<wdg/> - Web Development General

Prev thread:
>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: wdg.png (822x552, 868K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fs9XYB8LKlI
automattic.com/work-with-us/happiness-engineer/
reactjs.org/tutorial/tutorial.html
rickhanlon.codes/files/resume.pdf
astandke.com/astandke_resume.pdf
patrickyates.me/download/resume.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

is node+postgres+webpack+react a good stack?

What do i need to get into freelancing front end?
What are some skills i need if i'm starting from scratch?

Currently learning html, css and js, bought a Web Dev Bootcamp course on Udemy, and i'm taking my time teaching myself how shit works.
I want to learn this inside out, but i'm just interested in how many clients pay for basically editing a WordPress theme and copy-pasting some code around to make it shiny?
Can you find work as a beginner in this field, or do i really need to know frontend and backend inside-out to make a living?
For reference, i earn like 3$/hr at my current job(yay balkans).
If i could get to 500$/month i could quit my 9-5.

Also, any tips on what to focus on?

Nothing wrong with it, except that configuring webpack is a pain.
Node probably works better with Mongo but Postgresql shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have a CS degree?

Hey, I'm from balkans too, lets work together lol.. Also, its all about the sales.

The client wants to feel like a special snowflake and wants """unique""" design.

They have no fucking clue what wordpress is, what themes are...

>Do you have a CS degree?
Nope.

Sales do me no good wha i have nothing to sell. Starting from scratch by learning html/css/js, was interested in the bare minimum i need to start making some money on the side with front end

youtube.com/watch?v=fs9XYB8LKlI

>They have no fucking clue what wordpress is, what themes are

I used to be a drupal/wordpress dev

I don't wish that job upon my worst enemies.

html/css is pretty easy though (js can get complicated and will require more time to learn)..

But if you want to do frontend without JS, what you really need is taste and good design skills...

>I don't wish that job upon my worst enemies.
Why is that?

I plan on learning all three in time, just asking for the time being.
I'll also need to learn how to use Bootstrap and wp, right?

What are some good resources that ley me think more like a programmer regardless of language?

customers will send you pdfs, word documents and powerpoint slides asking you to make the shit look exactly like what they patched together with word art.

and after you've torn your hair out they'll change their minds.

I guess if you're your own boss you can set your own terms, but €2400/mo wasn't worth it for me.

well, as far I know many wordpress themes are bootstrap based. And honestly, you should learn bootstrap in less than 1h lol... there is nothing complicated about it. You just need to know which classes to add to elements..

damn, I would be willing to do that for that money. I already did your job for half that, just need to be cool and dont take shit personally. Do meditation.

What country your clients from?

you should learn ReasonML and React.

So basically you just edit WP themes to fit their template and call it a day?

austria, almost exclusively I think.

well fuck, my german is shit. what language did they communicate in?

But i guess 2400 EUR is low for austrian standard. You should probably just outsource the work to some shit countries like mine, where people would be willing to take that shit for that amount...

it's not that easy, most of the time.

they'll want custom shit so you have to deep-dive into the template they selected. sometimes they fucked around with it and you have to salvage it even though it would be easier to start from scratch. sometimes you get a half-finished project that another company has been working on. sometimes they'd want their own plugins implemented from scratch. all sorts of stuff

but yeah, i think overall the worst part were the people.

well, web dev companies have very precise contracts. So they get protection against assholes this way... Everything outside the contract gets charged extra.

Freelancers mostly don't have that sort of protection, and if you run into assholes, you're mostly fucked..

guys

guys

what do you use for browser unit tests

half of the shit I use doesn't work in node

Attached: unittests.png (860x429, 45K)

I went to a job interview and they literally fucking asked me to do FizzBuzz as their coding question. Got a good laugh.

>I went to a job interview and they literally fucking asked me to do FizzBuzz as their coding question
I got asked to do Cannibals and Missionaries once, which was funny because I'd previously taught an AI class on solving that with Depth First Search.

Here's a job ad that is so quirky I think I'm not going to apply for it. Any amerifat neets want a remote job? Google this and apply for it.

Attached: TryingTooHard.png (794x1001, 122K)

>Senior Node.js + React Developer
I don't think they're being ironic.

Attached: r9kNeetNotApply.png (728x320, 36K)

lmao

this is great

I think people who hate on Node.js / MongoDB have never actually used them and can't stand the fact it just works.

The fact that electron exists makes them go full pink wojak.

>See Github is hiring, 57 engineering positions
>Many of them remote
>Lots for my skillset
>Global locations, timezone no problem
>Has a list of approved locations
>China not there

I should have seen it coming, they're even blocked here half the time, even when they're not, military intelligence keeps trying to hack them

Attached: Fuuu.png (300x168, 9K)

I use electron myself but I don't see why anyone would use node for server-side stuff when Java exists.
Similarly, I see no reason for using memedb when there's Postgres or MySQL.

Link?

Nice, thanks for the heads up, I'm applying now.

Can confirm node and postgresql works like a charm. I used them with express js.

Literally google "github hiring" you lazy cunt

Nah, that's too many steps.

