Can a fan overheat and burn?

Can a fan overheat and burn?
Since its cooling itself while working, it will never overheat.
And even if it fails and stops working, it won't need to be cooled.

It's the smartest piece of engineer I have even seen.

Attached: main-qimg-9b98e419328fc6ab91304af89ba7d669-c[1].jpg (300x242, 14K)

>And even if it fails and stops working, it won't need to be cooled.
Wrong. The CPU still generates heat, which creates a current that will move the fan. But since the fan is not working it wont cool the air, overheating the fan.
Its the main cause of failure on most CPUs

Ok, but that's a flaw on the CPU design, it's not the fan's fault the CPU is still generating heat.

>Can a fan overheat and burn?
Yes, I've seen once.

Bullshit

>It's the smartest piece of engineer I have even seen.
Yeah, westerners are pretty intelligent.

Attached: 1525328198618.jpg (750x715, 73K)

ebyn kek, topzozzle and such

>praising japan on technology
It isn't the 90s any more.

Yes it can idiot.

>what is friction

Literally how, it's cooling it self.

Attached: adequate_drawing.png (1338x455, 8K)

If you put more power through it than it can cool

Yes. But not like you think.
Once i had to recover the data from a computer that was being used as a server (some childcare center). The cause of the fire was the 12V wire being wear off against the aluminum fan support. The computer was stored inside a draw (for aesthetic) and the short must have set the hot dust afire.
Luckily it happens at 3pm (one of the most hottest hours of the day) and the clean lady know how to operate a fire extinguisher. Beside 3Kg of anti fire dust that i had to dig to find the hard drive, i had no problem recovering the data (had to solder the power wires direct in the board because the electric connector was toasted)

ITT: people who don’t understand motors, bearings, or lubrication

By that logic a CPU can't be cooled, since the air doesn't flow inside of it.

>The CPU still generates heat, which creates a current that will move the fan.
Holy shit really?

>since the fan is not working it wont cool the air
Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Attached: 1526561062644.png (1338x455, 88K)

funny thing is, a blocked fan (0 rpm) draws a lot more power than a moving fan.
So blocking a fan doesn't only decrease airflow, it also increases heat production.

Actually the heat is isolated in the motors case.

>a blocked fan (0 rpm) draws a lot more power than a moving fan.
Why, isnt the alternation of the magnets the same?

causes higher resistance (... with same voltage means more amps are drawn)

Why not design a fan that has airflow on its engine, then?

But the resistance of the electromagnets is exactly the same.

why all that green?
why the cabbage?

related question.
blowing air into a heat radiator vs out of a heat radiator

Because some don't require the cooling at their normal speeds?

Attached: DA5BF330-2536-4649-A766-69FFF7D04896.jpg (640x428, 100K)

What about some that need it?
Gaming fan when?

What does a CPU have to do with fans?

How a fan works.

DC Electric Motor on small bearings.

Bearings will eventually gunk up with dust or simply wear out from friction.

Fans die.

and yet you can feel the motor trying to move, right? where do you think the energy is coming from to create that torque? nothing is free
i don't know the exact physics behind it (fucking magnets, how do they work?)

That's not a fan. It's the inversion of a fan. It uses wind to generate heat (power), instead of using heat (power) to generate coolness

I don't get it.

then whence comes wind?

Probably other fans.

As someone who works in the energy industry this image pleases me immensely.

Because dust will destroy its bearing.

GNU Is My Pepper

Yes it can, but not small CPU fans. This is a common problem with e.g. gas turbines in aircraft, where the flow immediately downstream of the combustion chamber can be thousands of Kelvin hot. This is the reason why these turbine blades are made out of single metal crystals with tiny “veins” in them for pumping in coolant.

However, even the relatively cheap plastics CPU fans are made out of cna easily endure temperatures reaching 150-200 degrees Celsius, meaning your CPU will melt far before the fan does.

>turbine blades are made out of single metal crystals with tiny “veins” in them for pumping in coolant.
Are chemtrails made of this coolant?

>using heat to generate coolness
>generate coolness
Lmao

The wires can if something is wrong with them. A bro of mine build a new rig and when he first booted there was smoke coming out of the machine as well as the horrible molten plastic smell. Some of the wires on the front fans had short circuited and melted.

How about water-cooled fan engine?

Worse.
dust + water = mud

>can a fan burn?
Can a DC motor burn? Obviously.

The coolant never leaves the interior of the turbine blade. It is recirculated-cooled back down and pumped back into the blade. Chemtrail conspiracies typically concentrate on the white stuff trailing the aircraft you see in the sky, which are produced by vapour condensation over the wing/wingtip anyway (not related to the engine)

Feed it with a 15+V power source and smell the glorious smoke out of it.

What you might notice is; the motor is completely covered in a plastic casing, plastic isn't that thermally conductive

You should legitimately kys

think of it this way:
if you start turning a DC motor, a voltage appears over it's connections right? say 1000 rpm is 10 volts. turn a little harder, and its 1200 rpm. 12 volts.
at this point, connecting it to a 12v power supply won't do much. there's ground and there's +12v for both systems. (let's assume perfect DC)
now if you stop turning the fan, the rpm start dropping. and with that, the voltage created within the fan. but...
when connected to a 12v source power starts going in. at 0 volts difference, the power going in is 0. at 2 volts difference, it'll be 2 volts * resistance. at 12 volts difference it'll be 12*resistance.
A DC motor running at zero load uses zero power because the voltage generated within the motor is the same as the supplied voltage.
The more load you put on it, the more power it will use.

up until a certain point when it reaches locked rotor amperage and assuming you have a giant power supply that doesnt have voltage sag then you would create an equivalent amount of heat to how much wattage is being used.

constant duty fans regularly do overheat and fail. This is especially true of larger fans which dont necessarily have high enough airflow over the motor. This isnt catching fire necessarily tho, delicate moror windings breaking tends to be the most common.

this is a good thread op, i like it

What the fuck am I reading?

...what?

t.failed engineer student

this is why that doesn't work

Attached: fan.png (640x480, 9K)

With most fan designs the fan motor itself gets barely any airflow.

Note for example in your picture how the fan motor is behind insulating plastic.

>SPED
kek'd

>cabbage

Can Jesus make a boulder so heavy He Himself cannot lift it?

Do you know how cpus work?
Heat is an inevitable byproduct