Is Windows Rot a meme or not?

Is Windows Rot a meme or not?

Attached: windoge bad.png (1920x1080, 409K)

op is a faggot

faggot

The Windows machine I host all of my Linux virtual machines on still runs great!

You're a meme

you're the apple user not me

Witnessed
Checked and rekt

fpbp

GNU/Linux*

Bit of a meme on SSD. Still bad on spinning disk though. You can try it yourself. Install 1507 then upgrade to 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803 and see what state your PC is in after all that.

dll hell
you should reload every couple years, yes.

>Is Windows Rot a meme or not?
It absolutely is. Bought a Acer Swift 1 with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB eMMC disk this week. Opened it and verified that it had a M2 slot (most variants of this machine do but some don't) and ordered a 250 GB stick. Decided to hold off on installing GNU/Linux until it arrived and played a bit with the Wintoddler OS that came preinstalled. After hours and hours (it took quite a few hours) and many reboots it finally decided that there were no more Wintendo updates. At that point there was 14 GB of the "64 " (57 in Windows) GB total free space. I ran this disk cleaner thing and checked remove system shit and old wintendo installation and volla there was magically 38 of 57 GB free. 24 GB of who knows what in garbage files makes quite a bit of a difference when the disk is so small. I imagine you'll end up with quite a huge pile of nothing filling your disk if you use Wintendo over time.

When I hear windows rot that's not all that I think of. My windows installs have always, inevitably self destructed.

Twice on my thinkpad, refusing to boot.

about once per year on my desktop. Either refusing to boot, or generally being broken. Last time on my desktop nothing related to windows would start, like file explorer or the start menu.

Could it be fixed? Most likely. It's just faster reinstalling considering reinstalling is a 100% sure fix that takes ~30mins, then another 30 mins to get drivers and applications installed and I'm up and running.

That's the windows.old folder.

The Windows rot is definitely real. Everyone who I know who uses Windows has to reinstall Windows once every few years because of this.

*Linux

Since 7 yes, feature updates that go wrong and fuck up performance could be true

your disk is failing

Gnu/Linux/Windows

windows.old folder
>14 GB of the "64 " (57 in Windows) GB
you're a retard

it's real but good lord is it better than it used to be
probably because of the rollup scheme rather than tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of individual updates all overwriting each other

It's not. All the disks are still working 100% fine with no smart errors.

In my experience it was a thing back in the day, but as of wangblows 10 it seems to be fixed. I've been running the same installation since 10240, dirty installing every update, and my install is still fast as ever.

>Windows rot
what kind of faggot would even conciser this as a real thing? Oh right, the OP.

Rot for your windows file system is one thing. What long term use does to your brain is something else entirely...

Settings and configuration feels like it changes every other revision, in an inconsistent and haphazard manner. I learned very early on that "learning computers" on a windows system (1995) is essentially impossible, it's merely trying to sort out the location of that last missing check box or radio button for the current windows iteration, which may or may not do what it says. You constantly feel like Redmond is gaslighting you.

Learning != always running to stay ahead of the latest insanity.

Consequently, I never really "got" computers until I got into Linux.

Attached: 1520976227056.jpg (806x938, 337K)

Its real and anecdotally worse than ever in 10, but some friends have PC's that run just like they did when I set it up for them so.. who the fuck knows, just install linux.

This! M$DF has arrived! Remember that (((Windows))) is the best!

Windows 7 Install date, Feb 16th, 2017. Windows 7 still boots in 3 seconds.