Is it true this masterpiece was written in c++? If it is true...

Is it true this masterpiece was written in c++? If it is true, what would I need to do to qualify to make something like this

Attached: 220px-Halo2-cover.png (220x274, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine
youtube.com/watch?v=HQYsFshbkYw
unrealengine.com/en-US/ue4-on-github
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Here's a nice example of a production quality C++ engine github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine

A solid understanding of Linear Algebra, Physics, and Calculus will do you good. To be fair, you're one person, not a group of developers. Know your limits. This guy is a good idea of what you could become if you're determined enough.
youtube.com/watch?v=HQYsFshbkYw

haha
game development is so much more than programming
In order to "qualify to make something like this," you should download a professional game engine like Unity, Unreal, Game Maker, etc., and spend an entire year just working through tutorials.
And then make your first game, yes it's going to suck balls.
After you've made your first game you will understand the game development process with a more hands-on understanding. Then you will be ready to start on your "masterpiece."

I would say about three years of self-education, trial and error, and most of all, persistence. Most kids start on game dev for like a few weeks and give up because it's too hard.

Sounds like poor little baby got rejected to his first big boy job huh, do you need to talk it out little guy? It's okay to be a failure lmao

Everything he said is correct. Grow up, and realize that you're not going to make Halo 2 by yourself with beginner knowledge.

Most of those tutorials are terrible, written by slavs, and teach you bad habits and methodologies.

I recommend you get your PhD in math while learning programming and CS on the side.
10 years later, you will be ready to make something 1/100th as good as Halo's engine.

To this day, Bungie are one of the few who can write proper netcode that doesn't make people stutter and skate around because they're standing on moving platforms. Game dev is litered with the worst of programmers, artists, everything. It's especially bad in Japan, where being a game developer is less respectable and takes less talent than being a custodian.

Sure it is, fucking faggot, and I bet you're one of those morons who thinks eating hotdogs from stands on NYC is "safe" right?

>Game dev is litered with the worst of programmers, artists, everything
artists are alright, for the most part

Na. Almost all of them don't know how to unwrap properly, do proper topo for animations, rig and animate in a way that doesn't bend solid materials on a partially-soft-partially-hard source, and can't comprehend how to bake or not bake in lighting for their given game engine.

School doesn't teach them this shit, either. I don't know what the fuck it's teaching them. Just basic button pushing in programs to poorly automated shit.

W-whats wrong with them?

nothing, he's crazy. they are the best!

>t. retard
Almost all """"""professional"""" dev work at large corporations are just glorified spreadsheets aka databases and moving around simple strings and numbers, or simple inventory/cash/revenue calculators that do add/subtract/multiply and that's it.

This shit is exactly why you see large corporations hire Pajeets because you can literally train a monkey to do that shit. You will never see a Pajeet making a collision engine or design game AI though.

Basics of lingebra, basics of calc, thorough knowledge of your OS, proficiency in C++, a slight idea of algo analysis and complexity, maybe a little background in theory of computation, some basic networking and that's about it from the programming standpoint. Basically just undergrad shit.
Get ready to reimplement everything you would use from stdlib, including allocators, lock-free concurrency primitives and other sweet things. That's just for engine (the interesting part). The rest is pancakes but your game will suck anyway.
Gamedev is the most braindead discipline, right after webshit frontend. Everyone who got hired to our team (fintech) from gamedev got fired within a year because they couldn't learn, let alone keep up. Luckily we migrated most components of our system to Haskell and only few parts are in C or asm these days, so no more gamedevs looking for work.
BitSquid was made by one person almost all the way until Autodesk bought it.
The guy you linked is an example of what you can do in a month when you spend an hour or two on a project if you already know C.
>PhD in math for gamedev
Many keks were had.
I'm working for a large hedge fund and the bulk of my work is spent fiddling with silting mutations or pointed and stable derivators on paper, then implementing the mess in Haskell.
And aerospace too wasn't "moving around simple strings and numbers, ...".

idknow from my experience at a game dev the programmers all where literally retarded and the artists where all desperate fucks. like the programmers where doing it for some stupid reason they justified to them self and where not logical or healthy people and the artists where all just happy as hell to have the job because they know their skills would be unemployable in every other context.

so the programmers are more valuable than the artists but still retards basically.

