Damn sometimes I hate my job and I just want to vent on here

Damn sometimes I hate my job and I just want to vent on here...

New project.
Management gets angry at me for not using the other project managers to do things for me like get information from the vendors, teams, and clients.

What I don't understand is why as a qualified engineer I can't just discuss requirements and projects with other engineers but have to work with project managers who have people skills but couldn't understand a single question I have for other engineers....

Am I wrong here? Why can't I work with engineers directly

Tldr.
Project managers are mad since I'm an engineer and I kind of only want to work with other engineers to get work done. The PM team can't really help me with what I need since they're paper pushers...

Attached: images(2).jpg (217x232, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n3Sle_o1bcs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Business and user requirement != technical requirements

PMs should be in charge of the former. I dont think you understand what they do and how you're supposed to work with them

You obviously work at a place where PM's are desperate to justify their own positions.

I agree with you OP, it's bullshit, and I would probably leave that place if I were you.

I understand what they're supposed to do.

I fucking can't stand explaining something to them since they don't understand technology!!!!!

Also, I get it I'm wrong right? Jesus I can't even have an engineering discussion with another company without some fucking project manager on the call to cuck me?

Is this an American company OP? They are obsessed with following the proper chain of command.

The PM is there to gather information and follow up with x company to make sure they're giving you what you need. And also to make sure you're not being a retarded sperg towards third parties. You just need to get used to it. If it's internal then the PM shouldn't even have to know about your meetings unless it's a change from the requirements that were previously set out

I understand about the chain of command.

The thing is I'm not a cuck, If I need information about a project from another company why can't I reach out to the client directly. They know me and they know I'm the one who is going to make it work but they want to work with management?

Attached: 1526633716277.png (406x452, 30K)

Bro. I understand

I know I'm supposed to use them but they literally shit on me.

They act like they can find 100 engineers to so this job and I don't matter at all to the projects.

Kek.
Without me they have nothing.
They are like because they sell products they're better than me

Attached: 1526641912604.jpg (322x279, 50K)

>why can't I reach out to the client directly
PM/management will usually deal with politics (==lying) better

>If I need information about a project from another company why can't I reach out to the client directly
Because your autism might show and you might inadvertently expose intellectual property your company rely on, or violate some other NDA your company has agreed on with another company again.

You seem like a retard.

PMs are worthless. What the fuck do they do anyway? Most I talk to have never seen a line of code let alone even know what the business does. Why do these middlemen exist anyway

Sounds like a shit PM. I got to PM after 15 years on the job as an engineer. I know my shit. Nobody thinks twice about contacting me first and I don't mind if the engineers call clients either. They pay me to make sure things go off without a hitch, not to babysit engineers and clients demanding they play Simon Says every time a question comes up.

That said, if your PM is incompetent you need to let management know and document it so they will get off your balls. Just giving him the end-run without any hint of why leaves him room to bullshit and complain which reflects poorly on you. Don't be his fall guy.

Thanks

I'm actually not worried about this and the only reason I bring it up is because I got on a call with that team and they literally said we've been working on this deal for months.

I know they have and I know how important sales people are but are they really going to talk over me act like I don't matter since I'm only some slave who works on code....

Like seriously, I get it but sometimes I just need to have a one on one engineering discussion without PMs in the room who take excellent notes but they're the ones who even see how were going to have the code flow...

Let me be clear. I understand what they do and why they do it but I have to be honest again. I don't feel comfortable by having a project manager give me info from the client and I'm not even included in the discussion..

Like they ask me what questions I have and than they ask the other people...like why can't I speak for myself?

Attached: 1526679163369.png (412x351, 78K)

>Management gets angry at me for not using the other project managers

call them when you want a coffee

tell them they are scrum masters now, then they need to massage your feet too.

>Like they ask me what questions I have and than they ask the other people...like why can't I speak for myself?
Where is the problem? Do what people told you to do and it's OK.

You're missing the point.

The upper managers want to treat engineers like we need this barrier between customers and engineers. We really don't.

I have a question to the other people on the meeting and I should be free to speak freely.

I don't need someone else to be my puppet..

Attached: 1526683755165.png (1070x601, 463K)

>barrier between customers and engineers

Yes. That is exactly what competent companies do and need.

Dont expect everything to always make perfect sense; because you're not in the position to make that call

So do they do this because everyone thinks tech people are some anti social hackers?

Attached: images.jpg (226x223, 8K)

I think you're right. People saying that "hurr durr you don't understand the role of HR and managers" just makes me want to drop out of university and try to get disability pay for autism or something

Don't agree with me right off the bat...

The anons above are actually correct and I understand the need for this, the thing that is getting to me is inconsistency with project managers. Some project managers don't do shit (some women, I've worked with) and some other project managers (mostly men) go above and beyond to help me. Even some TAMs go above and beyond to help me out (men) and they're actually skilled to the same level as I am but they became TAMs instead of just software engineers..

I think i know where my problem is. I kind of have to work with these people and I do know why, sometimes it just kind of sucks to be treated like you're just another cog in the machine meanwhile sales and management get all the credit....

youtube.com/watch?v=n3Sle_o1bcs

I disagree with you as well then. I don't really have what it takes to be a cog in a machine like that, those people are almost always miserable. But I have never met a guy who didn't have a big smile on his face when staying home and masturbating to anime girls

Attached: stayhome.jpg (1500x760, 586K)