Convince me to buy a Blu-ray drive

Convince me to buy a Blu-ray drive.

Attached: sony-blu-ray-rw-drive.jpg (450x338, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/SONY-Blu-ray-Discs-50-Spindle/dp/B0081CVAQ2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it was introduced in 2003

If you are gonna have a disk drive, you may as well pay the extra couple of bucks to make it blu ray. Don't know why you would feel the need for one. May as well put a zip disk drive in there instead.

They are cheap now, if you are going to buy an optical drive today you might as well make it a bluray.

Are BD-Rs cheaper than DVD-Rs per GB?
Can you burn multi-sessions?

To the best of my knowledge, the cheapest storage method is BD-R. You can get a 50 hq BD-R (25GB) for $40 on Amazon.

Have a search through the posts at reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/ they have some useful information about what discs and drives to buy.

Buy a blu-ray drive or your mother will die in her sleep tonight.

Of course physical media that spins while being read with a laser is superior to a USB stick that you can put in your pocket. I hear cassettes and vinyl are becoming more popular. Blu-ray is the future of hipster entertainment

>can't even watch Blu-Ray on PC
On the subject though, will there ever be a consumer grade replacement to Blu-Ray? It can handle 4K, which honestly is way more pixels than you'd ever need. It's pretty reliable, doesn't get scratched as easily, and when it does, it doesn't fuck the data up.
>inb4 mdicks
Meme format for memeophiles.

>Blu-ray is the future of hipster entertainment
Nah, that would be blue laser fully analog LaserDisc.

I'm surprised that they haven't switched to flash drives or SD cards with some homemade encryption, honestly.

>will there ever be a consumer grade replacement to Blu-Ray?
Blu-Ray is the end of the line for optical storage media. It never even over took DVD and was killed by SD storage and streaming before it could.

Anyone that still uses DVDs has to realize how bad it looks at this point. They'd be better just buying it off of amazon and playing it through their streaming box.

>how bad it looks
It doesn't look great due to the low resolution, but the action scenes often look better than in 720p-1080p streams of the same content. I feel like YouTube has corrupted everybody's idea of how good 480p can look.

don't

got a blue ray burner in 2011 for my build.
never even read a blue ray

That's it motherfucker, I'm buying it.

They do look like shit but a lot of people ironically seem to not care. Most people can't tell the difference between a high bitrate 1080 rip and a shit bitrate one on their big screen TV for example.

Also on matters of using Blu-Ray for general storage. It is a lot easier to just buy a large HDD for a few bucks more than a pack of blank BR discs. You can just throw everything on one large partition and forget about it. Compare that to having to burn like 100 BR discs for the same storage usage. Its a pain in the ass. Back when HDDs were more expensive using CD/DVDs to store stuff made more sense. its also a lot easier to put internal HDDs in external enclosures and just use USB connections while moving them around.

When you realize 2tb HDD are cheaper than a sets of 50 sony br disc.

amazon.com/SONY-Blu-ray-Discs-50-Spindle/dp/B0081CVAQ2

Buy it to play PS3-4 and Xbox one x games

Have these dropped in price at all? I remember looking at them like ~10 years ago seems like they're still the same price.

You shouldn't, it's a waste of money.

700MB CD is 0.25 USD
You might want to brush up on your arithmetic skills.

you can watch them if you pirate powerdvd

Don't bother.

Just work with microSD cards / USB sticks and HDD/SSD.

makemkv my friends

I want to watch my blu ray instantly, not wait around ripping it while my food gets cold

> the cheapest storage method is BD-R
Do you mean on blu-ray specifically?

Because $40 for 1.25TB is more than the corresponding HDD storage while also being more annoying to write/read.

HDDs are not meant for long term storage, they have parts that can fail just by sitting around for a decade.

Optical media doesn't have this issue.

Blurays are really ideal for long term storage with only occasional access needed.

Especially good for any sort of business that is required to keep records for a certain period of time (10-20-30 years, etc) due to legal standards.

All the cool kids are doing it

Attached: tenor.gif (640x414, 192K)

You got some points there, but in reality I'm going with HDD being better at practical long-term storage if you actually care [as in, you're not just doing it so others can bother with these things in case of the need for legal compliance].

