Is it worth it for gaming?

More clearly, what do you think of WINE linux? Does this mean I can play any windows game on Ubuntu with WINE? can I also play ps2, n64, and psx emulators with WINE?

Attached: 1.png (780x580, 193K)

Other urls found in this thread:

playonlinux.com/en/
appdb.winehq.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=VmHs-PI_YSo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Does this mean I can play any windows game on Ubuntu with WINE

No, but some games (warcraft 3 comes to mind from way back) work surprisingly well. Most games you'll be playing the lottery or trying to fix it into a playable state.

Wine is still impressive in that it can run even some directx games fluidly. Fucking google wine and the game your interested in and you'll see the status of play-ability and other users posting useful bits.

Look into GPU pass-through with a VM, much better solution.

Attached: 67wkfzimxfpz.png (1080x1273, 922K)

Check the games you want to play, some games works natively on Linux, personally like 40% of my steam library works natively

lol no

Not him but what are the requirements for GPU pass through? All I remember is the CPU needs to support it and you need two GPUs, was there anything else? Thinking of doing this with a Ryzen.

Most games work pretty good, usually I just try the game out in wine first if it doesn't have a native gnu/linux version and if it doesn't work I just boot into wangblows

> (OP) (You)
>>Does this mean I can play any windows game on Ubuntu with WINE
>No, but some games (warcraft 3 comes to mind from way back) work surprisingly well. Most games you'll be playing the lottery or trying to fix it into a playable state

Can I actually work on making a game playable on linux?

>can I also play ps2, n64, and psx emulators with WINE?
You can but those emulators exist natively for the linux so there's no need.

it works for some things, you are much better off using Xen and running a paravirtualised Windows machine using GPU passthru

>spending the time to set up all that shit when you could just dual boot

im not so much of a fag that i'd let GRUB have a windows boot option

Attached: img2299990_7e9e3764b9e6f0e9.jpg (940x518, 267K)

Use PlayOnLinux instead. It's significantly easier to manage installed software and to install shit. Just never use pre-made install scripts unless nothing else works, because most are outdated.

2x keyboard, 2x mouse, 2x display
If you want a single display then there are scripts for that, as well as automatic switching between where the mouse and keyboard will be used so you can get away with using 1 of each, but it's gimmicky.
You also need at least 12GB RAM if you're gonna game on this setup.

with xen and intel VT-d/IOMMU you can do gpu passthru with a single gpu

what's the difference when you're running Windows either way?

> (OP) (You)
>>can I also play ps2, n64, and psx emulators with WINE?
>You can but those emulators exist natively for the linux so there's no need.

How do I play them and can I play them with the memory card I use?

one gives windows access to your entire machine and all of its hardware, the other doesnt

Get retroarch.
Now on the memory card, you would need a specialized hardware to read it for obvious reasons.

>3470 on H61
>mfw CPU supports VT-d but chipset doesn't
fug :(

Attached: gfghhjj.jpg (261x193, 7K)

It's more efficient to create VM and play games there than using wine.

> (You)
>Get retroarch.
>Now on the memory card, you would need a specialized hardware to read it for obvious reasons.

What hardware do you recommend?

it's good, you can play doom 2016 in wine with 0 issues if you uses vulkan and i heard the witcher 3 also works in wine if you use DXVK

>3570K on Z79
>mfw chipset supports it, and the 3570 supports it, but the unlocked K variant does not

Attached: 1525905001996.gif (300x300, 1.49M)

How does the experience of running this differ from VMWare? I like that I just alt tab over to my vm to do my work in Windows, copy and paste between linux and windows applications, etc.

Is it different with Xen?

VMware is slow as shit and doesn't properly support 3D acceleration, it emulates a generic card.

OP if you're new to WINE use PlayOnLinux, which is basically a graphical frontend with preconfigurations for the things you wish to install.
playonlinux.com/en/
check your repo

Attached: PoL.png (96x96, 9K)

There is quite a few stuff that works really well, even foreign locales aren't an issue (I've played a shitload of VNs using Wine).
However, there is still some stuff that just doesn't work yet, no matter how hard yoy try.
Also remember to use a sandbox and/or a separate user, integrating Windows applications can potentially be dangerous.

As for emulators, why not just look for native Gahnoo/Linux emulators?

>How does the experience of running this differ from VMWare?
VMWare is a type 2 hypervisor, it is a piece of software that sits atop the OS to run. This means very high overhead, lots of wasted resources.
Xen is a type 1, meaning it is a kernel that sits atop the hardware, everything it virtualizes it does so with very little overhead, meaning little wasted resources and near native performance when running the VM

I hate that ir forces you to install the game instead of just running a exe

>Look into GPU pass-through with a VM, much better solution.
or install windows (7) alongside linux. god-tier solution

>What is VMWare ESXi
>What is KVM

Get that xen shit out of here.

try lutris
lutris lets you manage multiple wine versions and prefixes. if you'd rather have the game installed outside of the wine prefix directory, you can just create a launcher that runs the exe with a specific version and prefix. you can also add launchers for native linux games so you can consolidate all your games in one place

It's possible to breach the containment of the VM with meltdown/spectre/s-ng. Microsoft could just as well add their own implementation of those into windows just so they can have backdoors into Linux hosts.

