Hey Jow Forums

Hey Jow Forums,
I am a frequent visitor of this board since around 2010.
I have recently decided to give programming a try. I have taken Friday off work and have devoted the whole of next week to play around a bit with this.
I am planning to jump straight into the deep end, learning C, using the book in pic related and google/jewtube.
I was thinking if I had a little program in my that I could work on it would make it more enjoyable, so if anyone has any recommendations of something that would be a good beginners program let me know.
Or if anyone has any other tips in general.
Thanks

Attached: 1526419646972.jpg (494x651, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:HarvardX CS50 X/course/
github.com/rby90/Project-Based-Tutorials-in-C
github.com/tuvtran/project-based-learning
github.com/AlgoryL/Projects-from-Scratch
github.com/danistefanovic/build-your-own-x
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

tips
>use C references/videos if you don't get something, go over it until you understand it completely
>do all exercises in the book
>read and write as much code as possible in C

if you want to do a bigger project, the best scenario is to find something that is actually useful for you, something that you want to create or improve, or some problem you want to solve, and work your way through it. If you have no creativity, maybe someone can post some charts of Jow Forums programming challenges and start with the easier ones. The most important thing is practice, so
>write own code
>read other people's code
>understand it
>improve your own code/thinking
Sites like programming war/competitions might help too

>88
>88

Attached: checkmedubs.jpg (600x763, 227K)

gets thread

Attached: holy checkem.jpg (300x245, 23K)

C almost only jobs begins microcontrolers programming usually software developer Begin more Java/C#/JavaScript/Python/PHP or Go.

Go begin very close to C(no generics).

Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective use C as language teach low level programming.

Why would you start by learning C? You should start with something more relevant

that's how you become a pajeet

As opposed to being an unemployed autist on Jow Forums?

Thank you for this.

learning a language like C before learning java, php, python, whatever, will be much more valuable than starting with a retarded language just because "muh jobs". If one is good with C, learning any other of those other languages will be very easy and quick.

if you get gud there are actually C jobs due to IoT and logic controllers. there are C jobs near me on clist and i live in northern bumblefuck. at that point though you are almost an EE.

Yep, this is correct. Python is written in C anyways so that would provide background knowledge and the ability to integrate libraries like Cython

How do you figure that? Learning C isn't even that hard you faggots make it sound like it's this juggernaut of a language that thinks incredibly amounts of IQ to understand. It's use as a instructional language for a reason.
There aren't that many jobs with pure C, stop talking out of your ass

no there are not, but i see them myself. people like to pretend they don't exist. stop projecting.

Im saying there aren't that many, not that they are none whatsoever. My point is that theres no reason to purposely handicap yourself by learning C, unless you're just doing this as a hobby or some shit. Even then i still think it's pointless

I didn't mean to start the fabled 'programming language debate', I was simply hoping for some advice. My choice is made.
Everyone will have a different opinion, so there is no point debating, however the most popular consensus seems to be that learning C before any other language has pretty huge advantages.

its not that C is hard, its just that it teaches important concepts many other languages ignore

Find a computer architecture syllabus and do their projects

After you've learned C you should learn something like C#

Thank you, will remember this.

But that's for pajeets according to the experts here

C is sought after literally everywhere in embedded systems autismo

you believe the experts here?

Attached: 1526557642265.png (780x720, 611K)

Attached: 1522559457823.jpg (439x512, 73K)

K&R is a terrible way to start learning programing especially C.
If you have read the book foreword you would have known that it is aimed toward experienced programmers that will use the book to get the ropes on C while knowing already most of the ins and outs of their profession.
It is anything but a book for a beginner.
You are making a huge mistake and you have only yourself to blame.

it has none whatsoever. It's more likely to frustrate you depending on your background knowledge. Mess around with python for a weekend first. It's practically pseudocode.
It's more important for you to understand patterns, structures and abstractions that occur in every (many) programming language(s) than nitty gritty address-level implementation. Knowing how a dictionary (a map) should behave by having seen it prior in python will make implementing it yourself in C much easier.

get fucked pajeet

What would you suggest for an ABSOLUTE beginner?

something like cs50 maybe? courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:HarvardX CS50 X/course/

unironically python

all kinds of gets

in english, doc?

nice doubles. check mine.

