Does anyone else kind of regret ever getting into technology?

Does anyone else kind of regret ever getting into technology?

i just wish I could go back in time

I feel like me and a lot of people like me got drunk on the koolaid because of the excitement rising up through the 2000s into the 2010s and the encouragement from adults to "get a job in computers cause im good at computers"
Looking back, it's all so fucking absurd. I hate that I passed up shit that only through hindsight i know I would have enjoyed more. I watched too much akira, too much ghost in the shell, too much lain too much terminator too much blade runner too much war games and whatever else fucking dumb hacker movie

So I majored in CS. Then realized the tech industry is horrible. then I realized the only reason i stayed in the cs program were the tiny pinpricks of pure mathematics that were there. I was happiest when I was in my math courses.

I feel like I just followed what was expected of me all my life and now I'm so fucking unhappy and have so much regret. I don't see my life ending in any other way than suicide.
None of this stuff, NONE of this stuff is anywhere close to as interesting as those dumb propaganda movies and anime lead you to believe.
All that shit was just propaganda so we could have more CS worker drones.

Attached: 1512079913276.png (1000x1000, 345K)

Thanks, just bought 100k!
WeebfellfortheCSmeme.png

I got a bachelor in CE and a masters in computer/network security, practically working most of the day and I couldn't enjoy it more
Programming itself must suck balls though, I give you that

Retard lol

I'm 29.
Started skating again instead of playing games. Computer time is dev time only now.

This is why I am medfag

You didn't get into technology, you're barely even scratching the surface of technology. You are just another money who knows how to write html code and jerks off to consumer technology.

i'd rather tie rebar than write code tbqfh

Are you projecting
Same

Hell no.
I’m the exact opposite. I don’t know anything about computers besides how to install games and how to google for help when I fuck that up. While I’m absolutely terrible at high school math, or anything involving numbers in any form, I regret not getting into computers more and more every day.
Being able to code, and eventually learn to work with circuitry and other other hardware could lead you to create some neat shit and fix a lot of your own problems.

i use to believe that too sadly op is right for me

EE sound so much better haha

Holy shit me too. I spend most of my time thinking about how I will use my technology skills to make money to go after hobbies that make me feel a sense of pride when they are completed as they usually involve actually physical work.

Attached: 1511813207070.jpg (467x750, 88K)

> I watched too much akira, too much ghost in the shell, too much lain too much terminator too much blade runner too much war games and whatever else fucking dumb hacker movie
>So I majored in CS. Then realized the tech industry is horrible.

The problem is that you wanted to be the protagonist of one of those stories, but you actually went on the track that makes you one of the nameless background mooks working to support the nefarious corporate overlord's infrastructure.

I have more fun coding in assembly language for old consoles than doing anything productive. It feels like digital construction work.

No, but I regret that everyone else was dumb enough to trust technology.

it's a hobby for me but i'd never do anything tech related for a living

I have a math degree and I work in tech.

Math isn't so great. There isn't enlightenment at the end of the math degree, just more proofs of things that are either obvious and/or things that you'll never use IRL.

Also OP is a faggot

But that's what i enjoyed and I think your saying that you work in tech anyway just proves my point

That's why you keep Jow Forums as a hobby but not a profession.

it always felt like most code is like low risk junior engineering, think of the consequences for putting up a bridge wrong or wiring a power grid wrong. those engineers are respectable because of the consequences they risk and the professionalism that i encounter in most of them. in programming i only seem to find this in c/c++ and only for high value systems that cannot be patched. the rest feels like hack jobs. disposable programmers writing disposable core for disposable devices. i don’t dispute this has benefited consumers but its certainly cheapened the profession

Quit and take up a trade then.

I work in tech because I've been programming for maybe 10 years now for fun/hobby.

Just what I needed, more schooling

fuck it im gonna get into finance and make bank. this shit aint worth it

Lol exactly what I'm doing user.

>NONE of this stuff is anywhere close to as interesting as those dumb propaganda movies and anime lead you to believe.
Same goes for every other profession. Go watch the "medical" or "police" shows and see for yourself.

Cool blogpost user

This applies to everything in media as media has to inherently dramatize everything to be appealing to viewers. Even shit like being in a major war is 95% sitting around with no action going on.

tell more user.

me: chem eng here who drifted into CS but realises the tech meme is also fools gold.

Yeah I regret writing that as its not really what I meant . I'm not so much a kid to expect things to be like the movies.

I don't regret it whatsoever. I wouldn't be the way I am without technology.

you're contradicting yourself

I don't becoming more autist from working with this stuff, just its not everyone's cup of tea.

Tech is known to rewire the human brain differently

>suicide
Can't you just go do what you like instead?

is best response to nihilism

chances are OP is just overworked in the tech sector, and needs to find more meaning in life from other pursuits.

>just its not everyone's cup of tea.
More tea for me then, I guess.

> Tea
T-ourettes?

