Just bought this book Jow Forums... did I do well? Or should I refund it?

Just bought this book Jow Forums... did I do well? Or should I refund it?

I work as a storage/network engineer and process shitload of logs and other types of data every day.. Until now I've been using bash scripting to do a lot of automation but I'm feeling limited. Is python the right way to go?

I finished codecademy's python course and while I found it interesting it didn't really teach me anything useful outside of the course itself... This book seems to have good reviews.

Attached: AutomatetheBoringStuff_cover[1].png (473x625, 96K)

Why not perl senpai?

.>buy

Should've just downloaded the God damn pdf for free

You did well, user.
Python and its ecosystem is full of faggotry, but this book is definitely solid.

I own it, 3 of them (series) in fact. They are pretty decent

Attached: qqqqqq.jpg (2448x3264, 1.84M)

>I work as a storage/network engineer
You are not an engineer. Techies and programmers need to stop stealing other profession's protected titles.

Attached: 2_for_1.jpg (1544x869, 791K)

>it didn't really teach me anything useful outside of the course itself
Focus on the abstract concepts and theory. The syntax and definitions are helpful but the bigger concepts are what lead to understanding. Pic related is a book that uses lisp for its examples (not that hard to understand if you can read Python), but the concepts it teaches are outstanding. Reading this book is the moment that everything just sort of clicked for me. Its an older book, but still just as relevant. You can get it at your library or through the inter-library loan system.

Attached: Structure-and-Interpretation-of-Computer-Programs.jpg (265x400, 22K)

I liked this book a lot. The book does a great job of showcasing a number of useful modules like openpyxl, datetime and time, os, bs4, and twilio that I use a lot in my hobby Raspberry Pi projects. I'm not a programmer by trade, but this book helped me get a lot of my personal projects off the ground. I love practical examples, and this book has exactly that.

being a pirate is one thing, but encouraging other to commit piracy is pretty faggy as it hurts the industry, pirates and by this also the users

I make enough money to support people writing good books. What are you? Some kind of communist?

Already know a bit of python so figured it would be a good foundation. Might look in to Perl later.

I'm not a sysadmin, nor a programmer. I work tightly with the actual programmers and implementation teams to 'engineer' working solutions for end customers (storage admins) as well as perform RCA when things are failing.

My title is engineer, customers and my company refers to me as an engineer. So whatever.

Cool, I was looking at the other two but wasn't sure which one to start with... As I already have bit of basic knowledge I decided to go for the one that seemed to have the most relevant projects for me.

Cheers!

Oh God. I too own all five of these No Starch Press books.

Python Crash Course and Python Playground were a bit disappointing to be honest, but The Linux Command Line was a fantastic first stepping stone for someone like me.

ansible is the way to go

the book is publicly available under CC license alongside with supporting YouTube videos

>not just reading it online for free

Attached: 20180516212640_1.jpg (270x363, 143K)

Are you that guy with a large nose who shows up to soup kitchens for free food despite having no need for charity? Stingy shit.

one more reason to buy it

>python
you should kill yourself

>tfw just translated a C++ raspberry pi GPIO reading script over to python because i can't stand not just being able to return multiple values from a function

return a struct

and one less reason to not call it piracy

Wow this is exactly the sort of functionality I was looking for when I ran into this issue. I guess I suck at Google, but at least the translation exercise was sort of nice to see various differences in language. Thanks user.

It actually boosts sales but you do you

>I make enough money to support people writing good books.
>Or should I refund it?

yes but not if you encourage people who would otherwise buy books i think

What do you expect him to do just waste his money. If he doesn't wanna read the book he shouldn't have to pay for it

>good books

So far it seems good so I'll go through with the purchase - if y'all had told me it was a scam I would've cancelled the order for a refund.

Nothing wrong with that. Deciding to go through with it or not is their responsibility and no-one else's.

The Linux Command Line. Well done senpai.

Attached: thumbsup.jpg (400x325, 37K)

I read the book, it was the first time where I made his program following a tutorial but then wanted to add more functions.

I think there was a basic shopping cart list in his book but it was only when the program was running, changed it so that you could open the program later and have it saved also modify the saved list.

This is where I learned how I learn best, by doing projects that exites me.

>My title is engineer, customers and my company refers to me as an engineer.
you oversee, operate, maintain, and repair engines that drive something?

Slunk, Logstash might be useful.

*Splunk

yes, python is a good thing to learn in your situation

Yes, the things I build literally drive the business. Glad you understand.

The book is literally free on Al's site.

what other books (non python) from that company are good?

It's a good book, I started learning programming with it. The only two gripes I have with it are it doesn't cover classes and some modules don't work as described in the book so you gonna need to do some googling and reading documentation to complete exercises involving them.

It's over hyped useless theory and common sense. There's already a python version

refund it and get it on humble bundle it's cheap as fuck

>True intellectuals learn Haskell

Attached: 1461386467825.gif (390x215, 2.93M)

These titles are worth shit.
Most engineers work as a glorified mailing list. Having their intended engineering work done by undisclosed recipients.

Yeah not paperback. Those are PDFs. I don't see a point paying for online books as u can search the name of the book and find it on PDF on google. Only reason to pay is to get the physical copy

>not building a comfy bookshelf full of usefull knownledge over the years

I bought an Amazon Kindle just to download free ebooks online and import them. The screen is lit and you wont destroy your eyes looking on phone/notebook/pc instead. It's the cheapest method, you just buy the kindle once and have ton of free books to read for free.

Even tho i bought couple paperback copies cuz its easier to read from a phisical copy sometimes rather than going up and down even tho the kindle has "goto" etc.

i still prefer hardcopies over kindle and pdfs. its just the best way to read period

Mech Eng:

>get degree
>design machines
>test machines
>collaborate with colleagues
>troubleshoot problems

Programmer:

>get degree
>design programs
>test programs
>collaborate with colleagues
>troubleshoot problems

Why is one profession more worthy of calling themself engineers ? Only because they build/design things that you can physically touch ?

sounds like Python is exactly right for your needs.

just use python, faggot, its so simple you dont need to be buying books on it

Attached: dumb.jpg (1280x720, 90K)

kek

t. pajeet

Because it's totally ok to equivocate the two. The constraints of the real world and running on a cpu are totally fucking different.

Why not bash?

why not batch?