Cooling

In the summer-months, let's talk liquid and air cooling Jow Forums.
>what do you use and why?
>what poor CPU are you forcing to endure the heat?
>is it overclocked, if so how high and what heat differences do you run into?
>idle temps?
>load temps?

Attached: 1517030384678.jpg (650x926, 216K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5WDxh4UiW_I
guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-review,5.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'll kick us off then.

>Corsair Hydro H115i
It's a loud motherfucker, but gets the job done.
>8700k
Good CPU all around, runs well, does it's job, even while not overclocked.
>yes
Big differences in temperature though. I keep it at 5,1Ghz during fall, winter and spring (if it's not a too hot spring).
>30 degrees idle in the summer, 20-25 on regular, and 20 blank in the winter
In a country where winters get very cold and summers get very hot it's an equal trade.
>on 100% over a few minutes 85 degrees (I have to clock down a little during the summer though, or the thing will just crash at 90ish), during the winter we get low-80s at 5,2ghz though, which is nice

Some random inexpensive chinese air cooling. It was cheap and it works
the legendary and never obselete 2500k
4,4ghz with slight increase in temps and doesn't get too hot under load
>idle temps?
~35-40c on a hot day
>load temps?
~65-80c depending on load and ambient

>2500k
God I miss mine every day. Would have been great for a backup workstation or not-heavily-used home server.

What happened to yours user?

>vrr?

I was young and thick.

Bought myself a new CPU cooler (total junk, in retrospect), and installed it all by myself. I was so proud.

Now I was running at 4,4ghz at the time and thought myself the shit. But I read from some guide online that some dude had pushed it up to 5,0ghz! Big number, tempting, and I wanted in on the action.

Of course, I hadn't installed the CPU cooler correctly (didn't even use thermal paste, Jesus Christ) and when I got I set the voltage and the clock too high it hit an unbearable temp and just died right there. Never got it back to life through any means. I cried and cried those sweet teen tears.

Corsair H100i. It has a 5 year warranty. Liked the form factor vs. air.

Threadripper 1950X

It's stock, but can turbo up to 3.7Ghz.

>idle temps?
About 42c.

>load temps?
As high as it lets me.

VRRRRRR

I don't get it, isn't your room temperature the same all year? Do you not have heating or air conditioning in your home?

Gonna get air conditioning installed in my study next month. Got a quote for £2k, just need to decide if it's worth spending an extra £2.5k to also get an indoor unit in the bedroom too.

>not having a glorious ceiling-fan that makes your room of choice an ice-cave

Why the fuck why the actual mother fuck do people do this.

If you are spending the money for a threadripper platform spend the money for a proper cooling solution. You must MUST have 90% IHS coverage or greater this small ass c circular cold plate aios CANNOT handle this cpu..

Use Enermax liqtech 240 280 or 360 or EK custom loop. Or use noctua tr4 edition with two fans and high pressure case fans up front to feed it.
Either any of these or do a custom loop and use the EK block that covers everything.

Fuck. It's like you fuckers like being retarded you spend that much and a cpu and then don't even ever come close to using the capability you paid for. It's astounding.

This. Some people on Jow Forums sometimes reveal some staggering stupidity that easily rivals any other board.

More often than you think

thank god i live in austria and have a nicely built house where the indoor temps are not affected by outside temperature

Which reminds me that I should clean the filters before I need it in summer. Also turned out it uses WAY less energy than I thought it would, after reaching the set temperature it only sips 10W maintaining it, almost a quarter of the standing fan I had before it.

Attached: ac unit.jpg (1024x648, 46K)

>mfw I have free solar energy in my home and I don't have to worry about power consumption

>£2k
Jesus fuck user, is your study the size of a football field? I paid 400€ for mine and the tools to install it. It's not too hard to do it even, if the tubing between the compressor and the indoor unit isn't too long (anything less than 3 meters really) you don't even need a vacuum pump to bleed it.

>regular desktop stuff
X5670 with some Enermax tower cooler on it with a different fan, stock speed. Something like mid-30s idle, around 50-something at full load.
>gay men
i5-6600k at 4.2, GTX 680. (Yeah, I fell for the waiting meme) Roughly the same temps. Has a Noctua tower cooler on it.