>I don't see why anyone would use node for server-side stuff when Java exists.
Is there any other are in development, where people are more divided on than webdev backends?
I am not excluding myself.
Love using Node for all kinds of stuff and don't know why anyone would choose PHP for example. (maybe if it's the only thing they know, or they need something that works on their shared webhosting)
I am also looking into Go in addition, but I am unsure if and when it will really take off.
Node is growing incredibly strong for a while now. PHP and Python (when used for webdev purposes) on the other hand seem to be stagnating as well in comparison.
And Elixier doesn't seem to make much of an impact at all.
Not to appeal to popularity, because then you would always go with PHP, but it's also not an unimportant factor.
Still not really a bad thing to have a bunch of options to choose from.

Attached: t3_6vjkem.png (900x900, 193K)

>select "github hiring" from my comment
>right click
>search on Google

github has a job titled Chaos Engineer

I'm applying just because I want that title.

What do you do?
>I'm a Chaos Engineer

also like how their QA positions have 'engineer' in the title. Quality Engineer. lmao. MOM I DID IT IM AN ENGINEER

Still sounds better than happiness engineer at Automattic

>it's real
automattic.com/work-with-us/happiness-engineer/

So support staff are engineers now? Incredible.

>I don't see why anyone would use node for server-side stuff when Java exists
Out of all the languages you could prefer for server-side, why in the name of Christ would you choose Java?

Because 99.9% of people aren't going to say "Oh man..I sure wish my app would be a bit faster for my 0-1000 users, guess I'll go learn an entire language right now!" because it won't change anything at all.

People should really stop with this fucking meme where they suggest just swapping your entire career path every time someone does something they don't like.

Oh boy you don't like node? I guess you should really tell everyone to go learn Java all the time every day, I'm sure they'll definitely just drop what they are doing and go learn Java now.

>knowledge and experience in one of the following back-end languages
>lists every back-end language besides php

because it's the most proven and widely used language for webservices in enterprise

I like node, I said I use electron. I just think that if you want to deal with backends then it's wise to start with the industry standard and only go for other options if you really need to.

How can I remove the vertical space between these circles?

Circles are span elements generated in javascript with a br inbetween.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-18 16-36-42.png (508x526, 29K)

>Chaos Engineer
I checked it out, it's Stress Testing.
I can see how it would be ok but I've done a few stress testing projects and I really hated them.

They were usually done out-of-hours, I was always rushed, half the time I just find that shit gets slow when you stress it and can name a rough number of concurrent users that we can cope with, it wasn't really ever appreciated and when I did find significant bottlenecks, half the time there was nothing to really be done about it anyway, not like people wanted to refactor reams of core code because I managed to break shit when I tried to break it.

Start by showing the CSS rules active on them.
Otherwise we're just guessing about shit, my guess is lineheight.

My random guess is font-size:0 will fix it.

Sweet. thanks.

Just bought very cheap web hosting, sent an email to support asking to give me shell access. Will see how that goes.
Anyone know of a decent framework I can set up without shell access?

Degreebros, how long did it take you to find work after graduation? Did you have an internship?

Attached: ineverhadachoice.jpg (667x659, 77K)

No internship here but I worked tech support for about 9 months before getting a dev job.
An internship, lined up for summer after graduation or something, would have landed me straight into a job. I went to a shit uni though and the corporations don't do recruitment fares for those.

A girl I used to game with did an internship during semester break in her honours year, that led her straight from honours into google. She went to a good uni though and her honours thesis was pretty good.

You know your web loves dat BRC, white boy

Attached: IMG_20180518_080723_edit.png (1440x1214, 249K)

if you dont have work lined up directly after grad (even earlier desu) you've failed miserably

>elm + react + rust
I came

Attached: ss-2018-05-18-17-15-31.png (528x271, 32K)

java is the only programming language that makes me want to kill myself

>type "link?"
>click "post"

One step less.
Checkmate.

> testing your code

Attached: 1495067144493.gif (458x438, 103K)

I want to learn ReactJS
What should I build to show competency and hire ability?

>What should I build to show competency and hire ability?
Nothing in React, thats for sure

Well my area has a lot of Full stack positions that require ReactJS

Maybe a web-app? For whatever?
Or do some research on Google about apps that utilize react and are professional.

Hmm how about a simple drag and drop web gallery?

Based on job marketability right now, and in the near future, what technologies should I learn. I'm guessing MERN but maybe there's something else that is better..

>One half of people
You must learn 30 different frameworks, 4 languages, 6 different ways, you also must know front AND back end + DevOps for $50k as a junior. Oh yeah you also must have an art/designer background for your front end work, know Sketch & Photoshop + linux..Shit did I forget you also have to work overtime & nights? What do you mean you aren't putting in 16hrs/day learning? You aren't going to make it!! Commit 30 times a day on github with no breaks!!!

>Other half of people
Yeah man, you can only REALLY work like 3/4 hours a day, the stress gets to you..Take it slow dude, you'll make it! Just keep going, 4 hours a day is a lot and adds up. Once you know HTML/CSS/JS You can get a nice job paying $80k right away! No problem! Take a break every 30 minutes dude, spend more time thinking than working.

Well, which one fucking is it huh??????????????????????????

