/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 163716 alice_margatroid dress headphones hyuuga_azuri kirisame_marisa pantsu touhou.jpg (853x1200, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C9bj1w63rf8
youtube.com/watch?v=sb2qMvP6YdQ
passlabs.com/press/audio-distortion-and-feedback
magnahifi.com/en/webshop/product/agd-nfb11-28
aliexpress.com/item/HI-FI-base-on-Beyerdynamic-A1-headphone-amplifier-MC33078-BD139-BD140-architecture-With-headphone-protect-ALPS/32818601628.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.16142e0eYQ4nHM
aliexpress.com/item/HIFI-47-earphone-amplifier-2-channel-headphone-amplifier-47-amplifier-dc-double-power-version/32809132547.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.16142e0eYQ4nHM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>no sub 50$ headphones
FIRST FOR TAKSTAR PRO 82's

Attached: HTB12ngsfkCWBuNjy0Faq6xUlXXaC.jpg (405x405, 98K)

>anime feets
saved

Attached: 1526608809434.jpg (600x460, 55K)

stax

Stax aren't headphones

you are right, they are not headphones... they are

Superior Transducers for Audiophile PurpoXes. STAX.

Based

tubes are just hardware EQ, if you want to change your EQ get new tubes

Make sure you properly install tubes unlike

tubes also add some "good" sounding distortion that can help mask "bad" sounding distortion
also, distortion on the lower frequencies help make the bass feel more impactful at the cost of some detail

Yeah

Attached: 735B2EAF-D86C-469A-9961-E2384B38A899.jpg (3024x4032, 2.26M)

In my opinion they can make a change. In some cases they add to the sound stage and can even slightly change the sound signature of a headphone.

I'm gonna ask again just to be sure, are there any alternatives to the PortaPros that are comfy and sound good while still being a similar price?

Please delete this

Attached: 1526651756500.png (557x948, 524K)

Where my nipgaze anons at I've been away
That new polkadot stingray album is fantastic

i want to fug alice

Why though?

@(you)
stax

Attached: 6C9DA0FF-3A50-4D5A-838C-C7C0BAA9C149.jpg (4032x3024, 1.69M)

These sound okay.

Attached: 20180518_235546.jpg (4032x3024, 3.27M)

Where do I find advice on buying earbuds (not that bullshit that goes into your ear canal) just something like this. The way I have to do my job requires no isolation.

HELP

Attached: 31iMtMJUGQL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (350x350, 11K)

k...keep me posted

Is this a get thread?

Get vido earbuds. They sound pretty good.

>argon user got banned
see ya

Attached: bladerunner 2049.jpg (1024x758, 130K)

Check 'em

Attached: Soyana.jpg (1136x640, 87K)

he's the worst poster in this general, you can't really get banned from this site though

Toneking TO400S is really good, holds it's own against larger headphones. For more budget stuff, look at the BGVP DX3 and Moondrop nameless.

what stax should I buy if I have enough money for anything but don't want something that costs more for no benefit?

FitEar "fitear" IEMs with a resonessence labs Herus. The Herus probably isn't the best dac/amp for these, since they have quite a bit of hiss when music is not playing. I got the Herus for my hybrid IEMs though, so it is not a big deal.
I love these fitears though. The best mids I have ever heard out of an IEM. Too bad they are a pain in the ass to get outside of japan. I heard that FitEar makes you provide a water bill to prove that you live in Japan in order to buy these. I got lucky and found someone in the states selling these for a really good price. Let me know if you would like to know more.

l300 LE or l700

300 with this mod

check'd

this mod

Attached: 1525991638658.jpg (2448x3039, 1.14M)

>no pic related
you dun goof'd

Philips SHP9500S or PortaPros? Looking for good sound but comfort is more important to me.

what have you done to those poor stax

not mine, but sony XB1000 pads and 3D printed hinges

...sorry

Attached: 1504042393047.jpg (963x718, 123K)

philips

>comfort
You will forget the Phillips are on your head. I used to fall asleep with them constantly.

