/tpg/ - ThinkPad

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60(s; t); X200(s; t), T400(s)/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ctrl+c, ctrl+v.jpg (2592x3456, 975K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/news/leah-fundraiser.html
logostore-globalid.us/ProductDetail.aspx?did=17361&pid=172921&logoid=0
publi24.ro/anunturi/electronice/laptop/lenovo/anunt/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-i53230M-ram-4-gb-taste-iluminate/780867717e606253.html
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>”hey user can I use your computer}
>”oh, my grandfather had one of those years ago. He recently moved into a MacBook Pro,he makes me so wet”

Posted in other thread, but what's a fair price for an x220 in good condition with the following:
i5-2520
256 Samsung Evo 850
8 GB RAM
2 OEM batteries, one a fresh 9 cell?

OP is a faggot.

This general went shit when they start adding the "Libreboot-compatible models" shit.

T61/p, X61/s/t X201/T410 are still good machines that they left of the recommendationes for that tranny-boot bullshit.

Attached: 1512605341918.png (785x757, 1.23M)

anyone have anyidea on how to get a custom splash screen working with x201 that has a modded bios?

Re-install the same version of that modded BIOS and add the splash image to the setup folder.

>tfw can't find any sort of thinkpad under the price range of $40

Attached: 1517610638512.jpg (147x168, 4K)

i've tried that but it doesn't work.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-18 19-10-24.png (1197x509, 74K)

Well, are you buying or selling? If you are buying then you want to use some jew magic to get it possibly for $100-150. But if you are selling consider selling it for like $200

Selling

> Lincucks

I see your problem here.
also use the Lelnovo installer for change the BIOS logo.

>my grandfather... makes me so wet
What did she(he) mean by this?

i know that you have to use windows to flash the bios and i've done it with my x220 and t430.
if flash the stock bios and follow the instructions in the bioslogo.txt it works. but then my wifi card won't work because it's not whitelisted. if i run whinplash64.exe to remove the whitelist it removes the splash screen

I can buy a T40 for 39usd
But I won't

I might have got one, fucking excited!

Macbooks make girls wet

Just got my first thinkpad after lurking this site for years. Holy fuck have I been missing out

Attached: img-61701.jpg (1920x1080, 890K)

I have a T530 - what are some good upgrade I should do? I have an i7 cpu, ssd, and 8gb of ram.

>people in this board buying """thinkpads""" not listed in OP

Attached: 1526689438725.jpg (222x227, 9K)

so i got a shared 4g sim card so i can actually use some of the 20gb data plan i got on my phone, i plugged it into my X260 and turns out it didnt come with the broadband adapter installed

what will fit in the fucking thing so i can shitpost everywhere on my chinkpad?

So, playing 3 videos in 720p at the same time on a T420 and X270. Guess which one lags.

>tfw pristine x201

is UBUNTU a good option for an x230? will it be power efficient

Attached: deadpool_cover_2_by_postys-d2zq6qu.jpg (1378x2000, 463K)

Attached: 1524100931104.png (919x648, 46K)

> T430s

You didn't miss so much with that model...

Ubuntu is less power efficient than windows by default if you want to save power use i3

Would anybody be interested if I made a write up of essential things to do after installing a mainstream distro (Ubuntu, Manjaro, etc.) on linux for the T/X x20+ series of laptops?

I feel like a lot of people don't know that they shouldn't be using the Nvidia dgpu in their thinkpad over intel's integrated graphics. Also some basic things like composite managers and resetting battery thresholds probably does not cross a lot of people's minds, which probably just scares them away from Linux all together.

the t480 is a legitimately good laptop desu

The chiclet key meme needs to die, still better than any other laptop keyboard

I mean I can just replace the keyboard, the screens the only thing that kinda sucks, but I mostly hang out in a dark room so I don't really care that much

Discrete graphics are just one of the many reasons why I'm using windows to be quite honest with you famalam
But just write it then, I assume whatever you're writing doesn't exist on the internet? (ie what's there now is a scattered non unified version of whatever you want to set down)

Is it hard to remove the whitelist on xx30? What's the simplest way to do it?

> xx30
> simplest way
> to remove the whitelist

Attached: memepad_xx30.jpg (800x1200, 719K)

Exactly, I'd like a guide all in one place. Probably gonna write it up this weekend.

(You)
(You)
Better power efficiency
IPS
Better igpu
Free to use both keyboards
Native USB 3.0
IPS
Not being associated with a dumb frog poster such as yourself
Anything else I'm missing?

