/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla/github where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1497888569882.jpg (1108x788, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open-source_wireless_drivers
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1019100
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Debian + Xfce is the best combo.
It's GNU/Linux, not Linux.
Do not use proprietary software.

Is it better than parabola gentoo manjaro with the same de? Why? Help me

Install GuixSD

I wanted seamless access to my files from both operating systems with no compatibility issues, to be able to read and write from both windows and linux. Clearly this is too much to ask because the file systems are too different.

for example, say I have memeimage1.png. I made this image on linux and have it saved on the data partition in a linux filesystem. now I go into win 8 for some reason or another, and I decide I want to edit memeimage1.png in MSpaint and then save it.

you said "Writing to them is usually not recommended." which I assume means that writing to a linux file system using windows is generally not possible or will cause issues.

If that's not possible (I had a feeling it wasn't from the start) or is far too complicated to get it to work well then i might as well just separate the two operating systems all together. I really only need linux because i'm going to school in the fall and I'm going to be using it in some of my courses. I can keep my meme images and school shit on the windows part

I like it because it is free software only, very stable and low maintenance. Parabola/Arch documentation is without match albeit it's usually very easy to adapt the instructions to other distros if necessary. I'm the girl that recommended Parabola to you in the las thread. I have no objective objections against either, Debian or Parabola, it's a matter of personal preference.

Just set up Debian in VBox.
I don't want to install a desktop environment because reasons, but would definitely be interested in a custom font, resolution, and possibly colorization for the.. shell? What is the environment even called when you don't have a desktop, but just a CLI?

Attached: 1478361523368.jpg (480x480, 32K)

tty/text console

It's called tty. Shells are command interpreters such as bash. You might want to take a look at terminal multiplexers such as tmux and GNU Screen. I prefer the former.

Alright, cheers. I'll get to googling.

Attached: 1446326290307.png (457x723, 56K)

>because reasons
You can use a mouse in the FreeBSD TTy, or at least could back in ~2010. I don't know if this is possible with GNU/Linux. There are tiny Xorg implementations, you could use that with an also tine WM just for stuff that don't have a good text alternative.

Attached: autism counter peaking.gif (480x281, 124K)

NTFS-3G on Linux
Ext2Fsd on Windows

Use ext2 partitions on Linux.

>Use ext2 partitions on Linux.
Don't do that. ext2 drivers for windows are capable of reading ext3 and ext4. Even if they were not it wouldn't be worth using ext2.

Use a search engine which respects your privacy instead

Install GNU/GuixSD.
Let the Shepherd guide you.

Why is shepherd not brought up more as an alternative to systemd? Can't other distros use it too?
Is it significantly different for some reason? I'm under the impression that it's an init system, with a little bit of systemd-like features.

Reading, yes. Writing, no.

I think I've run into a roadblock. The laptop I have sports a Qualcomm qca61x4a 802.11ac wireless adapter which I may not be able to utilize with free only distributions correct? And that's a pretty big thing for me because this is my laptop

Its own devs consider it still in alpha. Maybe others will consider it once it becomes more stable.

I think all Qualcomm cards use Atheros chipsets. Some have free firmwares, others do not. You can still use a free distribution only but you may need to install the non free firmware. Debian has a non free repo, parabola does not. In the case of the latter you will have to install the firmware manually, which is relatively simple task.

does anyone have that two-panel reaction image where stallman's laptop says ">your post" and he has his eyes closed with a disapproving expression

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open-source_wireless_drivers

I only have this one.

Attached: staring at post in disregard.jpg (528x628, 45K)

I also have this one but you would need to edit the ">your post". If you do so please post it here.

Attached: 1481198598337.jpg (939x626, 149K)

What's the best shell?
>fish
autocompletions are nice, but for some autistic reason it's not POSIX compliant.
>bash
bloat with no features, I'd use mksh if I wanted this.
>zsh
was pretty nice when I used it actually

any shell I'm missing?

Bash

i tried

Attached: stallman.png (939x626, 769K)

>I think all Qualcomm cards use Atheros chipsets
I should hope so. They own Atheros.

one without the anonymous text as well for good measure

Attached: stallman2.png (939x626, 759K)

>Your post.

Alright i have been searching through the entire web: How the fuck do i stop Firefox from applying my dark GTK theme all over the webpages? sames happens with Chromium. Im fucking tired of trying to do it with several different methods but none seem to work with Quantum. Can anyone help me? Some webpages looks like garbage i just want them to look plain black over white.

What are the advantages of using ncmpcpp over cmus?

Why is your theme affecting webpage content in the first place? If I apply a dark theme webpages are unaffected and it's only the window itself that has the theme.

Maybe it's your theme itself that is going above and beyond and including special webpage specific CSS tweaks? Try a different dark theme and see if it does the same.

