Oh my zsh

does ricers actually use this to rice up their tty?

Attached: daveverwer.jpg (673x374, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.ca/4028942
pastebin.com/3bWZMa1n
ix.io/1ayP
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fbsplash
ix.io/1azz
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fbsplash
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not even a ricer, but I use for the plugins, especially git and kubectl

It does indeed make it easier to use some very cool functionalities of zsh with its pulgins, but I find it too bloated (zsh as a whole is bloated, though) and I did not use all of the features it offered, so I looked for the features I use and wrote them as custom functions on my .zshrc. Before I felt my shell laggy, but after removing it zsh feels much faster.

Try out antigen. Seems nice an fast still

>Before I felt my shell laggy
Nigga what?

It was laggy. Though I must confess that I used a way too fancy theme and way too many plugins.

I need bash to use the package manager and during start-up on my system. Surely it's better to only have one shell installed?

Why the fuck do you need bash for that?

1. ebuilds in portage are written in bash
2. openrc uses bash on boot

Attached: 2018-05-16-173937_356x200_scrot.png (356x200, 16K)

You don't uninstall bash dumb dumb
Zsh is just the user facing shell
Ideally, if your OS supports it, you replace bash with dash as the system shell for speed.

>Surely it's better to only have one shell installed?
I dunno man how much space do you have on your hard drive?

nope

(that's literally my tty btw, no xorg)

Attached: 2018-04-28_02:54:38_1600x900.0.png (1600x900, 1.59M)

honestly, bash has all the features anyone would need

Attached: 2018-05-16-190940_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 498K)

zsh has better tab completion

>not ricing up WSL within VSC
excuse me sweetie?

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f662e636c6f75642e6769746875622e636f6d2f6173736574732f3834333434392f3735303339302f3438 (633x346, 80K)

Comfy for beginners, experts usually know what they want tho.

Go away, botnet cuck

>Go away, buzzword buzzword
Nice one dudette!

Attached: 1_Fg6iOQXpJrZD4lh7WTkI7w.png (1600x1000, 423K)

I used it for syntax highlighting theni realized i didnt need it for that.

I do use grml zsh config. I like that alot. It might seem way way way over my head, will all the stuff i dont use or even know about, but its hardly bloat and made zsh easy to configure without knowing anything about zsh

I think it's better overall. I use a server with log files named roughly like:
type-publickey-privatekey

I can paste the public key into the terminal and tab complete a couple times until I get the right type of log. Slightly faster than typing the whole thing out!

nah, not really
assuming you're using these completion settings though
set completion-ignore-case on
set show-all-if-ambiguous on
set colored-completion-prefix on
set colored-stats on
# Cycle thru completions.
"\e]": menu-complete
"\e[": menu-complete-backward

only thing zsh does here that bash doesn't is highlight the current item you're on when you're cycling through, but 99% of the time that's completely useless
if there's a lot of possible completions, you entering another character to reduce their number is much more efficient than pressing tab dozens of times
and if there isn't, you can just cycle through with tab (or another key in my case) like in zsh if you're lazy to type another character

Yeah man, I sure fucking love it when I rice the start up time of my FUCKING SHELL up to 3 seconds.
Fucking love it, man.

>Comfy for beginners, experts usually know what they want tho.
sounds like a faggot that doesn't have a clue in life would say

You don't need oh my zsh to rice zsh, you can just copy and source some of the files that it uses if you want the completion functionality. Most of the other stuff like themes are pointless bloat because its easy to make your own prompt, same with the plugins other than maybe a few that you could use separately.

My zsh is pretty condensed. Shortened directory path except for the folder I'm in, server visible because it's relevant but username not because I already know my username, each command is a different color so I can quickly tell where one command ends and the next begins.

Attached: zsh.png (582x215, 25K)

you use it for the plugins and some comfy shit you can pull with it.
Try prezto, seem less bloated

Does bash have auto suggest history?

can you post that rc

I've made some observations about people who use zsh and I know why most of them think it's better than bash.

People switch to zsh either to be special snowflakes or because they see cool zsh prompts in desktop threads or because they hear it has better completion (I personally don't think it does).
Most of them have no idea that the same look can be achieved with bash, that you can embed commands into your PS1, they probably haven't heard of PS2, PS3 and PS4 and they probably don't even know what readline is.
They haven't heard of inputrc, they don't know how to add custom keybinds to macros in bash, they don't know that you can change the editing mode of the interactive shell to be Vi-like.
They don't know about incremental search nor do they know about different completion settings.

Some may say that it's better for scripting, but scripting in a non standard shell is pointless, since you still need to know POSIX scripting and in most cases bash, since it has more features than sh and unlike zsh it's everywhere.
If you want to use a sane language for scripting, use python or if you're working on a larger project, you might also want to consider using a non interpreted programming language like C.