We need more people like you and less (or none) tranny-boot shills here.

Attached: 1522906429411.gif (498x278, 540K)

that would be very kind of you user

is it worth getting a thinkpad when I already have a surfacebook

Why is it called trannyboot?

> libreboot.org/news/leah-fundraiser.html

I bought a Latitude 7480 instead of a ThinkPad. Convince me that I fucked up.

>needing to do any of this shit at all
Why do you even buy the worlds most locked down laptops?

No one else pulls this shit, but somehow Thinkpads are 'freedom'

Not really.
The dealbreaker for me was having the trackpoint. I got so used to using a trackpoint that laptops without them just don't feel as good or easy to use.

But if you just want to try one out then you could just buy one, they get pretty cheap. If you ever feel like selling them again they retain their value pretty well so you wouldn't be losing much.

Same shit as the nu-pads

He made the mistake of buying a new thinkpad.
Basically the same shit as a macbook with a trackpoint.

>Why do you even buy the worlds most locked down laptops?

People who shills like having a "superior" machine.

At least you won't have to deal with.

>Why do you even buy the worlds most locked down laptops?
Citation needed.

>libreboot.org/news/leah-fundraiser.html

Attached: 1371173533345.jpg (500x371, 41K)

Just buy a 2570p already. Cheaper than the x230, built like a tank. screw-less access to internals, no whitelist nonsense, socketted CPU, DVD drive...

Neither the x220 or the x230 can compete.

Attached: elitebook2.jpg (899x1038, 120K)

>shit chiclet
>no middle click with nipplemouse
nah, I'll pass...
>dvd drive
lmao what year do you think this is

Got 16GB for my T430.

Attached: IMG_20180519_014506.jpg (4160x3120, 3.62M)

I guess I don't like the lack of a middle click. But all around that looks pretty solid.

Just got an hp elitebook 840 g1 for 100 eurobucks.
Anyone know if it supports coreboot?

>"HURR DURR BLU-RAYS, CDS AND DVDS R OBSULEET!1!!!"

>havent used a CD in at least three years
>work with technology constantly at my job

Attached: 1523882200961.png (270x344, 52K)

I'm looking for a decent computer for basic school things. Writing papers, browsing, basic things.

Are any of these good prices or which models should I look at and whats a good price?
Lenovo ThinkPad W540 15.6" FHD 2.90GHz CORE i7 4600M 16GB 240GB SSD W8PRO WEBCAM ($350)

Lenovo ThinkPad T440 [20B7S14N0Q] 14" 2.10GHz CORE i7 [4600U] 8GB 240GB SSD WiFi ($250)

T430s
intel i5-3320M 2.60GHZ
6G ram
128GB SSD ($200)

Lenovo ThinkPad X130e / E-300 @ 1.30GHz / 4GB RAM / 320GB HDD ($50)

Sorry, I don't know shit about refurbished thinkpads so I have no idea what I should be paying for one.

When was the last time you used your CD bay? I haven't. For literally over the 2 years I've had my thinkpad, and the 3 before I had this one. Now I use it as a HDD bay.
neck yourself

I dont understand why he need a surgery... he can still suck dicks even if he has one. He just have to say no homo at the end.

Attached: 2018-04-29 20.03.14.jpg (398x329, 40K)

>bought refurb hp elitebook a year ago
>replace battery since received battery always shut down
> (new) battery now experiencing the same problems, take it a part and see large swelling
Should I get another chinese battery, or just fetch a thinkpad?

they are though.

there only purpose in 2018 is to carry around DRM'd bullshit media to play on DRM kosher playback devices.

Check the website probably.

I use it once in a while to burn stuff and to rip DVDs (because fuck Netflix).

You can still rip DVDs with HandBrake.

Still no x220 libreboot? You told me it was in the works, years ago.

>T450s
>1080p IPS
>i7
>250gb SSD
>8gb RAM
>ultra dock
>2 chargers
>$450

Did I did gud?

is it possible to get louder speakers on any (particularly T440) thinkpad?

Does anyone here actually use computrace ? I'm going to be travelling into some shady areas and I'm wondering what can I do to secure up the laptop as much as possible, other than it looks like an old used brick nobody will want to steal anyway.

Great idea. Post it to your own webpage or something and share the link here.

would love it. A guide to using tlp and powertop would be great.

