What is going to happen when the monolithic Linux Kernel finally becomes unmainatinable as Tanenbaum predicted decades...

What is going to happen when the monolithic Linux Kernel finally becomes unmainatinable as Tanenbaum predicted decades ago?

It seems the development is already barely meeting the requirements and set deadlines.

Attached: linustorvalds770x57.jpg (770x578, 31K)

Linux was used to set people free. Minix was used to enslave them. Fuck Tanenbaum.

Linux was never about freedom.

The new Kernel (Microkernel to be exact) that is being developed by Google called ZIRCON will replace Linsux.

The biggest problem is global variables. It's too late to fix.

Linux is basically deprecated.

botnet kernel? no thanks

hurd will rise to its rightful place.
All in good time, all in good time.

Attached: hurd.jpg (241x209, 7K)

Already did. It's called systemd

Good coding style will guarantee maintainability

dude you read that thread earlier about the 14nm server chips intel are making. You barely understood it, you happened to read about this in a link you clicked, now we are supposed to suck a shit from your ass about it? Fuck you ! You have no idea what you are talking about have you? The argument you are talking about happened in the 1980's a lot has happened since then

Yes it was. It was literally created because Linus wanted an open-source Unix.

>Linux development slowing down!
>Last update to Minix: 10 months ago
>Last Linux Kernal update: 7 days ago

Yeah, sure kid.

>suck a shit from your ass
pajeet?

>What is going to happen when the monolithic Linux Kernel finally becomes unmainatinable as Tanenbaum predicted decades ago?
GNU/Hurd

Is hurd monolithic

No, it was created as a hobby by Linus. Stallman wanted an free Unix and failed.

>hey i read the debate wikipedia page too guys

Attached: aivo.png (645x773, 107K)

What is with all the fucking Fuchsia shilling? Take your botnet elsewhere.

it was partially because of a hobby and also because the alternatives at the time were too expensive. the decision to go open-source was a "why not?" after a friend suggested it to him

stallman had everything but a kernel for the gnu system, linux came around at the right time

>and failed
The combination of GNU and Linux is pretty widespread and usable. I wouldn't call that failing.

All the people shilling the hurd in this thread need to realise that the hurd in its current firm is broken by design - there's a reason mach microkernels never took off. It will always be too slow to ever be a proper contender to Linux. Its only chance would be if they restarted development from scratch (again) with a different approach to the performance issues associated with microkernels (like a gnu l4 implementation?). They'll likely never do this because they're obsessed with getting the kernel architecturely perfect instead of making something that just works. Linux didn't take off because it had a revolutionary design, it took off because it simply worked. I want the hurd to work but the reality is it probably never will.

What i dont get is why didnt stallman make hurd into an actual thing? Instead its development was fucked and im pretty sure its unusable to date

Switch runs a micro kernel pretty well

>Start GNU project
>can't make a usable kernel
I would

Because approximately nobody cares now that Linux works. There's no point in porting the gorillions of drivers necessary for modern hardware support.

I'm not saying microkernels don't work, I'm saying the design of the hurd is bad. L4 and QNX are both quite fast

They will begin moving stuff out of kernel space?????????

>What is going to happen when the monolithic Linux Kernel finally becomes unmainatinable as Tanenbaum predicted decades ago?
There is nothing monolithic about linux at all. There is a single address space, sure, but that doesn't mean the code structure is likewise monolithic, which is what matters.

>It seems the development is already barely meeting the requirements and set deadlines.
>set deadlines
I don't think linux has worked with deadlines like, ever.

>Constant bug-fixing = development

If it gets to that point, Linux will hybridize and still be faster than pure micro-kernels while getting most of the maintainability benefits.

i am reading the "book" and getting a real sense of NIH with FUCKCIA and its ZICRUMB

It will start dropping older drivers to make refactoring possible.

linus has same mentality as fsf retards and all those people in "linux" world, they all think more means more and create bloated unmaintainable bullshit, linux is deprecated, you would do world a favor if you niggers start making your own operating systems so we don't need to use both linux bloat or memeBSD(tm)

Year of the GNU/Hurd desktop

>Start GNU project
>can't make a usable kernel
>Start Linux project
>use leftovers from GNU's failure
>succeed

GNU Hurd is just a backup plan if Linux bites the Micro$oft Jews.

Attached: 1491576394172.jpg (295x343, 10K)

both are shit, just leave the sinking boat.

Second system effect. HURD was designed, Linux was ducttaped together until it ran GCC.

no

I hope hurd gains traction one day... Or a micro kernel thats actually good