Attached: 7FFA0063-3BC4-4C6E-864E-040474DAC1BB.png (640x1136, 865K)

>"jewtube"

back to rediit, m8

>If you have read the book foreword you would have known that it is aimed toward experienced programmers

Thats's why they spend a few chapters with things like "how to print numbers" and "what are for-loop and while loop"..

Is this b8 or are you simply retarded?

>>"jewtube"
>back to rediit, m8
plebbitor detected
gedafukouttahere.jpg

Attached: 1525851921787.gif (800x600, 143K)

>I am planning to jump straight into the deep end, learning C,
a.k.a how to not start programming. c is one of the trashiest programming languages plt wise, you shall avoid it at any cost.

Attached: udNsWyq.jpg (2400x1800, 675K)

I’d start with C++ and python. I am in a systems programming class right now that is all in C, and it gets frustrating sometimes even to do the most trivial of tasks (I already have decent experience in python, c++, Java). Can’t imagine how someone who has never programmed before would actually enjoy learning C first.

maybe try some project guides
github.com/rby90/Project-Based-Tutorials-in-C
github.com/tuvtran/project-based-learning
github.com/AlgoryL/Projects-from-Scratch
github.com/danistefanovic/build-your-own-x

Seriously, people who can't keep politics out of programming should not post here.
Go back to whatever containment board / echo cahmber you came from.

>who can't keep politics out of programming should not post here.
politics always been part of programming, tard. read the mythical man month or the cathedral and the bazaar.

>I’d start with C++ and python.

Just start with one of the hardest, biggest and most complicated programming language ever and than add one of the most quirky, unideomatic and weirdest programming langauges.

Solid advice here.
Maybe he should learn Cobol and Malborge next?

Attached: g_c_advice.png (2498x666, 280K)

just learn x64 assembly!

Can you get even more meme-tier?

"The mystical man month" is deprecated ever since stufff like iterative processes and kanban. IT management has come a long way since this book was written.

And "the Cathedral and the Bazaar" is deprecated since every major distro became cucked by System of a D.

Have you been living under a rock the last 20 years?
Now please let the grown-ups do the talking and keep your childish SJW-tier politic discussions out of here.

Thanks.

>became cucked by System of a D.
>let the grown-ups do the talking
The cathedral and the bazaar is still relevant; how foss development is done hasn't changed since then.

Attached: wow anon.jpg (884x574, 78K)

Taking advantage of C thread to shill my engine.

Attached: C.png (867x812, 1.22M)

not sure what that image has to do with politics, buddy. it's just you in a nutshell. now piss off back to plebbit.

Idk dude, I go to a decent UC and that’s how we do it here and our CS dept has a great reputation. You can easily learn the programming basics, oop patterns, some of the STL or you can be stuck in C trying to figure out which flags to use for printf or wasting time with figuring out segfaults.

What else would you recommend? Java? Where the IDE literally codes for you and you pick up bad programming habits?

Pure python? Too basic. Easier to go from c++ -> python than python->c++

C#? Microsoft’s java

>Seriously, people who can't keep politics out of programming should not post here.
Politics is part of programming since its very start when two schools of computing started competing to each other.

>how foss development is done hasn't changed since then

Sorry to burst your bubble, but today FOSS had been adopted by the economy and is basically a synonym for "free labour". Why do you think Bootstrap or Golang are open source? Because the CEO of Google has been reading "Free software, free society" lately..?

Ahahahahahaha..

what a fucking retard

I have a fairly solid hold on C but all JS/PHP webdev garbage gets me seething because of how illogical it is, the apparent lack of structural directions and the near unreadable syntax. Am I retarded?

google "programming problems" and work your way through some lists. Once you're comfortable you gotta pick your own projects otherwise you won't get anywhere.

>2010
lol newfag

No, hes actually right.

if you say so bud

nice, thanks

If you think that shit is bad try looking at the syntax of Mongo db