Appreciation Thread

Appreciation Thread.

Attached: darealdude.jpg (176x226, 8K)

RIP sweet Unix prince. You are not forgotten, even if Jow Forums barely knows who you are.

>As Kernighan and Pike describe him, Ritchie was an unusually private person. "I worked across the hall from him for more than 20 years, and yet I feel like a don’t knew him all that well," Pike says. But this doesn't quite explain his low profile. Steve Jobs was a private person, but his insistence on privacy only fueled the cult of personality that surrounded him.

Attached: 1525868241400.gif (200x146, 36K)

~"le everything is a file dude" maymay xDDDD

He is deprecated since terry davis made printing strings in C even more simpler without academia voodoo.

>terry davis made printing strings in C even more simpler without academia voodoo

Is Terry God?

Attached: 1514232966689.gif (480x360, 1.33M)

Thanks, Unix-bro. RIP.

No, but God talks to him even though he's an atheist.

RMS looked good without the long hair and messy beard. He really let himself go.

That's Dennis Ritchie, not RMS.

Kek. DMR was a silent genius, GNU/RMS is a toejam warlord.

Thank you based RMS

tfw ywn be best friends with DR

just like plan 9 is superiour, so is rob.

Attached: portrait.jpg (500x335, 19K)

Too late. He's already in nerdvana.

>News of Ritchie's death was largely overshadowed by the media coverage of the death of Apple founder Steve Jobs, which occurred the week before.

Attached: 1501353556731.jpg (340x444, 34K)

didn't surprised me
who knows DR besides nerds?

How exactly does one get the UNIX beard?

>inflicted C disease on the world
>bastardised the superior Multics operating system
Nope, no appreciation from me. I'll save that for RMS or Backus or someone.

Multics was apparently an expensive and slow joke. It wasn't even done in assembly, so that goes to show how slow it would have been in the mid 20th century. This is why Unix exists. There's nothing wrong with C unless you're inept with it.

a hero of Linux community pushing us forward

Attached: thanks.jpg (1024x678, 123K)

>Multics was slow because it wasn't written in assembly but Unix was fast... because it wasn't written in assembly
Jesus christ is consistency with your arguments too much to ask for?
>there is nothing wrong with C
Except for array decay... and pointer arithmetic... and the lack of strings... and the error prone, difficult to parse syntax... and the preprocessor hacks...

Attached: why.jpg (250x228, 13K)

>le epic multics was slow maymay xDD
I bet that all shit you know about multics is shit repeated by unix greybeards.

>proprietary software developer appreciation thread
No.

Attached: 1526491255992.jpg (480x480, 34K)

who?

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (500x500, 35K)

Multics higher level language wasn't even created in assembly as you know it. Unix used assembly and then had a C compiler, which compiles down to assembly.

Do you understand what assembly is? Do you know which ISA Multics was originally designed for?

>Superficial influence of Multics on Unix is evident in many areas, including the naming of some commands. But the internal design philosophy was quite different, focusing on keeping the system small and simple, and so correcting some deficiencies of Multics because of its high resource demands on the limited computer hardware of the time.

Multics was a slow piece of shit that got succeeded, that is said by actual computer scientists and not a 4contrarian NEET who is younger than 40, which is still not old enough to have a reputable self-created opinion on Multics efficiency.

JMC also died at around the same time but as if you unixtards give a shit bout that

Unix was a mistake

this but unironically

jesus MEGA christ?????

That makes Terry a complete idiot.

Looks like as an edgelord from /mu/

>Freetard latches onto his agenda every chance he gets instead of ever contributing to technology.

Literally who?

Attached: brainlet_with_computer.png (798x490, 95K)

especially considering how back in the day people didn't even care about license, making it less proprietary than GNU anything

way to prove my point.

chunky bacon
is he still alive?

who is JMC?

He's crazy.

>newfag

He's not an atheist anymore you dunce. He used to be one in his youth.

John McCarthy, creator of LISP.

creator of what?

He had a lisp, and was famous for starting a non-profit to help female minorities who shared his affliction.

Billy Herrington died too but as if you "but as if you" tard gave a shit bout that

Jow Forums mourned for billy. i saw rip billy herrington announcement at the top of the page.