Why in the year 2018 are you still forced to use gcc to compile the linux kernel...

Why in the year 2018 are you still forced to use gcc to compile the linux kernel? I thought free software was about freedom but you don't get the freedom to use any compiler that you wish to use.

Attached: 1502145145741.png (800x599, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/graysky2/kernel_gcc_patch
wiki.linuxfoundation.org/llvmlinux
lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/22/943
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youre not forced to use gcc to compile linuy kernel

The linux kernel requires special extensions that only gcc can use so yes you are in a way forced to use gcc and the project to make clang compile the kernel is still being worked on.

(((GNU)))'s EEE. Thankfully there are linux patches for that.

>the linux kernel
It's called Linux. Do you call stuffs "the firefox browser" or "the Jow Forums imageboard“ too?
It's just Linux

>website is kernel.org
>title of website is "The Linux Kernel"
>Wikipedia page is "Linux kernel"
>Linus refers to it as "Linux kernel" in README

Just make you're compiler with extensions needed to compile Gnulinux owo desktop thread kernel

Attached: 1523081416888.jpg (554x439, 68K)

What kind of twisted logic are you employing to complain about something so meaningless? You are not "forced" to use anything. If you don't want to use gcc, don't compile Linux with it.
By your logic you should also complain about being forced to breathe oxygen to survive on Earth, being forced to go down instead of up when you fall, being forced to watch out for cars when crossing the street, being forced to pay money when shopping in a supermarket or being forced to open your mouth before speaking.
Fuck off with your "freedom" to break the rules of logic

>War is peace
>Freedom is slavery
>You're not truly free until we put these comfy shackles on you

>Why in the year 2018 are you still forced to use gcc to compile the linux kernel?
I am literally running clang compiled 4.16.9 right now.
Your data is old.

They finally made enough progress that it's usable without any issues?

this is actually harder than you might think.

I believe tcc and clang are the only 2 to ever achieve this.

>be challenged on your argument
>respond with conspiracy theory-level nonsense
The crazy is strong in you

>They finally made enough progress that it's usable without any issues?
No idea. I tried to compile 4.16.4 with CC=clang (I even use GCC patch for native optimisations) and it worked.

Attached: 2018-05-18-15:49:35-screenshot.png (1273x79, 18K)

>linux foundation
>linux merchandise
>linux in my anus

>GCC patch for native optimisations
my CIA nigga

>my CIA nigga
It's open-source and basically adds more targets, one of which is -march=native .

You can check it here: github.com/graysky2/kernel_gcc_patch

>Linux is """"just a kernel"""" xDD
>gahnoo core-utils are an OS!!! XDDD

It's called gnu+linux for a reason. You're not gonna complain that you can't switch out the kernel for a different one, are you? It's what makes gnu+linux be gnu+linux.

Typical misunderstanding of what freedom actually is. Software freedom does not automatically entitle you to have infinite software that does whatever you want.
If you don't want to use GCC to compile the kernel then you can fork GCC or you can write your own compiler from scratch (which is what the clang guys did). Nothing is stopping you, or anyone from doing this.

>gnu+linux for a reason
And the reason is that Stallmann is a very jealous man who can't write a proper kernel.
You can relatively easily swap all the GNU/bloat with alternatives.

>The linux kernel requires special extensions that only gcc can use
Wrong. Clang also support them.

>I believe tcc and clang are the only 2 to ever achieve this.
In other words, 3 out of 4 commonly used C compilers (the last being icc), support GCC extensions.

You are free as in free hugs to pack your shit and kill yourself back to FreeBSD dumb corporate cocksucker.

nobody is forcing you to be a retard who can't modify the linux kernel so it compiles in whatever shit you want.

>The Facebook

I'll just preemptively leave this here.

Attached: 1497940363037.jpg (806x938, 337K)

blame the kernel then

>thanks for listening
>it's written text
what did some shitposter mean by this

>subject a: gcc
>has some wack "extensions"
>is shitty

however

>subject b linux the kernel
>uses these wack extensions
>is also shitty

the two are both shitty BUT they are not related at all. they are shitty for their own INDEPENDENT reasons.

>still forced
No one is fucking forcing you.
It just so happens that this is what the developers chose to use.

>I thought free software was about freedom but you don't get the freedom to use any compiler that you wish to use.
Of course you can use any compiler you want, just make the necessary changes first.
Freedom is NOT about forcing the developers into making their software available in any matter a user may want to, that would be absurd.
Freedom is about the LEGAL RIGHTS for you to use and adapt the software yourself, nowhere in the kernel license is it written that you are only allowed to use gcc.

There is nothing stopping you from forking Linux and getting it to work with whatever compiler you want sweetie ;)

>forced

this, I just tested and got 4.16.9 to compile with clang, pic related

Attached: 2018-05-19-005905_869x682_scrot.png (869x682, 130K)

No need to fork it yourself
wiki.linuxfoundation.org/llvmlinux

Vanilla compiles with clang 6.

Has llvmlinux been merged into mainline or has clang made improvements?

The year is 2018.

Why are you still forced to use Windows to access facebook?

>or has clang made improvements?
I think this is the case.
Probably caved in and added some shitty GCC extensions.

Now one of the main devs left due to CoC.

lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/22/943

Attached: mario.png (356x339, 93K)

Can't even keep the original syntax. Still call shit other softwares you barely understand.

Attached: 1526499426753.jpg (1024x764, 89K)

>Now one of the main devs left due to CoC.
Jow Forums should have a CoC general, so idiots like you can suck each other's cock on daily basis.

Why does stating a fact make him an idiot?