Your IT/Tech related job?

Describe a typical day in your IT/Tech related job please Jow Forumsentlemen.

Attached: moss-it-crowd.jpg (650x400, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/c_fBOxdrVdU
archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/text/I bet you’re the guy who made the thread whining about “obvious Disney shills”/page/1/
youtube.com/watch?v=iptUNUFdyas
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

posting apple shill threads on Jow Forums
>wake up
>check my inbox
>list of topics I have to post about
>start by posting a new thread
>argue with some ppl
>get lunch
>come back and do it again
>Check my account
>300 rupees deposited
>thank u kind sir

Willies, willies, I like willies!

I LOVE willies!

youtu.be/c_fBOxdrVdU

IT are literally useless freeloaders that indian poo-in-loos could take over the job. They will be obsolete when competent chatbots can diagnose issues for customers and people become more tech savvies.

IT people are generally the most technologically inept people I meet

t. Network Engineer

Having a cisco cert doesn't make you not part of IT, you deluded cunt.

The IT Crowd is certainly not a good portrayal of what working in Tech is like. Guess it all depends on where you work, though.
At my job, there is very little downtime, because it seems as if people are incapable of taking basic care of their shit.
Got called out to an office because a doctor's PC "ISN'T WORKING HELP." Ticket literally said that, just that, caps and all. Asked for more info, but the ticket stayed the queue, because you can't expect people to keep a rapport with you.
Called, no answer. Had to physically drive out on location. PC booted with an odd error message about the HDD not being detected. Opened the PC up, found the SATA cable was slightly loose. Plugged it back in and the shit worked like new.
Told the doctor to stop kicking his computer, since it was placed under his desk.
Just yesterday I walked in on a bunch of screaming HR reps trying to work a Ricoh MP6054. They had all trays of the printer flung open, toner and fucking ink everywhere. They're screaming at each other and cursing. I walked by unnoticed, thank God, and left the building ASAP.
You learn to do the least amount of work possible. At least, that's the case in the beginning. 'Cause then you realize slacking off can actually be the root of much larger and more complex problems down the line.
It'd be a much easier job if people understood how computers work. You'd expect people who use PCs everyday for work purposes to have some basic proficiency. This is not the case.

It's a comedy, it's not really about life as a tech support monkey at all. the characters just happen to work in the IT department, but the show isn't really about that.

>morning SCRUM brings up a handful of projects I've never heard of
>Listen to coworkers complain about things
>Deliver my report, highlighting 3-4 things that are waiting on feedback/access/content from someone in the room
>Go to my desk and check a bunch of system monitors, investigate and clear soft alerts
>Listen to coworkers complain about each other
>1 of the blocking issues gets cleared, i move forward with the project
>Fix some issue that's been happening for 5+ years
>Conference call with corporate about some dumb structural rework to security/access/ticketing/content delivery, and how Microsoft is changing _______ so be ready for ________
>Finish my scheduled work for the day, go poking around for more projects
>Listen to coworkers complain about sports
>Find another issue that's been happening for 5+ years
>Get basic info from developer who setup whatever, figure out they either did something really dumb and fix it or determine our use of extremely outdated systems is the problem and start an upgrade project
>Listen to coworkers complain about the stock market
>Meet with some old ladies about how they don't like the new ticketing system i built for them
>Listen to them complain about how much better things were 10 years ago when they only received 1/100 the requests, and how they like just using email
>Get lunch around 3
>Listen to coworkers complain about their families
>Give up on pretending to listen and pipe white noise through my headphones
>Insane levels of productivity on self started projects to fill gaps in existing products or simplifying cumbersome processes
>Look up at 700 and realize everyone is gone
>Sip more coffee and enjoy the silence
>Create/update tickets to show my boss how awesome i am
>Leave

If everyone would just shut the fuck up every once in a while, I'd really love my job.

cute.

You guys working with Microsoft/Apple based product support have nerves of steel. I'm working with Linux/Virtualization/Networking support and every time I hear a stories or calls from our Windows department I just get sad. You guys are trying to help people working in healthcare/business environments who don't have a clue about basics. Fucking clients, eh?

which is never. people don't understand politics, so we have politicans, people don't understand medicine, so we have health care professionals, etc, etc, etc

stop being a mongloid.

10 rupees per (You)

I sit at a computer and browse Jow Forums all day. Like I'm doing right now

>wake up
>check email
>solve problems

Don't have any certs, been working for an ISP for 4 years and learned everything on the job and moved up by fixing everyone's corner-cutting fuck ups.

H1B hires are the worst. They have degrees and certifications but can't diagnose routing loops that they introduced by improperly configuring VLANs. I thought this was basic shit.