I like heat better than cold so I'll shut the door to my computer room and let the PCs heat it to the upper 30s (~100F). I don't mind it being cold outside in winter, but I do mind it being cold inside. I fucking hate having to wear two pairs of socks and two+ pairs of sweatpants and still being uncomfortable in my own room because my mouse-hand is freezing.

Do you think CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES™ H80I will handle 8700K?

3M Novec 7100 Engineered Fluid
8700k with a heatspreader out of pure silver
i don't care, it look cool
>idle temps?
i don't care, it looks cool
>load temps?
i don't care, it looks cool, I just hope the pressure tank won't explode one day

youtube.com/watch?v=5WDxh4UiW_I

>germans

Attached: 234321.gif (320x240, 2.87M)

>what do you use
Noctua NH-U14S
>what cpu
Ryzen 7 2700X
>is it overclocked
Overclocking is pointless since XFR 2.0 is better anyway
>idle temps
Maybe 3° above ambiant
>load temps
After an hour of stress testing while it was 30° in my room it got up to 60°. Under normal load (like compiling) it doesn't get over 50°. Under no circumstances can I hear my fans over the sound of my HDDs so even during stress testing in summer I can't hear my fans at all.

Attached: 1522148226166.jpg (3072x2304, 1.27M)

Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212. It hardly could get any better at that price.
i5 6600K
It is, 4.5MHz at something like 1.325V. Barely any difference in temps 2bh, slightly hotter while in load.
>idle temps?
27°C right now.
>load temps?
Rarely approaching 70°C unless I stress test. I've never, ever been in the 80+°C.

FWIW my case is a Define R4 with the stock fans. It's pretty silent, and the dust filters keep the case mostly clean. That said, my room is warmer than other rooms in my house. I should open the window and door more often though.

>MHz
Good grief. GHz of course.

so sorry for your loss, user

try to clean the the outdoor unit too.

I wouldn't have doubted Intel already running hot at 4.5Mhz though

212 Evo because I found it cheap and with good feedback
I5 4690k
4.4 Oc
>idle temps?
37c
>load temps?
Low 70c when running prime 95 for 2 hours
Probably could bump the Oc up, but the extra 0.1 doesn’t seem worth it.
letting the house warm up to 31c doesn’t seem to alter performance too much.

I don't understand when people talk about overheating in summer.
I use this baby for years, it's much older than my current CPU, and my temps are always good.

Attached: mugen2-large.jpg (2501x2480, 415K)

Well it runs surprisingly cool. I though tit would ramp up like crazy after OC'ing. I didn't go further with the OC because I'm already somewhat high on tension.

you have to be really fucking retarded to actually kill a cpu

>>not having a glorious ceiling-fan that makes your room of choice an ice-cave
I have one of those and last summer had to get one of those portable A/C.

>66000660
Those numbers ngh

I laugh so hard at these aussies, indians and brazillians subhumans ITT.

Attached: 1462210537261.jpg (2496x1664, 2.42M)

I love my NH-D15

>1600x
>pic related
>OC to 4.05GHz
>idle 30C
>load

Attached: nh_d15_4.jpg (570x500, 70K)

Raystorm D5 with a RX360 and a RX480 radiator.
i7 2700K
4.5GHz (currently HTPC)(had it at 5.2GHz /w HT enabled when it was my gaming PC)
>idle temps?
29c +/- 3c
>load temps?
55c +/- 3c

Attached: crysis.png (509x898, 294K)

>>what do you use and why?
kraken x62v2, because it was one of the only TR4 approved coolers when i bought it
>>what poor CPU are you forcing to endure the heat?
1950x
>>is it overclocked, if so how high and what heat differences do you run into?
no
>>idle temps?
atm, 37C
>>load temps?
55-60c? i never really put it under any real load

9x120mm MORA-3, no fans running for everyday shit
ryzen 2700x
not OC
>idle temps?
room temp
>load temps?
couple degrees above room temp

The default Wraith cooler my Ryzen came with
Ryzen 3 1200
No, I made the mistake of not getting a compatable motherboard to overclock
>idle temps?
~35
>load temps?
~60