Should I use full blue background?

Attached: your post.png (939x626, 680K)

Also obviously made with The GIMP.

Thats the thing, im on default theme (pic related) but the controls of webpages look like the dark theme too, in fact, even if i change the theme to the white one, the controls still look like garbage. will post pic

Attached: Screenshot_20180516_204932.png (328x492, 24K)

Sometimes the text is just unreadable. for example black background with black text.

Attached: Screenshot_20180516_205254.png (404x166, 9K)

Perhaps I should have used a riced desktop with anime background screenfetch. But I don't have time now.

The big one I think is tag editing. Then a second reason is the textual visualizer which is pretty cool in screenshots.
Other than that I think people are attracted to it because of mpd, and just the personal preference of having a server+controller combo rather than a single music player interface, and you can actually use it to more or less host a radio station on your machine and control it over ssh, your phone, or web clients.

Very nice.

I can't see pics. Have them blocked right now.
But the only things on a webpage which should pick up your GTK theme are inputs. E.g. file upload buttons, or text input boxes.

If that's what your issue is then a quick and dirty fix would be to get some addon like stylish and use it to globally set your input styles to what you want. (there might be a way to do it in the GTK theme itself for specifically browser windows but I'm not sure).

Other than that your theme should be having no effect at all on website content.

My issue is exactly what you said. im going to try Stylish, thanks for the help user.

When you are able to see pictures plese take a look at my new Stallman meme.

heh, I was actually already planning on it.

Actually here is a better solution using a firefox config file userContent.css
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1019100

Here's my list of Distros that have failed to display or boot all the way through on Live USB
>PCLinuxOS
>MX Linux
>Linux Mint
Will try Tumbleweed soon to see if it has the correct packages built in
>Ryzen 2400g w/ RX580 dGPU
I think what's happening is when the Live USBs are compiling, they only see the Vega iGPU and freak out without even bothering to notice the RX 580, would this be possible? Is the only way around this to make a Live USB of the most up-to-date bleeding edge distro?

Can I turn the Vero 4K into a mini pc ? The goal is replace OSMC with Arch or Manjaro.

Hello,

I am stuck between two choices:
Parabola GNU/Linux OpenRC edition
Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Any ideas? Looking for stability :)

There are people here who use GNOME apps even under KDE Plasma? How do you deal with CSD? Do you remove the KDE's title bar? Tell me.

Use one until you find out it's not what you need, then decide between fixing it and switching.

>arch vs. frankendebian for "stability"
[x] audible kek

I prefer the KDE title bar because I can wrap the window by rolling the mouse wheel on it

Tell me about ElementalOS.
How is it?
Can its DE be used on an Ubuntu 18.04 release?
What are its strong points?

I'd use parabola. Simply because it's longer in the game.

Oh and remember that Parabola is rolling. For stability, why not Debian? The kernel comes deblobbed like linux-libre, vanilla has no nonfree stuff.

How can I switch my font anti-aliasing to use Greyscale instead of RGB without GNOME?

I'm looking for a good light-weight web browser to replace FireFox on my Xubuntu system and I've had my eye on Qupzilla for quite some time. Has anyone of you had any experience with hat?

Anyone?? Just tried KDE Neon and that failed horribly as well

Try Ubuntu. It's the most popular distro out there.

>void-live-x86_64-20171007-xfce.iso
>void-live-x86_64-musl-20171007-xfce.iso
what's the difference?

musl stands for "muslim", it depends on your religion.

pls respond

I already tried
18 none
[/code

in my .config/fontconfig/fonts.conf , but it did nothing even after relogging.

Lxappearance shows RGB under font options whenever I start it even though the file it modifies (.config/gtk-3-0/settings.ini) says none too.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Rather not
What distro is shipping out with the latest Linux kernel? I hear that might be the main issue

what do you think of solus?

Have you first been able to confirm if your fonts.conf is even being loaded?
It's not always true, your user config must first be included which is a fontconfig setting.

You can try verifying it with a quick alias. Just run for example "fc-match Arial" and check the result, add an alias to a different font and run it again to see if it's working.

It is loaded because other settings in it do take effect (like whitelisting Siji as a bitmap font when bitmap fonts are generally disabled)

Really stupid question -- I'm somewhat familiar with Linux, but I want to get into ricing. I went with Ubuntu and the default desktop environment last time, so I want to try something new.

If I were to install Debian, would it be easier to install it without a DE, or with a DE like Xfce?

Also, should I go for trying out Debian first, or dive right into Gentoo instead? I'm primarily going to be using this machine for development rather than everyday use.

>Linux
GNU/Linux

>If I were to install Debian, would it be easier to install it without a DE, or with a DE like Xfce?
Makes no difference.