>badge into secured floor
>badge to clock in
>sit at desired work station for the day
>boot my machine up
>log in, start up all my tools/browsers/etc.
>put myself as available
>remote in to computers and fix their software
>constant boomers with AOL emails
>borderline retarded bongs regularly
>pajeets trying to scam free shit
>uni students who delete their work
>people angry that X isn't a feature
>incompetent coworkers who need hand-holding
some of it is nice
>free catering bi weekly
>flexible hours
>job is stupid easy
>special projects are comfy

Attached: Microsoft-Office-Logo.png (400x400, 51K)

You're describing managers.

How paranoid do you need to be to think people need to be paid to talk about a tech company on a tech board?

>You'd expect people who use PCs everyday for work purposes to have some basic proficiency. This is not the case.
Yeah, most don't bother with going beyond just using a computer for work. They don't care to learn how it works. Only care that it does.

Wander in
Check email
Check ticket queue
Work on automatically projects until/unless tickets come in
Repeat
Remind coworkers I leave in thirty minutes, continue working
Have random manager scramble to me ten minutes before I leave with an "urgent issue" that is only an issue because they didn't manage to tell me two weeks ago when the devs brought it up.
Fix if I can, explain it's a tomorrow issue if it will make me miss my ride.
Answer less urgent emails from managers who send them after I'm done for the day, during my commute

Get into the office
Look at git issues
Pick one
Fix it
Repeat
Sometimes have to write something totally new and shout at people because they didn't give me a specification
Have lunch
Repeat as before
Go home

>9:00 am arrive at job
>9:00 check emails, check nightly build, read hackernews, read local newspaper & get a coffee
>10:15 restroom
>10:45 team daily
>11:15 start programming
>12:30 lunch
>1:00 pm programming again
>2:00 pm Mo,We,Fri head to the gym. Otherwise meetings || programming
>4:00 pm at work again, another coffee &programming. Grab a piece of cake from whoever has his/her birthday today
>~6:00 pm head home

pretty comfy

>work mon-thurs
>fix easy issues
>don't sperg out that not everyone knows everything about computers because that's why they hired me

You guys are retards

>come in around 9:30
>check e-mail and tickets
>IT manager only lets me handle small issues, like password resets and printer fixes
>oh no something major has broken
>IT manager berates me for not fixing it, even though it's a system he's never shown me before
>tries to walk me through fixing it, yells at me if I don't follow his instructions to a tee
>take lunch whenever, usually at my desk
>shitpost on Jow Forums
>watch some training videos
>go home at around 6:00

first IT job. how'd i do?

Attached: 1b5aa888626fec0038d724d30e23b29452e301c0751aceb8e4c4a6df23ed3ec1.jpg (380x385, 8K)

>getting yelled at the job frequently

why are you still there? Doesn't sound you are learning much either

Attached: could you not.jpg (620x589, 32K)

You walk out to your car in the morning
Get in, buckle up, check that the gear is in park, put the key in the ignition, apply pressure to the brake, and turn the key
All you hear are a series of rapid clicks, but the engine doesn't turn over

Q: What are the first three remedial actions/inspections that you might do to resolve the problem?

>Most people don't bother going beyond driving a car. They don't care how it works, only that it does.

>wake up and prepare myself
>1h travel to work
>coffee, getting online at 8x8 and review some tickets
>9am
>Chaos until 18:00, we're only 4 technicians for 1500 users
>Arrive home depressed and stressed
>Repeat for 1 year 3 months

>Get a job offer from another country
>Get hired
>Starting in a few weeks

I grab another car and jump start it.

>IT is just helpdesk
I guess it would seem easy if you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/text/I bet you’re the guy who made the thread whining about “obvious Disney shills”/page/1/

It is a verifiable fact that paid shills are active on Jow Forums.

1. Kick it
2. Open the bonnet, and look around inquisitively for a while
3. Punch it

Insuring that the battery is sufficiently charged is the correct first step and the most likely source of the problem

Step two is to inspect the starter to insure that it isn't stuck/locked. Sometimes frost, for example, can lock the starter. A quick blow with a rod or a hammer will fix this (even a stick will work)

The next step is to begin full remedial actions, beginning with inspections of the cheapest and easiest fixes first and working up from there, so step three is to inspect the starter relay switch ( a $20 part) and the starter fuse (a $20 part right next to the switch)

>tfw you've been corrupted by Jow Forums and read "botnet" instead

>arrive at work
>Program
>Go home

Right now I'm on the Tues-Fri tier 3 network support / cyber ops (military) team:

>Wake up at 5AM
>Show up at 6
>Check turnover log from nights to see if anything interesting happened
>Meet at 6:30 to see what "missions" we're assigned today
>Work any issues that get pushed my way
>Shitpost
>Lunch from 11:30 to 12:30
>Debrief at 3:30
>Go home

When I'm off the team I usually spend my time optimizing/automating process and performing maintenance tasks like IOS upgrades.