Noctua D15 without front fan
non-delidded 8700k
4.8GHz allcore @ 1.25V. Zero problems tbf.
>idle temps?
35c
>load temps?
80c in stress tests, 60c while gayming

Attached: 15136110422580.jpg (630x630, 82K)

Corsair H110i Extreme because its really fucking good
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
no
>idle temps?
29-32°C from k10temp (kernel module)
31°C from OpenCorsairLink
>load temps?
Test: building gentoo kernel 4.16.8
47°C from k10temp
35°C from OpenCorsairLink

Attached: 1521171750618.png (728x546, 811K)

Unbranded cheap split units can be £400 or so but this is for a Mitsubishi or Daikin model with a 7 year warranty. I do agree that £2k including install is a lot, it shouldn't take that long to install it considering the indoor unit would only be maybe 4m above the outdoor one.

FX8350 @4.7Ghz
GTX 1060 @2150Mhz

240+360mm radiators
Whisper quiet, barely push 40°C at load

Attached: 100_1466.jpg (3472x2604, 1.44M)

dear christ those shrooms! *retching noises*
Some frosty temps on an AIO though, congrats

Attached: vomit.jpg (680x680, 82K)

Stock Intel cooler
i5 6400
Nope
>idle temps?
~25 °C
>load temps?
~50 °C

Does that thing have AM4 brackets?

>good custom loop
>shit components

Attached: 14793084163810.jpg (898x709, 162K)

Enermax TR360, it was pretty much the only watercooling option when Threadripper dropped and it performs quite well.

1950x

4.2ghz stable

>idle temps?

21*C

>load temps?

49*C

That was on the old setup the new one is push pull fans and more CFM so I'm curious to see what it will do when I come home in a few days

He was a teenager, so... yeah.

6700k at 1.37v 4.6, it's under an app so it shouldn't be too bad

At 3.4 I've had it down to 17*C idle

The CPU literally came with a bracket for that specific cooler you brainlets. And how do you explain the fact it has no issues keeping it cool? If it was truly inadequate, wouldn't it be throttling, and overheating? Here you are pretending to be smart, yet you'll never get far enough in life to afford a badass CPU like this,

Noctua NH-D14 because i bought it years ago for my 3770k machine and it's sweet
Ryzen 1600, for now
3.8GHz, used to hit almost 90C on prime95 and IBT but now caps out at about 62C
>idle temps?
35-ish
>load temps?
usually 55 or so, i mostly just game

i think i misapplied the thermal paste but it's working well enough that i don't want to bother for now
gonna grab one of those IC graphite pads when i get the chance and upgrade to a 2700x

Kraken 62

non-delidded 8700k

1.3V @ 5ghz

60c while gaming 80c stress tests

I'll probably delid it a few years down the line

i have a surface pro 3 i3. it gets up to like 118-120F at the most with the fan blasting, is that hot? It'll sometimes get that hot while streaming twitch 1080p60 while browsing for like 6+ houts at a time, am i going to fuck my shit up or is that OK?

think about how protein-rich whatever the mushrooms are growing in had to be for them to be able to grow such large bodies. that didn't come from the air

6300, undervolted, passive cooled, don't remember the temps but ~10C below TjMax iirc

Hyper 212x. Everything over that is waste of money.

You have truly never overclocked then. Its a good budget cooler but that's it.

Currently i7 6700k @4.5 1.280Vcore with a Cooler Master Master Liquid 240 Lite RGB 30-38C Idle /60-65C normal usage /80C under 100% load.
At first i was a bit mad cause my fx8320e @4.8Ghz 1.440Vcore never went above 70C at full load, but Intel is an entirely different beast and on most forums people say those are perfectly fine temps for an i7 6700k...

>1.28v
bullshit

works fine with the stock cooler. 28c isnt really that high.

GPU block fits the Gigabyte G1 1070/80/ti so I can upgrade down the line.
Orignally had a GTX 590 with a 1055T in the loop, might upgrade down the line but ATM I don't see the need.