Zsh users are mostly ignorant impresionable people, hipsters of all sorts including nu-male macfag webdev sitting at starbucks types and most of them like to pretend to be cool for using a non standard shell while barely having scratched the surface of bash/readline and I do not want to be associated with them in any way.
In order to make an informed decision about which shell to use, you've got to at least know the basics of both shells and what readline is and what you can do with it.

I personally don't see a valid reason to switch to zsh. I think zsh is bloat mostly for the sake of it.
There might be valid reasons to use zsh, but most people certainly don't do it for valid reasons.

Attached: >zshfags.png (798x520, 226K)

Here you go, top part is relevant: pastebin.ca/4028942

The colors don't work perfectly (pic related) but it works well enough for me. One day I'll try to figure out why.

Attached: zsh weaknesses.png (600x160, 22K)

thanks, i appreciate it!

does bash have auto suggest?

I use bash in vi mode and fucked around a bit with my bashrc, but I've been considering switching to zsh so I can mash tab like an idiot until I see the file I want. Can you tl;dr me on the completion settings and incremental search, and maybe ps2-4 if it's not a hassle?

Regardless if I make the switch for my shell or not, I'll continue writing all my non-interactive scripts in bash/dash and my interactive scripts in python. pastebin.com/3bWZMa1n

Does bash have embedded tetris?
Can you guess why not?
That should answer your question.

do you use linux or do you just larp?

my ~/.inputrc should be a good tl;dr
here ix.io/1ayP
search for any keywords (like colored-stats, menu-complete, etc) you're not sure about in the bash man page

GNU/Linux*

what browser is that? looks amazing t b h

What's the point in having 2 shells? It's just twice as much to learn and twice as many config files...

No problem, hope whatever you use from it serves you well!

firefox 55 w/ vimperator and an edit of twily's css

Imagine you install someone else aliases and think about how 'useful' it could be. Protip: it's not.

Parse the source of oh-my-zsh, save what you need, exit.

Why would you bother to configure the shell that apparently only handles your login shit automatically?

that looks terrible user, I'm so sorry

what does your tty look like?
yeah, that's what I thought.

Attached: 2018-04-29_05:20:28_1600x900.0.png (1600x900, 1.23M)

true Jow Forumsentleman

peasant tier, no taste whatsoever

my tty looks like any other sane human being's tty
I use my computer for work and uni so it actually functions, I don't have to look at my tty for long
also, that looks bad, wallpaper is onions and the anime girl is full of aliasing

is that a vostro 3560?

How??

Based bash poster.

>my tty looks like any other sane human being's tty
you mean black and depressing
>I use my computer for blah blah blah
-.-

it's a w520

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fbsplash

Attached: 2018-04-29_05:15:42_1600x900.0.png (1600x900, 1.59M)

I briefly used it. These days I just use my own config for zsh.

I don't see your counterargument
what do you use your computer for?

things that would go way over your head if I started listing them itt

You can rice bash. ZSH is not required to rice.

this ->

>Can't think of anything actually relevant and practical that his computer is used for other than fucking around and looking at hentai
Oh fuck off...

thanks!

>implying

Attached: cute anime pic 0443.png (314x323, 109K)

anime website

I use it fir plugins and a better auto-complete.

B L O A T

i like it isn't posix compliant, but i don't use it since it isn't posix compliant.

>anime neet poster ruins another thread

You're a Gentooman, I expected you to be smarter. zsh can emulate bash and thus serve as a full replacement, however I don't know if ebuilds actually account for this.

>blah blah blah I don't actually know it if works

good post

I'm a fan, personally. Lots of neat features

I'm not a neet

Attached: cute anime pic 0001.png (300x300, 25K)

anime website

>and an edit of twily's css
mind sharing?

i7-2620qm powerhouse but pretty hot. did your machine also have an Nvidia 540m or similar in it too? mine did back in the day

here ix.io/1azz

it has an nvidia quadro 1000m but I disabled it in bios
it's not that hot, most of the time it's below 55 degrees

>here ix.io/1azz
ty

function most_useless_use_of_zsh {
local lines columns colour a b p q i pnew
((columns=COLUMNS-1, lines=LINES-1, colour=0))
for ((b=-1.5; b

No Ubuntu support? I am too much of a brainlet to install gentoo but I want pretty things.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fbsplash

thanks for proving my point

rice you own PS1

sure
if it helps you feel better

Just use fish.

I use zsh, but looking at the fish docs saw that it had optional dependencies and stuff to do python autocompletion. bpython already does that for me but do you use it for anything like that? is it nicer?