SDR

anybody here mess around with SDR a bit? I've only been able to spend a bit of time mucking about with things, reading over gnu-radio's documentation. What are some interesting things you've seen made or done with it?

Attached: sdr.jpg (768x1024, 202K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk
github.com/DSheirer/jmbe
github.com/DSheirer/jmbe.git
github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk.git
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I literally can't pick up anything other than FM radio, what am I doing wrong?

Get a better antenna.

that was why i bought this upconverter. it helps pick up extra bands but I think if you want to get the full spectrum you'd need to get bigger equipment

this more or less

this thing is ok for the price i got it for. i can pick up most things in my area

>Plane and ship tracking/air band traffic
>Pager message decoding
>Listening in on farmers talking over 2 way radio when they're driving round in their tractors cutting the grass or whatever it is they do

When I get more time i'd like to get a second TV dongle and try decoding trunked radio,or PiTX to see if I can make temporary traffic lights change or something like that, or if I get more cash, get something that can receive a wider band.

what sort of stuff are you using? gqrx or what have you?

I've got the latest Ham It up and a RTL-SDR.com dongle hooked up to a homemade antenna. I mostly listen to local emergency services and a few local ham nets. I want to get trunked and decoding pagers working but I can't seem to find software that works. Anyone have any suggestions?

This, and put it outside, as high as you can.

A proper antenna will set you back more than a proper SDR, like the 200€ ones.

I'm pretty in to weather satellites. Built a qfh antenna and I'm getting some halfway decent pics.

Attached: download_20180213_185503.jpg (909x981, 339K)

that looks awesome what sort of setup are you using to capture that?

I'd recommend a discone type antenna for multi-purpose use. You can get one for $35 on ebay.Of course you can make antennas pretty easily, too. Two long pieces of wire will pick up more stuff than those shitty antennas that come with the dongle.

Just a cheap sdr with the qfh I made. I use an lna for some passes, don't remember if I used it in that pic or not. I've had mixed results with the it.

Attached: download_20180516_193336.jpg (909x943, 323K)

I did some of these last fall. You really need to be out in a wide open field to get good results.

Attached: 091017.jpg (1040x1546, 173K)

Do you just recieve these signals at your home? Or do you have to go chasing them down?

I think this was part of Irma after it made landfall.

Attached: 20170911_08-51.jpg (1040x1494, 440K)

Wow, nice. Can you tell me anything about your antenna?

the definition on those is really good (even with some noise) is that vertical blanking with info on the sides or some other AV artifact?

I just have mine stuck about 10ft off the ground in my backyard. Kinda hilly area, lots of trees around. Not the best location but I get so-so pics.

What software are you using?

I used a quadrifilar helix. The antenna is important, but I found being in a wide open area like corn fields where you can see the horizon in every direction will get the best results.

Thanks, this looks like some fun. I'll try building one of those antennas over the upcoming holiday.

Sdr# and wxtoimg.
I have a qfh with 14ga wire. What are you using for your elements / loops?

I take it on the road because I live in the suburbs and I only get a think slice in the middle trying to do it here. My T60 was powerful enough to run GPredict and GQRX to record the signal as the satellite passed over.

bent 1/8" metal rods

I'm not sure if those side bars are used for calibration or what. They should be in every image. I think you can also use them to tell if the pass is going from north to south or south to north poles.

Not even a sdrfag and I'm really enjoying this thread. This is what Jow Forums should feel like. I miss when good threads like this happened more often. Though (and not to ruin it) you'd probably get a better discussion going on /diy/ because a lot of /diy/nosaurs are into ham radio and shit so I'm sure some of them are into sdr

What do you guys use for listing to trunked channels? I've been using SDRTrunk on Linux, but it's JAVA and takes up a shitload of systems resources.

Yea those bars are always in my pics. Wxtoimg allows you to crop them. It refers to them as 'telemtric data'. Noaa satellites do broadcast telemtric data on another frequency as they pass overhead. This is apparently data from scientific instruments on board these noaa satellites. Someone wrote up a matlab to interpret and graph this data, I haven't had time to fuck with it.

Sorry for all the typos. Filthy phone poster.

>I've been using SDRTrunk on Linux
Could I ask what distro you're using? I can't get this to work on Arch (I suspect it's because it's a mangled AUR package).

Debian with Oracle JAVA you need the rtl-sdr driver as well.
github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk
github.com/DSheirer/jmbe

Thank you. I've been fighting with this for a few weeks.

They've added some gradle shit whereas before you could simply use ant to build. It's saying you need Oracle's JAVA JDK not SE. Kinda gay af which is why I'm looking for a non JAVA alternative.

I meant JRE not SE

I'm wondering if I should just install Skywave Linux? It seems to have a bunch of things preinstalled and they supposedly "work". I've dealt with the Java mess before, with other software, and it always seems to be a hassle.

git clone github.com/DSheirer/jmbe.git
git clone github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk.git
cd sdrtrunk && ./gradlew clean buildSdr
cd ../jmbe && ./gradlew build
cp build/libs/* ../sdrtrunk/build/libs/
cd ../sdrtrunk/build/libs
java -jar sdr*

Thanks.You're a good man, user.