/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 5toubun no Hanayome.png (1500x2124, 1.99M)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/Senior-Velvet-Replacement-Cushion-Ear-Pad-For-Sennheiser-HD545-HD565-HD600-HD650-Headphone-Silk-Light/32600756277.html
youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM
youtube.com/watch?v=x3fBy07bvfw
stereophile.com/reference/1106hot/index.html
audioxpress.com/article/current-driving-of-loudspeakers-book-review
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/65896076/#q65901784
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>hurr inb4 a picture of a cardboard box that nobody cares about

tubessssssssssss

fuck floor user

floor user is sleeping

Attached: photo_2018-05-18_18-08-09.jpg (1280x960, 149K)

First for ignore all stax posts

AHAHAHA

Attached: PCM-vs-DSD.svg.png (819x1024, 54K)

Take some of those hot bulbs he loves so much and shove them into his asshole.
Then break them inside.

Let me ask again, is there any recommended store where I can get HD600 replacement pads or do I have to buy them straight from Sennheiser for 60€?

What's that supposed to represent?

aliexpress

nothing, both are false representations

Yay of nay?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 18.23.02.png (1456x1350, 320K)

After reading the reviews, these look like the closest to the OEMs: aliexpress.com/item/Senior-Velvet-Replacement-Cushion-Ear-Pad-For-Sennheiser-HD545-HD565-HD600-HD650-Headphone-Silk-Light/32600756277.html

And are there any recommended shorter cables for the HD600? Or can I also order them from Aliexpress?

Get SHP 9500s if it's on sale for 70 euros or so. What is that K&M thing for?

>yeti
lmao

Sampling rate and bit depth of audio formats. They all try to accomplish the same thing, emulating smooth sine curves that make up real audio waves.

PCM usually samples 44.100 times per second and can store 16 bits of information for each sample, so a 16 digits long string of 0's and 1's, so you can approximate points on the curve at an accuracy of one 66536th. It's the established combination for CDs, regular lossless files and even compressed formats (that skip a lot of points to save data).

The more recent DSD standard first appeared on Super Audio CDs and samples 2.822.400 times a second in standard format, but can only store a 0 or 1 each time, making the information absolutely not look like a curve at all. In the end it stores more information per second than 44.1 kHz 16 bit formats, but even the age old 96 kHz 24 bit format common on audiophile downloads already outdoes it.

Attached: fig_02_02.png (955x362, 27K)

be REALLY FUCKING CAREFUL in general with aliexpress reviews, the entire site is mogged

looks okay, but really what you need to worry is if material velvet or pleather
pleather will mess sound
also memory foam is nice or so people say, if you stumble upon memory foam in velvet, link it here please

it's very cheap though, no problem with delivery at least to russia, USA mileage may vary

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into it.

Standard audio, which is encoded in PCM, and DSD, which is one-bit.

The picture is wrong here, just like the first one.

They will almost definitely make the sound worse. Pretty much every single other pad that fits the 600 does. They last for fucking ages. Just buy the real ones. Or try those first if you're willing to waste a bit of money.

>They last for fucking ages
2 years, tops, and your ears start hurting by the start of 2nd year. Senn pads suck.

>almost definitely make the sound worse
Every single pad made of other material, velvet pads shouldn't change anything.

>The picture is wrong here, just like the first one.
Explain yourself.

They will either be much thinner and to soft. Or just too hard with no play in them. Go on. Buy them and remember this post.

Connecting the mic to the boom arm.
They're bad?

youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM

>be much thinner and to soft
yea, because foam is so fucking expensive I need to pay x4 more for original pads
if anything chinese pads will be x2 thicker

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1523088652893.png (1280x720, 760K)

The second DSD graph actually goes below zero, which it should.
However, the zero-order hold is an intermediate step in conversion. When they are still digital, the data is a set of discrete points spaced apart by the sample rate. The points are turned into a staircase, which is the signal, quantization error, and images mirrored above the sampling frequency. The corners of the staircase are the images, high-frequency junk that is an inherent part of sampling.
Then, the low-pass reconstruction filter rejects the out-of-band images. This leaves behind a smoother looking waveform, the intended signal.

idol trash senpai, get dat stax + kannon end game

Attached: IMG_20180517_151141_DRO.jpg (5312x2988, 3.8M)

Impressions on the L300LE?

it sounds good

How is this model called?

Attached: 002.jpg (768x1152, 196K)

Once I solve the japan problem, I might go for SR-009S.

Attached: 1501780154913.png (1920x1080, 2.14M)

Softcore

I want something on the level of a dt770 with better bass, any recommendations?

No, seriously

Google image search gave me results.

anime was a mistake

Go ahead. Buy them.

what is 600s of closed headphones?
with open window all the time it's a little loud these days, and I do not want a change of sound by much

bitch better not touch my headphones with strawberry juice all over her hands.

