I spend a substantial amount of my limited time and energy in finding the most efficient ways of navigating and editing...

I spend a substantial amount of my limited time and energy in finding the most efficient ways of navigating and editing my code instead of focusing on the actual code.

Attached: Vimlogo.svg.png (1200x1202, 106K)

>15 minutes in vim tutor is a substantial amount of my time

I'm sorry you're retarded, but maybe you should spend your time coding instead of admitting your failures to anonymous people on the Internet.

it's ok, you train your firing skills before going to war, right?

use emacs.
dont get caught up in the elite tricks vim users claim to be able to do.
You just need to be able to do the basic navigation.

>spend a substantial amount of my limited time and energy in finding the most efficient ways of navigating and editing my code
It's muscle memory. You don't even think about it you just do it. Easier than riding a bike, since even a weak faggot who's scared of skinning his knees is capable of learning it.

How much of a hassle is it to set up vim for a QWERTZ keyboard?

Thinkin that vim is so complicated says more about you than it does about vim

>see vim spooned on Jow Forums
>decide to think about considering dipping my spoon
>go to vim webpage
>see black boy with drill making vim
>think that's pretty neato the black boy has learnt to use tools
>still see black boy not able to feed itself. but he smile at camera good. good boy black boy
>wonder if he knows what a vim is
>decide to book trip to africa to learn more about vim
>catch aids
>die
this is the average vim user.

Attached: vim.jpg (1655x943, 419K)

use neovim tard

emacs doens't have this problem

hjkl, 40|, dW etc plus q(macro) are great things.
Beats the hell out of 30 DownArrow's or mouse(type)mouse(backspace) etc

Anyway, it wasn't hard for my 11 year old ass, I don't see how hard it would be for a grown man

I'm currently doing some .vimrc fiddling and trying to do anything in vimscript makes me want to download emacs. I love so much about vim, but vimscript is by far the worst part about it.

evil-mode is great!

I went to MIT to learn more about emacs from RMS. Long story short I woke up naked covered in oil and with a sore butt.

This is unironically true. I really hope neovim manages to get the situation under control with lua.

just use a cheatsheet until it becomes muscle memory you retard

>average vim user.
vimuser.org

The color scheme makes me want to kill myself, also fat trannies

I vimtutor once and that's it.

once you get used to it, there's no thinking required

that's why they call it editing at the speed of thought, also the macros are the most useful and time-saving feature known to man

>spent literally years of my life using vim and emacs as my exclusive code editors
>eventually decide to try some other editors like VS when I have some C++ to work on
>realize it's not that bad after all
>it's mostly GUI stuff, there's still keyboard shortcuts but everything is labelled through the GUI so if I don't know the shortcut off the top of my head I can see it in the drop-down menu along with all its related commands instead of using a help command
>begin to realize I spent so much fucking time memorizing key combinations and shortcuts for "efficiency" when there's zero supporting evidence that keyboard shortcuts are faster than using a mouse+kb
I stopped using vim shortly after that. I stopped using emacs maybe a year or so later since it's useful for so many other things besides code editing but eventually managed to find alternatives for the important things. Now I'm pretty much free of that "keyboard ONLY" meme all together. M+KB is great, it's just that so many programs, like emacs and vim, fail to use or support the mouse properly.

Attached: 1343199885690.png (142x99, 4K)

You can even add vim shortcuts and normal/insert mode to VS through plugins, you get the best of both worlds

I still occasionally use keyboard shortcuts, the difference between how I work now and how I used to work and how I see other people here talk about working is that I'm not autistic about using ONLY the keyboard. I primarily use the mouse but will still occasionally use keyboard shortcuts along with it. It's so much easier to just type some text in and then select some with one hand while pressing ctrl-y with the other instead of having to say okay, move from text insertion to text edit mode, select the next 13 words and now yank them, then move ahead by exactly 3 lines and paste them. But yeah, once you realize that what everyone considers the best or innovative about emacs/vim is already available in other editors that offer better mouse-support and GUI features there's no reason to continue using them aside from niche cases.

Attached: 1343199833809.png (5000x3600, 36K)

Print out a list of the essential commands you need, have them on the wall next to you until you're comfortable and remember shit

You don't have to change the vim keybindings just because your keyboard has a different layout. I have a QWERTZ keyboard (Hungarian layout, to be specific) and I can use vim just fine.

>implying 15 minutes is enough to learn vim

vim is nice when working remotely through ssh for quick, dirty things

This. You can't always forward x11 and setting up remote deployment is a pain in the ass. Not feeling helpless without a graphical interface feels great.

Attached: images.jpg (225x224, 10K)

>Implying it's not enough to learn the basics

Use nano

Attached: op_is_a_fag.jpg (791x682, 46K)

>5 years of daily vim use
>still not intuitive when I do anything remotely outside my routine
It hurts man

what the actual fuck is going on

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-19_02-13-16.png (916x417, 492K)

vim is a g meme