>not mine
if you aren't him then where is that sex god of a man on this fine evening

Attached: 1492935010602.png (418x421, 189K)

Damn, I never thought that there is another FitEar user here. Are they worth the hassle? I knew Indo user has one as well, I think his is the Monet or something? How does that sound like if you have any idea?

Do they still sound good?

for the price they are pretty good

Sorry, I have no idea how the monet sounds. I would not say that these are worth spending that much time/money, but some people absolutely love the sound signature of the fitears. I would not buy them blind unless you find a good deal on them. Anyways, I would assume that the monets would have a somewhat similar signature to the fitears (midcentric, bright, punchy midbass) since they are both tuned for Jpop and anime songs. The "fitear" is a universal while the monet is a custom, though.

I've been thinking about upgrading my M50x, I kinda wanna go with the portability of a pair of IEMs but the Audeze Sine seem like they have good sound but then again having a lazer engraved anime girl on the shield of a pair of V Moda M100s also sounds good. I'm mostly gonna use it for on the go, but if they're good enough I may use them on my desktop as well.

>anime girl on the shield of a pair of V Moda M100s also sounds good
I hope you are handsome enough to pull that off.

or ugly enough that it doesn't even matters

Dunno if it's out of your price range, but the 1more triple driver over ear is a great headphone IF (and only if) you have small ears and aren't too bothered by small pads.

I've done a bit of research and it seems like some people say to get a dac, any recs on that or do I even need one?

use onboard at first, if you feel like headphones sound dim or weak but people say they are good - get a dac/amp

what closed headphones to get?
I don't like overbearing bass, prefer it somewhere on background.
Budget is ~$300. Will t60rp be a good first "closed" headphone? I need to isolate sound from outside, don't mind leakage.

t60rp are mostly open
ATH-MSR7 could be abetter fit for you

Thanks. Would you say that your FitEar is better than similarly priced IEMs?

SE or normal? what's the difference?

how great are these?

Attached: 314akg712.promo_.jpg (600x401, 40K)

Avoid love live youtube.com/watch?v=C9bj1w63rf8

Are estats only good for classical?

yikes
they're good for everything

badly drawn feet

Attached: meze-99-neo.jpg (652x850, 94K)

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?ROFL.
Decent op.

Attached: 1502722038140.png (1920x1080, 1.43M)

can this ironic weeb z review fucking die?

Attached: ---.png (1024x1011, 314K)

My NFB11.28 arrived.
I want to punch the fuckers who say you can power 600s with anything. You can't. It's like I got new headphones in addition to this thing. I don't know what placebo at work here but sounds cleaner and at the same time bassier now. I ran old amp before switching for whole morning, so change was noticeable.
MS got default driver for it apparently, no popping issue, works as intended.
On minuses, internal audio renderer in MPCHC is messed up now. Plays sound no video. System default works fine.
High gain setting clips with 600s. Low gain is fine.
End of blog post.

Attached: 1500936913620.jpg (1024x594, 175K)

what was the old amp

smsl m6

>I want to punch the fuckers who say you can power 600s with anything. You can't.
Sure, they scale well with power, but you'll have to admit they're awesome plugged to any random device, even without an amp.
Sure enough you've enjoyed them until now.

Now compare it with O2.

Please, don't make me regret having bought it.

it's good, I used it for 2 years, just when you feel you want more, you still can get it without changing headphones

o2 would've been a month(minimum) wait with no ability to return painlessly
nfb11 was 3 days wait I can return

I run my NFB-11 on high gain and it doesn't come anywhere near clipping. No issues with MPC-HC either. You do need the Amanero driver if you're using it over USB on Windows

yea, I got some driver issue, it's not gain related, I think I fixed it now

meow meow rip argon user

Attached: IMG_20180518_015741117.jpg (2080x1170, 747K)

Can you do better for the price point?

Attached: IMG_2396.jpg (421x350, 15K)

I thought we already told you that Audio-gd is the real deal. Save up for the NFB-28 to blow your mind once more.

Audio-gd is what Schiit should have been.

Attached: 9906896.jpg (4032x3024, 2.17M)

oh my lawd

youtube.com/watch?v=sb2qMvP6YdQ

Attached: 1421522010267.gif (249x214, 594K)

What about the no feedback meme?

