Is this shit legit?

Is this shit legit?
Im trying to learn touch typing and hitting the x key with my ring finger seems completely unfeasible

Attached: keyboard.gif (549x331, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_per_minute#Alphanumeric_entry
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It is. Luckily English doesn't use a lot of Xs.

Learn dvorak or something

my pinky fingers are not that strong so no

Just practice and you'll eventually get it.

>Learn dvorak or something
don't, it's placebo that will leave you unable to type on other people's pcs

I've pecked for so long that I have an intuition about almost every key except TYUI so I don't need these gay charts

I dont wanna learn something that doesnt follow the standard keyboard layout
I also dont wanna learn something that has a shitty implementation for hitting a key just cuz you wont use it much

How?
Do you just hit the very corner of the x?
Because i cannot hit that x key square on without taking off my other fingers from the keyboard

I find it easier to look at the keyboard and type while only glancing at the screen to check for typos. Am I a typelet?

Sure, but it's not really like I force myself entirely to do this. I sometimes deviate by a finger or such.

The thing that I did train to do is to keep my index fingers on F and J and then not move my hands too much for the most part.

I can type without looking thats not an issue
My speed is just a little slow at 80wpm

>touch typing
>not just getting really fast at hunting and pecking
I have 65 wpm copying text but over 80 freehand, which is about as fast as i can articulate language in my head

> i cannot hit that x key square on without taking off my other fingers from the keyboard
You are allowed to lift them though, it's not required to keep every finger anchored dead fixed on the middle row.

I mainly suggest keeping the comfortable index fingers mostly in position so you can learn better.

You get used to the extension after a little bit, i started from scratch like a week and a half ago and im up to 60 wpm

How fast is that? I don't think it's too efficient, right?

Yes. You're supposed to follow in screen without looking at the keyboard.

Idk
If i start hitting x with my middle finger then i have to hit c with my pointer
At which point my pointer is responsible for 7 keys

>You're supposed to follow in screen
I'm not a secretary

That is impressively fast for hunting and pecking.

Figures the speed is fine then, but long can you keep that up? Moving the mass of your hands that much is tiring, isn't it?

Ok this might make the most sense

Its not the extension its that my middle finger was in the way

There are quite many WPM measurement websites, it's dead simple to make one of these in Javascript, so there are very many. Try some to get an approximate idea?

For instance, with my mostly standard touch typing, I usually get 70-ish WPM with about 0.5 errors per minute (final text after a fair amount of backspace use).

I don't move my hands that much, it might not even be technically hunting and pecking. I look at my keyboard and use my pointer and middle fingers to type. I can keep it up pretty much indefinitely but I have never actually typed longer than maybe 10 minutes since the vast majority of my typing involves composing research papers and shitposting.

i type 145wpm, and it seems the fingers of my left hand all lift off the keyboard when i press x, which must slow me down, but i don't have to bend my ring finger backwards.

Just play video games with a keyboard. The end result is easier to learn. You won't get good speeds but different keyboards won't fuck you up for a while.
Become your own boss and it becomes a non-issue OP.

You get used to it and get faster eventually, just make sure you don't start deviating or try to go really fast cuz you'll go to old habits.

It's really satisfying specially if you use something like vim to just get everything right, I used to type at around 80wpm with just two fingers on each hand if I really pushed it, now I still type around 65wpm (been doing it for around a month) but idk, I'm just happier typing like this, like everything is going to be okay. Still if you don't get used to it just drop it, it's not a rule and in the future kids 100 times smarter than you will laugh at you for typing with all your fingers anyway.

I get 75ish wpm with my non touch typing
I thought this was slow
I cant test how quick my touch typing is because it isnt developed
I do about 25 wpm with it

I got blank keycaps, they pretty much forced me to learn properly

> specially if you use something like vim to just get everything right
To me kak and vim and friends are mainly about understanding a pretty damn large command syntax and getting fast at figuring out what commands and patterns might be used right now.

WPM seem like the smaller obstacle and also smaller help to me.

>I thought this was slow
No, that's usually when you're fairly experienced already. You aren't winning any contests with it, but it's not bad.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_per_minute#Alphanumeric_entry

I feel as though the entire dvorak thing isn't nearly as beneficial as how they make it out to be, a lot of quick typing is just getting used to your layout so surely a qwerty user could very well be as quick as a dvorak user or regional ones like azerty. Most of it is just repetition. I understand the dvorak approach but if you're already used to qwerty and you're quick enough then why would you want to throw all that over board to relearn typic so that you just might be quicker than before after so much unncessary practice?

>not typing perfectly with one hand

i type 140 wpm non touch typing and I wonder if I would be even faster if i learned to touch type.

maybe not though since I've been typing this way for so long now.

I type like 70 wpm touch typing

You also get used to it pretty quickly haha, also you're not quite right about understand a "large command syntax" you just need to get the general idea of how it works, a lot of me using it is going "does this work?" and then "oh it does" then integrating it into my daily work or wanting to do something a specific way and figuring out how to do it. I couldn't get if you already know how to use it or not from what you posted though, we might just have different views of it.

