How do I start with linux?

Winfag here. So far I have been using only the live version of a few distros (ubuntu, mint and antergos), the reason is that you can test linux this way without affecting windows. Now before I make the switch to linux I'd like to test the distros for a longer term, which is a pain in the ass with live versions where everything resets with a restart.

My questions
>What's the best way to try out linux in an enviroment that doesn't affect my windows?
>What other distro do you recommend?

Attached: linux_windows_shutterstock_editorial_only.jpg (442x293, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/kylemsguy/memetest86/releases
xkcd.com/456/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>best way to try out linux in an enviroment that doesn't affect my windows?
Just buy a meme pad and try everything

I should have mentioned that I am also a poorfag without a second computer

have you tried setting up a VM ? not as fast as it would be on your pc if you dual booted but still a lot of possibilities

dual boot it you dumb bitch

Dual boot

I heard that may cause problems with only one hard drive.
Will look into it thanks.

Install gentoo

>What's the best way to try out linux in an enviroment that doesn't affect my windows?
Dual boot.

>What other distro do you recommend?
Choose a desktop environment/window manager.
Do you want a system full of programs you'll never use?
If you don't get arch, gentoo, debian or void. (I guess any of those are family friendly to begginers but you'll get used to it pretty fast.)
If you do, take a look at the popular distros.

I personally think that the big deal when choosing a distro is the package repo.

fuck off

Attached: file.png (650x4377, 856K)

>implying I run arch

I just installed gentoo last night and now I don't understand why arch gets memed on so much. Arch is MUCH simpler than gentoo, yet gentoo doesn't catch any flak for being autistically minimal.

I also recommend you can try whatever distro you want but I usually recommend mint (linuxmint.com) to first timers

but you're recommending arch linux to someone who isn't familiar with linux enough to even get past the installer.

it won't

Definitely give Solus a try if you're new to linux

Becaue if you shit on gentoo nobody gets mad because nobody on Jow Forums actually uses gentoo. Arch on the other hand is very popular with Linux enthousiasts and thus will solicit a reaction when shat upon.

Shitting on Arch is a far better strategy for creating a flame war basically.

Attached: researchshows.jpg (626x767, 435K)

I prefer a middle ground between having to do everything myself and having everything done for me, though I don't mind a bit more of the former.
As for the repos: Most of them don't take much on each other, do they?
I didn't see any big difference to ubuntu and antergos.
It's not really popular here, so what's so good about it?

Shit the first reply was meant for

github.com/kylemsguy/memetest86/releases
>If it causes your computer to explode we are not liable.
t-this is a joke.. right?

WSL

xkcd.com/456/

But seriously, if you want to really get a grasp on Linux, try installing Arch, ven inside a VM is enough.
The Arch-wiki is extremely! help- and insightful and basically can take you step by step the whole way while explaining the most important stuff.

Install virtualbox and run linux in a vm

Do I need to do anything before setting up a dual boot with separate drives? Or is it as simple as installing as normal and selecting the drive I want at boot?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1526660679310.jpg (300x450, 21K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

select in the bios with which drive you want to boot

Get more money than. My t400 cost me 120 dollars. That's cheap

Try a *buntu in a vm

Buy a cheapo 128gb hard drive and install Linux on that

Just simply add a partition to your disk, if you use a modern boot scheme ((U)EFI) windows bootloader and linux can live on the same ESP.

I prefer Alpine Linux, but gentoo or void musl can also be solid.

Get whichever Ubuntu or Mint flavor you like.
Buy a fast but not too expensive flash drive (like pic related), 32 GB is more than enough, then install Linux on it.You also need a second, smaller drive to copy a Linux .iso on it using Rufus or similar tool.
If you don't feel too confident disconnect your HDD or disable it in BIOS before installation.
Then, with Linux installed, focus on recreating your usual workflow, just like when you buy a new smartphone with a different OS than your previous one had.

Attached: UltraFlair_Right_retina.png (1000x1000, 89K)

These
Hard drive failed on my laptop, set up a persistent encrypted partition with Ubuntu through the installer on a 128gb flash drive.
I can act like a spy and tell people my laptop will error out without my keys lol

Linux is a kernel.

P.s. using two flash drive will simplify this.
One as the hard drive
The other the installer

>>What's the best way to try out linux in an enviroment that doesn't affect my windows?
You have a few options. You can run it in a VM on top of Windows to try out a few features. You can live boot like you're doing now. You can partition the internal disk and dual boot. Or you can buy another flash drive that's at least 32GB and install the whole OS onto it. It'll be about as slow as your average mechanical disk, but will work like a normal internal disk. So you boot the installer from one flash drive and install the OS onto the other.
>>What other distro do you recommend?
Fedora 28 with XFCE.