Why Linux?

why do you use GNU/Linux, Jow Forums?

Attached: tux.jpg (3080x2054, 208K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ftp.funet.fi/pub/linux/historical/kernel/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm a rural or suburban retard who think muh gubmint corporashun scary.

Linux is propeietary. Use Linux-libre.

because I like my rice

Options, gratis software, and relatively high privacy/security. After a while it became easier to work with than Windows, ironically, and now I sperg when I use Windows. I fucking hate having to hunt down drivers and software over the internet - I like the repos and github.

because it's not apple windows 2095

Free Software gives you Freedom.

windows sucks in a server environment

It's faster, better GUI options, works better.

because I'm autistic NEET

>better GUI options

Attached: 29358.jpg (1024x764, 89K)

because im a real man

Because I can press a few buttons and all of the software I need is installed in under 30 minutes, and it never needs to be reinstalled for like a decade, whereas Winshit will rot within 6 months and get all slow. The security is decent and it has all of office and browser software I'd ever need for home computing. It doesn't spy on me or watch me through the webcam. I don't have to hunt for drivers on the OEM website, it's already bundled in the Ubuntu install ISO. Updates are never forced. I restart only when I want to. Disk encryption is faster than Microqueer ShitLocker. Boot times are faster. The whole system is just faster and manages resources better. Even on my laptop with the 16GB of RAM, I use less than 1GB idle, where Winblows 10 uses like 2GB.

Everything about Windows is just disgusting and horrible. Ubuntu just works for all my day to day needs.

>inb4 muh games
Grow up.

>windows sucks in a server environment

not windows sux almost everywhere

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux, is in fact, GNU/GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus GNU plus Linux. GNU/Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU/GNU system made useful by the GNU/GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU/GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU/GNU which is widely used today is often called "GNU/Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU/GNU system, developed by the GNU/GNU Project. There really is a GNU/Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. GNU/Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNU/Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU/GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU/GNU with Linux added, or GNU/GNU/Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/GNU/Linux.

The Linux kernel is an OS. It completes all of the core functions of an OS without the GNU userland. It handles scheduling, drivers, memory, file systems, running other programs, etc. Linux is an operating system unto itself.

Do you not realize the opposite is true for the vast majority of people?

Actually the 1000th win update crash made me switch. It was a few month ago and I never want to go back to winshit
> better resource management thus faster
> no random updates
> bash = god the best way to control a computer, spend some time with it and you will see what poweruser means
> + riceeee (how things look was always a thing to me Jow Forums)

it's free and pretty competent.

because Web servers and networking hardware deals with Linux and that's the industry I want to get into.

also because I couldn't accept Windows 10 showing ads (despite costing money) and restarting my computer whenever it felt like it. i don't deal with Adobe software much so Linux is mostly fine for me.

>replying to a pasta

not windows sux in literally one category of one device format: gaming on consumer hardware.

Because I respect my freedom.

Because I like it and have liked it for the past decade.

I only bother with it on not-x86, where Windows either isn't an option or has no advantage (literally just software library).

>Mail me at "[email protected]" if you have any questions.

>Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you
>need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may
>be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used
>with linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft. These tools
>aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) for more info.
>Linus, ftp.funet.fi/pub/linux/historical/kernel/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01

Windows updates are the prime example of "you, the user, are a fucking idiot, I fucking hate you, and I'm going to do what I want regardless of how smart you """"think""""" you are", which is not the only case in Windows software. (Mind you, macOS is bad for the same reason: it's the closest thing to a Fisher-Price operating system that has fooled people into thinking it's for powerusers)

At a certain point, you have to stop letting yourself be treated like shit, and you have to start using software that respects you and your potential to be an intelligent user.

Freedom and privacy are corollaries of this respect.

got in for security and knowledge, stayed because i dont feel like going to the developers web to update software and configure everything to my taste

i may be exaggerating, but imo windows is a decade behind in terms of features

It objectively does. Windows is not customizable at all.

kde is gud

>xfce
>highly customizable
>intuitive
>xfce
>free
>safe
>xfce
>helpful and knowledgeable community
>no viruses
>fast
>xfce
>beautiful

>Why?
Only if you have an old machine or a computer than ran out of support.

Otherwise avoidvLinux. Is a bad OS with shitty software support and 0 desktop integration.

the opposite of what, exactly?

Most people, including most IT and Software people, are not smart enough to have either freedom or the privacy that comes with it. They would rather have someone to blame when a problem arises. This means designated experts who take your privacy and freedom in exchange for preventing you from doing or recieving harm. This is called civilization, liberal democracy, and it will be with humanity forever. We evolved past petty freedom long ago.

I see that you didn't get any (You)s. Here is a pity one

Growing irritation with Windows after XP, privacy concerns and I'm cheap.

Because my router/phone/network adapter/television/car are not good places to put a big elephant such as windows on it.
But a small penguin fits everywhere.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Windows, is in fact, Microsoft Windows 10 or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Microsoft Windows. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Microsoft system made useful by Microsoft Cortana, Outlook and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by ENTERPRISE. Many computer users run a modified version of the Microsoft system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Microsoft OneCore which is widely used today is often called “Windows”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Microsoft OneCore system, developed by the Microsoft Enterprise. There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Microsoft OneCore is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the Microsoft ecosystem: the whole system is basically Windows with Microsoft services, or Microsoft Windows 10. All the so-called "Windows" distributions are really distributions of Microsoft Windows 10

>
have you tried MacOs
>Im assuming you havent pajet

Its funny how you can never give argumebts against lack of gamed and software and you usually justify it with something like "lol ur fum if u like videogames"

>lack of software
It's the vendor's fault for making unportable proprietary shit, and if you come to depend on that software, well then it's your fault for ignoring all the warnings

>lack of games
There are plenty of free software video games to play. If you're talking about proprietary games, do not play them, they are an enemy of your freedom. Also they're all bad anyway, modern proprietary developers need to resort to garbage like microtransactions, spyware, DRM, loot boxes, etc just to stay in business.

cause of tiling wms and muh workflow

>0.1 release

>muh games
Stop being 12.

>No software
It has everything you need to be productive on a computer. Several well supported web browsers, several office suites, dozens of text editors, compilers, etc. Normies love Chrome OS which is just a web browser bolted on top of Gentoo. Stop pretending like you need Winrar and that cracked version of Photoshop on your home PC.

>Customization
Just look at ricing threads and how much ram a minimal GNU/Linux desktop uses (under 150mb or lower). I'll just say, you can customize what ever the fuck you want, down to the kernel (The kernel is a computer program that is the core of a computer's operating system, with complete control over everything in the system.)
>Security
Most severs, 99% of them use GNU/Linux because it's pretty damn secure.
>Open source & free software
It really should be self explanatory...

Most servers*

>>helpful and knowledgeable community
present company excluded of course

Just proved my point, and not everyone is you
It doeent matter if it is the vendors fault at the end of the eay

Everything can be modified or customized in some way or another. There's usually two or more solutions for a problem. There are many better desktop and window management options. There are many software options, most of them gratis and open source, that are often really easy to grab from an included package manager with very little effort on my part to install it, use it, and update it as needed. Linux even has more games available to it now than ever before and it's easier than ever to install them.

I use Windows at work and that's it. I am required to use Windows at work because I am required to support proprietary software that runs on Windows. At home, I use debian. In a perfect world, we wouldn't be tied down to stupid proprietary solutions that are ingrained into business, educational, and civic environments, but unfortunately, this is not a perfect world, so Windows is king for desktop users in those environments.

>and not everyone is you
Chrome OS.