The Internet became lame...

The Internet became lame. It used to be a cool place with weirdos and wild ideas; now it's a walled garden filled with social media, fake news and too many normies.

How do we fix this, Jow Forums?

Attached: facebook-downvote-button[1].png (730x410, 24K)

Real life

Make our own internet, with blackjack and hookers, but don't let normalfags in this time.

Attached: GNUnet_logo.png (1200x1241, 292K)

this, unironically and sadly

>can't find good niche communities
Maybe you're a normie too

Curate the pages and users

MERITOCRACY!

>with blackjack and hookers
>don't let normalfags in
Says the 9gag veteran.

This, take what the "weirdos" wanted in the first place while everyone else is online.

Commercialization. The internet used to be filled with "nerds" and "geeks" who were computer savvy. With the smartphone boom any brainlet can get on the internet and as a result everything adapted to the new majority.

make it racist

Dankweb

build intranet

back to your containment site

Attached: SCP3567J.jpg (474x474, 19K)

I2P or what said
They're all either dried up or on one of the big 3. It's not the same.
Reminder that if you currently use a smartphone, you are part of the problem.

while in essence you're right I do think a lot of so called normies got hauled by force into that data-sharing world. you wanna buy a new gadget? it's infested with bloat and most users just doesn't care to much.

"With blackjack and hookers" has been a thing since slashdot my friend.

>if you currently use a smartphone, you are part of the problem.
I do, but I only did because it's become a societal necessity. I can access my home server, set the A/C temperature, turn on lights, and browse Jow Forums from it.

>normies
You're part of the problem, faggot. Say normalfag or don't say it at all.

Reddit

The problem is the women in tech.

Attached: 1507132448136.jpg (720x755, 307K)

Unironically this. Women ruin everything.

Attached: 1521511978900.jpg (400x600, 121K)

We make a new internet.

I make new new internet

Attached: main-qimg-e4819e161536158680ac3f49552903e8-c.jpg (602x339, 26K)

Women in technology are the reason why tech companies no longer just hire the most qualified candidates for jobs, but actively discriminates against whites, Asians and men to hire candidates with fewer qualifications. HR department managers are trained to apply an imaginary "oppression factor" to black candidates. For example, a black woman with an IQ of 90 is the equal to a white man with an IQ of 100, according to their math, because they think that systemic racism is responsible for the 10 point discrepancy, and this gets factored into their hiring decisions.

So instead of tech companies dedicating 100% of their resources to developing technology, they now dedicate around 30% of their resources to diversity programs, female-sponsored initiatives like team-building exercises and diversity training on company time. Women in tech is the reason why so many websites have been bloated in recent years to look good on tablets even at the cost of lagging, crashing or just looking bad on a desktop computer. They're the reason why the presumed replacement for Nyaa was written in Go, why, when programs are updated, they are often less user-customizable than they were before, why powerful software is killed in favor of simplistic software, and why updates to software are rolled out that do nothing to the actual performance but they removed words like "slave" from the code, so a semi-retarded black coder doesn't chimp out when he looks at it.

Attached: 1455562281504.jpg (793x494, 49K)

It works both ways
Where im at, companies hire the bare minimum of women that they have to, regardless of skill, and then hire literally not one more

Gimme a few months, I'll post something here.

Small tech companies can't afford the diversity programs. That doesn't mean they won't move in that direction if they become successful enough, though.

Sure, IF
This funnily enough only works in favor of monopolies

>Plebbit

>if you currently use a smartphone, you are part of the problem
Having a smartphone doesn't mean you use it as your browsing tool.

Though not a way to completely fix the internet, OpenNIC is nice because it allows people to register domains for free with a couple clicks. If we can get everyone to switch to an OpenNIC based DNS server, or to have one of the major DNS servers (google dns comes to mind) peer with OpenNIC, the internet will be a lot better.

you can't

the internet used to be full of rich white kids
today?
poorfags

use pipernet

Stop being a faggot and make actual contribution.

>he has a homeserver
enjoy being hacked

This!

>blackjack and hookers

Redditors need not apply

>How do we fix this, Jow Forums?
remove smartphones
demonetize search indexing

It was a Jow Forums meme originally you fucking newfag

So was coolface. Look at him now. Shoo shoo filthy Plebbitor

>what is a walled garden

Attached: gentoo.webm (960x536, 1.24M)

and what is that if you would be so kind m'sir

Attached: file.png (480x360, 186K)

this is why I like binaries

Attached: 1474687702629.png (320x200, 78K)

Simple rules, but applying them takes practice.
Nontheless, its so much more rewarding after you get used to it.

