Still falling for the SSD meme

>still falling for the SSD meme

usenix.org/conference/fast16/technical-sessions/presentation/schroeder
>This paper provides a large-scale field study covering many millions of drive days, ten different drive models, different flash technologies
>We see no evidence that higher-end SLC drives are more reliable than MLC drives within typical drive lifetimes.
>Comparing with traditional hard disk drives, flash drives have a significantly lower replacement rate in the field, however, they have a higher rate of uncorrectable errors.

Attached: received_2146845205536918.jpg (620x411, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techspot.com/article/997-samsung-ssd-read-performance-degradation/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>flash drives have a significantly lower replacement rate in the field
yes I did fall for the SSD meme. I go faster too. also saged because you're a poor retard.

Attached: 1469376673831.jpg (462x435, 153K)

Here comes the first shill!
techspot.com/article/997-samsung-ssd-read-performance-degradation/

You can use one type of media to store sensitive shit and another to just fucking enjoy your life, you know. If I suddenly lost everything on my SSD I wouldn't give a shit.

>not storing everything in cloud
lol enjoy your life in 80s grandpa

The biggest benefit provided by my SSD is there is no spin up time/noise.

If my 2TB isn't already chipping away at something I need to wait 5-10 seconds for it to spin up just to grab a minuscule file and then wait forever for it to shut the fuck up and spin down. My HDD is the single loudest thing in my computer.

SSDs have no seem times and thus are infinitely better than any fucking hdd. Even if their read/write speeds were equal. Torture tests show my ssd will survive more than a petabyte of written data. I've written only 8TB in 2 years.

*seek times

So what exactly did this prove, that we didn't already know?

he just wanted to kill a thread

That SSDs are a meme and that no one should use them

>My HDD is the single loudest thing in my computer.
This.

Mechanical hard drives are fantastic for bulk storage and orders of magnitude cheaper than SSDs, but god damn they are so fucking loud and annoying.

My last computer, before I needed much space, only had an SSD. That's it. And most of the time when I turned it on, I had to check for lights to be on and fans spinning to know it was actually on. It was that quiet. Now any time my computer is on, I know it as soon as I walk into my room.

Gonna build me a network file server soon. Still gonna be noisy, but at least it'll be noisy on the other side of the house.

>>We see no evidence that higher-end SLC drives are more reliable than MLC drives within typical drive lifetimes
That's because the typical life of a flash drive is longer than a HDD.
>>Comparing with traditional hard disk drives, flash drives have a significantly lower replacement rate in the field, however, they have a higher rate of uncorrectable errors
>lower replacement rate
>B-BUT UNCORRECTABLE ERRORS
If the replacement rate is lower, the service is overall better, otherwise they would have been replaced sooner.

So the study found that SSDs last longer, which everyone already knew.

>le thread died for this XD
fuck off, like Jow Forums has threads worth keeping

Attached: images (2).jpg (225x225, 11K)

Use an SSD as your OS drive. OS very fast, no noise.

If you need to store large and numerous files use whatever storage drives you can afford.

and this is one of them I'm sure

In 5 years from now on shill gonna says

>he fell for slc meme
>he fell for pcie drive meme

I got an SSD for the speed though

>Not having the best of both worlds.

>sata SSD's cost 20 cent/gb now that 5 times faster pcie ssds are becoming mainstream
I sure hope theres still isn't individuals who store their os on a HDD.

Do you even read your own sources?
It's fucking nothing.

>tried opening a huge visual studio project without an SSD
that wasn't a nice experience

>quieter
>faster
>higher lifespan
>m2 connector
>lower wattage
i bet op's hdd just failed and he doesn't have enough money to afford an ssd

Attached: 1509026919009.png (742x742, 326K)

You are a loser OP