>IT are literally useless
you seem like a retard who writes dumb emails to it
I would like to see how a chatbot will fix your sharepoint issue next time..

> sharepoint
I am SO sorry.

>go to job
>Go surf internet
>Get my self lunch and coffe
> Internet, chatt with coworkers
>One in milion years repair gps, phone or laptop
> Go home

>having the ability to leave a job if you don't like it
>2018

i need to eat and not be homeless

>not looking for another job while maintaining your current job during the transition
>any time
You'll learn or not

>Get in
>Read email
>Do literally no work for 7 hours
>Go home

I don't do anything and I get paid. Nothing!

>get in at 6am
>bootup laptop and dongle phone to it so I have unmonitored internet
>shitpost till 9am
>time to do something
>other teams come by asking for my help with [git|visual studio|c#|etc]
>help them until 11am
>eat lunch
>play vidya on the toilet till 1pm
>do actual work till 2pm
>shitpost until closing time

And sometimes, before CL stopped allow casual encounters, I used to find skags to fuck over lunch break

tbqh that's kinda disgusting, but you know that Tinder is a thing now that lets you do essentially the same thing?

Yeah, but tinder seems like too much work in comparison. CL was basically one or two emails in the morning, and a hummer at lunch. CL was pretty good for getting right to the point - no one is there for anything but disgusting kinks.

True.
Tinder is more the classical hookup, not straight strangers fucking.

HELL
wake up at 7AM
shower
check 3 of the 12 most critical systems
travel 1 hour to the office
everything is not working as expected
try to request permission to fix the systems. Ignored.
Receive more and more systems poorly implemented.
Try to design an improvement plan. Ignored.
More and more tickets about mundane shit like "slow system" and "printer not working"
Try to patch and upgrade the systems while working on those tickets
5PM go home
Still get calls about mundane shit
Checking printers, backups, jobs

No weekends, no holidays.

>bootup laptop and dongle phone to it so I have unmonitored internet

My first tech job was at a school district. My boss was such a fucking pro that he had residential cable internet installed in his office, without anyone knowing. He had a second PC hooked up to it, and would just do whatever without worrying about the district monitoring.

>wake up
>too many things to do, too little time
>get a bunch of project leads yelling at me for not spending time on their project
>leader then emails me after she's gotten a mail from a PL - tells me to focus on that project
>expects me to drop everything whenever something else comes up and fix it even though I don't have time
>my "to-do" queue is building every week

I don't care tho, not my fault if they don't allocate enough people.

Just make sure to document your time user.
Possibly have another job on the back burner in case management decides to throw you under the bus for their failure. I'd be afraid of the "oh our developer wasn't outputting enough, we're replacing him".

you're describing 1 and 2nd line support. Good job.

Thats a boss after my own heart.

Thankfully, I don't really care its not around anymore. It was mostly just another way to distract myself. I just waste more time here is all.

lol, he's probably one of those clueless people that think you just gotta connect all the computers up to the internet, and boom, IT!

Networking, sysadmins, databases, etc mean nothing.

One of the most fun jobs I had, but sadly it was a temp position that paid $10/hr.

>Muh helbdesk job sucks, the users are stubid

An A+ cert is worth less than an HVAC cert, that money could have been better spent on a cert that would land you something better than a $13/hr yob.

Also the 'Stubid normies' see you as no more than the janitor. Have you ever considered they break their pc's on purpose so they can fuck off until your spergy ass shows up? The icing on their cake is when you fool yourself into LARPing as RMS because you rebooted their pc.

Attached: 1526054383416.gif (260x146, 1.14M)

How much do you guys get paid, how you get into IT? Do you have to get certs and shit first?

I'm an office drone atm, looking for something else.

And how do you not get caught browsing internet? There's like no privacy where I work atm, all monitors face outwards, and there's always someone behind you.

I fix digital cameras for a living
i take them apart, remove the broken pcarts, and replace them with good parts
I also spend time doing the various calibrations required

60k + very good benefits as an AD admin

I'm
46k gross, about 32k after taxes though. That's the price of living in a big city.

My boss is fine with me browsing Jow Forums and reddit during my offtime though.

Last guy who had my job quite because it was too much small things that could go wrong.
I automate everything with bash and keep an eye on anything that could go wrong with a pimp up zabbix.
Now days i just play run&scape at work...