Didn't know about this kakoune thing though, looks interesting, I'll take a look at it later.

Kak is pretty cool. It has a slightly more logical command syntax and -for beginners as important- that OSD help thing [I suggest you disable the clippy ASCII art]. And some more nice features.

Main deficit is of course that it doesn't support all those nice vim plugins.

>trying to learn touch typing
you don't learn touch typing, you adapt touch typing when it's too fucking dark to see, you don't have a backlit keyboard, and you don't have a light

just by the position of your hand and your sense of touch, you can remember where every single key is

>Qwerty
Who here Dvorak master race

idk, seems like a weird departure from the ubiquity of vi/vim though, and it seems you can do most of the stuff it does on vim already.

I can do 120 words per minute.

Attached: CLICK Nice.jpg (784x1068, 564K)

Maybe not "weird" given how so many projects agree they need to modernize vim under the hood - but yea, departing from vim has its downsides. It still just does more overall, even if it doesn't do some of these things as well as we'd like from a newer editor.

Whether they can patch it all into vim over time or whether neovim, kakoune or some such will take over remains to be seen.

>Because i cannot hit that x key square on without taking off my other fingers from the keyboard
Post your hands. Also, your fingers don't always have to be in contact with the keys, but you need to be able to properly position them without looking. When I type my fingers are usually floating and I'll only press down on a couple of keys at a time, but 7-8 of my fingers will just be in the air.

yeah you're a typelet, unless you are typing a lot of numbers/symbols.

... what else would you hit it with?

I use one hand most of the time desu.

Attached: 3FD519E8-DDFF-4C39-884D-5E8E36586B60.jpg (251x201, 18K)

I only use my index finger on my right hand and my first three fingers on my left hand.

Attached: 1_98_490_490_0_92_0_3.png (305x352, 7K)

>tfw have always capitalized a letter by double-tapping caps lock
>can type 80WPM while doing this
>switching to shift puts me down to 40 but I know I could be a lot faster using shift
>Linux has a problem where caps lock doesn't disengage as quickly as Windows so I end up doing THis a lot
how the fuck do I stop

I modified it to this before training

The left hand claws inwards for bottom row like the right hand

Also the left is so overloaded i gave b to the right, which is dead center of my board

Attached: 1526509831890.png (549x331, 52K)

I mean, the thing with vim is that it's legit the most used and it'll probably stay that way because so far it hasn't done anything that really pissed off people, heck, there are people still using vi only to this day, so unless their direction change and they start doing things in a way people don't like it'll probably never get overthrown.

I had to test it out to see, but I use my ring finger intuitively. Just keep doing it the way they suggest. Touch typing is 100% worth it. My little sister does it at over 100 WPM. You can do it.

What?

That is the basic of typing, niggers.

I use to do this too before I switched to touch typing, except I had something like 70-75, I can't even remember how I did it.

Lay off the burgers lard boi

It's not placebo, it really does move the majority of your keypresses to the homerow. It's inconvenient swapping the layout on other people's computers but it's not that big a deal.

Map your capslock key to something else, it'll force you to stop and it's also handy to use that key for other shit

i use index and middle finger typing with ring for modifier keys at 100 wpm
forcing homerow usage is as stupid as beating the shit out of a lefty for not using their god-approved right hand

if you want to try it then go for it, but you just need incentives to type faster

I don't look at my screen or keyboard to intimidate my coworkers

I usually move my hands a bit to expand the range of my index and middle finger
for example, I'll hit x with my middle finger
and z with my ring finger

Just deal with it and whenever you're going fast you'll skip it and do whatever's better for you personally. I dunno what the fuck I type the x with but I don't think I use the ring finger for anything except a and s-chording.

This. I'm a retard at touch typing but it's much less annoying.
I used to also get like 70 wpm hunt and peck
Now I get like 60 wpm touch.

What the FUCK is this bullshit? Do people seriously paint their nails the same color as their keys to learn where each finger is supposed to go? Jesus fucking christ.

They're painted to match the color of their programming socks. The keyboard is just a bonus.

This is why I paint my nails BLACK. Also because they match the color of my soul, etc.

kek

Orthodox touch typing is a meme, use multiple fingers, but use a method that is ergonomic *for you* the standard touch typing pattern is not ergonomic for me outside of essentially the main homerow keys

How over is it for me? I can type > 120 wpm, but I often make mistakes.

Attached: uhoh.png (888x623, 56K)

I use my middle finger for x

I can type 140wpm and still use my index finger to type a ton of letters like L. Not gonna bother switching any time soon.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you will just all of the sudden forget qwerty if you learn Dvorak. Also if you are using other people's computers often enough that you need to be fast at qwerty then you probably would be using qwerty often enough to remember it.

>b with thumb
wtf

You don't find it frustrating typing that slow?