> get a job in computers cause im good at computers
> None of this stuff, NONE of this stuff is anywhere close to as interesting
It is for me. Screw movies, they aren't as interesing as a reality.
t. admin of cluster Linux systems (Postgres, Gluster, MySQL multimaster, PHP)

just coast at work nigga. do the minimal. youll be more appreciated that way. get hobbies outside of computers. use your autism to become chad. impregnate some pajeet bitches for fun.

Lol this is from a /sci/ thread

Protip: you are not really as smart as you think you are

OP take it from someone who spent three years on a creative degree and a further year of unemployment/min wage retail jobs post-graduation - you made the right decision.
You've studied the skills of the future. Sure, you may feel like a drone, but you can always fall back on expertise and knowledge that a lot of people don't have.

You have to remember that computing and tech in general is a young field (in the grand scheme of things) and you have no idea where you will end up later in life... but you have the qualifications and knowledge to be in a good position when everyone else starts losing their jobs.

Attached: 3c4961eab65437b476a06660d800216b.jpg (1353x1000, 135K)

Blog and reddit spacing

Attached: IMG_20180517_083202_080.jpg (320x320, 24K)

My only regret is that I gained 25 pounds since I started working.
I would go to a gym but I don't have any fucking time.

Wrong

Very

And I mean VERY

Cool post user

Fuck, let's make everyone dump

Literal walls of text

I feel the same way OP, all this life leads to is being a drone in some office, I regret it every day. Now I'm stuck trying to find a job I don't want. I don't know what to do, except maybe join the military. That seems to be my only option to get out of this, at least having a CS degree might let me be a pilot if I'm lucky

Son I have been in the tech industry double the time youve even been alive. I was thinking how lucky I was to be at the cutting edge of industry. I started realising about 10 years ago that there is nothing I have created, there is nothing anyone creates in this industry that will last forever. Architects, musicians, carpenters, craftsmen, artists, politicians, royalty, they create things that last a lifetime, but we just put ones and zero's together that get deleted as soon as someone puts a better combination of ones and zeros together. The hardware is so much landfill, the input is so many key presses and the processing of it all is done in milliseconds when you look around you, you realise you created nothing from nothing and the world owes you nothing.

good job backing up your opinion

>paragraphs are reddit spacing
the literal state of 4plebs

Use your skills to spread the Gospel friend.

Attached: biblebashing waifu.png (745x814, 131K)

What a petty aspiration - to be remembered.

How can I spread gospel using CS degree

You know how.

Attached: terry-davis.jpg (450x450, 26K)

unabomber manifesto talks about this in detail

>gets advice, complains more

never gonna make it

I double majored in mathematics/physics in undergrad, but I chose not to go further after working part time one summer for a small farm. I've been doing that for five years now, and I love it . It's satisfying work and coworkers are great.

Technology is a great thing, but as with all great things, it's prone to bullshit. It's still fascinating, and I get into it as a hobby, but I also enjoy farm tech and not just computer hardware and software. It's nice to be able to work with a large spectrum of technology.

>tfw majoring in infosec
You're completely right desu

I wanted to be a jet pilot, then a physicist, then an electronics engineer. I failed at engineering school, and do tech stuff simply because I'm good at it

Mobile infantry made me the man Im today.

Would you like to know more?

>Does anyone else kind of regret ever getting into technology?
No, I feel like it was the single best decision of my life. I really, truly love computers. If I could meaningfully fuck a computer, I would. My biggest regret is that, despite my degree, I spent a lot of time stagnating as a programmer by going sysadmin work. Luckily, I saw the error of my ways and leveled the fuck up.

Attached: tag sim eu sou blogueira.gif (350x354, 30K)

ignorance is bliss

It really does seem like some more i learn about something, the more goes wrong with it :/

On a side note, I remember seeing the computer science starter kit memes.. things like no more life, only homework, your entire internet history is stackexchange and Google.. and a noose..

I remember thinking haha it's funny but I actually know what I'm doing so it won't be like that.. fuck now I know those aren't funny, that shits real

everyday my dude

Why didn't you become a civilian pilot? It seems like one of the cooler jobs around if you have the right inclination.

Name a better one.

>politicians ... create things that last a lifetime
Not good things, though.

>we just put ones and zero's together that get deleted as soon as someone puts a better combination of ones and zeros together
They'll play nethack on Mars.

>fuck now I know those aren't funny, that shits real
You better be at a top uni.

I agree.
Currently in my BSc in CS, and the amount of people who write just horrendous code is unimaginable.

Thinking that they might end up where they actually write code that runs in prod is making my toe nails crawl up.

yes,but mainly because of autists like you making threads like these

Yeah, so you are going to kill yourself because a tech job is not like your fucking animes?

Like jesus fuck user, there's like millions of other people who also hate their jobs and some others legitimally have no way out and some others just fucking dying out of hunger and you are going to kill yourself because life is not like your fucking japanese fictional drawings for teenagers.

But lets look at it from the bright side, at the very least you've finally gotten to understand there's a difference between fiction and real life.

Now just fucking quit your job and do some fucking self exploration bullshit like becoming homeless or travelling or some other hippie bullshit or...
wait, maybe....
yeah! maybe just GET ANOTHER FUCKING JOB IN ANOTHER FUCKING FIELD YOU AUTISTIC PIECE OF SHIT

I was too poor for that, so I had to adjust my expectations
though I hear pilots are treated like shit these days...