I'm no EE so I don't have the exact knowledge to presume too much about it but this whole feedback thing is a design choice and there are arguments for and against it. I think it's not as clear cut as some people would like you to believe.

Try reading this discussion written by Nelson Pass:
passlabs.com/press/audio-distortion-and-feedback

why aren't dacs/amps measured through mic like headphones?

Thanks for the read. I'm still no sure about which upgrade path to take, and won't be able to take one until next year, so it's always nice to know more about what I'm getting into.

I've had the Philips SHP9500S and tascam th20 and together they cover all my bases, but whats the next logical upgrade?

hd600 and pro82/msr7

Pro 82 and HD600 master race!

Ah thanks. Why both?

The HD600 is open and neutral while the others are closed and U-shaped (Pro 82) or V-shaped (MSR7).

Just read this and I see that it's really a matter of preference. I have to take a better look at the NFBs then.

warm headphone warm cat

Attached: IMG_20180514_010148483.jpg (1664x936, 629K)

Koss KPH30. Basically the same shit as a Porta Pro, some say it's a bit better, but overall more comfortable.

wat headphone?

phillips fidelio l1

here.
magnahifi.com/en/webshop/product/agd-nfb11-28
It's even better that there are official European distributors. I can see the Portuguese customs rubbing their hands at the prospect of charging me 23% VAT and other import taxes if they got their hands on one of them.

What they usually mean is some lack of global feedback, rather than a real "no-feedback" design. I don't know any design that gives up correction entirely, not I have been interested.

-Real devices are not described algebraically, but by infinite series instead. That is, they spit out all orders of distortion, harmonic and intermodulation, whether valve or solid-state.
-There is such a thing as too little feedback: the terms peak when only a small amount of feedback is used. Loop gain is limited in tubes. As far as feedback is concerned, your priority is the usual, avoid accidentally creating positive feedback.
-Auditory masking makes distortion hardest to hear when the music is complex, rich in harmonics over the spectrum. There are many more maskers present, but this usually makes FR aberrations easier to pick up.

Why would you? Audio analyzers have a much better resolution for measuring electronics. Why put a device in the way that adds more noise and nonlinearities?

I have generally larger ears, but I'll take a look anyways. Thanks m8.

why?

fuck off?

what do you guys think of comply eartips?

Hi /hpg/,

I'm creating a guide on how to get a very good home theater experience on a tight budget.
One of the subjects is audio.

The strategy described in the guide is as follows:
1. Get a cheap DAC if your onboard DAC sucks balls(I describe how to detect if you got jewed on the onboard audio).
2. Create a very flat sound signature by EQ'ing the shit out of your headphones using EqualizerAPO.
3. EQ'ing flattens the frequency response at the expense of volume, so you need an amp.

Here comes my problem:
I found 2 amplifiers on AliExpress that I think would be good for this purpose

No1: aliexpress.com/item/HI-FI-base-on-Beyerdynamic-A1-headphone-amplifier-MC33078-BD139-BD140-architecture-With-headphone-protect-ALPS/32818601628.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.16142e0eYQ4nHM

The problem with this amp is that it requires more parts to arrive(input headphone jack, C14 socket, transformer, some female male connectors and some wire)
It also (pre-soldered) requires more work to get up and running and it's more expensive.

However, it shows an excellent frequency response and has a lot more power than No2.

No2: aliexpress.com/item/HIFI-47-earphone-amplifier-2-channel-headphone-amplifier-47-amplifier-dc-double-power-version/32809132547.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.16142e0eYQ4nHM

This amp requires just some wire and a DC12V power supply.
There is no frequency response graph included and it isn't super powerful.

What should I recommend in my guide?
I'll have to order and test both if you guys are on the fence.

Soft and pliable, but quick to degrade.
People may remark on lost treble and boosted bass, which seems more like they never knew how to make their tips fit in the first place. Foam tips cannot have more bass than a well-fitted silicone tip. Push back the lip of the sleeve to make sure it doesn't cover the hole.

any tips on making them last longer? I got a free pair included but they tore themselves apart after about two to three months iirc

really comfortable though