/wt/ WATCH THREAD: TGV Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=WpbIaG-MOos

>Thread theme (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=YxIiPLVR6NA

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/8wRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

Previous: Please also watch TGV's latest video where he genuinely talks about his own carry bag, which is not part of a video promotion for the bag company.

Attached: Capture.jpg (1281x1420, 233K)

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/casiogang/casiogang-heat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My gold Rolex "bubbleback"

When I say "my", I mean it's my dads, but he would probably let me have it if I asked him

Attached: rolex.jpg (1600x1141, 353K)

#
You sound like you don’t know enough about watches to understand what you’re doing and just trying to build your case on opinions of other anons. I suggest you dip your toes into the lower end of the market, buy a cheaper watch, read up, see what you like and what you don’t, then maybe try out a couple more watches while researching what interests you. In a couple of years you will have your own fully formed taste. But if you just want to get a decent watch for 5k then Omega is nowhere near the worst choices. I’d still go for a used polar Explorer though

Attached: A9FE5D92-3DE3-44A5-B71E-B48DA5DD7F65.jpg (614x800, 124K)

How do I use this ?

Attached: Screenshot_20180517-163624.jpg (1080x2220, 218K)

Actually, I hadn't thought of that. You might want to get a cheap Seiko automatic, cheap microbrand Miyota, or an Orient and see if you even care about the watch being automatic or even in house or not. Because if all you want is quartz then you cap out on the likes of The Citizen, Credor, Grand Seiko, Omega X-33, Longines VHP, Certina DS 2, then divers like the Seiko Marinemaster and Sinn U1.

Is there any other quartz I forgot?

>soundcloud.com/casiogang/casiogang-heat
Where my gang at?

Attached: 1526563888255.jpg (2619x3492, 1.12M)

>Jaeger LeCoultre's entry level models
I like this brand and their designs. But the store I would likely buy from take 7000 for this model right here with black or white dial, which is the cheapest they sell. I mean, that is too expensive, and it's also very dull in design/finish compared to what I'd expect when I pay 7000. What other models do you speak of that are cheaper than this?

I've had cheaper 400-watches and expensive 4000-watches my whole life, but I haven't really had a nerdy interest for watches until recently when I started considering buying some own watches with my own money. I haven't been thinking about these things a lot before, but now I do care about it all the sudden, eventho I'm not particularly knowledgable about it. It's kind of new for me to pay this much thought into watches.
I would buy an explorer if Rolex as a brand didn't incur so much disdain among people here.

Attached: jaeger-lecoultre-1548470.jpg (566x876, 310K)

Anyone have Watchgecko Perlon? Can't find any Eulits I want in stock anywhere

Attached: geckoperlon.png (606x585, 457K)

Fucking hell it's in nice shape

You in Europe or North America?

Rolex isn't swatch group and makes their own movements. They're pretty good, but some people don't like how "common" they are.

But really, you'll have to be more specific. Quartz or mechanical? What size? Do you like a certain style? How formal? Lume? Because if you already have a couple watches then you should know. Also, post collection

Who /prequartzcrysisvintageswissdiver/ here?

Attached: image.jpg (3264x2448, 1.21M)

The Master Control Sector Dial has an MSRP of $5,700 US

Attached: Jaeger-LeCoultre-Master-Control-Date-sector-dial-2.jpg (1600x1913, 371K)

nice, but because of my autism I could never wear a vintage diver

Oi oi oi, big up the working dons.

Attached: 20180515_184844.jpg (4608x3456, 3.15M)

Push the button when your watch says the time is 1637.

Attached: Screenshot_20180514-114552.png (1440x2560, 280K)

Exactly when it's 16:37:00? As seems simple enough. Thanks.

>is not ever going to dive
>is worried about it’s water resitance

Call me a madman but the first thing as soon as I opened the package of this watch was to fill up the bathroom sink with water and put it in there for 10 minutes. I probably went full retarded but the watch survived my test, therefore it’s worthy of being in my collection. It reminded me basically of how Spartans raised their children in ancient times.

I know. I'm talking about here where I live. Rolex is a big no-no. It's like driving a red ferrari. It's weird, but it's like that.
It should be a watch that can go with dress and with everyday style. It should be automatic movement.

This watch is $7200 here where I live. You will ultimately pay 125% here for these things because of taxes, so I always have to look into the used market and that is difficult.

Yes. That's how the app knows how fast or slow it is.