Oh and the cooler name is CR-95C

1.345Vcore sorry man i got my numbers mixed up, my i5 6600k did got there with 1.280

NH-D14, had a 120mm radiator crap out on me and I'm not dealing with that shit again.
Ryzen 2700X
Performance enhancer 3, aka aggressive turboing, up to 4.1 on all cores and 4.35 on lightly threaded applications.
>idle temps?
30-40c? I don't think AMD temp sensors are calibrated at the low end and the number fluctuates a lot.
>load temps?
70-80c, really depends on the workload due to the dynamic turboing.

Is your room 17c? Didn't think so.

Jesus fuck user, you must have put more money and time in your cooling than your entire fucking system.

Intel is the Lord of Flames. Dancing on the peak of 80 with an overclocked CPU is completely acceptable. I was blown away when I moved to Intel and spent a day afraid to turn my computer on, thinking my cooler had malfunctioned.

Then I read online that most Intel processors hang around that altitude when OC'ed, and they're fine with it. Really weird transition though.

The X versions of Ryzen cpus have a 10° offset so mobo auto oc features don't decide to ruin it. You'll have to check if the software you're using to check the temps corrects the temperture or not.

However the design is really interresting. Ryzen cpus have almost 1000 sensors on board. These are used to measure voltage and temps about everywhere on the die. These sensors are also making decisions on how to use XFR. For example if 1 core is a bit too hot to boost it could decide to just boost another core instead since that core might be inside the acceptable temperature range. Also these sensors measure thousands of times a second and when your load increases for maybe less then a millisecond XFR can still boost the loaded core for just that millisecond so it's extremely quick to react compared to earlier boost technologies.

I really like the design and engineering that went into the power management of the Zen arch. It's miles ahead of the competition. There were some interesting reads about the power management in some Raven Ridge articles. You might like those.

>Implying I don't know how to read my temp sensors

Attached: xl9ZvQ7.png (578x66, 5K)

Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Best purchase I've made in a while. It's absolutely noiseless, costs nothing and offers the same performance as your average two slot AIO cooler without the risk of leaks or pump noise.

Not overclocked

>idle temps?

Around 37c

I've set the fan to the lowest possible speed until it goes over 50c

>load temps?

Never gone over 65c.

Attached: phanteks.jpg (1440x961, 181K)

It's winter here.

nh-d14, it was cheap
x99 140w tdp
no, but I can put it up to 1.35v 4.7ghz and barely get 10c more during load
>idle temps?
30-40c
>load temps?
50-60c, highest during prime95 was something like 70c with above overclock

about 20c ambient in both cases

Well it's not like I know what monitoring software adjusts the readings for the Ryzen 2 temp offset. I just now the Linux kernel does it which is all I need.

My 2700X only ever reached 60° after an hour of stress testing with an ambient temp of 30°. Yours seems to be getting pretty hot if the offset has been adjusted for.

I too was afraid my AIO was DOA but nope totally fine temps, i am considering delidding at this point.

Hyper 212 Evo
i7-4790k
Nope
>idle temps?
Around 50
>load temps?
Around 70

Doesn't change from season to season because I have air conditioning. My domicile stays a comfy 72 degrees year round.

Wraith Spire
Ryzen 1600
To 3.825ghz. On the stock voltage, so no real difference.
>>idle temps?
37-40c
>>load temps?
~70c if I'm stress testing, around 50-55c with vidya. The only intensive thing I do besides gaming is music production, so I'm never really stressing it.
All these cool CPUs is making me want to grab a Scythe Mugen 5 or a Noctua U12s. The AC in my apartment sucks so I'm worried things will get really toasty once summer is in full swing, especially my gpu.

Air cooler. Some 120mm thing from noctua. Installed a second fan because I thought it looked nicer

TR 1950x

Can't be bothered with that. Especially with anything ryzen where an OC pretty much perform the same as stock. It's not like the olden days anymore where you'd buy a cheap 300 MHz Celeron, and run it at 450 MHz.

>idle temps?
Don't care. Doesn't matter.

>load temps?
See idle temps. Set the fan curves to ramp up by a lot before the max recommended by AMD. Fans are usually very quiet, and I can hear them ramp up a bit when I compile software. It doesn't throttle or misbehave in any way.

I believe people are hysterical about temperatures.