Bad manger, bad mentor. Sorry user.

As he puts it: "I'm not your professor or your teacher, I'm your boss. If you want a teacher, go to a college course".

I mean... he's not wrong. But this IS my first job in this field and I'm only 20 for christ's sake.

>go into work
>Refill printers, get coffee, check emails
>Work on some busy work .docx manual for my autistic boss passively throughout the day
>Do actual IT work 3 times a day when an co worker needs help
>Shit post on Jow Forums all day while passively looking for PC component deals
>End of day talk to autistic boss about my productivity for the day, he's literally autistic so he can't end a conversation easily
>Held up fifteen minutes after I'm off because he can't end the conversation and has looped back to telling me the same thing for the 3rd time
>Go home upset by my autistic boss

Attached: 1243937033_tsimfuckis.webm (380x285, 166K)

>commute 1.5hrs-3hrs depending on traffic
>show up just before dawn
>sit at cubicle and check messages and mail
>get chewed out by super cause his daughter is a whore and he takes it out on his subs
>resolve issues until lunch
>eat bag lunch at my desk and do some walking and calesthenics to stay skinny-fit
>resolve more issues and then get another earful near shift end
>send out some mail and go commute home 1.5-3hrs
>say hi to my kids that I see once a day for about an hour before I have to sleep
>dream of another job

6 months later
>commute 15 mins to my new job as apprentice carpenter
>work for 10 hours with infrequent breaks
>go home and read or play games with my kids
>dream about better pay

There's no way to win, but at least I have time to live again.

Our desks are kind of tiered in elevated rows with the desks facing the downhill side. The main walkway is in the back, so nobody really sees your screen unless they're scoping in on you or you're unlucky in the back row.
That, and nobody cares that you're fucking off as long as shit gets done.

user, your kids will remember and cherish the time you spent with them as they grew up, not how fat your bank account was.

>log in and pray for no issues overnight
>Sigh and plough through the flood of emails
>Finally get down to bidniss and write a few lines of code
>Manager waddles over and sits next to me
>"user can you just do..."
>Finish stupid task that takes far too long and write a few more lines of code
>manager waddles over
>"user can you just..."
>repeat x number of times
>"user why is this project taking so long it should be released by now"

And it fucking well would be if you'd stop derailing it every 5 minutes

I've had this problem for a while, I've just started turning my instant messenger off and checking it twice a day.

Its the only way you can get extended periods of focus because nobody gives a fuck about your time.

If something actually important needs doing, it involves somebody getting off their arse and coming to see me in person.

Jow Forums isn't a place for pajeets, gtfo.

Attached: 1526244510250.jpg (1280x720, 40K)

The worst part is that all the little jobs are fixing db fuckups because past devs clearly weren't given the time to fool proof everything. So it's entirely his own making. It's like he's forever bashing his head against a wall then wondering why he's got a headache

>log in
>try not to kill myself for the next 12 hours
>log out

>Wake up
>Jerk off morning wood and blue balls from fantasy of previous night
>Wash hands
>Turn on laptop
>Drink coffee and get breakfast
>Sit down at desk
>Write down when I start
> do software engineering
>Eat lunch when I'm hungry
>Work until dinner or nuff hours made
>Write down time when I stopped working
>The day is done

>wake up check email
>drive into the city to my ofice
>log in check emails again
>grab coffee take a fat shit
>have a smoke AD admin is stupid easy
>infrastructure checks till lunch
>eat lunch at the park, check out the yoga pants
>come back from lunch spin up a server, maybe shitpost a little
>do some project work
>go home to my beautiful wife and daughter
>don't even LOOK at a computer while at home
das it mane 68.5K/year

I know the feeling, nobody makes things easy on themselves or optimises for long term gain rather than shitting poor quality updates out for the client.

Attached: 20622174_259164194575868_6007467671192762_n.jpg (624x605, 31K)

>wake up at 8:30-9am
>get dressed and get in around 9:30am or so
>get coffee, talk with coworker for a bit while I do so or before I start
>continue programming / scripting / fixing what was leftover from yesterday before I left
>occasionally have a meeting or two in the beginning of the week
>go with coworker(s) for lunch at about 11:15ish or so
>go somewhere nearby for an hour
>get back and continue until about 4:40pm then leave

I like what I do; impacts all corners of the company, just me and two other people in the team too. I get to write most of the tooling and define the processes of how stuff is done for us, and can take things at our own pace. On call is quiet for the most part since we've mitigated pretty much all the real issues aside from the occasional freak issue.

Why did they kill that show?