Attached: Screenshot_20171206-145929.png (1440x2560, 187K)

>automatic everyday watch
Then almost everything works. Just collect pictures of what you like from all the recommendations and we'll tell you which ones aren't shit for the price

Love the 5600

Yes, but for starters I want respectable brands to look into (because annoyingly, I do care about that)

*Sinn UX
The U1 is automatic.
>Is there any other quartz I forgot?
G-Shocks and Casio Oceanus.
Also every vintage HAQ from Omega/Citizen/Seiko

USA

Kinda suck so far.

Attached: Screenshot_20180517-172859.jpg (1080x2220, 165K)

I imagine the main issue with something like that would be finding replacement gaskets

Polished Straps Co shark mesh came in. I actually like this one a lot better than the wjean. The wjean tapers from 22mm to 20 and it just doesn't look right to more for a shark mesh to taper.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180517_113140.jpg (2242x2241, 2.69M)

I get your conundrum, so I'll give you my viewpoints.

You don't buy mechanical watches for their function, quartzes beat the snot out of mechanicals in pretty much every way when it comes to functionality.
So you buy them for other reasons, largely emotional, largely influenced by pedigree.

In general, there are three types of pedigree:
1) brand pedigree
2) model pedigree
3) workmanship pedigree

There are very few watch brands that have "perfect" brand pedigree, the two biggest ones being Seiko and Rolex. They've never been bought out, and have profound vertical integration.

There are a bunch of models that have the right model pedigree: Navitimer, Speedmaster, Submariner, Royal Oak, Reverso, ...

There are very few watches that have the workmanship pedigree, only Grand Seiko has this pedigree in the 5k-10k price range.

So the perfect watch would have all three pedigrees, but pretty much nothing in the 5k to 10k price range has all three.
Rolex has 1) and 2), while Grand seiko has 1) and 3).
These are probably the closest you'll get.

You're measuring over a very short period so there's a lot of error in the rate. If you assume your measurements have, say, 0.5s, then the error in the rate is up to 24spd. Still, agree, not a great performer.

>So you buy them for other reasons, largely emotional, largely influenced by pedigree.
mfw

Attached: 1525876131229.jpg (1335x1336, 282K)

Can I have some pictures of the bonetto? I don't know if you posted but I haven't seen any.

>There are very few watch brands that have "perfect" brand pedigree, the two biggest ones being Seiko

Attached: 193724987932874982.jpg (600x400, 20K)

Where'd you get that strap? does it come in 18mm?

... and Rolex.

Respectable to /wt/ (some complain about styling):
Tudor
NOMOS
Seiko (and higher end Seiko with a different name like credor)
Rolex
Damasko
Sinn
Philipe Dufour
Lange and Sohne
Many vintages
Note that this doesn't make /wt/ the most discerning, just that this is what they post about sometimes.

Respectable to other places:
High end swatch and bremont group
High end Seiko
Most things, depending on whether they emphasize movement or design including swatch groups /wt/ shits on (they treat hamilton like /wt/ treats omega where they argue about "good enough for the price")
Vintage Swiss and German
Anything in the /wt/ section
Any brand with glashutte in the name
Christopher Ward
Eterna (not really but I have a soft spot for them)
Cartier

Respectable to poorfags (and some watch enthusiasts):
Casio
Underrated vintage
Citizen
Seiko
Most Russian watches including vintage, but they are pretty rough around the edges

Attached: aaboxart.jpg (900x1260, 289K)

So, I'm almost never coming here, but thanks again to the anons who advised me to get the laco osaka.
I never wore a watch before and since i got it some months ago it never left my wrist, really the best investment i made since a long time

thanks again /wt/

Attached: osaka.jpg (2160x3840, 2.65M)

I'll take some tomorrow, I didn't end up liking the strap aesthetically, ironically because it doesn't taper. It is quite comfortable though.

Thanks, my man.

>It reminded me basically of how Spartans raised their children in ancient times.

This is too good, thanks for making my morning that much better

>Tudor
>Respectable
no

Attached: 150691_600.jpg (600x222, 33K)

I forgot some:
Frederique Constant (and Alpina)
Junghans

Whatever you do don't get TAG Heuer

These two are in /wt/-respectable section or in "respectable to other places"-section?

These posts just go to show that in the minds of even most watch enthusiasts it is the success of the brand's marketing at creating a perception of 'prestige' that mostly determines how that brand is perceived by people, regardless of the underlying fundamentals.

Personally I prefer to judge watches on the basis of the actual physical objects they make rather than than their success at marketing.

WAYWT/WT/?

