Lubuntu finally switching to LXQt in 18.10 (RIP Xubuntu and Ubuntu)

>After working on Lubuntu-Next for a while in transitioning from the GTK-based LXDE desktop environment to the modern and maintained LXQt desktop environment that is powered by Qt5, the Lubuntu 18.10 will be the release that officially moves over to the LXQt desktop and pushes out LXDE.

>Walter Lapchynski of the Lubuntu project has confirmed that for the Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" cycle they are switching to LXQt for good.

>LXQt was born out of a merger of the LXDE and Razor-qt projects after the lead LXDE developer had a falling out with GTK3 five years ago. Those wishing to learn more about LXQt can do so at LXQt.org. Some of their upcoming plans are outlined on the LXQt road-map.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Lubuntu-18.10-LXQt

community.ubuntu.com/t/new-lubuntu/5997

Xubuntu is pretty much kill. Xubuntu has completely stagnated in the past few years and have nothing new coming up but more of the same shit. Everybody will be dropping Xubuntu (and Xfeces in general) for LXQt, MATE and Budgie. The rest will stick to KDE Plasma.

When 18.10 hits, Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Kubuntu and Ubuntu Budgie are the only flavors/DE that are moving Linux forward.

Fuck you, Xfeces.

Attached: flat,800x800,070,f.jpg (800x800, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.softpedia.com/news/hands-on-with-first-lubuntu-18-10-build-featuring-the-lxqt-desktop-by-default-521200.shtml
lubuntu.me/this-week-in-lubuntu-development-5/
lubuntu.me/downloads/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/text/xfeces/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Softpedia went hands on with the first build of LXQt-powered Lubuntu aka Lubuntu-Next.

news.softpedia.com/news/hands-on-with-first-lubuntu-18-10-build-featuring-the-lxqt-desktop-by-default-521200.shtml

About damn time.

They've been saying this since 16.04, I don't believe any of their lies
The team has gone full GNOME too, reasoning that they upped the requirements from 1 GB of RAM to 2 GB because "computers have evolved"
Run AntiX for easy lightweight GNU/Linux, MX Linux for midweight machines and Devuan if you want Debian
They won't deliver, they're the same CIA niggers that push GNOME as the """""" standard """""" Linux desktop
They coopted Razor-qt to destroy Qt on lightweight machines, turning it into a monstrosity almost as heavy as KDE despite lacking all the features

I'm glad to see more previously GTK based projects switching away from GTK. I hope GTK will die out eventually.

>I hope GTK will die out eventually.

This and I hope it takes Xfeces with it.

>The team has gone full GNOME too, reasoning that they upped the requirements from 1 GB of RAM to 2 GB because "computers have evolved"
I'm glad my old computers are finally growing more ram. Took them long enough.

>that they upped the requirements from 1 GB of RAM to 2 GB because "computers have evolved"

I only see that they went from 512mb to 1GB.

>support a literal Marxist
How about fuck you

>Some people may have noticed that in the release announcement for 18.04, we bumped the system requirements to 1 GB of RAM at minimum

lubuntu.me/this-week-in-lubuntu-development-5/

You're wrong. It's not 2GB.

Good riddance, GTK is trash.

Check OS+Web requirements
Still, 1 GB of RAM is enough to run KDE/MATE/XFCE
Then use Devuan, the AntiX team might be lead by a literal Marxist but they key their ground on systemD, have their own kernel config and different kernels for old machines and actually works on older computers
They also avoid Pulseaudio and other Lennart faggotry

Now only if Linux wasn't trash. Yeah, yeah, the source is included. Now include drivers that run optimally...

Go fuck yourself. Xfce and Xubuntu are awesome and no one cares or uses lubuntu

Attached: xfce_cozy.png (408x368, 96K)

>Devuan
Is that still being maintained? If you want sysvinit use PCLOS, but honestly people should be using slackware or slack forks

lubuntu ahs the shittyiest team of all buntus, they stuck with 16.04.2 right until 18.04, that says a lot about how much work they put in it. Xubuntu on the other hand kept releases on time no matter what.

Ironically some turds say xfce is ded

This.
/thread

>Xfce and Xubuntu are awesome and no one cares or uses lubuntu

Xfeces has been losing users since MATE, Budgie and Cinnamon have made great strides in a modern desktop that isn't GNOME3.

Literally the only reason anybody used Xfeces is because there were very few stable Gnome3 alternatives.

By Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, you will see Xfeces userbase drop big time in favor of MATE, LXQt, KDE Plasma and Budgie.

You sound really butthurt

>lubuntu ahs the shittyiest team of all buntus, they stuck with 16.04.2 right until 18.04

Because they were putting their work toward Lubuntu Next aka LXQt Lubuntu.

You can't move your entire distro spin to a entirely new DE fork while keeping people working on the dead LXDE.

More like lamebuntu

>Literally the only reason anybody used Xfeces is because there were very few stable Gnome3 alternatives.
This is 100% true. That was the main reason Jow Forums shilled it years ago. It was all because of Gnome3.

