Best JVM language? and why?

> Java
> Kotlin
> Scala
> Ceylon
> Clojure
> Groovy

Attached: Intrinsically-fast-more-JVM-performance-tinkering.png (500x400, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

joewing.net/projects/jwm/
github.com/mth/yeti
github.com/mmhelloworld/idris-jvm
circleci.com/blog/why-were-no-longer-using-core-typed/).
github.com/groovy/groovy-core/blob/master/src/main/org/codehaus/groovy/runtime/ArrayUtil.java
twitter.com/AnonBabble

JVM is shit

Scala. No doubt about it

Clojure > Scala > Java > everything else

You'd probably wanna use Java anyways. Sometimes you're stuck with a language even if there are nicer alternatives, that's why stuff like C++ is still so popular. Java is by far the most relevant programming language for the JVM.

>Groovy
Absolutely haram.

urgh i need to learn kotlin for my job, what am i in for?

Attached: seven_samurai.jpg (497x373, 27K)

joewing.net/projects/jwm/
JWM uses XML!

Clojure.
>it's Lisp
>with actual libraries

Why would anyone want to target the JVM? I get that it's portable or whatever, but it just doesn't make sense to me. With C++ you get a language which is faster, equally portable and more powerful.

I guess this time NOTHING can stop functional languages to take over the world, right? Since they are SO MUCH BETTER I guess Clojure is BOUND to become the HIGHEST TRENDING on stackoverflow.

POO

Java

I don't see any functional language OS's yet

Scala > Kotlin > Java > that other hipster shit
I just wast a little more pattern matching in Kotlin

guys, what do people use those languages for? is it mostly some dumb shit for phones?

fpbp

Java requires less skill, less likely for pajeets to make bugs and do stupid shit with the memory.

>functional programming
>ever expecting to take on stackovermeme filled with pajeets and students

> Some implementations can get faster than C++
> Run everywhere with minimal effort
> One of greatest range of libraries and languages
> Amazing set of profiling and optimizations never found in any VM
> muuuh it's shut

Attached: d02xAE6.jpg (227x250, 4K)

You really think functional programming isn't the hottest meme for college students ,

OOP too unintuitive I feel too abstracted away and I can't do anything

github.com/mth/yeti
serious answer

>github.com/mth/yeti

Very interesting
Thank you, user.

Use Kotlin or Scala then.
Both are multiparadigm langs

download the pirate course kotlin for java developers if you already know java, it's basically the same shit but with other syntax

Clojure > *

Idris.

>OOP too unintuitive
JVM is not Java. JVM doesn't demand OOP. See previous reply ^

Less shitty Java. Not much, but it's something.
Yes. See: Mainstream JavaScript ecosystem. Most of it is a joke by functional programmers played on pajeets that don't even know they're being led to code a shitty imitation of Lisp code.

>>JVM
>OOP too unintuitive
the absolute state of Jow Forums.

> OOP too unintuitive

lel

Attached: 6bd2b9cf7f1b593a8f66f04640f5b0e205660ab24883b6e4ce080841b9158466.jpg (364x322, 53K)

To be fair, OOP is intuitive in theory and useful only sporadically in real world software; being an inferior fit to functional or procedural in all other cases (thus being unintuitive).
See pic related.

Attached: what oop users claim.png (1948x858, 152K)

As a concept it's concrete, but everyone has their own special snowflake
In comparison, once you get over the first hurdle in functional programming, most FP makes sense.

I know Haskell, should I learn Scala or Clojure for a JVM functional language.

Clojure

>modernized lisp
>immutable by default
>high performance
>great for concurrency
>fraction types by default

a pleasant experience, desu

Attached: kotlin.jpg (521x800, 247K)

functional programming is a meme

Brainlet

Java, it still is the fastest on it.
I dont give a shit about verbosity, I want safe performance, the closer to c/c++ the better

Access to a wide range of libraries is a plus too.
Things I worked on with Java so far:
Big data analytics for an ad bidding system
Pattern recognition machine learning for an IDS
Predictive Maintenance System based on sensor data
Various web apps
A Digital Signage player (rapsberry pi) + backend

Java is easy to use, but powerful.

> Modelling your problem domain in object oriented notation
> Modelling the whole system in object oriented notation

There's a difference, user.

Scala and clojure have the same or better performance. They can also use the same libraries as Java. That's the point of being a jvm language.

Thus why I said
>and useful only sporadically in real world software
It seems we're in violent agreement.

MirageOS is written in OCaml.

Idris isn't a JVM language, retard. It's compiled with a haskell compiler.

a) The compiler is written in Haskell, but it doesn't compile to Haskell.
b) github.com/mmhelloworld/idris-jvm

t. pajeet
Clojure, just keep in mind that it's a lisp, while haskell is lazy-eval ml.

I never said that, you faggot. I said that it's compiled using a haskell compiler. I contribute to idris, suck my dick.

>not a JVM language although it compiles to JVM
>somehow the compiler being written in Haskell is a justification for it not being a JVM language
>I n-n-never said that
Take a look at the faggot and laugh. You get cocky spewing bullshit and have to double down because you're deathly afraid of being thought of as a retard.

Chortling Larry Ellison's balls and then getting sued by Oracle when you violate your NDA for talking about it, and then getting sued by Oracle again for chortling in the first place, which is an action defined in an API that was developed as patented IP at Sun Microsystems and acquired for litigation purposes by Oracle.

>what is openjdk?

Some more obscure ones:

Eta, Haskell for the JVM.

Ruby, you can write comfy Ruby code that will interop perfectly and easily with any java code with jruby and truffleruby.

A chortle is a kind of laugh. How can you laugh someone's balls?

Both. Clojure takes far less time to learn and puts greater emphasis on lazy data structures. Sadly, though, it is naturally untyped and core.typed has problems (circleci.com/blog/why-were-no-longer-using-core-typed/). Scala, on the other hand, is a kitchen sink language bloated with unnecessary features, but it is more or less the only practical alternative to Haskell with HKT.

Speaking of Groovy...
github.com/groovy/groovy-core/blob/master/src/main/org/codehaus/groovy/runtime/ArrayUtil.java

People just spout memes that previous retards have posted, meanwhile they usually have no programming experience

holy shit that code

>babby sees auto-generated code for the first time
hello reddo

its just disgusting really, if only there was a better way to do that

no, it's a beautiful optimization
>The number of needed instructions is thus reduced from 15 to 4. For every entry we save 3 bytecode instructions.

In that sense its pretty great, but it even admits it looks ugly. Also, whats the reasoning for stopping at 249? Are they just assuming if you need more than that you're just an asshole or what

Attached: Thread_Necromancer.jpg (375x523, 44K)

this class is only used internally

Came here to post this.

the JVM is the best piece of software ever written

Pajeet

Best post

There's no need to generate code with external tools, use macros. If your language doesn't support it then you should drop that language.
It is dealing with language's limitations, not optimization. And it's fucking ugly, you can't deny that.