Redpill me on Linux

I’m new to programming and getting into tech im general. Everyone I see here uses Linux (mostly Arch) and I don’t see why. Is it more secure? Are you too stupid to not download viruses? Is it better for programming? What’s the point?

And no this isn’t bait I genuinely don’t know.

Attached: B5783A32-490C-48EB-9A48-0A07F03B6747.jpg (1917x1032, 161K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.aws.amazon.com/cli/latest/userguide/installing.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it is better for programming

One argument is the ethical argument. I support free software and everything it stands for. I also don't want to be spied on and datamined.

1. linux is better for programming
2. other than retarded manchild autist ricers, no one actually uses arch. it's bleeding edge (i.e. it gets the latest updates really fast), but it breaks with every other update
inb4 it's stable. it isn't.
3. if you want to get into programming, get a linux distro like ubuntu, mint or debian. avoid bleeding edge garbage like arch

Attached: 2142 - arch bus comic debian hipster linux.png (639x4513, 1.08M)

It's better for usability in every way, but the real reason to use it is freedom.

[citation from non-autist needed]
Patently false
Install MacOS if you want a Linux distribution that actually allows you to do things.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (600x600, 78K)

MacOS is not a Linux distribution you fucking retarded jew piece of shit. Neck yourself.

This

t. brainlet gnu-shill
I feel bad for you.

Attached: f82560000.jpg (328x350, 23K)

>macos
>a bunch of outdated gnu and bsd tools, spit on, shat on, and pur into a proprietary jail
pick two

>breaks with every other update
At most you have to manually fix something after an update 3 times a year, and even then it's always trivial

OP whatever you do, stay away from Arch, to experience Linux without hassle try Ubuntu, or if you want the REAL Linux experience just Debian is enough, its light weight and stable

> 3 times a year
that's three times a year more often than on mint, debian or even windows 8 (and i've been running 8 since release, never had to reainstall or anything).
if you ever have to manually fix shit after an update, your os is fucking garbage.

Attached: jay z ok.png (919x602, 413K)

Windows:
>Tell me what you want I will do it
Lunix:
>Tell me what to do

This. If you just want to be productive and get shit done stay with Windows.
Linux is only good for a server OS or if you like hacking

for hobbyists its fine, i also always learn something when stuff goes wrong. But if you are too brainlet to ever get your hands dirty i recommend apple products

>for hobbyists
then why not use lfs or gentoo? you'd learn much more than with arch.
at least you can admit that arch should not be used in any sort serious/professional setting

This. MacOS is the best Linux distro as it is the only one with corporate support. All the other distros like Devuan, GNU, Hurd, BSD and KDE are all made by NEETs in their basement who won't support the software within the next 3 years.

(You) are a pajeet

(You) are gay

>then why not use lfs or gentoo?
I really should, though I also think about trying TempleOS as it is even better for this as it is ring 0
>at least you can admit that arch should not be used in any sort serious/professional setting
I think everybody agrees on that

No I am not sir

>compiling everything
>on Arch
Should have been Gentoo instead, but for some reason Gentoo is always chill and noone shits on it (in a way that people shit on Arch at least).
I have always wondered why.
Because most people are simply too stupid to even install it?

>redpill me on hurrrr

IT'S AN OS WHERE YOU CAN INSPECT THE SOURCE CODE, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU USE A TOOL TO WRITE SOURCE CODE ON IF YOU CAN'T EVEN INSPECT THE TOOL.

LEARN ABOUT FREE AND OPEN SOURCE OP

Attached: angry-pepe-gif-9.gif (480x481, 1.65M)

>if you ever have to manually fix shit after an update, your os is fucking garbage.
You're clueless kid."Fixing" isn't what is required,the routine usually consists of deleting a system file, which is not a whole lot different than the autoremove dance that apt based package managers do.Problems arise when people don't read the warnings thrown out by their package manager.They then come to Jow Forums with their spicy opinions based on stupidity.I'll take the ability to see and correct an issue in an update over blindly getting hosed by a Windows update any day.

You just recommended three worst distros for things OP wants. Good job faggot

>blindly getting hosed by a Windows update
this doesn't happen anymore and it hasn't happened in years unless the user was at fault. your information is outdated. windows is more stable than arch. enjoy having to manually delete files after updates, i'll be over here enjoying my flawlessly running system.

op is clearly a linux novice, why would i list anything other than stable beginner distros?

What do you consider the best distros for what OP wants?

OP has not even stated what he 'wants'. Stop shitting up the thread.