>telling people are retarded
>use "where" instead of "were"

Attached: 1526013076925.jpg (474x778, 232K)

I've heard many stories from my ex-coworkers. The situation of gamedevs is not as bad here in yuropoor, but most of them came from Canada or US anyway.
It's definitely passion that makes them accept such conditions - one ex-coworker was laid off and still worked on the game for 4 months, for free. Can't imagine working 18 hours a day for free on someone's project.
Aerospace actually isn't as profitable, it was the reason i moved on to fintech. It was definitely not a bad salary, but working on safety-critical systems takes a toll on your mental health and the salary didn't reflect that. To this day my heart stops whenever there's a news mentioning anything relevant to my previous employer.

>spergs out and insult some guy who did nothing but gave you a realistic idea of what needs to be done in order to make a game on your own

I expect nothing less from underage brainlets who call any halo games a "masterpiece".

Attached: 1483985468830.png (198x164, 2K)

>EpicGames
if you think that this bloated unrealengine piece of shit is 'quality' then you have zero knowledge in this field, and please stop posting on Jow Forums and you're inferior

>Sounds like poor little baby got rejected to his first big boy job huh, do you need to talk it out little guy? It's okay to be a failure lmao
lmao fuck off kid your mom is dead

>good netcode on proper infrastructure with thousands of players and matchmaking in the year 2004
>undergrad stuff
kek, good luck learning any of that in school/from a paper. I know that implementing algebra/physics may give you bragging rights on a chinese pachinko forum but please don't be silly.

fuck

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 4.55.09 AM.png (1124x620, 423K)

>tfw never got the indestructable warthog or scarab gun

>Game dev is litered with the worst of programmers, artists, everything. It's especially bad in Japan, where being a game developer is less respectable and takes less talent than being a custodian.
Why do people make up things like this?

>meme math
the only sane way to make a game is from an existing engine like unity or unreal. if you're a AAA company, then you can consider writing your own engine.

also Halo is a multi-billion dollar IP and they call in whoever they need to solve problems.

>buzzwords
yikes

Enjoy your aids faggot

Game development offers very few jobs and companies hire only the best. Realistically, you'll need PhD level education for that.

>[game] companies hire only the best
haha. Not at 80k/year they don't.

>game
>masterpiece
>>>/reddit/psmr

Yes, games can be masterpieces. Do you have brain damage?

apparently you need to sign on EpicGames website to get access to this private repo
unrealengine.com/en-US/ue4-on-github

might be a jealous jobless haskell programmer

I still play online using X Link Kai, there's players in South America

>good luck learning any of that in school
A simple assignment you would have to do in uni is to design and implement a protocol that satisfies certain properties, performance constraits included. Considering a non-retarded protocol is half of the success of these systems, you would have learned a key part of the infrastructure in just one homework. Imagine that there was a homework for every week of the course, totalling 13 homeworks from various areas of networking! Oh and a group project. How amazing that you actually learn something in school.
The other part, where you handle thousands of players, is a matter of not being a retard. Anyone who knows how his OS and HW roughly works with resources is capable of designing the system such that it wastes little to no resources.
>implementing algebra/physics
You mean a mix of algebraic geometry and algebraic topology? Yes since pure mathemagicians are very proud of these topics being so abstract that they're unapplicable and we, as applied mathemagicians like to break their toys into submission. Of course our team is a bit special, most quants that came from math/physics do functional anal, stats and maaaaybe a little bit of diffy topo if they're feeling brave.
And if you feel fintech can't possibly know how good neworking code looks like, you should apply as an intern to maintain our (any really) HFT platform, it's a beast full of magic dust and overshadows any MMO you can think of.