I spent years encoding videos properly to my standards. I have full working knowledge of all the settings and even learned how to use fucking yatta and aegisub and how to typeset and stylesubs and all that shit.

And now I don't even watch animu anymore.

btw, I think OP is really shortsighted. I mean, you could do a lot more in the tech industry than simply being an employee

also, lol @ getting inspiration from movies...

Who gives a shit. Life is just finding ways to kill time through your days. If you get bored, move the fuck on.

Programming ain't for me, never really took an interest in it so I'm glad I didn't fall for the "get a CS degree" thing. No, I'm more interested/good at is actual hardware/networking/trouble shooting aspect of the Tech field. So I went and got A+/Network+,Cisco and Certified as a Windows Sys Admin. Problem is that due to several factors getting into said field is fucking hard. First my employer "state gov" is doing everything it can to shrink the number of people on the payroll by not filling positions and kicking the jobs to "contractors" as to avoid having them in the state benefit plans. Said contractors, even low end, make 18-20 an hr. I can't quit my job, I got to much time invested. Plus I'm in the good retirement plan, people hired after me get kinda screwed far as benefits go. As is I can retire after 27 yrs w/full pension and separate 401k w/medical coverage. Got only 15 yrs to go till I hit 27 mark at 50 yrs old. Second, the tech field as a whole is getting kinda over saturated. So where it used to be long as you had least A+ you could land a good gig now it's "5 yrs exp + A+ certified" for a lot of shit now.

If I do decide to retrain in doing nothing but MATH.
An actual job related to CS is mostly dealing with BS/politics from management, I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

I honestly don't enjoy working as a programmer, but I'm thankful for the enterprise experience, I'll use it to start my own business and get off this rollercoaster ride.

No, but I do regret getting paranoid.

We are in same boat user.

>GET ANOTHER FUCKING JOB IN ANOTHER FUCKING FIELD YOU AUTISTIC PIECE OF SHIT
Is it that easy to just change careers like this?
For example, if you have only ever worked as a programmer, what kind of field could you work in that would pay a decent wage?

And I assume some retraining is in order?

I'm going to go to college pretty soon for CS but I can still change
thing is, I don't know anything else I should do that's not IT/programming
I like helping people in IT and programming seems kind of fun, but I literally don't know any other job that I could work that doesn't involve going out in the sun for 14 hours

are there any job recommendations for someone who still has time to chose?

Attached: 1F9BC2547A884293A243DAB4185E6494.jpg (750x728, 368K)

Become an EE

I'm kind of bad at math though,I mean not brainlet level, I just don't like doing it because most of my teachers were kind of garbage, poor interpretation skills and I rarely had discipline to do shit early(even though I usually did finish everything I want in the end and never had REAL problems)

EE seems to have a shitton of math,more than CS, and I think I'm not that good enough at it to go for EE

Attached: 7B8CDEA8E95F4C9DAE1F0822DD84865B.jpg (480x360, 26K)

You are qualified guy, you have some years of experiences, you have a degree.
You will have it easy finding a job with something computer related and even with something not related -asides from jobs like medicine/law/certain engineerings- you'd be neatly qualified with your background.

I can't tell you what field you should work at. Try the hippie bullshit to find yourself or actually just keep hopping from different fields until you hit the sweet spot. Once you do all you need is your passion and that fucking brain of yours to make $$$ out of it.

Of course you will have to learn new stuff.

>there is nothing anyone creates in this industry that will last forever
you can bet your ass that even in 2060 people will use BIND

Living the dream man

I think you misinterpreted

>and the encouragement from adults to "get a job in computers cause im good at computers"

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck this

Attached: 1521504192937.png (600x600, 548K)

idiot, if you actually paid attention to tbose anime and mvoies you cited you would see they all revolve around the consequences of ignorant use of technology
It is the modern fire. If you are stupid you burn your house down. If you are really stupid and crafty, you burn down the whole town.

Ego death and letting go of the external circuimstances of existence.

I've been doing this for fifteen years. I'm this close to pulling a Stafford Beer, quitting, buying a run down cottage somewhere in the country with no modern technology, not even electricity, and growing a gigantic wizard beard

Attached: anthony_stafford_beer1.png (200x280, 92K)

yes
those who did sports got all the pussy in highschool

What the fuck does "getting into technology" mean? Technology is merely a tool.
As for working in the field, no I don't regret it. I'm currently a military researcher involved in automated defense systems. I really like the job and I love knowing I'm actively protecting my country. It pays decently, but I don't give a shit about earning a lot of money as long as I'm not starving.
Yes, I got a degree in CS. I also got a PhD in Nipland and it was a blast. Worked like a motherfucker, but definitely fun and rewarding.
Just fucking quit your job if you hate it so much. As other Anons have said, you have both a college degree and valuable experience. You already have valuable resume, hence you shouldn't have major problems.
Of course, you will probably need to learn something new, but if you think learning stops once you graduate from college, you are delusional.