>windows
>ever
Nah, if it doesn't run well on linux just skip the game altogether. Wine runs a LOT of windows software better than windows can though. Most pre-DX11 stuff runs about the same as windows.

Is it worth to convert to Linux if I only use AutoCAD, play old games up to 2009 or just old WoW expansions like Wrath or Cata?

if you want to use CAD you don't want to use linux, unless you want that seimens suite thats multiple thousand dollars per license.

Why would you run WINE on linux and therefore open linux up to all the problems with viruses and malware that windows has?
I wouldnt run wine unless I had a safe version of linux that i can boot into - so then you may as well run a dual boot windows/linux machine and not run wine at all.
If those arent good enough reasons to stop using wine and run a dual boot windows/linux system instead then either you are stupid or just dont care, and are using linux like a true poseur !

>open linux up to all the problems with viruses and malware that windows has
that's not how WINE works

not him, but being able to run malware is within the scope of wine, and wine is not a sandbox (or vm/hypervisor), it's designed by default to be well-integrated, and programs running in it have access to the same resources as any other application
this is why i run untrusted applications, such as non-free windows games under wine, through firejail, a program-agnostic sandbox

it is somewhat sandboxed, virtual filesystem overlay and zero host persistence. I honestly don't think any malware would be any sort of problem if you intentionally ran it within wine.

It's ok, sued it back in the day.
Good emulators have ports for all platforms.

used*

>virtual filesystem overlay
sure, with 'Z:' being /, so everything
this can be removed from the 'drives' section in winecfg, though
>zero host persistence
not without doing some linux-specific stuff, like registering a systemd user unit or something, this is true. i'm not sure what windows services do in wine (if anything), but they certainly don't become persistent in linux, once wineserver is closed, only invocation from linux native can cause it to start again. you also can't run windows drivers, as that's outside of the scope of wine

steam is a better option for native gaming imho
wine works fine with a lot of games that I like to play..
With all major games relying in graphic engines like Unity/Unreal etc that are portable companies should not be lazy and also produce native binaries and everything would be better

appdb.winehq.org/ is a good way to check what you want to use it with and decide if it is worth it in your case

also all emulators ( dolphin psemu, nemu64 etc ) have native linux versions so no need to run them through wine..!

That is precisely what happens. You need to read more and type less

sued, used, they are the same thing

wine is not sandboxed even somewhat. It is dangerous, especially for some noobs who run it under under root or a user with sudo privileges

I'm pretty sure nobody has ever run wine with root privileges. Doesn't make no sense.

but most are running it on an account that is a sudo user.

You lose like 50% of your performance instantly just by being on linux and using wine.

If you play games just use windows, seriously it is not worth it, if you're using a GPU passthrough you might as well just dual boot anyway

>Wine
I've have surprisingly good luck with it, though I'm mainly fond of older games. Just make sure you're running a current version.

Attached: 1487615706084.jpg (840x1119, 161K)

i'm certain some people have
>Doesn't make no sense.
not necessarily, i have personally used it for a task that would normally require root privileges, specifically to run WinHIIP (a ps2 hdd manager), as it requires raw disk access to work
i didn't run wine as root for this, but instead opted to temporarily change the ps2 hdd's device node to be owned by my user instead so root wasn't required, however, running wine as root would also have worked

Yes

Nah, if it's native openGL then there's almost no difference. Translating directx varies in speed though.

soon(tm)

Attached: 6a00d83452464869e201bb09fdb9e8970d.png (1024x670, 221K)

>Using VMs to get shitty windows apps running
Wine is good enough and has opt-in virtualization with a little bit of effort, if you have a hardon for using VMs as sandbox.

I have learned c++/qt by writing a program that autodetects profiles depending on executable path and config file. Now it starts all my lewd games in a portable wineprefix that doesn't have even one link to a folder outside of the profile path while providing me with a popup + systray that tells me exactly what profile is active, how that exe is named and uses an extracted icon from the executable. Complete with command line options and a quit button in the systray because many programs don't exit properly.

All in all, if you have the time use wine, if not then get the fuck back to windows if you can't handle some shitty epeen games not working properly.
Also, don't use debian based distros. They use outdated software and don't reflect actual wine development at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=VmHs-PI_YSo

It's alright.

No. Get a console.

>cata is old
Stop it

Attached: 1521978413542.jpg (800x1060, 495K)

>
>Jow Forums - Technology

user, 2010 was nearly a decade ago...

PlayOnLinux is a useful frontend for WINE if you're trying to get games to run. Also older games in a VM may be the better solution.

How has the fact that WINE 3.0 can run DX10&11 not even been mentioned ITT? Or it's add-on made available through GitHub?

>what do you think of WINE linux?
it works surprisingly well and has been getting a lot more stable lately. directx performance is still pretty shit, even with the csmt patches. you might be able to get better performance out of gallium9, but I've never tried it.
>Does this mean I can play any windows game on Ubuntu with WINE?
the majority of games I've tried work, but some of the newer games don't. A few early 2000s games have severe bugs as well.
>Ubuntu
you should make sure that you're actually using a recent version of wine on ubuntu. on 16.04, when you install 'wine', you got wine 1.6 which is from 2013.
>can I also play ps2, n64, and psx emulators with WINE?
why not just run these emulators natively on Linux?
>rebooting every time you want to play a game