Attached: 888jecklin.promo_.jpg (600x482, 38K)

Nay. Yeti is normally around 100€, and no pop filter is worth that kind of money. Try to get an interface like behringer umc202hd, a decent microphone (shouldn't be hard with 40 to 100€), and get decent headphones like dt770 rather than some bluetooth pair. You can go for 250ohm version with the behringer interface. It's overall more complex, but it's a lot more versatile.

Unless you somehow want to order both a microphone and wireless headphones without any relation between them, in which case ignore the part about dt770.

takstar pro 82's are bretty good

im sad and lonely will anyone be my friend

I was asking about headphones model, user

Attached: 009.jpg (768x1151, 98K)

not sold around here, which is weird, but they do not bring monoprice here either

It can be solved easily. Buy HD600.
Not only will you suddenly have a lot of friends; You won't need friends anymore!

How does OI affect headphone's THD+N?

Attached: 1521606573784.png (893x558, 937K)

It's a shitty headset. If you observe the other end of the cable, she has the RED connector (definitely the mic) going into some cellphone or DAP, while the green one is hanging.
Retarded.

>grain
Precious. Grain.
youtube.com/watch?v=x3fBy07bvfw

Attached: 1523455044472.png (1920x1080, 1.84M)

Yeah, i want to buy it. Give me the name

based on all the impressions I've read + makis as well, it looks like the estats aren't all that different and you're better off with L300 + xb1000 pads as people like it better than the L700. The buyers remorse would be nagging at my side if I were to blow that much on the 009S and I knew that. estats as a tech peaked awhile ago. I've seen some impressions of expensive stuff like the utopia where people said they couldn't enjoy them because they remembered the price tag every time they picked them up

Suppose I have some 6 digit € amount, and that these 4k€ STAX really do sound good. Would I not be alright?

explain this video to me please, all I see is stupid idol doing stupid idol things

cut the included cable shorter and terminate it with whatever plug you want

but muh non oxidized copper!

not true, you can tell the difference right away between the lower end lambdas and the 009, it's completely obvious. that's not to say the lower end ones aren't good, it's just the 009 really is a class above.

that said, the L700 and especially the L300LE are by far the best value buys.

the L300 LE and the 353X is 100% the best estat purchase you can do for the money, and maybe the best of any headphone + amp combo ever

You seem to be idol-unaware and full of prejudice.
I feel sorry for you, user.
All I can suggest is to watch Love Live as a soft, friendly introduction to idols. It's also considered a necessary experience in /hpg/, particularly if you haven't seen it and you just got new headphones.

Attached: 1515547318698.png (1920x1080, 2.16M)

sometimes I imagine if idols had a real music attached to them, what a wonderful world it would be

Question for you /hpg/:
I have a pair of DT-880s (600ohm) and I want to upgrade to a pair of Stax, but I'm not sure which model would be upgrade-worthy.
Any ideas?

You could say a lot of bad stuff about the music.
Like, about how it is (often) pure synth.
But... it definitely is music.

what's a good quality, cheap replacement cable for the hd600? the one included is too fucking long. i've seen cables for up to 600€ on ebay, which confirms my suspicions about audio autism. i'd be happy to spend less than 20€ for something that's good quality and just werks.

I don't know, the depreciation is crazy steep up there. The 009 can be had for ~$2.2k and 007 for $1.3k. You buy those kinds of flagships new and immediately lose 50% msrp
I was talking about the L300 + xb1000 pads not stock L300LE/L700. I also don't believe you, any differences are likely stock tuning that is EQable and not due to the tech. There shouldn't be anything magical about the 009/009S. The "tech" improvements stax made on the 009 -> 009S is laughable too.

where do you live? I highly recommend you go try and demo some stax first if you can.

>takstar pro 82
>beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
>Sony MDR-7506

what do I get? which gives you more bang for your buck?

>600€
give me a currency conversion

Let's say not new.
Alphavantage APIs will give you realtime currency values. There's a convenient python library for querying it. API's also free for personal use.

>Let's say not new.
Well, I personally wouldn't have issues with a $1-2k it's just you won't find the 009S used for half off for a long time.

Also, the SourceAV said stax is not going to uphold your warranty or do repairs if the item wasn't purchased in your host country. Someone imported a used 009 recently to the US that failed and stax won't repair it

>Word of warning when doing grey market and especially with Stax. Try to buy from your own region (If you are from Korea than feel free to ignore this).
>I had a guy who has an SR-009, got it second hand from a guy who originally got it from Japan. The left driver was going out and he asked us if we could help him get service. Stax basically was not willing to do service for him at all since he did not purchase it originally from USA. The guy is unfortunately stuck with it now and not able to get service.

this isn't exactly correct, it's just that stax themselves don't deal with warranties they do it through their distributors because they don't have the logistics required to track everything. they're too small of a company.

get either the x2hr, hd6xx or lcd2c

see sourceav quote

My version of 'solving the japan problem' is getting a job in Tokyo. I've been trying for a while.

