Finally giving in

Now that 85% of Linux distros and growing are internally compromised by systemD exploits, is this our only option left for security?

>inb4 non-systemd dependent distro
The problem is that SystemD drpendency has grown so big that in a few years there will be no way to use a modern linux system without it. You can try that method for now but I doubt it will be able to last very long before giving in.

But does openBSD even have any programs? How do I even start? Same thing with dragonfly, I have no idea where to enter and get used to the learning curve

Attached: 696px-Puffy_mascot_openbsd.gif (696x599, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=129296046123471&w=2
tedunangst.com/flak/post/ZFS-on-OpenBSD
github.com/davidlind/taas/blob/master/insults.json
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

If you just use Linux for development, you'll have zero issues jumping to any BSD. If you use it for anything else, you're going to have a hell of a time migrating.

Or we could just split dystemd up into its component forms

Its still too big to audit
What if I'm migrating to BSD from [spoiler] windows [/spoiler]?

Fork it :^P

No but really, it's sad that it's default for so many distros but because of the nature of FLOSS alternatives will always exist.
Take Gentoo for example, you don't have to use systemD, you can even use GNOME without SystemD even though GNOME depends on it and is explained on the Gentoo wiki.

There are many autistic tin foil programmers in the FLOSS world, which is why alternatives will keep continue existing.

Then have fun.

Unix master race

Gentoo still uses init.

the best way to avoid viruses and exploits is as follows:

ignore them and pretend they don't exist.
pic related.

Attached: c4jt321.png (580x282, 310K)

>not using Crux or Gentoo

I have no idea where to enter and get used to the learning curve

Read the FAQ and the man pages. Is not rocket science.

Attached: setup.jpg (1000x757, 92K)

>using social media in one window
>taking a random dmesg in the other window with no other programs apparently open to be debugging
>weird ball mouse meme
>weird dual keyboard meme
>fossil black dumbphone
>all of this seems to be taking place on a cheap office carpet
What is this image????

that's hacker carpeting you imbecile

The BSD's, she's a shits.

>Its still too big to audit
t. brainlet
A browser has more lines of code than SystemDick

Haven't all the BSDs been CoCced?

GPL is like free software on steroids.
It seems like BSD and MIT are masterrace
licenses.

Anyways, does openbsd support drivers for video cards that have like 8gb video memory? Does it support drivers in general like gnu/linux or no? Is it just good for thinkpads?

The debian fork has the autism to survive longterm.

No you dipshit, BSD the license is the very reason that BSD the OS has no fucking drivers. The companies prefer to accept free code, repackage it, and sell it right back to you.

Can you put a good GUI on top of OpenBSD? I really hate the bubbly 'unix' gui look on most systems.

I want something that looks basic with no curves, anti aliasing or window animations. Basically I want BSD to look like ReactOS but without all the bugs
No only freeBSD which was always shit anyway.
What can I do with it?
Are there any necessary desktop programs for it?
The problem is that once SystemD controls nearly all of Linux, distros like Gentoo will eventually be forced to adopt it because the dependencies will become unavoidable. Even if gentoo doesn't eventually adopt SystemD it will fade into obscurity since everything developed from now on will require it.

I recommend using a real System V UNIX derivative like OpenIndiana (based on the core of Solaris). It's really stable and has cool stuff like ZFS, DTrace, etc. The code is clean and the devs are competent. You can even install CDE as the desktop for a real UNIX workstation experience. I use OpenIndiana with CDE on a Core2 craptop. I hooked up a mouse, keyboard, and monitor and used a 250GB SSD as the boot disk. It's my secondary desktop computer now.

OpenBSD is not good. It doesn't even support SSD trim. It's like the Firefox file picker meme, except this one fucks up your hardware.

>not using GuixSD
Son I am dissapoint.

"Much of any operating system's usability depends on device support, and there are some very tempting alternative ways to support devices available to those who will surrender their moral code. A project could compromise by entering into NDA agreements with vendors, or including binary objects in the operating system for which no source code exists, or tying their users down with contract terms hidden inside copyright notices. All of these choices surrender some subset of the ideals, and we simply will not do this. Sure, we care about getting devices working, but not at the expense of our original goals."

Attached: puffysmug.gif (800x725, 293K)

>openBSD
You glow
systemd is freedom software OP
You can audit it yourself
>too big
less than 5% of the Linux kernel's LoC
If this is your rationale for systemd
What the hell are you doing using GNU/Linux kernel?

Attached: glow_in_the_dark.jpg (1024x1024, 131K)

Have they mitigated meltdown and spectre yet on the BSD's?

Does it run into any issues? What de/ wm?

The fork of Stretch is only a Beta. The project isn't a well oiled machine yet so they're slower than they'd like to be.

You realize the point of Devuan is to rewrite dependent software to work on other init systems right?

its for servers. linux is for servers but it's good on desktop because so many people have been using it as a desktop. only good thing is linux without systemd. but if we get to a poking where systemd is defacto part of a regular linux desktop ecosystem and it's difficult to not use it, i guess i will move to shrine OS

openBSD user here AMA

Attached: neofetch-2018-05-16-07-32-58-21813.png (1366x768, 160K)

Nobody cares.