1)
Ditch social media, all of it.
That includes plebbit, youtube, twitter, instagram etc, yes you might miss out on some stupid ass shit memes, but then again you are not 12 anymore (i guess).
Basically everywhere where you have "friends" online or where you can share media with other people.
If you need to befriend someone on some online platform in order to make real life connections they are not worth it in the first place.
If you are afraid of missing out on news or stuff like that, RSS feeds are your greatest friend.
I check my feedreader every morning and evening, reeling in news articles from 50+ news outlets. Just skimming thorugh them for 15 minutes gives you all relevant news updates.
No need for all this stupid overhead that is "social media" these days.

2)
Only use your (personal) phone if you leave the house if you can't ditch it entirely.
Or otherwise set a specific time window where you chat with friends / make plans etc.
Avoid this constant "being on the phone but doing absolutely nothing of value".

3)
Stop seeing your electronic devices as a tool for simple entertainment.
You are browsing Jow Forums which means you might be inclined about learning technology, use the tools that are avaiable to you.
Picture yourself as some kind of stone mason or carpenter, they use their skills and tools to get shit done, not for mundane repetetive tasks just to kill time.

4)
Find your niche.
I rarely feel like im in this "walled garden" because i don't interact with the pop culture that is todays "entertainment internet".
See 1) for this.

Those are just some guidelines i've set out for me personally, and slowly im getting used to them. Granted i never had social media in the first place, but spent a rediculous amount of time wasting away on youtube and reddit.

best RSS reader for OSX?

Im using Liferea on Linux.
Not sure about OS X, but you can compile from source.

fuck off nerds, futurama was top tier
i don't even know if that's the source but fuck off regardless

lost

>How do we fix this, Jow Forums?
You can't. It's the circle of life.

Attached: Geeks, mops, sociopaths.jpg (620x3300, 558K)

this x2

gross
enjoy your little big bro

some actually good advice. thanks bro

The internet was what it was because of a myriad of cultural trends and attitudes of the time. You'll never bring back the web of that time because people are simply different now. No confidence, assertion, or attitude in the personal sense (rather than the contemporary political sense).

Attached: moorecompaqpres.jpg (403x292, 29K)

ask

He isn't wrong, though.

Meritocracy would be nice, and in a way, it already is in place, as in "he who memeth the most shall be the most respected".

Huh, never thought about it like that.

whole thing is a bit like Jow Forums, more people means content naturally gravitating towards what youd expect from and for the western average iq.
there was once a time even reddit was considered an outlying forum and the average word count per post was about 20x what it is now (or was when somebody posted some graphs last year).
average content is brainlet tier by quite a noticeable difference

Create internet 2

Attached: fight-club.gif (500x204, 469K)

Offline is unironically better.

I spent most of my day reading books or doing a hobby (that doesn't need internet).

Kids nowadays evolved some super-autist brains that can learn new api's and tools so easily I don't bother anymore, can't compete.

Interner hipsters. I think there's quite a few variations from "eternal septembers" to whatever this is.

sneakernet
abandon global networks
ring-0 only
web page distribution in person over bluetooth

>620 px width
What the fuck is that

Fuck off 80’s nigger

We already did. It's called the deepweb.

PROTIP: If you have to ask, you're the normie.

>use darknet
>cops show up 2 days later with a warrant to check my computer for cp

Restart the internet

do you even know how IQ works you absolute retard

This is why I took up hiking, that sort of thing is the last bastion of anti social guys like me. I wish I could be less of a pussy and do real multi day hikes instead of just 12 to 20 mile day hikes that sometimes have normies but they're mostly rare after the first couple miles.

It's more like internet hipsters vs internet beats.

>Tfw you can only do hobbies like reading late at night when everyone is sleeping due to too many distractions in the day

Even hiking is being ruined to some extent. Ten years ago, my favourite park was all but deserted, hardly anyone knew about it. Then people started to "discover" it and share it on social media. Now the day trails are clogged with millennials playing music from their fucking phone speakers or, even worse, from Bluetooth speakers (since when has this become a thing? It's so cuntish) on the most scenic and serene parts of the trail. Even multi day hikes are not great; you need to hike for AT LEAST a day to get away from everyone. Which means that, if you want two days of peace and quiet, you need to hike 4 days in total. Which means more planning and logistics, the need to take time off work, and no simple "jet out for a weekend" mentality.