>Also, should I go for trying out Debian first, or dive right into Gentoo instead?
Gentoo isn't hard go for it if you want. It just requires you to read a lot in the beginning. May I suggest Parabola? It's a lot like gentoo but you won't wast half of your lifetime compiling things.

Disregard that, I am an idiot.
I failed to remember I had specifically set Xft.rgb = rgb in my .Xresources.

It werks now.

>want to try fedora
>dnfdragora broken out of the box
>run update
>internet completely breaks
Can someone recommend me a rolling distro that doesn't suck? (32 bit so no arch)

Fedora is not rolling tho. Debian Testing and Gentoo.
In my experience you can get a more reliable system by not using the last version of Fedora.

you can use gpm in tty for mouse
>Compiling
related
>Rather not
why? it's on a very late kernel and is simple for a beginner>went with Ubuntu and the default desktop environment last time, so I want to try something new.
just install another desktop environment then. you choose which environment to log into so just install kde or gnome or whatever the hell you want from ubuntu.

Attached: 3cpAS6L.jpg (625x351, 44K)

My mistake then, they claim to be cutting edge so I guess I assumed it would be rolling. Debian Testing was actually my first choice, but it refuses to work with my wifi adapter. Even the nonfree iso doesn't work, after correctly detecting the hardware and entering my info it just says "failed :)", so quickly that I'm skeptical it even did anything.

>32 bit
Update to this millenia granpa

SUSE Tumbleweed is a rolling distro. It tends to be more stable than Fedora, but Debian Testing would be my first choice.

I think Void is rolling but idk about 32 bits.

Is fish worth using?

>rolling
Debian Sid.

is debian sid as scary as they make it look like? will it break every update?

Try Arch.

How large should a /boot partition be? Is 1GB enough?

Try Pale Moon.

More than enough. The Gentoo Handbook only has you allocate 128MB for it, but other distros can sometimes dump more files in there so a bit bigger couldn't hurt.

1gb is enough for 1000 kernel images

50mb is more then enough and lets you play with extra kernels and their fallback

>is debian sid as scary as they make it look like? will it break every update?
Compared with Debian Stable yes, compared with Arch, no.

I use ~100MB.

Is there some way to check which packages from apt that I have installed have the most dependencies so I can delete the ones I don't use? Or does anyone know of some other way to identify and get rid of bloat?

Package count is not a good account for bloat. One same software can be split into many packages what increases package count in one distro vs another without changing the amount of bloat in the system. Debian usually splits software in many packages, Arch doesn't. On that basis one could even argue that Debian systems are naturally less bloated than Arch one's, since you can hand pick what software to use. The best way to have a non bloated system is start with a net install and build it up from there.

Attached: red-hat-dinossaur.png (670x311, 36K)

Yeah I have heard that before, I'm already using a system that started from a net install but I've installed lots of packages already and there's too many to go through them all to see which ones I actually need. That's why I'm looking for a way to de-bloat.

See your /var/log/apt/history.log files and look for stuff you installed and don't need anymore. The log will have full apt command lines so you can see all the stuff you installed at a certain time, which are probably related.

Thanks, I'll try that.

How often does KDE freeze on you guys?

Just gave suse a shot, didn't work out too well. Not sure if its a kde or a suse thing, but everything was very slow and buggy (despite only using ~400 mib ram ). Guess i'll just crawl back to Xubuntu for now, as its literally the only distro that has worked well on this 10 year old computer.

I looked it up and it is. I guess this will be my last shot before giving up.

Xfce never froze with me.

Probably a KDE thing. The "KDE is lightweight because it uses not much ram" is dumb. KDE is not lightweight, even more for a 10 years old machine. Try OpenPePe with Xfce.

>Try OpenPePe with Xfce.
I did, and it solved the weird graphical glitches I was having, but certain things were still very slow. When screenfetch takes more than 10 seconds to load you know something is wrong...

It's most likely a driver issue. Check the YaST for restricted drivers or something like that.

Thanks, i'll try this as a last ditch effort before wiping my install.

Oh, forgot to mention, Linux Mint has a rollign branch called Linux Mint Debian Edition. It's a distro famous for working out of the box with any haardware.

I replied to myself.

Hey guys.

To people that have used Wine: have you ever ran into the problem of a game's audio being too equalized and jarring?

I'm trying out a game called Betrayer and it seems like everytime a new sound is played, it is played at the loudest volume regardless of distance from the player, which is really confusing given that sound is a vital mechanic (Directional audio guides you)

Does anyone know a workaround for that particular problem or am I out of luck there?

Attached: 1524450253458.jpg (624x500, 43K)

are there any distros that bundle software like timidity++ and if not then why? all these so called bloated distributions don't ever seem to actually bundle very much useful software