>Can you put a good GUI on top of OpenBSD? I really hate the bubbly 'unix' gui look on most systems.
Of course
>I want something that looks basic with no curves, anti aliasing or window animations. Basically I want BSD to look like ReactOS but without all the bugs
Use whatever you use on Linux, it probably works on OpenBSD as well

Whatever you do on linux, you can do on openBSD
you can follow current and have a bleeding edge rolling release distro, install whatever you want, make everything up from binaries if you wish to
Plus, the man pages are so good that you unironically dont have to google your issues and hope someone has solved them
You can do pretty much anything with it

Install Gentoo

install gentoo

>using an experimental OS because Linux is too bloated for you
OpenBSD is for their own maintainers. If you don't contribute, then basically pointless to use it. If you hate bloat, then use a minimal distro and compile your own kernel. I'm sure sane OpenBSD devs use Windows and Linux too as their stuff is everything but a modern OS.

Attached: 6349f1.jpg (400x300, 35K)

Most openBSD devs run exclusively openBSD, unlike freeBSD fags that use cuckOS
that's why you'll rarely have a bug even in -current that isnt fixed almost the same day

Attached: virginfreebsdvschadopenbsd.jpg (2518x1024, 392K)

OpenBSD is backdoored by the FBI, use crupix, basically OpenBSD but with completely libre soft and updates only via tor/i2p/freenet

You sound quite certain, give a source

Nice ancient FUD

You have to make it yourself from scratch and host your own repos, that's why it's so elitist and backdoor-free!

>that's why you'll rarely have a bug even in -current that isnt fixed almost the same day
Sorry, i used OpenBSD. Most bugs handled with "fix it yourself".

>some assblasted former dev throws dirt around
>based theo says OK fuck it we are compromised everyone audit the source code
>literally everyone combs the entire source code since the guy that "warned" about the IPsec backdoor didnt point to a part of code
>noone finds anything
marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=129296046123471&w=2
For reference

All I care about being comfy desu. Sell me OpenBSD and I will use it. Is it comfy and if yes, why?

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

Wow, it's been almost a week since you last posted this stale shit. Gotta be a new record.

>it could be in danger of ending at any time?
just make BSD from scratch dude

Is SystemD dolphinproof?

Attached: evil dolphin.jpg (184x184, 17K)

>internally compromised by systemD exploits
[citation needed]

>fs
It supports both ZFS and BTRFS, TRIM is too new for openBSD standards for now
>security
Still centuries ahead from any linux distro. OpenBSD is in fact fully functional with its base system too, as a server, and you can add the most secure shit you can find to make it a desktop and it'll still outshine any security focused linux distro
>sustainability
You forget to mention that after that close call, its getting funded to eternity by most of the huge companies that fully rely on openBSD for servers etc, like google
>standards
no youre not allowed. Its C and if you dont like it, fork it.
C is secure, if youre not a monkey
Theo BTFO that one rustfag around 2 months ago, his reasoning is on the mailing lists and you can find it in 1 google search

>using deprecated OS

yet you fail to even install the deprecated version

My bad, ZFS is in fact not supported or ported and the reasoning is here
tedunangst.com/flak/post/ZFS-on-OpenBSD

Honestly, you should switch to 9front

What exploits does SystemD have?

>is written in strictly standards-compliant C!
And? Like, not so long time ago I couldn't compile one code in single file from somebody on github because it wasn't Posix-same version compliant as compiler and I needed different header in order for it to compile. You realize you are making OS and not Hello World bs, right? That's why there are standards, Posix. I never read shittier argument in my life and I don't even like openBSD.

dividable by gentoo

?

I was using it for 7 years, what's your point?

>You can try that method for now but I doubt it will be able to last very long before giving in.
You'll suffer the same fate on the BSDs - if you want to use GNOME you're going to eventually have a hard dep on systemd or some translation layer.
Whether it's devuan or openbsd.

Also, for openBSD 'where to start?' - RTFM, it's actually really concise.

Nobody knows yet, but I can guarantee you there's a shit ton of them
I doubt its written with security in mind, seeing how poettering works

SystemD/gentoo=0dawaeexploit

*hugs the whole thread*

>if you want to use GNOME
whats harder to avoid systemD on, using an OS distro that ships with systemD, or using an OS distro (or even actual OS) that goes out of its way to avoid SystemD, and all you have to do is avoid some shit

You keep mistaking chadBSD for cuckBSD

maybe not being autistic and finally use/develop new de/wm that is not actually piece of shit.

I find absolutely no reason whatsoever to use GNOME, FVWM is great by default, if you cant into it even i3 works, and if you want a DE without SystemD there's a bunch aswell

>but I can guarantee you there's a shit ton of them
You don't know if there is any exploits. I'm sure theres a couple, but you could make that same claim with anything. Why make a claim that you have zero evidence for? you could mention past bugs, and I would say what software hasn't't had holes? Openssl? Openssh?

