So whatever happened to this shit?

So whatever happened to this shit?

Attached: project-ara-theverge-2_1020.0.jpg (920x613, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UniPro#Multiple_applications
theverge.com/2016/9/2/12775922/google-project-ara-modular-phone-suspended-confirm
youtube.com/watch?v=oDAw7vW7H0c
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/fairphone-2-hands-on-modular-phones-are-finally-here/
fairphone.com/en/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

laws of physics

Management finally understood the extent of the obvious and massive engineering issues something like that presents. There's a reason why the underlying tech (called UniPro) was never used in a commercial product despite being the product of a collaboration between companies like Nokia (when they were still the world's #1 phone maker), Qualcomm, Texas Instruments, Intel, Nvidia, Samsung, ST Microelectronics and Toshiba.

you must be 18+ to post here

making every thing into a small modular thing makes the total thing be much larger and gives no space for battery

idea was dead on conception.

they sold it to Motorola

What am I looking at here?

modular smartphone

It was a great idea that would have been a disaster. Lenovo actually made it happen with the Moto Z line.

>drop phone
>modules fly everywhere

It's a terrible idea.

They realized it might destroy the planned obsolescence model they have in place.

I remember Jow Forums going nuts for this, and honestly it seemed like a really interesting device. However, not practical at all, or at least in comparison to other phones.

what a shame

>There's a reason why the underlying tech (called UniPro) was never used in a commercial product despite
This one here?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UniPro#Multiple_applications

Looks like the 2nd version of DSI uses it which I believe is used in commercial products.

Here is the article.
Your welcome.

>theverge.com/2016/9/2/12775922/google-project-ara-modular-phone-suspended-confirm

You remember wrong, Jow Forums
>Jow Forums is one person
always said this was dumb as rocks. The idea is good, but it's unpractical. It would require a standardization, raise costs (when compared to a mass produced design) and lower build quality by a lot.

>raise costs (when compared to a mass produced design)
Wouldn't it lower costs because a person wouldn't need a phone with features they don't want? Like you could mix and match a 4k display with a 480p camera.

Attached: 1495147543587.png (472x508, 6K)

bump :^)

Lego sued them for copyright laws

If the idea caught on, it would have revolutionized the market: the focus of production would be on components and not an all-in-one system.
It didn't catch on.

>drop phone
>modules fly everywhere
>phone isn't broken
>can safely reassemble and continue using

Last interview I saw about this said something along the lines of
>Users expect every function to be there, be good and be reliable so a modular phone has very little space on the market

>pieces slide away and down crevices not even a normal phone could

This phone style would not work well without some sort of shell or case, or they would have to physically secure modules somehow

A shell/case is such a basic solution that I'm not even sure why you brought up losing the modules as an issue

Great idea for tablets not so much for phones

Some people dont like cases, myself included.

All promo shots of this phone show the modles doubling as the outside of the phone, which presents the problem.

If you integrated a shell system you would likely lose usable space for modules or just enlarge the phone, which isnt inherently bad, but is not what is being presented in the OP

Same thing that happened to modular computers: people are too stupid to upgrade that shit.

You really expect your ignorant co-worker to put in the correct camera module or ram module or whatever? These people literally cannot read what is on the screen in front of them.

still fighting over who came up with that idea first

A case for this phone would just be considered another module.

>when some retard designer gets enough traction on social media so your company has to respond

youtube.com/watch?v=oDAw7vW7H0c

>eVeRyThInG Is jUsT A BuIlDiNg bLoCk

Attached: design genius.png (641x729, 33K)

Attached: 1414691849457.webm (400x226, 505K)

damn shame, this is pretty cool

heh normies are so stupid

They removed the sole appealing points of this crap and when they did they realized there doesn't exist enough stuff to fit more than, like, 2 modules.

Meme from 4 years ago. Welcome to Jow Forums newfag child loser faggot

It fell apart.

fpbp

But since most of Jow Forums lacks the knowledge of entry level high school physics these threads will keep popping up.

Hello, which laws of physics in particular?
If you just say N2L I'll glass you

You really just need some common sense.
A modular device will inevitably be bigger and heavier, which is a big negative for something like a phone.
It will also be less power efficient due to the design limits of how parts are connected.

Space inefficiency is the main one, though. Take apart a neatly engineered phone and you'll realize just how much space you'd have to waste to achieve the same performance on a modular phone like in OP.
Not to mention the fact that the "motherboard" and frame are fixed which means you're stuck with an old part and don't get the benefits of the latest tech advancements. inb4 you can replace everything.. yeah well then you might as well just get a new phone.
It's retarded on so many levels.

I wasn't taught this in high school

>eVeRyThInG Is jUsT A BuIlDiNg bLoCk
gb2tumblr

cellphones feel like shit in the and as they are to thin as it stands.

The modular design, so long as it focused on compatibility, would allow me to put a new cpu in that may handle a ne codec that's used, rather then shit itself nessassateing a 500+ replacement

also, it would possibly allow for easy data recovery at least potentially.

>So whatever happened to this shit?
It was shit, so they wiped their arses and flushed it down the bog

That design is not profitable, you cant sell a whole new phone because of a module breaking or becoming outdated.

>american education
Yo realise 13 year old kids make phones in china right? Thia is not rocket science.

desu I didn't make phones in china when I was 13

>"HAS ANYONE SEEN MY LTE?"
>HEY DON'T STEP ON THAT NOOOO"!

I have serious doubts about you having ever taken a physics class, let alone passed one. Nothing you said btw relates to physical limitations.

> less power effecient due to the design limits of how parts are connected

How do you think parts are connected normally? What aspect of using pogo pins and pads over just copper traces on a single board makes them less power effecient?

>Space inefficiency
Have you ever taken apart a phone? Do you know what component uses the most space, >60 percent? Most phones already use ribbon cables to attach the battery, camera, display, USB, etc. to the mainboard. Most components are already highly modularized for purposes of repair or assembly. There would be no difference here for those. Certain module slots however would need to be dedicated to say, memory and SOC to ensure consistent connection, or they would share a module.

>motherboard and frame are fixed
This motherboard is nothing like that of a desktop computer, it's only functionality would be to link all modules on a single BUS. The components on board would be limited to caps, resistors, etc.

These are the same reddit-tier retard arguments I heard the first time this was announced, nobody had any idea what the fuck they were talking about. The only reason this ISNT out is because only a small group of people want ugly phones and an even smaller group want modular phones. The market is insignificant.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/fairphone-2-hands-on-modular-phones-are-finally-here/

fairphone.com/en/

Attached: fairphone-18-980x652.jpg (980x652, 150K)

Considering the most that's feasible to upgrade on a custom built PC without starting a completely new build is MAYBE a GPU and some RAM, and that's if you skimped when you first put it together, it's safe to say that paying a premium for this is absolutely stupid.