Attached: 2018-05-20-041853_702x587_scrot.png (702x587, 39K)

You computer wasn't built to heat your room moron. Buy a small fan heater or an electric blanket.

Stock Cooler, I only own Laptops
i7-2860QM
no, Throttle stop is used to keep in turbo boost
>idle temps?
52c plugged in and youtube.
60c Battery and you tube (passive cooling up to 65)
>load temps?
92c peak

Swiftech H240X
Dual Xeon X5650
4.0GHz (stock was 2.66) @ 1.25V
>idle temps?
~39C (31C ambient)
>load temps?
Topped out at 50C load after 2 hours with 31C ambient. Overall pretty happy with my setup.

you realize that literally all temperature you can survive in is literally freezing cold for a cpu, right?

>What and why
Cooler master 212 evo. Someone else with similar build had it.
>CPU
Dual Xeon e5-2680v2
>Overclocked
No. (Turbo Boosts to 3.1GHz on load though)
>Idle
40 celsius
>Load
55 celsius

Ryzen 2600 + cooler master air maker 8.

I live in a fucking tundra and the far my cpu goes is 43º (OC at 4.15ghz)

Attached: 1d825eab-3165-4b0a-8138-ee0b0d520b8f.jpg (1280x819, 104K)

Dark Rock Pro 3. Had it on my previous build and could easily convert it for AM4. No reason to throw away a perfectly good cooler, especially a high end one.
Ryzen 1600.
Haven't tried overclocking yet but I'm pretty sure I could get it close to 4.0 ghz without much temperature difference.
>idle temps?
Around 27-34 C
>load temps?
It'll hit around 55-60 C
I keep my house a cool ~70 F in my house, so it doesn't really matter what temp it is outside. Having a air cooler allows me to have my fan speeds fairly low and quiet without much overheating.

Hyper Evo 212
i5 2500k
Nah
>idle temps?
36c
>load temps?
I've seen it hit about 80c.
I think I should reapply thermal paste and clean the heat sink soon, I haven't done either in about 4 years.

Air cooling: Fractal Design R5 w/ 2 intakes, 1 exhaust, 212 Evo for the CPU.
Only the built in turbo, so it runs at 4.1ghz with no noticeable temp difference
>idle temps?
23-27C
>load temps?
60-67C

Attached: speccy.png (722x519, 40K)

is having shitty cooling on excellent hardware, but it still never thermal throttling, but it also fitting into a backpack considered acceptable?

cuz that's what I've got

I don't really think a human survivability comparison was what OP was going for in his post user.

Watercooling, because OC
i7-3770K
OC'd à 4.7 GHz, runs perfectly well, temps are bearable thanks to watercooling
>>idle temps?
About 35°C
>>load temps?
65°C max, usually around 55°C on average

>Buys K series CPU
>Doesn't OC it
What are you, retarded?

I came back to show you this. I noticed no response from my post earlier, probably because you already got BTFO, but just to rub another turd in your face: guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-review,5.html

It's actually becoming winter in my country now so if I open my window my computers temps drop ridiculously.

>Corsair H100i GTX
I actually installed it wrong the first time on this new build so was getting terrible temps until I reapplied paste/mounted it again
>2700X
I can all-core to about 4.25GHz, after that it'll freeze, but running prime95 heat stress test it'll get up to around 73c
>no
While I did oc it to test all-core speed that was only to stress the temps after reinstalling the AIO. I just let XFR2 do it's thing.
>25-35 idle in winter, haven't tested in summer yet
>75c if I lock the all core at 4.25, ~60-65 if I let XFR2 manage clocks

>3.825 at stock voltage
:(
t. [email protected]

same here with d15 on 1800x
makes no difference in temps or noise if the room is a couple of degrees warmer in summer

There's only one right way to cool a PC, and that's passively with huge heat-sinks.
Running a undervolted and delided i7 8700 at 3,8Ghz.

Attached: vyXH2IN.jpg (2620x4656, 1.6M)

that's pretty sexy, but what's still bothering me is the noise of hard drives, which are louder than my active air cooling
so if I wanted to do a completely silent setup I'd probably just drill a hole through the wall and put the pc in the next room