I want an x-series with a 1080p screen (at minimum)

what are my options?

just saw this
pls kys
nobody's gonna buy that with turd sticker

Attached: de461efb3d91a573ff5ac1c2e453c0a5.jpg (312x416, 23K)

>want to buy an used thinkpad
>live in Europe
just make it end

where do I find those deals in europoorland?

logostore-globalid.us/ProductDetail.aspx?did=17361&pid=172921&logoid=0

This might be a cool accessory for newer Lenovos with a webcam built in.

Attached: lf.jpg (400x400, 15K)

Newest thinkpads have camera shutter integrated into the chassis.

Attached: shutter-1.jpg (806x436, 39K)

What does /tpg/ think about the thinkpad compact USB/Bluetooth keyboard?

Just got a used T440p, what kind of checks should I perform to make sure everything is working so I know I'm happy to keep it?

It scores as it should in Cinebench, the battery performance is surprisingly good for a used laptop, the keyboard and trackpad work, display is working as it should etc.

Is all I need to do just check the operating temps and check all the ports are working?

I merely install TLP and use the defaults, is that good enuff?

You want to use TLP for a thinkpad to set battery thresholds and to configure your kernel for power saving.

so whats the best power efficient distro?

Attached: Ready-Player-One.jpg (2002x980, 187K)

Also please can someone tell me what the cheapest trackpad for one of these is? One that isn't dogshit and has dedicated buttons I mean. This thing is completely unmanageable.

I see some that are really cheap and some that are like 4x the price, I'm guessing one is a chink shitter and the other is a genuine Lenovo part? If so, which do I get?

Lovely day

Attached: IMG_20180512_191335_DRO.jpg (1166x1311, 1.41M)

I got an X200 which I recently librebooted. Everything's great, quick AF, but I can't seem to find my WWAN card. It shows up in lsusb, but if I run wwan on, it tells me there's no device. Swapping the card for another one did nothing. Wat do, Jow Forums?

Go through the config file and customize it to your preferences. You can do things like use less power for SATA, and you could use laptop mode to prevent hard disks from spinning at all times. You'll find settings for USB ports, Wi-fi and ethernet.

How is the t400 for internet browsing? I was thinking about buying it for my father, instead of building a real desktop since it is cheaper and (maybe) easier to setup.

I was thinking about using it closed, always plugged on the internet, with mouse and keyboard on usb, and a external monitor on the VGA port.

Rate.

Is this a scam?
publi24.ro/anunturi/electronice/laptop/lenovo/anunt/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-i53230M-ram-4-gb-taste-iluminate/780867717e606253.html
It's 150usd without hdd.
Around 6usd shipment cost.
Can change the keyboard since it's german, but whatever.
Not planning to buy it now just asking.

A core 2 duo should be enough if you're using new firefox. My biggest concern would be the integrated GPU, which probably won't be enough to watch videos (especially vp9) at even 720p.
It should work fine as long as you have enough RAM. My old core 2 duo laptop handles internet browsing pretty well, and it handles YouTube at 720p60 (in vp9) without dropping frames, but that's because it has a discrete Nvidia GPU.

What if I want a sub 15" IPS panel at 1080p? Literally don't really care about much else other than battery life as all I do is browse the web and watch shit on my laptop, but comparing my Yoga 2 panel to my GFs Thinkpad screen there's no question which is nicer. Are there any options or do I have to look elsewhere?

Pretty much any distro is good if you configure the kernel. Use TLP (powertop won't be able to use kernel modules to handle thinkpad-specific stuff, but you can use it to see power consumption).

X220 or X230.

T420 can be modded with 1080p IPS panels, but it's not the easiest mod, and it's pretty expensive.

why not Crucial for a few dollars more?

>paying for new ram
>not just getting used ram and checking if it works with memtest (which you should do with new ram as well)

Attached: your-post.png (514x989, 1.94M)

tfw got x230 ips keyboard modded with ec flash that allows custom batteries aswell

Attached: 5678856567.jpg (1152x864, 180K)

What about things like the t460/t470? Are these less bombproof/reliable than the earlier models? They still have a good keyboard, the nipple etc

t420

bought a maxed out T420s today for ~$200 with shipping

and I'm bidding on a X301 board with the good processor in it to put in my nice-looking X301

life is good lads

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (999x749, 81K)

Beauty. What software is that?

Can someone please explain to me why the T/X61, T400 and T500 don't have libreboot ports even though they support coreboot?
I don't like trannies but flashing through software is better than hardware flashing for me.

Attached: 1526516834390.gif (134x134, 1.68M)

Is the E470 any good?