Why not something like Manjaro, OpenSuse Tumbleweed, Fedora? New software but still stable, good installers, good choice of DE's?
Why recommend steaming pile of shit to new people?
I have nothing against Debian but if he's new Sysadmin, then ok, that or CentOS...

Not OP, but I've never used Linux as well, and I want learn more about it. I've been looking into it a bit and Ubuntu seems the 'beginner' distro. Should I just give that a go and learn along the way?

>op is clearly a linux novice, why would i list anything other than stable beginner distros?
Ubuntu isn't stable, it shits its face all the time
Mint is even more unstable than Ubuntu
Even Fedora is a better newbie distro than Ubuntu and Mint.
But openSUSE is the best for newbs.
Debian is the only stable distro you mentioned of the three. I wouldn't recommend it for newbies though, it's too difficult to install. Even Torvalds has a hard time installing it.

manjaro is based on arch, not for beginners.
i recommended debian based distros because they are the most used ones on desktop and therefor have the most support online. if op runs into a problem he can just google it and will most likely find an answer on the first page.

pic

Attached: works on my machine.png (200x193, 30K)

>this doesn't happen anymore and it hasn't happened in years unless the user was at fault
Really? Google: "windows stuck at select keyboard". There's thousands of complaints. In fact, I re-installed Windows 10 for a co-worker who got fucked by an update just last week. It still happens,a lot.

"It hasn't happened to me" does not mean "It hasn't happened to anyone."

> Google: "windows stuck at select keyboard"

>caused by a corrupted download or outdated drivers
sounds like user error to me. in the worst case it's bad sectors on the hard drive. not the fault of the update.

Manjaro is based on Arch yes, but I've used it for 3 years on two different computers. Same os, same ssd just upgrade of everything else. Not a fucking bug. And I'm doing DevOPS meme, some system administration, some programming. Works great on laptop. Also. I have CentOS and OpenSuse for home servers.
Now, if he wants to program he wants newer libraries than Debian can provide, also depending what he might need software not in their repos. Arch based system can help there. But instead of going vanilla, he can just install Arch based system that gets some updates 2 weeks later when they are better tested. Fuck vanilla Arch, I had it for a long time while I didn't have a real job. Now, I want shit to work. And guess what OS is just a tool. Pick a best tool to do your job. I use Linux, Windows and BSD in mine. Fuck being fanboy and grow up. Not you I'm talking in general here

I love this meme

>openSHIT
Stopped reading right there

Unix isn't Linux, retard

Well you read most of it, so congrats, I guess?

Arch has actually been quite stable for me and I really like having the newest software versions.

When I need to touch windows I get really mad because everything is a clusterfuck.

>what is ubuntu
>what is centos/rhel

GNU my ass, it's just called Linux.
I'm not the faggot here.

For me its the way the it doesnt get in your way like Windows do with their updates, autostart applications, notifications, the resource heavyness and ADs in the start menu.
Im in the fringe because i like my desktop to have no animations or transparent stuff.
I have been using Lubuntu since 2012 and have loved it since then!

Depending on your language this will be more or less true...
Its more convenient to install packages and dependencies for your language.

Manage all your applications and OS via the same update manager APT, is really convenient.

The cons
Its not as manageable in an enterprise environment as windows.
i would strongly recomend you to check if the computer is Ubuntu certified before buying it because if its not, then you are stranded alone...
FORKS...
Everything is forked...
Im one of the few at my job (IT hosting, mostly Windows based stuff like AD and exchange) that runs Linux on my workstation.
and i made a small script to install all the applications needed, This script has been forked 3 times. because all colleges who used it made their own version.
And everyone uses their own Distro, Ubuntu Gnome, Lubuntu, Mint MATE, Mint Cinnamon...

I wouldn't call some guy changing your shitty script "forking". There DE choice or type of Ubuntu won't change your script. In fact, all of those use apt. Those people just wanted to install more software or alternatives so they just edited your script. It is definitely as manageable as windows in enterprise pajeet. Why do so many companies use it for hosting or for workstations? Stop larping on the internet or if you're actually this retarded, stop posting on this site.

>muh ricing on Arch
you can rice on literally any distro, retard.

If you are using a closed-source, non-free fucking operating system, then you are stupid

It most certainly does not break on every update. I've been using Arch exclusively for the past 2 years and I've never had to fix an issue related to and installed update.