Attached: 1509925630624.png (1280x720, 1.99M)

dude working in tokyo sucks, the hours are awful and the pay is so bad compared to other world cities

plus the discrimination gets old after a while

>ask about 3 closed headphones, get advised with 3 open headphones
thanks /hpg/ you never disappoint

Inserting a resistor in the signal path will increase noise.
As for the rest of what happens, it's a mix-up of issues such as the phase of the back current, the driver as a two-way transducer, excursion, thermal distortion, flux variation, and so on.
The convention is to go with low Zout, voltage amplifiers. There are cases to be made for current drive, very high Zout.

>Current drive experiment on thermal distortion
stereophile.com/reference/1106hot/index.html
>Current drive general effects
audioxpress.com/article/current-driving-of-loudspeakers-book-review

those 3 closed headphones are trash

get open headphones instead or get the oppo pm3

>discrimination gets old
I'd love to bully the hell out of some salary man japanese manlets.

Attached: 1507238972183.jpg (1024x716, 331K)

oppo pm3 is sick, its extra cool now that theyre no longer made too

I have a few friends who are already there. Some been for quite a few years.
It depends on the company. The shit ones are worth avoiding. Of course, once you actually do live and work in the city, it's far easier to find work, so worst case scenario I'd switch jobs.
Pic's for whoever user's been posting these and caused me to rewatch this stuff recently.

Attached: 1506482379541.png (1280x720, 1.47M)

>I've seen some impressions of expensive stuff like the utopia where people said they couldn't enjoy them because they remembered the price tag every time they picked them up
I know this feeling, it makes you feel stupid and like you're a sucker. I think this feeling is behind a lot of the weird posts on places like SBAF, because your brain goes to some strange places to cope with the emotions it gives you.

Canada, around Toronto.

>plus the discrimination gets old after a while

On what level though? do they think whites are intellectually inferior?

>do they think whites are intellectually inferior
most do, yes. they also think whites are culturally inferior, and you'll also hear a different side of history than you might have before. I remember going drinking and constantly hearing horrible things about the west. it really weighs on your soul to be so completely rejected. I think the expats who don't feel it tend to be the ones who just stick to hanging out with other expats & expat circles, which is most of them because getting outside of those circles can be nearly impossible.

oh I used to live in toronto. bay bloor radio has stax you can demo but the staff tend to not be that helpful and you might have a hard time depending on when you go and what you look like. headfoneshop is smaller and if it's quiet you should be able to demo some stax easy. no idea how current their inventory is these days though. planet of sound is another one that I remember meaning to go to but I never got a chance. heard they're good though.

Love the seinheisser cx180. Just $8.

Oh I love planet of sound, bought my turntable there. I just checked BB's site and they don't have any Stax listed (even though I remember seeing some there last time). I'll definitely check out Headfoneshop. Thanks man!

The higher end STAX have actual bass response for once.

yea for sure. take some pics if you go of headfone shop and post em here I'd love to see what that place is like these days its been a few years since I was there.

lmao so do lower end stax once you seal them.
yep, and this applies to the stax crowd too. it's like they ignore basic physics. gold plates on the 009 and rounded edges? do we need silver litzed cables too?

I definitely will.

Yeah, expected I guess. They do seem to have a nicer culture with more respect. How do they justify getting btfo by america though? A superior nation surely wouldn't let that happen. Maybe they play it down purely because of the difference in size.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/65896076/#q65901784

Is that the upcoming D50 combo amp/DAC in the background that recently got discussed here?

Attached: 1526095341925.jpg (1080x1440, 933K)

also, if you were curious why the omegas have would have bass response it's not hard to figure out. pic related is a clone of the 007. stators work not just by charging the plates. they work because the holes drilled into the stators create their own field which attracts the diaphragm to them. the 007 makes these holes more near the center instead of having the whole stator drilled. what this should do is pull the diaphragm more from the center like a dynamic as well as have less volume of air to move. the heavier diaphragm as well as not having as many holes is what makes them less efficient.

if you want omega bass just pull down the treble with EQ and up the bass. if you want more dynamic style bass just add some reverb/distortion to the lowend with DSP. there are plenty that can do that kind of thing. at the end of the day bass impact is just loudness + time.

Attached: img_2668.jpg (2048x1536, 1.09M)

ma900 is the comfy end gam

Attached: IMG_20180518_015741117.jpg (2080x1170, 747K)

oh wow you're right! so cool