80k, +18% in cash bonuses, 6% match to my 401k, I contribute 12%, bonuses to 401k up to 19%

Realistically that's about ~53k/yr, or $4400 a month. I have no certs, just a BS in IT. Tinkered a bunch, learned tons on my own, got an internship, made a huge impact, got hired and promoted quickly.

>And how do you not get caught browsing internet? There's like no privacy where I work atm, all monitors face outwards, and there's always someone behind you.
I just go on my phone or don't. I focus at work so I can not focus later. Though realistically it doesn't matter, no one micromanages us nor cares. After work I don't do anything work related, no matter what unless it's a page for something our team manages.

>wake up hung over
>trudge over to espresso maker
>get high waiting for coffee
>put too much creamer in
>pet my cats on the window sill
>browse Jow Forums while sitting through meetings all day
>5pm rolls around
>_actual_ programming until 9-10pm.
>drinking and vidya games.
>pass out after a half-assed wank

Attached: 1525207584868.gif (300x300, 1.75M)

Position:part time IT guy/whatever my boss thinks is an IT issue at a relatively small electrician/Larm company
>drag my ass to work
>fill up a cup of coffee
>few people work at the office so take a walk and see if something needs immediate fixing
>ask boss what he wants me to fix, 50% it's not really IT stuff that I don't have a clue about
>spend day fixing/Learning said thing
>go home
8/8 work environment plus get to learn new shit fairly often

>most people aren't essentially tech illiterate

Wait, do you get paid nothing? Why is that "nothing" there?

>hurr unfunny Reddit nigger ebin xdd

I agree.
>I make the CCNA first module
>I know how to make a gaming computer
>I can buy in the deepweb
>I am the hackerman!
I just need a need mouse, dude...

>get into work at 9:00, say good morning to team
>check emails
>go for coffee break with team
>spend couple hours bored on stackoverflow and leddit
>go for lunch with team, 13:00
>take a half-hour long "shit" (read: play on my phone in the cubicle)
>bored
>coffee break with team again
>finally do some work for a couple hours
>17:30 walk home

>arrive at company where we destroy hard drives
>sit at desk for 8 hours browsing Jow Forums
>go home
>repeat

>show up at 8 am
>handle tickets of business people being unable to use their 35 year old software
>hour lunch playing clash royale
>handle tickets of business people not being able to connect their printers
>go home at 5 and ignore my own messed up PC
>sit in awe at all of the "experience" I am getting

>wake up around 9
>attend a telco meeting (30min or less)
>shower/eat breakfast
>drive to work* (*not on remote days)
>assign myself a ticket, read problem description
>spend 2 hours on reading the code
>go to lunch
>attempt to reproduce the issue
>spend few hours trying to fix it and write tests for it
>commit & push
>review someone else's ticket
>go home*
>turn off work laptop

8 hours/day technical support.
Hardware stuff, helping dumb chads and stacies to work with Office.
Helping setting up Skype calls, creating new e-mail accounts, formatting Windows 7... installing drivers and stuff like that.
Also, I organize and manage reconciliation files for my company's clients on FTP, I set up the automatic flow of processing these files and I need sql to do that.
That's it.

How do you feel about programmers? They could do your job but you couldn't do theirs.

>wake up
>drive to work
>prepare a mug of oatmeal
>read e-mails
>fuck around with servers for an hour or 2 because the person before me only did the bare minimum and never wrote documentation
>eat lunch
>record a seminar for an hour, while fucking around on my phone
>fuck around with more servers
>go home
>eat dinner
>jerk off
>go to bed

It's a pretty easy life

Attached: brush.jpg (1280x720, 125K)

Here's me on my typical day at my IT job:

youtube.com/watch?v=iptUNUFdyas

Kinda bored as you can tell haha

not him, but a support grunt and a coding pajeet have very little in common. Support has a shallow understanding of everything and development has a deep understanding of one thing.

comparing two starting level positions is hardly productive, user. those hourly rates are peanuts, no matter what cubicle you are in

>

Attached: 3.jpg (470x267, 18K)

I'm a senior dev and I've worked with IT.
>Support has a shallow understanding of everything and development has a deep understanding of one thing.
People like me have both and then some.

Hahahhaa the point about visas and certs is legit. So many people can't troubleshoot correctly for shit...

What ISP/MSP you at?

Have you worked with dmvpns?

I'm very lazy and prone to procrastination.

is that notorious alt right comedian beardson beardo?

your english understanding is shallow then, as the post is clearly citing entry positions

add some remedial classes to your "then some"

>Hey, man, I keep getting this error. It was working last month and I really need this document like right now brother.
>Of course I have an account already!