You can fire up the respective machine and do a data verify to know the data is still intact. You can move the data forward onto new storage media and file formats without a major hassle and days or weeks spend shuffling discs.

There's also no chance that after 20 years someone is like "what's this dusty box full of shitty discs? eh, let's toss them" or them getting dropped and broken or misplaced during a move or whatever if you keep them in machines that are connected to a network, ready to be powered up, and ready to let their contents eyeballed in full without effort.

And at some level, it's easiest to have a data cloud on site anyhow.

Aaanyhow, I'm assuming a private situation anyhow - probably don't bother with blu-ray. It's likely not worth your time.

Why exactly are these still so expensive per disc?

In terms of technology, what makes blu-ray have 10x size of DVD? Is it the same logic behind dual layer dvds that held 9GB?

There are dual a triple layer Blurays, so no.

Optical media decays with time you dumb ass nigger.

MDisc blurays are rated for 1000 years.

Dumb prick

>700MB for $0.25 is cheaper than 25GB for $0.80
Boomer education

Attached: images.png (233x216, 7K)

How fucking retarded are you?

Attached: 1517756403958m.jpg (842x1024, 69K)

lel, didn't see the 50 at the beginning

How long do MicroSD cards last in cold storage?

Is calling anons Boomers the new calling anons Millennials?

>will there ever be a consumer grade replacement to Blu-Ray?
Maybe if some company stumbles upon a 10x increase in speed/density on accident. I doubt there is a lot of money being poured into optical media R&D now.

I just did, it's great finally being able to rip my movies. Plus now I can burn PlayStation and Dreamcast games again.

From my experience, years. Not sure how long exactly.

You need to verify your data and media inventory every now and then or your data is as good as lost.
If you can do cold storage efficiently with that (dunno, you maybe got a bluray storage robot?), that's fine. Otherwise on-off or hot storage is just better.

done

Attached: the power...of the PC.....woah.webm (720x480, 2.65M)

why wouldn't you get a bluray drive? netflix is fucking dogshit.

protip: go to the library, bring your laptop with a bluray drive and rip everything in one go.

I put one in my PC. you should too.

you can impress girls with your cool computer that plays movies

I'm serious. Most people still think computers only play CDs

Also they're cheap and why the fuck are you still using DVDs for anything but old video games.

Attached: 1526561579924.jpg (900x1200, 228K)

You can rip movies

Or... check this out... you download movies. Whoa.

People like different things, user.

Sometimes I buy a game on PS4 just for the physical copy.

Don't

ITT: jew-ray shills and underage hipsters who think it's cool to use old inferior tech

I can rip a bunch of Blu-rays in the time it'd take for one remux to download.

you get 50 DVD -r for 10 bucks

They're good for reliable backups.

This looks like if the West Coast Customs guys made custom PC cases...

>50 DVD -r for 10 bucks
That's ~$0.044 per GB

You can get BD-R 50 packs for ~$25-35
That's $0.02 to $0.028 per GB.

Literally half the cost of DVDs.

The best data backup! No data corruption and if you pick the right discs, data will remain on them for longer than the civilization.

>buying proprietary shit
>buying shit that's going to become obsolete in half a decade
>giving sonygers money
kys

What will the PS5 and the next Xbox use then?
I doubt that they'll use flash storage like the Switch because it would be too expensive for games that size, maybe they'll just have you install multiple 4K Blu-rays.

then you wasted money

this whole thread is garbage
buy what you need, simple

/end threat

I didn't buy a bluray drive, I ripped one out of a broken laptop, threw it in an external enclosure and have a working bluray external but I have no bluray movies.

enjoy your shit quality rips while I have a 70gb master hevc file.

I've downloaded quite a few remuxes

Except you would only get 10 years of data life on a USB as opposed to theoretically 1,000 on a Blu-Ray M-Disc. You fucking mongrel.

keyword rated
i recall my kodak dvds claiming similar shit and starting to rot in 4 years

>What will the PS5 and the next Xbox use then?
The first revision will use a Blu-ray drive. I can see the cheaper/smaller second revision coming with no optical drive at all.

Shorter wavelength of blue light = smaller pits for the laser to make/read = more data for same amount of physical space.