc, how often you plan to upgrade it, your GPU, your monitor and so on.
But shill would have you believe you should buy their favorite brand and their favorite brand for everything.

So ram prices wont go down, but will it go up at all? Thinking about buying ram now and save it for when the 7nm comes out. Good idea or bad?

dumbass

If you can put off buying RAM right now, do that. RAM will remain more or less stable at this current price for this year, buy what you need and that's it. It's possible that next year or in 2020, prices will go down further.

Well time to return that corsair ram I bought woops.

Tried to take what I could from the thread header,

pcpartpicker.com/list/rg9H29

Good for ARMA 3, PUBG, Tarkov, etc?

Does Ryzen 5 1600 have XFR enabled? I know it shouldn't because it's not an X model, but I regularly see single-core boosts up to 3.8GHz at stock configuration.

Attached: CP39ZAM_170322_800x800.jpg (800x800, 58K)

Also, when I OC it to 3.7GHz on all cores, I also see single-core boosts up to 3.95GHz.

youtube.com/watch?v=AUyF--fJaaM

There is literally no reason to buy Intel.
>Ryzen wins at low budget
>Ryzen wins at mid-range
>Ryzen gets close at high-range, yet wins at overall usage

I have it and it's fine. yes i have seen the flickers, on unlocked framrates. but overall it's better then not having it.

You will only notice XFR if you have proper cooling. Something bigger than the in the box cooler. I have a 1600X and on a Hyper 212x it reaches 4.1 all cores with XFR.

>But shill would have you believe you should buy their favorite brand and their favorite brand for everything.
>There is literally no reason to buy Intel.
Like fucking clockwork.

I have the stock Spire cooler, and my case has bad airflow. But officially the 1600 (Non-X) shouldn't have XFR. Did they forget to disable it or something?

How about you watch the video?

Is there a way to remove Activate Windows watermark for free?

I have, and I agree it what the person responding to you said. Statements like, "there is literally no reason to buy Intel," make you sound like a shill.
Clearly there is a reason to buy Intel processors beyond hypothetical, invisible, greedy Jewish people, otherwise AMD wouldn't need to compete.

>stock 8400 with ddr4-2666
vs
>stock ryzen 2600 with ddr4-2933
and
>ryzen 4.2 GHZ ryzen 2600 with ddr4-3400

8400 wins vs stock ryzen with better RAM
8400 loses vs the overclocked ryzen with much better RAM

I mean at the very least you could have both have the same RAM.
I mean it's not like RAM prices are fucking sky high right now, buy a ryzen and just throw 300$ RAM on it, why not.

I mean if you want, overclock the ryzen and claim that it's an advantage over the 8400 that is locked, that is at least legit, as much as 8700k being overclocked and raping 2700x or anything ryzen in gaming is legit.
But I really don't see how putting better RAM on one of the CPUS is legit, because again as stated before, RAM costs quite a bit these days.

On the other hand if you just happen to have High performance DRR4 RAM around and you consider which CPU to get then ryzen 2600 is better than 8400.
But again this make little sense, especially how AMD fanboys always bring in motherboard costs or CPU coolers into the whole price equation.

I'm trying to keep the lowest-heat gayming rig I have, in order to bring it into stupid conditions. Liquid cooling also isn't an option.

I might not have time to wait for the 2400GE to launch, but I noticed the 2400G has a "configurable" TDP of 45-65W.

How could I achieve the 45W mode? Just turn off the iGPU?

>implying you can't just overclock your ram from 2666 to 2933

Then why didn't the reviewer do it in his tests to keep things on equal footing?
What is the bloody point of comparing CPUS when you do stuff like give better RAM or better cooling for one or the other CPU, or motherboards...

Why didn't he just overclock the 8400?

because of intel's jewery

Because for Intel RAM speed is 2666 MHz without OC, according to JEDEC, with Ryzen it's 2933

On a z370 board, that is like 30$ more.

Because 8400 has a locked multiplier so it can't be overclocked normally, it's still possible but risky and a lot of hassle, so there is no point in doing it.

>Because for Intel RAM speed is 2666 MHz without OC, according to JEDEC, with Ryzen it's 2933
>intel which has better memory compatibility than ryzen can't use higher than 266MHz RAM
What are you trying to pull here exactly?

can't use Windows 7 with core i7-8xxx chips without a bit of modding due to the soft lock out imposed by Microsoft

Turning the PC off

>can't use Windows 7 with core i7-8xxx chips without a bit of modding due to the soft lock out imposed by Microsoft
Tell me more. Isn't it the same as with ryzen where you just have in embed the usb drivers into the windows installer to get everything working, or are you talking about something else?

Drones are in full damage control over the 8400, there is no reasoning with them

Attached: pcgamer.png (600x774, 164K)

You may remember me from yesterday - I have been having issues installing windows ten on my new WD black HDD, and have consistently gotten errors such as "Windows cannot access the installation sources" or "windows could not format a partition on disk 0". I've done about everything I can imagine from getting multiple different versions of Window 10, 8, and 7 on multiple USB drives, including the one that comes with the physical windows ten copy, i've moved the drives to different sata ports, and put the installer in every usb location on my computer. I've wiped the drives, reformatted them to the right format, and validated that they are working in another system, even still the Bios occasionally refuses to recognize the drive, and I cannot get very far with the installation. I had a call with M$'s level 2 tech support today, but we made no progress and the guy has not called me back.

What the fuck do i do? Am I seriously obligated to go out and get a new build, is there some other way to contact someone higher up the totem pole at microsoft?

>without OC
Are you dumb?

Is 8700k likely to remain the best gaming CPU in the short term? I got a good deal from a friend that runs a delidding business.