Wrong!
what you refer to as "linux" is in fact GNU/linux or GNU+Linux

It's the opposite of that though
Example,

Install aws-cli on windows
docs.aws.amazon.com/cli/latest/userguide/installing.html
Update aws-cli on windows?
Good luck

Install aws-cli on Arch
$sudo pacman -Syu aws-cli
Update aws-cli on Arch
$sudo pacman -Syu

You should start with Kali Linux
It's easy-ish to install like Ubuntu
Pre-installed with all the haxor tools
You can impress Stacie by telling her
You spent all weekend playing with
Your penetration testing tool

plethora of tools
lots of documentation and manuals
minimalism
freedoms
repos

"outdated drivers" isn't a valid excuse on Windows, it's just not. On GNU/Linux distributions you get all of them updated when you apt-get update or dnf update or whatever makes your package manager update. On Windows you have to go visit your motherboard vendors website and your graphics card vendors website and your audio chips website and so on to check if your drivers are "up to date". Nobody's going to go visit 10 different sites just to check if some driver is "out of date". Not doing so isn't "user error".

It actually fucking works and isn't abhorrent to fucking use. This is mostly true if you use an ultrastable distro like Slackware, Salix, or Devuan, but it's true nonetheless. Don't let these faggots tell you to use Arch, you'll just go back to Windows from how bad of an experience you had. Also, stay away from SystemD or you might as well use Windows anyway.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as MacOS, is in fact, GNU/MacOS, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus MacOS. MacOS is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “MacOS”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a MacOS, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. MacOS is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run; along with some other programs. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. MacOS is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with MacOS added, or GNU/MacOS. All the so-called “MacOS” distributions are really distributions of GNU/MacOS.

Desktop Linux is sort of a niche thing. Theres not much money in it, any way you look at it. Its used by developers of enterprise Linux software, Unix enthusiasts, idiots, and freetards.

MacOS is BSD, dumbass.

The arch breaking meme is outdated from when people's X configs were all over the fucking place and an update would inevitably fuck it up. Now, the only times I've had it break was when I made a janky solution to a problem and an update changed whatever jank I was relying on. But still, Arch takes a lot of autism to make usable. People talk about the installation process but it's mostly setting up a working system that takes the most time. I'd recommend people just go with Manjaro or Argentos if they wan't the arch flavor without the autism.

>Everyone I see here uses Linux (mostly Arch) and I don’t see why.
reasons range from ethical to practical
on the ethical side, it's free. Freedom, beer, you name it, you don't pay for it on Linux.
on the practical side, managing what's actually installed on your machine is super easy because it can be 100% centralized, and if you don't want that centralization you can compile straight from git using practically the same interface that installs the rest of your software. Sure, you have to memorize 4 terminal commands, but that's literally it. It just works.

Why the fuck does your arch break so much? You have to be a brainlet to fuck something up, and then you go complain on Jow Forums.
*slow clap*
ARCH IS JUST A PACKAGE MANAGER. IT DOWNLOADS WHAT YOU TELL IT TO DO. IT DOWNLOADS THE BINARY, PLACES THE FILE WHERE THEY BELONG AND STOPS.
It is your problem, that you use a distro for powerusers, while being a fucktard.
If you install Debian with Cinnamon or KDE, you will have a full install that works well, don't use memes

Lots of trolling in this thread, I'm going to give a genuine answer

I'm also pretty new, I've been using arch as one of my first distros, I've had tons of difficulty getting it to the state it's in now, but it's made me better at nearly everything than most of my peers.

I tried my hands at ricing, I learned that my colour coordination makes me look like a retard, and that there is a real trade-off past a certain point

I did some work on a project that involved android emulation and a few different IDE's which taught me a lot about using the AUR and the linux filesystem, as well as a couple things about systemd -- now my arch system is where I like doing all my programming work

all-in-all Arch might be my favourite just because of what I got out of using it.
It opened my third eye to a million things, and left me with a really fun to use system that actually feels like I'm responsible for how much I like it.

is it the 100% optimal linux distro for ?
maybe, who gives a fuck, distrohopping is good for you

>Everyone I see here uses Linux (mostly Arch) and I don’t see why. Is it more secure? Are you too stupid to not download viruses? Is it better for programming? What’s the point?
I don't program much but I use Xubuntu on my laptop because it's less bloated than widows and is generally easier to configure and use for basic (non-gaming) tasks if you know what you're doing.

I don't think it's hugely superior for programming, but it is a bit easier to set up and if you're a programmer you're probably a power user so the system tools Linux has will be worth the occasional extra work.