Necessary post
github.com/davidlind/taas/blob/master/insults.json

The point is there are software that have a small amount of holes, that arent even serious (ie LibreSSL or openSSH) and then there are literal shitshows like the original SSH or openSSL
openBSD is just better at making concise shit, I trust them with my system

Check out the CVEs for it, then check CVEs for openrc/runit/sysvinit/whatever else

why are you not using the superior CWM

you sure it was a bug and not "hey i want this feature please add it for me"?

Been using i3 for too many years to learn a new WM

> taking the system D in the ass

but I dont use linux enough to find a good gui besides default

Default on what distro?

I said what the hell and installed it recently.

They removed the Linux compatibility layer in 2015, so you have DEs like XFCE and GNOME (iirc) and Firefox is available as well. Packages aren't split how you'd expect sometimes, pkg_add node pulls in npm which is a separate package on every Linux distro I've tried.

>Now that 85% of Linux distros and growing are internally compromised by systemD exploits, is this our only option left for security?
no. Gentoo is great and will always be great.
>The problem is that SystemD drpendency has grown so big that in a few years there will be no way to use a modern linux system without it
The issue with systemd is software with dependencies on systemd libraries.
Two big offenders have been GNOME and KDE, which both have better support on Gentoo than OpenBSD.
>But does openBSD even have any programs?
Anything portable should be in ports at the very least
>you'll have zero issues jumping to any BSD
OpenBSD manages its libraries differently, so you can't just expect everything important to be on the include/lib path by default.
pkg-config is a useful tool on OpenBSD
>Can you put a good GUI on top of OpenBSD?
As far as I'm aware, they support XFCE, MATE, GNOME and KDE4. I've used XFCE on OpenBSD and it works as well as on Linux except that the lock screen isn't xscreensaver.
>The problem is that once SystemD controls nearly all of Linux
the big linux distros use systemd. that's really the extent of their control
>distros like Gentoo will eventually be forced to adopt it because the dependencies will become unavoidable
at worst, they'll just drop support for applications that don't work without systemd.
also Gentoo supports systemd. it's just not the default.
>Even if gentoo doesn't eventually adopt SystemD it will fade into obscurity since everything developed from now on will require it
it's just niche functionality that requires systemd libraries. they might lose support for GNOME again at worst.

how is gentoo deprecated ?

how are you getting past the captcha?

He stated in a previous thread that it was just for show. For the record you could just buy a pass though

What OS has 100% audited sourcecode?

TempleOS

Any OS that's 100% open source.

How would you connect to public wifi?
How about wpa2 psk one?

Have bare installation on one x220 with ifconfig athn0 scan working, was on the move during installation, so the installer did not configure the network. How would proper configuration look like? For home use, including cable networking and switching to public wifis (encrypted and not, implying the password is being given).

Also in security aspect, is meltdown, spectre mitigated? Implying it is, that would be fine on your machine, right, but on x220 i have there is intel ME that could intercept in ways, so to have a "secure" system it would have to be x200 with libreboot, correct?

>TRIM is too new for openBSD standards for now
Still shilled like the best thing since sliced bread.
>fully rely on openBSD for servers
Barely anyone do that. Only a Chinese android reskinner give them 100k like a clockwork.
>like google
Google uses Linux almost exclusively on servers.
>C is secure, if youre not a monkey
Yeah, peer reviews will solve the undefined behaviors. Even pledge is a snake oil as nobody would crack a system through cat or rm.

Attached: 1526439277024.jpg (1680x943, 223K)

>How would you connect to public wifi?
wiconfig
>How about wpa2 psk one?
wiconfig

>I've used XFCE on OpenBSD and it works as well as on Linux except that the lock screen isn't xscreensaver.
Thunar can't mount jackshit without doas (sudo for idiots). That's a big shit in 2018.

>sudo for idiots
>implying simpler == dumbed down
Doas is simply better, hands down.

Better in what? The "stable" release was so well tested, even the error syntax was fucked up. :^)

Config files. Simple as fuck and gets the same job done that sudo does. While we're on the topic it's worth mentioning that while doas is an OpenBSD project sudo is a project by an OpenBSD dev.

>The problem is that SystemD drpendency has grown so big that in a few years there will be no way to use a modern linux system without it. You can try that method for now but I doubt it will be able to last very long before giving in.

Do explain how you plan to avoid this by using an operating system which is not supported by system to begin with.

I hope you don't masturbate too much while you see puffy.

I don't wank to Puffy; I'm merely pointing out that no matter where you stand on the topic you're dependent on developers of the same OS.

>The problem is that SystemD drpendency has grown so big that in a few years there will be no way to use a modern linux system
Why?
Void uses all modern Software with no systemd. Same for Alpine and others.

You can only mitigate the problem for so long. Eventually it'll get to the point where the only options are submit or ignore the existence.

>Eventually it'll get to the point where the only options are submit or ignore the existence
So basically nothing will change.

>buy
yes, good goy

Attached: handrubbinggook.jpg (512x384, 28K)