Windows -> Q4OS

Guys, long story short, I want to switch to Linux.
I've done some VMware testing, and aside from a few elements looking wonky in SubtitleEdit via mono, and a very important macros not working in Word 2007 via wine (which i might find workaround later), I'm kinda ready to try Q4OS as my main OS.

Should I go for it?

Pros
>been trying to jump off Windows for years, and MacOS sound like a just another side of a corporate medal
>gaming, which was stopping me before, is no longer an issue - everything I cared about is dead
>Windows is heading into an abyss with Win 10

Cons
>linux is still not a desktop OS - WAY too many times I have to open terminal to do basic shit that on Windows I do in 2 clicks
>a bunch of software I need is not present on Linux natively (MPC-HC, SubtitleEdit, Paint.net, local map app etc.), and "emulation" is limited
>a bunch of stuff that on Windows has GUI, on linux - doesn't
>something unexpected might and probably will go wrong

Attached: q4os.png (200x200, 12K)

bump.

Attached: 220px-Tux.png (220x261, 39K)

Use the Google.

>WAY too many times I have to open terminal to do basic shit that on Windows I do in 2 clicks
For example...?

>a bunch of software I need is not present on Linux natively
So what? I also use a lot of software that wouldn't run natively on windows. You're supposed to use softwares that support your platform. There are places where this is a problem (like photoshop, which doesn't have a real alternative) but you came up with pretty shitty examples. If you need a piece of software that much, just use a virtual machine. (and wine is not an emulator)

>a bunch of stuff that on windows has gui on linux doesn't
Again, for example...?
You're using a pretty shitty distro if this is true.

>For example...?
Installing stuff, running stuff (SE has to be called via mono), using stuff
> but you came up with pretty shitty examples
That's your opinion. I can, maybe, replace MPC-HC with something linux-native, but SE has no real alternatives in terms of supported input formats, and switching to something like aegisub would take months of getting used to, completely killing my workflow
>Again, for example...?
OpenVPN, 7zip etc.
>You're using a pretty shitty distro if this is true.
Which one would you suggest? At this point I need something that looks like Windows, and I don't wanna risk replacing default GUI on other distros with the one q4os uses, because I'm net to linux, and not sure how it will affect the system

Just use fucking Windows if you can't solve your own damn problems.

Linux community in a nutshell. thx

Ubuntu? Mint? Debian? Fedora?

Don't come to Linux expecting windows then.

I want to switch to linux but without pain of diving straight-forward into a different environment. I never riced Windows, so I've gotten entirely used to its default GUI structure and way of doing things.

>Installing stuff
most package managers on linux have a gui frontend

>running stuff
what the fuck? why would you need a terminal to do that?

>SE has to be called via mono
right click and then click "run with mono" or something, just like you would do in windows, or just add it to your "start menu" and don't worry about it.

>OpenVPN
you can set it up from gui.

>7zip
you can open/extract .7z files with a gui.

>I want to switch to a different platform without the pain of diving into a different platform
Sure.

Use Linux Mint. It's the most user-friendly distro out there. It doesn't look exactly like windows, but cinnamon is similar enough to not get confused when you use it for first time.

>"Hey, user, I know I can teach you to drive a car by starting in a calm, safe environment, but I think I'm gonna make your drive down a busy street on our first lesson instead"

Switching OS is less risky than learning to drive, guy. RTFM and use the search engine.

you can't expect linux to be windows because it isn't. you can use a DE like kde plasma that LOOKS like windows, but it is still not windows.
It's like applying a IOS theme on your android thinking it will allow you to run IOS apps.

>>gaming, which was stopping me before, is no longer an issue - everything I cared about is dead
that feel

Attached: the kind of tired.jpg (500x356, 65K)

I know, but my point is that having familiar GUI will ease the learning process, Once i learn linux enough, I can switch to something else.

ok, guys, last question: if i install Linux on SSD, completely formating it to whatever file system it uses by default, will i be able to keep accessing my HDD with NTFS?

Attached: Untitled.png (530x460, 8K)

Non-Windows operating systems can read and write to NTFS. If you reformat the drive to something else, the data will be lost.
If I understand you correctly, you'll be fine. (format SSD, not format HDD, hdd = accessible)

Yes, that's right, thanks.

Depending on how your setup or distribution is though, you may have to install extra packages/modules, or set up mount points and shit.

I doubt it though, more than likely Q4OS will have it already, detect it, and automount it somewhere noticeable.

By the way, is systemd really that scary? q4os apparently has it too

I'm a Windows and FreeBSD user so I don't actually know.

>Which one would you suggest? At this point I need something that looks like Windows
A KDE based system, such as Kubuntu.

I believe it should have tools for what you ask for without having to resort to the command line. At least it works for me.

Muon to install etc. Most file managers should be able to zip/unzip etc.

No, a lot of Jow Forums users are just autistic and bandwagoning

Btw. Don't use a crappy distro.
If you want Kde, use Kubuntu.
If you want a windows like desktop, use Linux Mint.

Just remember: NEVER use Kmail.

You can partition into several partitions, say one for NTFS, one for FAT and one ext2fs, where FAT is the safe way to transfer between the operating systems.

If youre just getting into linux and you want a familiar environment, try something mainstream like Mint or Ubuntu MATE. The worst mistake people make is picking some obscure distro that nobody uses, expecting it to act like windows, and not being able to find any support for it online.

If you're using a normie distro then it's possible to use linux without even using the terminal but I highly suggest you learn the basics of it because if you have a problem it's almost guaranteed you'll have to open the terminal. also installing applications and editing text in the terminal is much faster than doing it in a gui. sounds completely bonkers to a windows user but it's true

>it's possible to use linux without even using the terminal
it's possible if all you're going to do is use the default browser
but it's absolutely necessary otherwise
it's unavoidable