Your Xfeces is dead. Deal with it. Move to a real Qt desktop already.

>light weight
>modular
>customizeable
>somehow bad
Nigga stop huffing paint

>Because they were putting their work toward Lubuntu Next aka LXQt Lubuntu

...and still they didn't make it in time for 18.04, gonna have to wait until 2020 for a proper LXQt implementation.

I've used Xfce for over 10 years without any issues. I'd rather eat paint chips out of your ass than use lamebuntu

Attached: xubuntu.png (600x500, 35K)

The only people who use Xfeces are NEETs who need to revive their mom's old laptop so they can shitpost.

Xfeces would be nowhere if Gnome3 didn't cause everybody in the Linux community to run away from it.

Keep telling yourself that sweetie. I have a 6 figure job and run Xubuntu on my librebooted X200

>I've used Xfce for over 10 years without any issues.

Xfeces is dead in the water. Even your fellow Xfeces users will be asking you why you haven't moved to LXQt or Budgie or KDE Plasma in 2020.

LXQT is buggy as fuck

Indeed, it also freezes a lot

>lubuntu
are you fucking retard?, just use ubuntu minimal.

That's not what softpedia said

>We took the first Lubuntu 18.10 daily build with LXQt for a test drive, and we have to say that we're impressed. It's so good that it could be released to the masses tomorrow. Of course, this is because of Lubuntu Next and the rigorous testing the Lubuntu team did over the past several years.

But yeah I'm going to believe you over them.

I actually did this 2 weeks ago.

While resourace usage did rise, it's still a drop in the bucket on my machine.

I'd still use XFCE on a laptop, though.

The point is that Xfeces had 22 years to get to where it is while LXQt is going to be in good enough shape by 2020 to make you consider switching.

"minimal"

>Lubuntu using LXQt
>Budgie migrating to Qt
>Xfce migrating to Qt
>Transmission deprecating the gtk version

is this the year of Qt?

>Xfce migrating to Qt

hahahahahahaha you wish

>all of marxism is bad

>Xfce and Xubuntu are awesome
maybe in 2008

>implying it isnt

Attached: um_sneedy.jpg (285x288, 44K)

but it is user. Just like everything nazi is bad

mini.iso is even more minimal than the Debian netinstaller

nobody cares about that

Does LXQT still screen tear all over the place? What a piece of shit

>Does LXQT still screen tear all over the place?

you mean like Xfeces still does by default after 22 years?

Xfce is the only DE on Linux that is mature. Every other DE is in a perpetual beta buggy bloat bullshit stage. No thanks.

I tried Lubuntu Next on a removable drive, and it installed the bootloader on my main drive instead of the target drive. And X was throwing errors on every boot. Fun stuff.
Between that, their slow release cycle and their missing documentation bullshit over the last year I'm going to stay way the fuck away from these people and their software.

>Xfeces
opinion discarded.

both xubuntu and lubuntu are great. who gives a shit about what you use. you shouldn't give a shit about what i use either.

pls fuck off

irrelevant until kwin can into wayland

>to the modern and maintained LXQt
F A L S E
A
L
S
E

LXDE is still maintained

WTF r you spewing you braindead mong

LXDE is headed by a taiwanese MD
NOT GNOME faglords
also Lubuntu is a one man job /for the most part/

>They coopted Razor-qt to destroy Qt on lightweight machines, turning it into a monstrosity almost as heavy as KDE despite lacking all the features
Do you distinct between a DE and a distro? Are you implying a DE is responsible for jobs ran by your distro? Are you stupid?

enjoy your lack of ANY thumbnail in the file chooser

>they stuck with 16.04.2
>Version 16.04.4 LTS
lubuntu.me/downloads/
why do you lie

>on the dead LXDE.
LXDE is NOT dead

>all those ubuntu/debian plebs arguing about how broken their still unreleased version of a DE is while patrician distros have had it work since ever

oh
>and actually believing ubuntu or debian is a showcase for anything
>especially a new DE

>ubuntu minimal.
>mini.iso
The worst thing you can do to yourself. Never install Debian and Ubuntu blindly without testing. Plus the installer can easily fail at the end (after the install) because reasons. But keep on recommending that pile of shit that is Debian.

>and it installed the bootloader on my main drive instead of the target drive
that's a debian trademark

Xubuntu is stuck in 2002.

Let it die already.

I've seen this meme of hating Xfce lately and I don't understand it. What it there that it can't do that other lightweight DEs can? After trying a few of them I found Xfce more complete and easier to configure. I liked its simplicity over KDE and Cinnamon, too.

Eh, I already dropped XFCE because LXDE exists. It works fine and is a lot more configurable than LXQt

They are both made by the same guy so they will become just as configurable.

i run lxqt on my fedora machine, and i have to tell you that it is incredibly far away from being a complete, usable DE - ubuntu/lubuntu antic and packaging aside
the configuration menus and panel are unmitigated disasters, offering zero customizability/theming or else buggy (inconsistent/broken themes)
whats more is it even has shitty or nonexistend support for eg dimming backlights and mouse/trackpad settings compared to lxde/xfce/gnome.

