Rots your bits overtime

>rots your bits overtime

Attached: verbatim cd-r 25 pack.jpg (507x480, 35K)

>physical media is dead because normies fell for the "store your shit on other peoples computers" meme

Attached: 1487995372101.jpg (640x480, 31K)

There is still NAS or external drives. USB flash drives etc. Its just that those happen to be faster than CDs.

I dont even have the mechanics lol (but i kept all original games i ever had [which is less than 10] )

>USB flash drives etc.
Flash drives and SD cards are pretty much dead to normies as well

>he doesn't use zfs snapshotting with duplicated sectors...
Lad...
Also dual layer bluray is what champs use.
Lastly optical disks themselves don't bit rot.
It's UV radiation or tempature that makes holes in the reflective layer.

All filesystems have bit rot unless they have hashing/checksums and duplicated sectors with a comparison table with every file indexed.

The physical media can deteriorate but it's not bit rot.
Unless you want to mention flash losing electonic bits over time in cold storage.
or magnetic disks losing magnetivity over time or being counter polarized by stronger magnets.

>tfw no one has made a way to input/output a universal paper punchcard system to store data

Poorfags forever btfo

noooooooo not my bits

That doesn't look like Windows...

I unironically have CDs burned in ~20 years ago and they 100% pass par2/dvdisater verification completely
DVD is still cheaper than Blu-ray
M-Disc is a meme
Just store DVDs/CDs in a dry, dark place

are they?
Last time I saw normies transferring 200+ MB of data they used USB flash drive because all other alternatives had sub10MB/s bottleneck somewhere in them.

>having perfectly functional CDR's burned in the late 90's

maybe if you chucklefucks stored your media properly you wouldn't have these issues.

I still have a CD in my car that I burned almost 11 years ago. Still works fine.
And my oldest CD is from 94 or 95 or so and it also still works.

I only use(d) maxell cdrs

Attached: Maxell_648200_CD_R_700MB_Disc_100_382406.jpg (1000x1000, 91K)

If you encode with FLAC, they won't degrade over time and there will be no bit rot. It's lossless

Floppy disks for smaller files and cds/dvds for larger ones pretty much rule.

Isn't that the same problem SSDs had early on, and still to an extent?

thats where I have all my bitcoin keys

> Not using Life Series

Attached: 9747138_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550.jpg (550x550, 49K)

Just burn more duplicates
Surely some of your bits will survive

Can you prove it? As far as I have researched, CDs, when properly stored, are the best way to save data for the future.

naw, that would be blockchain, its immutate. Do some research first mate. youre on g

you won't notice minor errors on audio cds. a track that gets 70% accurately ripped with eac will still sound fine sometimes.

Is M-disk a meme?

>not turning your whole drive into a giant even number and factoring it with 6 primes

I can't believe you guys don't have a backup of your hdd in your own head.

>Pioneer makes the best most stable disc writers
>ASUS sells 20x more at $20 more per unit

The absolute state of computer "technology"

ZFS is not a backup.
RAID is not a backup.

You didn't answer my question. And you can't prove any blockchain will last for more than 20 years. No miners, no blockchain.

>DVD
>4.7GB/9.2GB
>Bluray
>25GB/50GB/100GB/128GB
No shit DVDs are cheaper, they're obsolete. Windows 10 doesn't even fit on a single layer DVD.

The cloud is not magic, it's just someone else's computer. And if they decide to delete your data, it's not going to be there anymore.

The same goes for a blockchain, but it's on a lot of other people's computers. Still if the coin dies and everyone stops mining it, it will be gone.

I was specifically talking about the per GB cost, and you're an idiot for considering a "windows 10 iso" as a unit for anything. par2 or zpaq files are the only units I care of.

Win10 with only x64 is around 3 GB. You only need dual layer for the dual arch iso.

I lol'd

I have successfully restored an important backup from a CD-RW that was over a decade old. I should probably get a second hand Blu-ray drive.

>someone else's computer
It's slightly more involved than just someone else's computer

Attached: Data-Center-Racks_0.jpg (770x400, 67K)

>He doesn't use ZFS hot volumes with encrypted DAR/PAR2 8% parity archives

Attached: 1526030323300.png (394x520, 156K)

that would be so cool. that autist guy could probably do it. daniel tammet or whatever his name is

>not using LTO tapes

Attached: 800px-LTO2-cart-purple.jpg (800x586, 55K)

Off-site, offline snapshots are a backup though.

For anything that needs long term archiving just use M-Disc Blurays and keep them offsite.

>Incremental encrypted PAR2 DARs on LTO4

Attached: 1524117187365.jpg (704x756, 80K)

>not using every kind of media and storage technology to archive your gook cartoon
It's like you want to lose everything.

Thats why he said snapshots, you fucking tard.