>Are you dumb?
Okay let me rephrase it so you will understand hopefully a bit better.
A lot of the higher speed RAMs are just overclocks in the BIOS with profiles, which is why ryzen had such big issues with higher speed RAM at launch, because the motherboards couldn't do it correctly.

Now knowing that the high speed RAM is all just OC that is built in with the motherboard, explain to me exactly why it is that you think intels CPUS can't use it.

I mean for fuck sake
>Because for Intel RAM speed is 2666 MHz without OC, according to JEDEC, with Ryzen it's 2933
>with Ryzen it's 2933
Yet in the same video the reviewer uses 3400 RAM on ryzen. Yet this is entirely fine somehow.

Do you at any point fucking stop and think for one second, there is no consistency here.

Blame JEDEC you dumbass.

>Yet in the same video the reviewer uses 3400 RAM on ryzen. Yet this is entirely fine somehow.

Don't move the goalpost, the original argument was
>>stock 8400 with ddr4-2666
>>stock ryzen 2600 with ddr4-2933

Yes very likely and not just in the short term. The faster connection between the CPUs gives it an edge, also the fact that it can overclock higher and boost the performance of the cores it has.
Literally the only way 8700k would lose it's dominant position as the high end gaming CPU is if suddenly all games that start coming out are all highly optimized for 8 or more CPU cores, if it's less than 8 then the 8700k will automatically win.
The other option is that AMD pulls some magic and makes a gamer specific CPU with low latency between the cores on the new 7nm zen. But I will be honest here, it's likely they will use the same system they have right now. Maybe the 7nm+ will actually give a big enough of a boost to make it equal or better to 8700k in games that use 6 or less games, but again that is optimistic.

There is nothing stoping the reviewer to use the same frequency ram for the stock 8400 vs stock ryzen 2600 test.

>Blame JEDEC you dumbass.
>Don't move the goalpost, the original argument was
No sweetie, look here to refresh your memory
vs
and
>ryzen 4.2 GHZ ryzen 2600 with ddr4-3400

I use faster RAM on ryzen and not equal speed on both in the stock test.
You point out it's because
>muh JEDEC
Yet at the same time ignoring the fact that the reviewer also has a another ryzen test with RAM speeds going to 3400 that also ignore your JEDEC.
And you have the gull, the absolute nerve to say I am moving goalposts when you can't fucking address the inconsistencies in the reviewers testing method, or even your own broken logic that is meant to defend the reviewer methods.

Should I wait for Z390 boards?

Give me one reason, any reason why you would want to?

pcpartpicker.com/list/KwrgbX
cpu is g4560
ssd is given to me for free
temporary gaming pc 1080p 60fps

So since no one ever responds to me I guess that is a pretty good sign I'm fucked?

>There is nothing stoping the reviewer to use the same frequency ram for the STOCK 8400 vs STOCK ryzen 2600 test.

Attached: 1453019395969.jpg (450x351, 29K)

>No sweetie

I can almost see you foaming at the mouth. I will never understand how people get so upset over discussions in PCBG threads.

Attached: 1234567.jpg (1280x720, 112K)

Get a gold rated powersupply, the additional cost usually pays for it self in about a year.
But then again, just how "temporary" is this gaming PC and how many parts do you plan to use in your new one you will eventually make?

Yes, I wish I could help you but I really don't know what do say. I would have tried different USB/CD installs of different windows versions and see what happens but you already did that so....
Also which CPU and motherboard you using?

>There is nothing stoping the reviewer to use the same frequency ram for the stock 8400 vs stock ryzen 2600 test.
>stock
Learn what JEDEC is and then kill yourself.

worst girl.

Worst taste.

Attached: 11223344556677.gif (500x301, 493K)

>how many parts do you plan to use in your new one
just the hdd :). 2019 for AMD looks very promising so i'm waiting out.

Okay, what's stopping him form using equal speed RAM for the Stock versions of the CPU?
Or what is stopping him from using a high speed RAM version on both CPUs?
Explain to me why he can ignore your precious JEDEC and use a 3400 RAM speed on ryzen, but 2933 on intel is literally impossible?

>I can almost see you foaming at the mouth.
What ever helps you feel more secure about your argument. But I hope you understand that doesn't help you win the argument or indeed make your point stronger. All it does it gives you a false sense of reassurance.

I5 4690K on an ASUS z97 Hero. I'm kinda miffed solely because I was pretty sure I could milk the I5 for another two or so years without having to upgrade, but it looks like the tech gods are forcing my hand.

The ASUS support engineer literally told me that "It was Microsoft's fault"

Consider powersupply and case, which are both things you can carry over to your new build.
So you may want to as suggested get a better powersuppy and you may want to get your current case with your future build in mind.
Just some things you can consider.

Why don't they make m2 USB drives yet that shit is insanely small completely surprised vs the photos

It's not impossible, the reviewer could have used 3400 MHz RAM on both Intel and Ryzen I guess, but the stock RAM speed is justified.

Wait so does only windows 10 not work, or windows 7 and 8 are fucked as well?
Didn't you have a working windows 7 version on the computer before?

The overclock, vs the locked cpu is justified, because one can do it and the other can't.
Why is using different RAM speeds justified though? Because I tend to disagree with that statement.

2666 is stock, 2933 on 8400 is considered OC, therefore not stock. If you want to blame anyone for this blame JEDEC.

nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/njZyKB

Thoughts on this build? Want to use it for gayming and the occasional 3d rendering. Probably won't assemble it until summer, are there any things I should change or wait for?

Is it possible that it's some weird issue with booting in UEFI mode or not?