Don't fall for the Arch meme, start with one of the more user friendly distros and go from there. At the end of the day all distros are basically the same thing with minor differences.

linux is a meme
don't waste your time
only kids pretending to be hackerinos pretend to use it, mostly on vms to post screenfetchs and shit

go with windows 10 the smart adult choice for productive people

Attached: 1vh1PXneQqN1e.gif (250x200, 498K)

Manjaro is great if you want arch with actual usability

a lot of software development tools are really well integrated with the terminal(command line) that linux offers. Also, getting software(that is offered in linux) is usually really easy to get. ie. sudo apt-get _____

Do your research. It comes with the GNU coreutils.

Also it's a *really* big stretch to call MacOS BSD. It contains a lot of BSD code, but then again so does Windows.

This comic is really shitty, not because it hates on Arch, but because the dialogues directly conflict with themselves, instead of being more clever ("it's not for server stuffs even though this is why majority of the world cares about Linux")
Shitty writing, 3/10

but I can run arch on Windows tho

and I can run Windows on arch with GPU passthrough

>Linux is better for programming.

Yeah, no. The vast majority of programmers with actual jobs rely on Visual Studio - pretty much the only proper, functional IDE out there. With Linux, you're stuck to using VS Code ... and that's pretty much it.

It's surprising and frankly disappointing that there aren't any quality IDEs for Linux when there's a large development scene around it. You'd expect much better from a large open-source community, but no. Unfortunately, it's for NEETs.

Thank you Rajesh, ₹70 have been deposited in your account.

>setting up a working system
>sudo pacman -Syu plasma
Wow that was hard

sorry honey but the majority of programmers with actual jobs are on macos. also jetbrains ides are better than visual studio

This man speaks the truth. Arch kiddies have Stockholm syndrome so don't believe a word they say:

>Only time it broke was when I applied a quick-fix
You are not supposed to be manually "fixing" shit on anything remotely stable.
>It werks for me
Until it doesn't.
>Jacking off to "minimalism"
>muh packages
When everything is packaged in huge blobs so tards like you can jerk off to their numbers in *fetch threads. Still has the same bloat. And like you faggots really need that 0.0.0.1 update for whatever garbage programs you use.

Face it, other than circle-jerking there is not ONE GOOD REASON to use arch over anything.
>muh learning linux

Use Slackware then, at least it's the most vanilla distro and you might actually learn how to package software instead of just using Arch's version of apt. Lmao

I WANT TO HEAR ONE REASON.

The legend never dies

most people seem to say things like, it's less bloated, free as in freedom, ricing. I don't care much(not to say that i don't care at all) about any of this. It just seem to work the best.

Attached: worksonmymachine.png (1600x1548, 441K)

I use linux because I prefer bash over dos. I tried windows, macos and linux in these years and I'm totally ok with each of them. I would use windows because it's universally compatible with every professional tool I can think of, I would use macos for the great compatibility with the adobe suite (it's not like it works better on mac, it's just better integrated with the os), I would use linux for everyday use because I'm a hobbyist and I like playing with my toys

If you want stable, Ubuntu/SuSE Leap is great. If you want to be on the edge, use Fedora or SuSE Tumbleweed.
No real reason to use distros whose maintenance status may fall into question at any time.

>it breaks with every other update
stop this stupid meme. In 3 years of usage it never broke down

>get ubuntu, mint or debian if you're a programmer
no, get these if you're a newb and want ot get into linux. If you're a programmer you'll find a distro that fits you eventually. None of them is any much better for programming

It's a flanged suppository.

Attached: imrealdepressed.jpg (184x184, 8K)

>IDE

Attached: 1366969361082.gif (172x149, 552K)

/thread

what's the technical difference between deb and rpm?
why do we need both?

It all depends on what you are working on. Usually setting up and managing development environments is just easier on linux.

Many back ends run un linux so there’s that.

Usually development tools are just easier to get to work right on linux, also you can often avoid all extra corporate trash on you pc cause it is only automatically deployed on winfows systems.

Poor guy. Had to samefag to get a (You). Here's one on the house

Manjaro has everything working out of the box, it's really beginner friendly. I can't think of a single thing that required manual intervention so far.

In other words it's good for learning, and I definitely agree with that. You will learn about how linux distros work much fasster. Eventually you will just get tired of it and want basic stuff to work though. It gets pretty annoying to read the wiki for every single thing you want to do.

No. Use somwthing like arch and learn along the way. If not arch or something arch based try gentoo or opensuse. You will be better for it.

Best redpill ITT

Most distros are shit.
Most desktop enviroments are shit too.
Debian stable is best for everyday use.
Cent OS for servers.
Anything else is clueless fucks with too much time and no sex life trying to be edgy.
Been using linux as main OS since 9 years by now.