Data Storage General

In this thread we talk about storage solutions.
SSD vs HDD, RAID Z vs RAID 5, RAID 5 vs RAID 6, PCI RAID controllers vs onboard options.
Tell us about your home server. Tell us about that time you forgot to back up. Tell us about that time your drive crapped out.

Attached: everyoneelsewalkedout.jpg (1600x1200, 398K)

Here's one sqt didn't manage to answer yesterday. Let's say we have two hard drives in RAID1
If sector 3 dies on hard drive A and sector 48 dies on hard drive B what happens?
Is the RAID controller so smart it realizes the hard drives are down to the same capacity or does it stop using sector 3 on hard drive B and sector 48 on hard drive A?

Attached: 207370_10151266116787027_562673480_n.jpg (460x662, 69K)

>ssd for storing backup
no

Nah I wouldn't stick SSDs in my NAS either, but I do have one in an external enclosure.

Depends on the disks, but usually the correction of the failed sectors happens independently of any external controller (reallocation to the spare area).

To the OS, it would appear as if nothing was wrong other than a potential halving of read rates from those specific sectors. Assuming the RAID controller could read and understand the SMART values, it would likely end up passing that data onto the OS and/or any disk monitoring software installed so that the user can take action.

Right ok so the hard drive just realizes it's smaller and sticks stuff somewhere else.
>Assuming the RAID controller could read and understand the SMART values, it would likely end up passing that data onto the OS and/or any disk monitoring software installed so that the user can take action
Which is why we have specific RAID suitable drives right? So the controller doesn't just tell the OS that "It's dead Jim"

Provided the raid controller has some indication the sectors have failed, it'll just read from whichever disk does not send back a sector read error for the requested sector. It might declare the disk as failed though which would degrade the array. In which case your gonna have a bad time when the read fails on the second remaining disk and you only have 2 disks (1 "dead") in your array.

Not the guy you replied to, but the HDD controller handles bad sectors. The RAID controller's job is to ask the hard disk if it is done writing the data given. Think of the whole process in levels/layers.

>It might declare the disk as failed though which would degrade the array. In which case your gonna have a bad time when the read fails on the second remaining disk and you only have 2 disks
Yeah it was mainly for the sake of wrapping my head around where the remapping happens

Does anyone have an opinion on wether RAID6 is worth it for consumer drives like reds or Deskstar NASs?
You get quite a lot of TB for your money there days, but if hard drives don't fail enough, why spend more than RAID5 would set you back?

Greatly appreciated btw Jow Forumsents

Attached: 1291233385407.jpg (500x332, 56K)

Should I be worried if my hard drive gets an ICRC ABRT error about twice a month because it's powered powered by a shitty rpi wall adapter? It doesn't have bad sectors and such, and I can live with an error every few weeks as long as it doesn't damage the disk.

Okay guys I need some help
I've been using an old dell with a few drives in it for backups and torrents and was just moving files around over a windows homegroup because i'm a nigger.

I just installed Win10 Enterprise and can't for the life of me figure out how to share files. Any ideas Jow Forumsents?

what the fuck is raid and do i want it if i get a nas bay with red nas drives?

keep in mind im just storing media that i could just redownload

The problem is that while drive capacities have increased, drive read/write speeds + error rates have not increased proportionally.
This means that during an array rebuild, there is a much higher chance of an unrecoverable read error that would trash the whole array. RAID 6 will provide a higher amount of fault tolerance and chance of successful rebuild on drive failure.

All this said, RAID is not a replacement for backups. RAID is for uptime, backups are what will save your data.

If you get an external NAS it will almost certainly support different RAID types
How many drives are in it?

>RAID is not a replacement for backups. RAID is for uptime, backups are what will save your data.
Amen to that. For me the point of a RAID is a question of protection from a drive's individual faults.
My backup aren't even in the same building.

RAIDZ or RAIDZ2 are the best options. Using hardware raid controllers is outdated thinking.

There's really no excuse to not use ZFS today, with FreeNAS being so easy to install and use.

Just make sure to have lots of RAM.

Jow Forumsdatahoarders

I do some video work. I don't throw any of that away within a few years of editing it.
That's a lot of shit to have to store. I really don't feel like a hoarder.

Surely you can just google "sharing files on the network in windows 10"
Winfags proving themselves the dunces they are.

Attached: taffer.png (360x360, 275K)