Are you left handed? I can't understand why you wouldn't use your right pinky for enter and shift and stuff unless you're just bad with that hand

Yeah that don't make no sense, how are you going to thumb over the top of a spacebar? Just doesn't bend that way.

I have to stick with qwerty and ANSI for my keyboard layout as I type in another asian pacific language that uses the ANSI layout for all the special characters.

My keyboard is just a regular US qwerty ANSI layout and doesn't have the special characters printed on it, which means I can't type on even the ISO layout keyboards because some characters will be in a different place.

That said, I also have lost the ability to type with only 1 hand, I literally cannot type unless I have both hands on the keyboard, especially when I'm typing the other language.

I have both languages so motor memorized I can't even tell someone where a key is, and why I can't type with only one hand.

To explain how my hand rests:
Left pinky is always hovering over CTRL.
Fourth finger is always hovering in the Q-A area.
Middle finger is hovering around W-E
Index finger hovers around R-T
My thumb rests on the space bar directly below the B key.

I think why I am used to using B with my left hand is because of World of Warcraft since I'd always have my right hand on the mouse. I also have alien fingers.

Right handed but using my pinky for anything feels weird to me.

That's an absolutely horrendous way to use a keyboard.

I unironically use mostly two fingers and touch type. Got 50 wpm with some online test. Could be a lot better if I would bother to learn how to actually type.

I generally only use my pointer and middle fingers, ring for some keys and pinkies for shit like Ctrl, Caps, Return, etc. and got from 45wpm to 75wpm by spending a year or so arguing with cunts on this board. I've plateaued since then though

1. You may use superior grid physical layout
2. You may use superior splitting boards with perfect angle for each of your hands
3. You may another layout, such as colemak mod-DH or workman (they are programmed into the keyboard, so your PC only needs to know QWERTY)

You may thank me later for that.

Attached: MD-18233_20160509234619_55a6a0fb93d5d53b (1).jpg (955x637, 162K)

i become severely unstable if i don't look at what i'm typing. not at the keyboard, but the screen. seeing the right characters appear soothes me.

This is how I type.
I also use capslock instead of shift

Attached: pevw6hjr.png (549x331, 56K)

When I took keyboarding class in high school the fastest typist used Caps instead of Shift

also my score here
I don't know, I never got used to using shift

Attached: ss (2018-05-17 at 03.22.57).png (632x447, 30K)

yeah it works if it weren't for the captcha i could s hitpost without even looking at the scrwwn

I used to work as an audio typist, yes it's legit and no you don't need to touch type to be a fast typist. I finger peck and hit 110wpm when I'm in my flow.

I use my pinky finger for X and my record wpm is 159 with 0 errors.

>Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you will just all of the sudden forget qwerty if you learn Dvorak
you will, as I've seen happen with many friends who have switched to dvorak
>Also if you are using other people's computers often enough that you need to be fast at qwerty then you probably would be using qwerty often enough to remember it.
true, but then it would be better to keep practicing qwerty instead of splitting your typing time into both dvorak and qwerty

>people are still legitimately considering switching to dvorak in 2018

Attached: 1476039325730.jpg (537x537, 101K)

I just use my middle finger.

>that green on the right.
Nope.

Attached: wtwtf.jpg (588x437, 87K)

>brackets in different positions under the pinky
I want to kill the person that thought it was a good idea.
Also, I'm extremely glad for programmable keyboards where I can correct such atrocity.

>use my entire left hand for typing
>only the middle and index finger of my right hand
hmm

The number row with is completely unreachable for my pinkies. I hit anything from 0 to backspace with my ring finger. I'm way more comfortable to hit 9 with my middle finger.

>I also use capslock instead of shift
Holy shit, it's like you want to make your typing slower on purpose

I used to get up to 160 with qwerty, then I somehow lost the touch.
Probably my adderall running out, actually.

Wtf? Are u a boomer?

If i know where is one key letter on the keyboard, i already know where the rest of them and i can type fast as fuck without ever looking at the keyboard, also in 2 languages

160 is literally only possible in spikes (not sustained) and with a flawless keyboard.

Explain the logic and link to some factual evidence, please. If possible, include diagrams.

I only type with my left index finger and I type at 400 WPM. I tried touch typing and could only do 1 WPM. This shit is trash.

Explain the meme about typing predominantly with your "main" hand.

I'm right-handed but perceive absolutely no difference in typing with either of them. Same shit with piano. Do you think pianists use one of the hands more?

Why is typing considered any different?

Piano hand independence/dependence is definitely a real thing that you have to train out

Attached: keyboardstuff_vpx.webm (720x405, 2.89M)

>Piano hand independence/dependence
Is real, but it's not the problem of one hand being under utilized, but of asynchronous actions. Same shit with drums. Pulling different rhythms is a bitch.

And typing should strive for asynchronosity if you wish to get better, right? Having to lock yourself down to a certain rhythm when a faster rhythm is available is negative

Master race is middle 3 fingers on left hand and pointer + middle finger on right hand