It's the Gnome shills

it even tears with compton.
it consistently leaves videos with a tear like picrel between sucessive frames

Attached: tear.png (160x90, 521)

>hurr durr it runs gud on my mom's old laptop! hurr durr it was shilled to me by Jow Forums and its gud at ricing. I like ricing cuz its kewl

That's what you mean.

>thought I'd check xubuntu out again after forgetting it for years
>install 18.04
>still has screen tearing OOTB
It deserves to die.

Attached: 1513377922309.jpg (620x670, 93K)

When I tried LXDE it has about the same ram usage (~200MiB) with a lot less features.. Don't see the point, minus well use openbox by itself.

>What it there that it can't do that other lightweight DEs can?
Absolutely nothing. LXDE is pointless when XFCE is so lightweight while having more features, and LXQt is unstable, maybe it will be usable by 2020.

These are memes, not arguments. Unless you provide actual arguments why XFCE is bad, I'll just have to go with what these anons are saying

But MATE turned to shit when they ported it to GTK3.

>XFCE is so lightweight while having more features

What features? It can't even match MATE, much less Gnome or KDE.

All you fags care about is ricing.

>MATE turned to shit when they ported it to GTK3.

Xfeces is also going to shit during it's GTK3 port, but at least MATE is actually developing faster and can be a true desktop when it becomes more stable while Xfeces is stagnant with less features than MATE.

You're wrong but I'm too lazy to type out why.

Why is GTK bad?
Why is Qt good?

Attached: 1439615921516.jpg (720x960, 139K)

>What features?
Hot corners is one thing, in LXDE dragging a window to the corner/side will drag it into a new desktop. Thats really the main thing for me. And to clarify, I use it because its lightweight and I only have 4GB ram. I like Mate too though, and the way Gnome is going soon it will have less features than any DE.

Fuck yeah! Let's hope this will bring more devs and money to LXQt project. I'm still amazed they pulled of a merger.
GTK has value in that it is usable from C. We need a replacement or a C API for Qt.
How so?

>What features? It can't even match MATE, much less Gnome or KDE.
Can you give examples instead of just making this claim constantly? I'm on a fresh install of Xubuntu 18.04 right now and all the low level stuff basically works right out of the box, I've just changed some basic themes and settings and installed the programs I prefer over the default ones. There's no screen tearing or anything weird, the only thing I've had trouble with is the trackpoint configuration. I'd say that's as close to "just werkz" as Linux is going to get.

It'll be the DE with the less features and the heaviest too. Gnome devs are the most incompetent devs there is. Gnome has to die.

>archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/text/xfeces/
cringe

The only people who care about DEs are illiterate GUItards. Hence why the only insult against Xfce is that it's supposedly stuck in the past.

Qt is more stable, not developed by retards, and well dominate the desktop soon enough.

>lack of ANY thumbnail in the file chooser
What did he mean by that?

Attached: Screenshot_20180519_144846.png (530x353, 64K)

>the only insult against Xfce is that it's supposedly stuck in the past.

It is stuck in the past and most of you Xfeces eaters say that's a good thing.

Your DE will die in short order. It cannot survive the next generation of DE development.

>Claim that is hard to prove and is not even attempted here
>Personal attack against third parties
>Statement with no bearing to the discussion

All you need is a terminal. There's nothing else to develop, it's all gimmickry. Xfce will last as long as there aren't vulnerabilities.

>cringe
Yep.
>Errorz!
>RBT, now with botnets and WEB2.0 shit?

>mature
You meant didn't added any useful feature in 10 years?

>typical Xfeces shill pretending there is nothing more to do on the Linux desktop in order to justify the lack of features on his Xfeces pile.

This is why MATE, Budgie, and LXQt are going to put your DE in the shithole of desktop history where it belongs. Your Xfeces is destined to rot the minute other DEs matured enough to replace Gnome3 entirely.

Why do Ubuntufags think changing the default DE makes it an entirely different distro?

Name one such feature.

Are all lx* fans this butthurt about the shittiness of their DE?

LXDE is faster than your shitty Xfeces.

So that's a yes? Is LXDE really THAT bad? Chill out, dude. Try using a decent DE instead.

Can I make LXQt look exactly like LXDE?

Or is now the whole setup completely different?

Attached: Screenshot (1).png (1021x768, 48K)

>It is stuck in the past
tell it to the coelocanth then. why doesnt it evolve!!! it needs to be different to be good!!!

This is a good thing

>LXDE is pointless
it's not

lxde is simpler (or even simplest)
it's just a few tools and/or frontends wrapped with a session manager but they don't need it to work so you can use them with any x wm to configure your shit more easily
overall it's a great contribution

LXQts only advantage is that kde applications work normal in it
try dolphin anywhere else to see for yourself