Why Gentoo?

Why should I use Gentoo instead of Debian or freeBSD?

Attached: gentoo-512.png (512x512, 29K)

Why should you use anything else but Windows 7? I know the answer is autism but I'm just curious.

Because some people use their PC for work rather than games

>instead of Debian
no systemd
>instead of freeBSD
no feminist biased ToS

You shoudn't

Install Void from chroot.

Some people like to have a system that functions too. Nearly half the PC userbase actually.

That is not a reason to use Windows whatever version. Linux works too, so does FreeBSD.

>Linux doesn't work
My grandparents and my mother uses Linux, they never have problems only that one time when I had to install CUPS to make a printer work.

Attached: braindead.jpg (645x773, 56K)

>Windows has a large userbase because people like to use it
It comes preinstalled on the majority of computers, and people are lazy. Cheaper for businesses too when they don't have to toss the tech team around flashing Linux. Most people actually end up enjoying Linux more for what they need to do.
Holy shit this. The only thing Linux has difficulty with is games. Everything else is just the same problem you'd likely have with any other operating system.

Ubuntu Budgie is all you need.

FreeBSD is deprecated. Debian or OpenBSD are fine.

OP here! So, if I understand U guys, Gentoo && Debian are quite similar exept for the systemd question... But in terms of usability... is there any issues? I mean, I'm using linux at work and the only important thing is the ssh config file...

You really, really shouldn't. It's a waste of time.
At first you might like it because you can customize it. It's exactly what you want. And then it starts to become a pain in the ass and you wish you made the sane decision, to use something like Ubuntu where everything just fucking works.

Install Gentoo

Wrong

You shouldn't. Go back to your cuck OS and stay there.

Deprecated

For what?
It's still the only of its kind and pretty great.

You should spend time learning about and testing each to come to an educated opinion on what is best for your needs.

Ignoring the Recent News, pal?

Attached: smug anime.png (720x540, 336K)

If you're still using Windows 7, you either have autism or you're a boomer who doesn't know how to upgrade to Windows 10.

>windows10
>stability

Pick one

shut the fuck up tranny boii

cmd to term... Window$ sucks

You can play games on Gentoo

lol okay retard

Yes?

It's still being maintained. Xbps is feature complete as well.

>small as fuck repos

>Debian
Systemd + glibc being mandatory for one. Debian also patches everything to a ridiculous degree and their packages often do more than they should. e.g. installing openssh-server starts up a fucking ssh server.
>freeBSD
freeBSD has shitty security. I don't think they even have ASLR yet. software availability is a lot worse than gentoo as well.
openbsd > freebsd

Install to find out

you can't go wrong with ubuntu

preposterous

Debian is shit

install devuan

Dead arch support

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-19_00-24-03.png (633x305, 4K)

Hey! OP on keyboard! Why should I be a Devian u$er user? Some people says "cuck OS" ; Ubuntu ... U mean those people who deals with amazon...

Being against systemd in the current year is just stupid.

>Gentoo && Debian are quite similar exept for the systemd question
No they’re not similar at all.

>finally finish configuring kernel
>compile
>get a vague error with no google results

Attached: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.jpg (455x532, 155K)

Tell me more user! U seems to know wut U are talking about!

t. gen Z poster

w7 can do everything w10 can do, without the spyware. Gaymers will probably have to switch to w10 in the future as there will be less and less drivers supporting w7, but that's still several years away

Yep! But i'm not a gamer!

git gud

Debian compiles its packages with a lot of features enabled and comes in a usable state, with a friendly installer.
Gentoo is do-it-yourself, and requires you to compile and configure your whole system. It's made for people who want to fine-tune their computer perfectly to their wishes and who have the resources (time) to compile everything. It’s a pain in the ass.

install gentoo

then you're a pleb

fuck off Pottering, nobody likes your shitty meme software

They do though.

Thanx user! (OP)

it's not a waste of time at all. Once you get basic USE flags set up for your system most things will just use those. For any large programs you can compile over night but very few take longer than a couple of hours on a 1/2 decent system.

forcing people to use shit and them choosing to use it are two different things

>Debian
For noobs.
>freeBSD
Is dead

It’s not a waste of time for you, perhaps. I prefer a system where I only build when the binary options are insufficient.

And, if I want to install && connect windows systems by rdp && his security hole, if I am on gentoo, do I need to do somephing by hand (réinstall whole system) just do a pkg upgrade... is there any pkg managers on Gentoo?

Gentoo uses Portage, probably the best package manager around today.

If you don't know why, Gentoo is not for you.

After using gentoo on a small development server I set up, I'm seriously considering using it on my home computer. Portage and it's tools are really nice to use, I've never seen a package manager display a wealth of information so nicely.

>have the resources (time) to compile everything
Time? The computer handles the compiling work. Your participation is generally limited to telling it to start.

>Instead of Debian
Easier to setup.

>Instead of FreeBSD
Better hardware support.

With U user!

You should be using Debian though

Is your time is worthless go with gentoo, is you have a life, goals, and important shit to do besides messing with your os, go with Debian.

If*, If*
fuck typo.

>The computer handles the compiling work. Your participation is generally limited to telling it to start.
Are you retarded or willfully obtuse?

>freeBSD
*hugs*

t. person who has never used Gentoo
t. person who uses hardware from 2005

>FreeBSD
enjoying your aslr, cuck?

Attached: freebsd coc.jpg (812x686, 150K)

Stop doing that. It is not funny for us.

>without the spyware

No, actually following them, so I know that it's still maintained same as the past year.

Repos are the same as Arch. Except they have useful apps like studio and Firefox esr.

that is some shit tier meme right there

OP here! Debian && alta la basta! Thanx all! You gave me more than I expected from you!

> OP here! Debian && alta la basta! Thanx all! You gave me more than I expected from you!

Considering the state of this thread that’s quite an indictment of the expectation you had.