Attached: IMG_20180517_181402__01__01.jpg (2227x2560, 1.85M)

>underlying fundamentals of Seiko are in any way substantial

Attached: 298739821797429742.jpg (544x366, 31K)

(You)

Attached: b4a.jpg (619x619, 38K)

This

Why do /wt/ shit on swatch? I've been wondering for a while.

Can anyone identify this watch?

Attached: TG-Womens-Refresh-Banner-1_1500x.jpg (1500x660, 176K)

How many Casios do I have to own to be part of the Casio Gang?

Attached: tgv_dual_wielding.jpg (600x486, 185K)

:^)

Attached: norm.jpg (750x507, 101K)

>Personally I prefer to judge watches on the basis of the actual physical objects
The people who actually run brands like Tudor strongly disagree with you.

None. Just declare yourself a faggot and you're in

>didn't include zenith or bulova
last thread fag

That's really rude.
Definitely not gonna be a brandfag like you in the future.

Other places
Junghans uses ETA movements (or quartz) and many here do not like the Bauhaus style in general.

>marketing influences how people see brands
No shit lol.

Yes, because the vast majority of consumers in the industry are non-enthusiasts upon whom marketing is much more effective than anything about the actual watch. Even large numbers of supposed watch enthusiasts literally know nothing whatsoever about watches except what they read other people say in forums, so their opinions are largely the product of marketing by proxy.

Unfortunately in any industry the percentage of consumers who care about and select products on the basis of their quality and value rather than their marketing is very low. In the long run, however, the underlying fundamentals do have an effect on brand perception, as Rolex amply demonstrates.

I own two Casios and they're great, but I'm just not enough of a shitposting faggot to be part of the "Casio Gang"

So they want to attract people who know nothing about watches, and repel the people who do know about watches?

Fake Casios don't count

Attached: IMG_5232.png (616x778, 717K)

Seiko 5.

Not being brave.

Attached: IMG_2387.jpg (1000x1000, 243K)

One, I suppose.

No, they want to attract customers out of the much larger segment of low-information potential customers than the much smaller potential pool of high-information potential customers. There simply aren't enough watch nerds to keep these companies in business, we are virtually a rounding error compared to the sales volumes of the large production watchmakers.

Some brands are positioned such that they knowingly throw away any credibility with people who know anything about watches to maximize how much they can overcharge low-information customers (e.g. Panerai, where the fakes are sometimes better finished than the real ones sold for thousands and thousands of dollars).

Wow that's ugly

I have seen a diesel watch like this live just for once.
It was on some pajeets wrist.

>No
Then why are they doing it?

Do people actually fake Casios? I can't imagine that being very cost effective.

>we want the Diesel watchbuying audience
>t. Tudor

Attached: Tudor-Born-To-Dare-HorasyMinutos.jpg (1000x473, 62K)

Attached: IMG_5435.jpg (3264x2448, 1.17M)

Pretty autistic

kek

Attached: IMG_2411.jpg (639x640, 36K)

Still raining.

Attached: 20180517_101022-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.37M)

Attached: 1436754570486.gif (340x223, 1.99M)

Do you lift bro?

>white people
>lifting

>being a racist paki cunt

Attached: IMG_4932.jpg (570x716, 121K)

Rate my gf

Attached: IMG_1459.png (566x712, 794K)

if i had the choice between TudorPoster and (You), i would choose Tudor every time, even if he was a real homo

I've never seen someone wearing one of these in public, maybe it's a socio-economic thing?

I have no doubt about that, faggot.

>Still raining.
nice

>aevig
>how the fuck do you buy a watch

Their website is so shit, where the fuck is the store where you can add a watch to cart? Are they just always out of stock??

>I've never seen someone wearing one of these in public, maybe it's a socio-economic thing?
mfw

Attached: 1511869893743.jpg (1200x675, 152K)

You need to be a new money (somewhat wealthier than the average farmer joe) in your 70k to 200k pop town and have low iq to get one.

you sad.. sad man

Attached: IMG_4939.jpg (710x696, 119K)

>you sad.. sad man
wat

>Yellow Lume MasterRace

Attached: lumeshot.jpg (960x1449, 688K)

>Whatever you do don't get TAG Heuer
Why?

Don't listen to faggots like those, they just repeat some bullshit they heard somewhere online.
There is literally nothing wrong with TAG.

>There is literally nothing wrong with TAG.
Aside from the horrible price to quality ratio and mallwatch tier designs you mean?

Your problem is with Tudor's cringy marketing, not me.

Look up TAG heurer controversy

Get a vintage Heuer Chrono instead

Are there any interesting watch microbrands?

>AFFORDABLE LUXURY