>Windows is SO much easier to use than Linux!

>only way to get the OpenSSH server beta on 1803 is through optional features
>No features to install.
>dism /online /get-capabilities ..or.. dism /online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:OpenSSH.Client~~~~0.0.1.0
>error 0x800f0950
Any MS shills here care to explain what this error code means? Google doesn't seem to know and all the logs say is failed to enumerate capabilities.

It succeeds with /LimitAccess which makes it skip capabilities on Windows Update, meaning that probably Something Happened to my Windows Update. But what?-- I've reset it every way I know how and it still happens.

Also is it really that difficult to assign names to error numbers, or at least publish a giant document listing every error code and a brief description of what it means?

Attached: Screenshot.png (1366x768, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uqBWTm5b4qw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't know if this will fix your problem at all, but have you tried actually launching control panel instead of using the shitty mobile settings app?

I ain't defending it, but that's your first problem.

Just use Teamviewer.

do you get updates pushed from wsus

have you changed your screen resolution to 800x600 first?

Unrelated, but I have a few Ubuntu serbs laying around that've been hosting websites and small APIs for... fuck a decade now. Upgraded from 10.04 -> 18.04 with absolutely no issue, still working fine. Never any troubles.

Just updated my WS2016 install (required to because I couldn't RDP into it anymore, some CVE bullshit) and it shat the bed mid-update and also decided to overwrite the partition table of a random disk. I genuinely fucking hate Microsoft.

How did you even get the other 'random disk' mounted to the system? Your hypervisor shouldn't have even attached another volume to the virtual machine.

youtube.com/watch?v=uqBWTm5b4qw

This was my first thought, but OpenSSH Server is not listed there. Too bad. It can only be installed through the modern settings panel.

...this is a joke, right? With Windows I can barely tell sometimes, the damnedest things are valid workarounds.

Nope. No domain or anything. Normal Windows Update, though I have disabled driver updates with WinAero Tweaker because it kept pulling a version of the Intel graphics driver that doesn't allow changing screen orientation (wtf). It's a laptop/tablet convertible thing so I kinda need that feature.

Not really an option in my case. Teamviewer uses more bandwidth, and can't be connected to with a script.

Do you have the linux for windows feature added?

If not, add it and just install openssh-server via apt in bash.

The only other recommendation I've seen is to get the Media Creation Tool and use it to do an in-place "upgrade" install to fix it. But it does this.

...it's Windows 10 Pro x64...how is that not supported? Or can it not upgrade 1803 to 1803, and I just have to wait 6 more months until the next release and do it then?

Attached: Screenshot (3).png (702x555, 11K)

I don't, and I was hoping not to go this route. I've done it this way before. The openssh-server from Ubuntu won't start on its own at boot. I'd have to open it and run sshd manually.

metered connection?

you can invoke bash from cmd, so it seems like this should be easy to sort.

No, just a sometimes slow one. The main issue is that I can't script connections.

I might end up going this way, I was just really hoping for a native solution.

I just googled it (i've never done this before), and you can supposedly run bash scripts from batch files.

you try a clean boot yet (or safe mode w/networking I guess)?

Yeah. No features to install.

>Be linux user
>Want to install a new web browser
>Try to install something
>Terminal throws a few errors and tells you it doesn't understand your commands
>Find out you were using the wrong set of commands for your distro
>Can't remember which release you're even on or where to find out since it all looks like software that was written in the 90s
>Input the correct commands
>Spits out a tarball
>Try to unzip the tarball
>It's a bunch of weird files
>Where the fuck is the browser, how does this work?
>Spend 1 hour on help forums reading about the 30+ different ways (15 of which are depracted) to extract a tarball and install an app
>Finally find one that works
>Can't get the commands right AGAIN because EVERY LITTLE THING must be perfect because Linux was designed by and for autistic people
>Finally figure it all out
>Try to extract the tarball to the proper directory
>Warning: You do not have permission to modify this directory
>Wtf
>Spend another 2 hours on Google getting warned by autistic people that futzing around with file permissions in order to install a BASIC FUCKING PROGRAM is dangewous
>Do it fucking anyway because you've had enough of this shit
>Extract the tarball to a folder with the rest of your programs after altering the directories ownership with terminal commands (which had to be exactly correct)
>All done
>Nope
>You only have files in a folder
>Where is the app or the icon, you might ask?
>There's more to come, you stupid piece of fucking shit. You thought you could just do something that would have taken five seconds on any other sensible operating system? Nope, you're using *nix, kiddo, welcome to the most needlessly complicated cult in the world of computing

>Why don't people use Linux desktop guys? It only takes a few hours to install a program or two. FUcking normies I swear

Linux doesn't need to be used by anyone but IT people.

have you tried just typing

ssh user@server

in cmd? It works for me after the update, no need to install anything.

Linux: You can figure it out eventually, and after doing it umpteen times you start to git gud and have these problems less often.

Windows: You WILL reinstall your operating system. There is no other way to fix even fairly minor issues.

Yeah. I have the ssh client, but what I want is the ssh server.

I don't care so much about the client. It's good to have there, but it still isn't as smooth to use as putty, mostly because the Windows console window is still clunky.

>Try to install something
You try using the installer that comes with Linux?
>Try to unzip the tarball
You try `man tar` first?
>Warning: You do not have permission to modify this directory
Probably cause you have to use sudo.

You're a fucking moron, stick to winblowz kid.

werks for me

Attached: Képernyőfelvétel (62).png (1366x768, 455K)

nice IP faggot

duh

>finish uninstalling updates
>everything werks
>disable telemetry
>reboot
>PC won't boot even in safe mode
>2 hours of failed troubleshooting later decide to reinstall
>wait another day for updates
>reboot
>windows update nvida drivers won't work anymore for some reason
>boot in safe mode and install drivers from the site

I swear one more fuck up and I'm going back to linux

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Reddit pls go.

>be ubuntu user
>want to install a new web browser
>"sudo apt-get install firefox"
>just werks

>be arch user
>"sudo pacman -S firefox"
>just werks

>be gentoo user
>"sudo emerge firefox"
>compiles
>just werks

>Be Windows
>Want to install browser
>Download browser exe
>Comes pre loaded with lots of toolbars
>Computer runs slower
>Uploads all data to Chyna
>Little Russian kids sending me messages
Lunix is for elite hackers

Attached: 1526321385347.png (694x801, 77K)