Freesync

>buy 4k monitor because it looks good
>Use display port because GPU only has HDMI 1.4
>Enjoying 4k 60fps screen when I find freesync in the settings
>Why? It's only 60hz? How would this make any difference?
>Enable it for shits and giggles
>Screen motion feels smooth as butter during gameplay now

Can someone please explain how freesync has any benefit on a 60hz screen? Doesn't it just match your refresh rate to the graphics cards framerate?

I'm so baffled by the difference it seems to have made.

Attached: Cousin.jpg (727x963, 361K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/pages/how-to-enable-amd-freesync-in-linux.aspx
abc.net.au/news/2017-03-26/tasmania-results-acic-wastewater-drug-monitoring/8387866
abc.net.au/news/2016-08-01/sewage-tests-reveal-wa-drug-problem/7677296
instagram.com/itskatiedonnelly/?hl=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

G/Freesync is most useful at lower refresh rates because it prevents tearing, which is a lot more noticeable at

not op, but will I get the same experience of 120hz with a 60hz freesync monitor? or is 120hz still mandatory?

heck no
g/freesync prevent screen tearing, nothing else. 120hz shows you twice as many images per second, making the motion much smoother.

i use 120hz with ulmb, 60fps looks like it's stuttering to me and has a shitton of motion blur, with or without g/freesync.

Attached: ulmb_motion_blur_from_persistence.png (655x600, 53K)

No wonder nothing feels as smooth as my CRT did...

At least new screens are brighter though if you can live with the backlight.

No, 120hz is still faster/more responsive, as long as your video card can keep up.

G/freesync makes things feel smoother at lower frame rates.

thanks. shame, that means I need a >120hz 4k screen in the future, shit's expensive

Do you know why though?
Wouldn't capping the framerate to 60fps have the same effect in theory, provided that it doesn't go below that?
Because that's what I was doing up till tonight when I found the freesync option.

If the frame rate ever drops below 60fps you'll get tearing. Freesync prevents that.

hz 4k
you'll have to wait a bit, maybe a year or two. and be prepared to spend 1500+€ on the screen and gpu alone. i think no gpu currently on the market can do 4k@120hz on max settings. 1440p@144hz is the sweetspot right now in my opinion.

Even at 4k my framerate never dropped below 60 fps.
My most demanding game is battlefield 4, and since my monitor is only 24 inch I put AA on low while leaving everything else on ultra, I have yet to see it drop below 60fps, but it still feels much smoother with freesync.

The frame rate drop might only be for a fraction of a second at a time, so you won't necessarily notice it on an fps counter, but you'll still register the overall difference in smoothness.

not for games, yeah. but OS and just working stuff will be quite good

That makes sense.
Thanks for clearing that up user.

>still no gnu/linux support

144Hz 4K HDR G-sync monitors are coming before the end of May. I believe those will be 27" versions, with 65" options available by the end of the year.

They'll be expensive as fuck, of course. Well over $1k for the 27", god knows how much for the 65.

Yes there is but it's still a WIP so you need to patch your kernel

This says it only works in a few select games:
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/pages/how-to-enable-amd-freesync-in-linux.aspx

Linuxfags eternally btfo

Can anyone confirm to me if the LG 29UM69G-B supports FreeSync through HDMI?
I suppose so, since it comes with an HDMI cable, but I can't find confirmation about it anywhere.

Also, I plan on using it with a Ryzen 5 2400G (will play the gaymes on 1920x1080), FreeSync would help quite a bit in this case, right?

Attached: 1354479139385.jpg (1024x768, 143K)

>how freesync has any benefit on a 60hz screen? Doesn't it just match your refresh rate to the graphics cards framerate?
It's also supposed to adjust the rate at which the frame are displayed to an amount it can keep up smoothly.
In the case of a 4k monitor it really helps since it's gonna be hard for the gpu to keep up at full 60fps.

I haven't had the chance to try out freesync since I have nvidia, but if it's like gsync then it should also be able to adjust persistence, increasing motion blur at lower rates so it doesn't feel like stop motion.

I've always hated motion blur.

>ctrl+f "sauce"
>0 results found for "sauce"

Only rev. image search results are rbt archives of this bread....