Attached: KU87KNW.gif (499x499, 44K)

Neither. Most people with IRL coding jobs just maintain software written by boomers 20 years ago.

All I can tell you, is think/copy things that currently have a professional use in the world. And make that.

Don't make something dumb/silly.

This career has both extremes.

>asked me to do FizzBuzz as their coding question
It's a meme for a reason.

>fill out the application that my dad, Gavin, will review personally
>Sincerely yours, Cutie AKA Acuity Scheduling
Wait, is this written from the perspective of the product itself? That's fucking creepy.

I just finished my junior year and I'll be looking for jobs starting in the fall. That's when you should start looking; some of the students I know above me had jobs lined up fairly early in their senior years.

Attached: renee_french_dog_disturbed.jpg (761x764, 338K)

Can be both depending how good you are at finding work. First one is hyperbole of sweatshop you may accept at the beginning of your career or freelancer.

Also got asked to do renamed fizz buzz as one question in one test. Tbf it's not the worst way to weed out retards.

>looking for jobs starting in the fall
Do companies really hire that early?

If I want to track multiple data from a page:

ga('send', {
hitType: 'pageview',
title: 'Some Title',
page: '/sometitleURL/'
});

ga('send', {
hitType: 'event',
eventCategory: 'Some Category',
eventAction: 'submit',
eventLabel: 'Some Label'
});

Do I do it like this? Separating them into two pieces?

Some do. I know there's a STEM career fair at my university in September.

>learning backend development
>practicing with tokens and authentication
>mfw I spent a hour trying to fix a issue when I realized it was just because I had a typo in my postman .post

Will I ever stop being a brainlet?

No.

I can't find it. I might be retarded.

Anyone have any experience with parsing IMAP messages in php? I have been working on that the entire day and it's a nightmare. Different charset, encoding and the messages keep changing structures depending on if it has an attachment, how many and other variables. Christ...

Every tutorial online works on 80% of messages, there's always some stupid special case.

Well everyone needs a photo gallery

Do you have any recommendations?

None that I can be bothered to think of. I'm busy doing my own shit. Come up with something yourself.

fair enough

I'm wondering if I can use ReactJS without any need for server side data... purely for UI

At this point since you're a beginner I'd just get to more programming and less talking. Pick up a random tutorial and follow the documentation. Gradually make harder things until you're comfortable to make your own ideas.

reactjs.org/tutorial/tutorial.html

But Im not a beginner, I'm an intermediate python, go and c.

Know html and css and javascsript as well.

This is a bit of a dumb question, but how do I into making things for fun? I'm looking to improve my skills out of work so I'm not just a enterprise java codemonkey, but have no idea what to do to have fun.

Well do what makes you happy? something you will use and enjoy both from a user side and a dev side

What a basic question. Are you having fun writing code in general? Do you not have an idea in your head of what will bring you the most joy?

I want to see what you guys have for resumes. Can any of you share a screenshot of your resume documents that you send in job applications so I can see what you guys write to sell yourselves to employers? Remember to black out any personal info of course

Hello no

expect to get untested shit from fresh graduates

I see, thank you.

on the left side : employment experiences, app deployments, educational stuff. on the right side : all the skills i have, all the programming languages and spoken languages + folio + github link.

some resumes i had bookmarked many moons ago

rickhanlon.codes/files/resume.pdf

astandke.com/astandke_resume.pdf

patrickyates.me/download/resume.pdf

I feel like this looks really nice for some reason because I have absolutely no design ability but it just werks.

For mobile view they all go in a line of course

Attached: eij.png (1891x903, 42K)

Something to note, if you're not a huge design-heavy person, just pick up a toolkit like BlueprintJS.

Adds a lot of shine and polish without too much extra work, while still allowing you to style as you'd like by modifying the original stylesheets.

hey guies, i only know html/css and i wonder, how do you create custom local home page in my browser?

It needs to have like 5 buttons, each leading to different URL.

Also, is it possible to login to each of those 5 pages automatically (for example, i click on a button on my home page and it automatically logins to facebook)

You make the page with html/css and then you can link to it in your browser settings. For example in chrome you go to chrome://settings/ and under appearance you can set your homepage to be something like file:///C:/Users/YourName/Documents/startpage/startpage.html

cool!

can i add it to bookmarks also?

When it comes to auto login, i guess i will need to have to script where it does some POST and fills out a form for username/password

>can i add it to bookmarks also?
user, stop asking questions that you can try yourself or are literally one Google away.

Thoughts on floating labels my dudes? I love how it looks but I've heard that small label text + using placeholders are bad design

Attached: 1 wIGNWQjF5UoKslkfk1X8SQ.gif (480x262, 610K)

Should I use OData as a backend to a new project? I am wondering if it is still relevant, as I need to quickly create a backend to an existing database and develop an Angular 6 frontend for it and generating an OData provider seems quite fast and usable.

looks neat, but yeah small text could be hard to read for some

Who cares about retards who can't see.

fucking css

looks neat and readable.

boomers should wear glasses anyways

the only problem I have is that it might be a bit disorienting and slow down UX because you're moving a page element around

but other than that it looks "next gen"