And this extends to almost everywhere else. Some of my favourite day hikes are being invaded by vast mobs of Facebook-goers who descend on the place to be loud and take obnoxious photos. Pic related was only known by locals 10-15 years ago but now everyone comes here. I have a great national park that is now full of Pajeets who bring their entire extended families and leave garbage everywhere (it's gotten so crowded that parking is rationed). The internet, or more accurately the nuinternet, has ruined our hobby.

Attached: punchbowl5.jpg (1024x681, 305K)

Are you me?
Especially #1 and #2

>hiking
>he last bastion of anti social guys like me
Literally every normie fucko retard on the planet can't shut up about going hiking

Remove capitalism

I bet you live in SoCal or somewhere on the east coast where it's overpopulated. Unless you go out during absolute peak hours the state parks and trails where I live in Oregon are pretty lightly used.

that's how the internet got to this, yes
Now to apply it back on

>multi day hikes
I always imagine Id eventually get mauled by wolves/bears or eat some poisonous plant

I live in Toronto actually. Kind of East Coast (Great Lakes?) but you're in the wrong country.

I try to actively avoid the "busy seasons", ie any long weekends, most of July and August, or October when the leaves start to turn and all the Chinese people come to take pictures of the "fall colours". Which is a shame because I really like fall. Everything around this place is hopelessly crowded all the time and it's getting worse.

>It used to be a cool place with weirdos and wild ideas

What is the meaning of this shit? Its full of more weirdos and weirder ideas than ever. You're just a dumb fuck who was never in on anything and you never will be.

Depends where you are honestly. In the East there is nothing that will hurt you. The wolves here are pussies that are not much bigger than coyotes. The bears are Black Bears that, generally speaking, are more afraid of you than you are of them. Just don't get near a mother with cubs.

In the West, things are different.

>Mountain lions without Macs
>Brown bears
>Rattlesnakes
>Real fucking massive and vicious timber wolves

Plenty of shit to kill you in your sleep

How about we get rid of all the general threads on Jow Forums for a start?

Thanks I'll try this

>I live in Toronto actually. Kind of East Coast (Great Lakes?) but you're in the wrong country.
I was wrong about the location but right about the problem. More people live in the Toronto metro than live in my entire state.

Set up a telnet BBS. If there's no iOS/Android app for it, then 99% of internet users won't know how to access it.

The internet has been normie since the 90s

Create a shadow society in the upper sky-levels of Shenzhen

As I said, it is crowded and keeps getting more crowded all the time. BUT, 10 years ago the crowding was limited to city parks and just the generally awful traffic. Now everyone is "discovering" all the stuff around the city which was almost empty before. You can never get away from these people, and worst of all, they don't even try to change their attitudes out of the city. They bring the same bad manners and lack of regard for others when they go on vacation.

8ch is someone reminiscent of old Jow Forums, but even that is already going to hell

Dark web is like really early internet, but that has gone full FBI

I lurk the machine learning forums; there you have people who are extremely knowledgeable and trying radical things in a very niche area. Plus it's too hard for women so it has yet to be tainted.

Some of us are working on next gen VR which incorporates environments and NPCs that learn and adapt to you. I think that's going to be the next big thing that only smart weirdos are going to be in to for a while. Keep an eye out for that; it's trippy and you'll like it.

Attached: ERP+Components+–Mismatch+Negativity+(MMN).jpg (960x720, 97K)

Blame the Jews and move on to something new

Tfw just that but with network&computer security, retards are literally forced out, and we ignore the existence of pentesters completely unless they are ranked Hacker+ on HTB

i wish freenet was more widely used. it could be amazing and actually secure unlike tor

delete fucking everything

The root cause is that it's too easy to get on the internet now; The barrier to entry is so low that all the brainlets and normies can easily get in.

This, in turn, causes everything else to be shit because it ends up catering to them. You made a powerful piece of software that's really customizable? Well, it's not "intuitive" (eg. designed for retards) so all the normies and brainlets complain to you all the time. So you either get fed up and stop, or cave and make it "intuitive".

It's how well intentioned people end up destroying the thing they like. They make it easy to use because they want everyone to enjoy it, but aren't cynical enough to see all the normies as the cancer they are.

I think I2P might be in the position to be "the new internet" but the only thing I really got out of it were some slow, safer torrents from postman. But it won't last, because it is the cycle. Cool thing starts, people enjoy it, people try to spread it because they want others to enjoy it, this brings the normies, they ruin it, repeat forever. I'm not sure how you'd even go about stopping it.

lel im like so quirky I'M A PICKLE MORTY

Ruin the internet for the normals by filling it with low effort, low quality content.

I'd like to add that IRC is still around and your favorite open source project likely has a channel on Freenode.

Do you?