Are SSD worth it for a single drive PC?

Are SSD worth it for a single drive PC?

Attached: StorageReview-Samsung-SSD-850-Pro[1].jpg (850x682, 86K)

They're especially worth it when it's the only thing you use

Definitely yes, they are really damn fast and, atleast for me, with Windows I don't have anymore that 100% disk usage

Storing your OS is the only thing SSD is good for. I wouldn't keep any sensitive data on it since shredding doesn't work on SSD. Any script kiddie can easily recover deleted files simply with any recovery software, so unless you torch it your data is not safe.
>inb4 just trim it
No it's a placebo.

Only if you get a >480GB drive, else they feel too small to me.

Can't it be zeroed?

Nope, data is not written in the same place on an SSD, so when you open a text file then save it, it makes a copy of the text file and write it to somewhere else physically on your SSD. Common shredding methods are useless here.

I mean setting every single bit on the drive to 0

Just write 0s to twice the size of the drive.
The wear leveling will make sure every cell is written over.

If you can afford an adequately sized drive then yes.

I use an all SSD system and there is no chance in hell I ever go back to HDD

It is always worth it

SSD is always worth it.

What about lifespan? I heard they brick after certain amount of write operations, but I also heard it's an extremely high number that you wont ever reach unless your are running a DB with 24/7 read and write operations

I read somewhere that SSDs encrypt data and if you do a format it simply changes the encryption key instead of overwriting data

>shredding doesn't work on SSD. Any script kiddie can easily recover deleted files simply with any recovery software
Are you always talking out of your ass?
It takes ~10 seconds to wipe the SSD with no possibility of restoring the data.

Attached: Screenshot_20180518-095407.png (1920x1080, 429K)

Depends on your budget.

I put a 480GiB one in my laptop and only have around 80GiB left.

Modern drives will most likely last longer than an HDD. They have good wear leveling and should take at least a few petabytes of writes before failing.

This only works if you have always-on encryption enabled. The other guy described this method.

--And to add, this method still doesn't scramble your data the way you can do on an HDD. If your encryption key is weak, it's not secure.

>This only works if you have always-on encryption enabled.
I don't. At least I have never specifically turned it on and it worked on every drive I had (Mostly Samsung).
Takes ~10seconds for 120Gb one. Might take significantly longer for bigger drives.

Can you provide a source that says it simply changes the encryption key? Because I highly doubtful that's the case.

Especially because there are 2 variants of the command.

ATA Secure Erase works no matter what you've enabled. It's a standard part of every ATA drive. I'd assume it's been carried on to NVMe as well.

What about the ol' hammer trick?

Just ues your common sense, what do you think a command that takes a few seconds even do? Securely wipe out an entire SSD or just mark the bits as unused?

A modern SSD of any respectable capacity will likely either outlast you or will suffer a controller failure before the flash wears out.

250GB SSD or SO, and 500GB SSD for my bullshit, all Kingstone
Yay or nay?

>Just ues your common sense,
This is not a proof of any kind. Is speculation.

>what do you think a command that takes a few seconds even do?
For all I know, it may send electric shock to every cell, wiping it.

ram is so cheap rn i opted for an all ram all the time build. easily 4x faster than ssd but i have to have everything open all the time

This guy is right -SSD's have many more cells than actual capacity since the cells wear out very quickly. they are used to move data around but alot of the inner workings of an SSD are not directly exposed to other hardware and you cannot adress phisical groups of cells to be erased.

You "Need" to encryp all your data BEFORE writing to a new ssd to make it "Unreadable"

I bet your motherboard looks like something made by Masamune Shirow

This guy is wrong, SSDs can be zero'd out and wiped completely even easier than mechanical hard drives, which take hours to properly zero.

To date, NO ONE, has been able to recover a properly zero'd out drive of modern density...

>ram
>cheap
nigga i hope you're talking about ddr3

200$ for 16 GB, uhm, no thanks.

>This guy is right
Once again, I'd like to see any kind of proof besides your speculation.

Jesus, that's almost as bad as DDR2 memory. Cost me $60 something to swap a dead 2GiB SODIMM for a 4GiB module in my desktop.

just store your bs on an hdd. if you got money to blow through, it's fine

bait

Recently decided ssd was a meme and ran my desktop on an old hdd for like 3 months. Finally bought an ssd and holy shit was I retarded.

dumb nigger making decisions without research and testing

How do you test before buying?

Google gave me one for free

if you have friends, test theirs. if they don't have one, convince them to take the dive

if you don't have friends, fuck, I don't know, walk into a fucking best buy or something and look for a computer advertised with an SSD. the display models are usually unlocked so people can fuck around with them. no one gives a shit if you reboot the PC, download a benchmarking program to test the read/write speed, or even shove a USB drive in there to copy files to and from

if you live under a rock in the middle of buttfuck nowhere with no way of doing anything, then well shit, that's kinda your problem.

Yes unless you don't use programs that load slowly or hoard terabytes of data. But generally yes.

>not using OPAL