If that is OP's cousin - m8 get off your computer, spend more time with the pham and go Tasmanian/Southern States of US with her....

Freesync also lowers input lag.

>Tasmania
I don't think OP wants to eat her...

Just picked places known for cousin-fucking.
Would've suggested Wales and NZ but I think they're too busy "shearing"...

>I don't think OP wants to eat her...
Also, don't think she looks abo....

Best place to move to though?
Sick of Sydney, thinking Canberra. Looking for somewhere nice, quiet, and cold.

Really? I watch some PUBG pro on twitch and he said he deactivated Gsync because it increases input lag. Would surprise me if Freesync had the opposite effect.

GSync uses a separate chip to do its thing while Freesync is mostly firmware based (I think). Support for Freesync is baked into the new HDMI and DP standards I think. Maybe the hardware based solution of Nvidia adds a bit of latency?

That's because there's nothing special about freesync, it's just an AMD marketing term for standard adaptive sync. If your display supports it, congrats, you get a sticker from AMD.

I think the main advantage to the hardware Nvidia uses is that it supports a wider range of framerate more easily and that it's absolutely propriety.

Dunno, always heard that tassie was the methmecca but..
abc.net.au/news/2017-03-26/tasmania-results-acic-wastewater-drug-monitoring/8387866

Apparently Bunbury's the place to lose yer teef in now....
abc.net.au/news/2016-08-01/sewage-tests-reveal-wa-drug-problem/7677296

>tfw I'd like to see her Map 'o Tassie...

Attached: Jarka.jpg (3000x2077, 769K)

Dunedin.

>Women's open
Wouldn't mind seeing her down under and having a great Australian bite, rawr

I think her name is Katie Elizabeth Donnelly and she's like 15.

Nope.

Attached: images (8).jpg (300x300, 14K)

Attached: katie.png (821x600, 625K)

instagram.com/itskatiedonnelly/?hl=en

Attached: 29095322_202155807224898_8860539852593037312_n.jpg (1080x1350, 266K)

FreeSync and/or G-Sync at 60FPS are not smoother than VSync at 60FPS with absolutely no drops (but they do have less input lag). If you're playing without *sync you're going to get tearing and microstutter. The microstutter makes it feel less smooth. If you're using VSync and the frame time goes above 16.66ms even for a single frame then that frame will be displayed twice as long, hence introducing stutter.

With FreeSync and G-Sync this sort of stutter is avoided since they don't have to keep the previous frame on-screen for another full refresh cycle. With VSync a frame which takes 17.0ms to render will cause the previous one to be on-screen for 33.33ms (2 refreshes). With FreeSync/G-Sync the old frame is only on-screen until the new one is ready, it doesn't have to wait a full refresh and as such it makes minor FPS variance much less noticeable.

We need a new DP version or something, the monitors coming out cannot do 4K 144Hz without dropping to 4:2:2 color and OC. They can only do 98Hz at 4:4:4 8b color (so no 10b HDR). The bandwidth just isn't enough, so these early 4K 144Hz monitors are essentially handicapped from the get go. What's the point of using 4K if you're going to drop to 4:2:2 color? The whole point is image quality and that shit ruins fine detail.

Post more of your cousin.

>if it's like gsync then it should also be able to adjust persistence, increasing motion blur at lower rates
There's no special sauce to doing this, G-Sync and Freesync are only available in full-persistence (non-strobing) modes officially so the persistence will naturally be longer at lower refresh rates due to being no shorter than the length of one refresh.

Attached: 2017_09_05_01_49_21372499_1732058997100121_3084754054400704512_n.jpg (1080x1080, 263K)

>there's nothing special about freesync, it's just an AMD marketing term for standard adaptive sync
While technically true, it should be noted that FreeSync preceded Adaptive-Sync, with the latter being the name it took on when adopted as a VESA standard.

AMD Freesync is literally what became adaptive sync. I wonder what's going to happen when nvidia gpus support the VESA standard that includes adaptive sync -- if they'll intentionally disable adaptive sync unless the monitor has a gsync module or not

They'll intentionally disable it to promote gsync obviously

Attached: cousins.jpg (1125x1244, 262K)

because your shit GPU is getting sub 60fps