You want CRTs to return...

You want CRTs to return, you're going to have to figure out how to market them to hipsters with more money than intelligence ala vinyl.

Attached: trinitron.jpg (1600x1200, 478K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2017/02/warm-tone-record-press-hand-drawn-records/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>You want CRTs to return
I don't.

>You want CRTs to return
Why would anyone want this?

>how to market them to hipsters with more money than intelligence ala vinyl.
You can "paint" modern art works on the screen with magnets

>Why would anyone want this?
Apparently it is better for old toys.

I have an old Tonka truck in the basement that used to be my brother's. Dunno what that has to do with TVs though.

i don't want them back though
large, loud and hot pieces of shit

No for computer games and all that. Fucking retard.

I'd guess he meant retro consoles and computers that look like shit on LCD displays and sometimes don't even work on them (consoles with light guns). But that's really the only use for a CRT there is nowadays.
>huge
>heavy
>shit picture
>unhealthy (radiation + ionizing your air all the wrong ways)

Quality of motion. Sample and hold blur really really sucks and if you (for example) watch sports, you'll notice it right away.

I want the old 16:9 ones with the RGB input for my OG Xbox, also 1080p like John Carmack used back then. What model it was?

They kinda already have. Spent less than 5 minutes on /vr/ and there is some serious elitism for CRTs, especially the professional grade PVMs, or Trinitrons.

Could be quite lucrative to start a business reselling CRTs to neckbeards and hipsters who will pay up the ass for it, as evidenced by the money they're willing to pay for unopened crap.

They'll probably come back to production in small quantities when the patents on all the good shit expire

The issue is that they're expensive to manufacture and ship, much more expensive than a vinyl record.

Too bad SED died.

Attached: toshiba-sed.jpg (395x297, 44K)

hipsters are too weak to carry CRTs.

PVMs are a meme display though.

We need free and open hardware CRT monitors with free and open hardware schematics and an active community of engineers to rapid prototype and improve their designs incrementally.

Not gonna happen. CRTs are an absolute bitch to manufacture and the only reason they became affordable is because of economies of scale.
Yes, small style CRT manufacturing will be too expensive even with rich hipsters as customers.

>CRTs are an absolute bitch to manufacture
This isn't the 50s. The technology is well understood by now and they were produced by the millions for decades. The cost of shipping them however may be an issue.

Actually the og Xbox used 1080i

Monochrome CRTs aren't that much of a problem to manufacture, color ones however are a major headache and very difficult to adjust.

>huge
yeah
>heavy
yeah
>shit picture
Maybe OLED panels come close enough to compete with CRT, but I think you haven't seen a CRT to compare. The only problem is geometry, and you aren't measuring things on screen with a ruler.
>unhealthy (radiation + ionizing your air all the wrong ways)
Wrong. Radiation isn't a problem, because they will have plenty of lead in front of them to make sure it's contained.

>figure out how to market them to hipsters
make a kickstarter

The big irritant with CRTs is that the electron guns and phosphor degrade with use unlike an LCD which being solid state could outlive you.

Who said I wanted them to return?

A lot of CRT factories appear to have been closed down in a hurry in the mid-2000s; I'd bet a lot of the factory equipment is still there gathering dust.

Millions of us.

>degrade with use unlike an LCD
What are dead pixels?

I know, I am waiting for my RGB cable to have 480p, 720p and 1080i. I think only Jackass The Game was 1080i

I want 4:3 or 5:3 LCD panels more than I want CRT displays back.

I think they're still used for medical displays or something.

they're an enthusiast/hobbyist item. i own two, a Samsung TX-P2034 4:3 for retrogaming and VHS stuff (i do transfers to digital and the tv has a nice Monitor out to use with my USB capture), and a little portable B&W/Radio i use for travelling and on the deck some evenings. These would never hit the mainstream again, due to their bulk, power consumption, etc.

But they're absurdly expensive for anything better than old 1280x1024 displays. This also doesn't include laptops, which haven't had these aspect ratios since like 2006.

there were quite a few OG Xbox titles that used 1080i

The technology is understood, the ability to manufacture them is mostly understood only by old retirees. CRT production is over, the best you'll get is a single factory in China cranking out the shittiest CRTs you can imagine and every company just slapping their brand on it. Pretty much what's going on with cassettes and cassette players now.

>The technology is understood, the ability to manufacture them is mostly understood only by old retirees

Wut. The things have only been gone 10 years.

>Pretty much what's going on with cassettes and cassette players now.
Didn't National Audio recently revive their cassette business after 35 years?

Do you think they just let the factories and equipment just sit there for 10 years in anticipation of uprising of hipsters demanding obsolete technology?

apparently there is a factory in India cranking out now Trinnies, but not under the Sony name

They had to drag out a lot of record presses that hadn't been used in decades, often in abandoned factories, but some guys in Canada developed a new pressing facility with modernized equipment. A lot of those old presses were not in very good operating condition and technical information was hard to obtain since the manufacturers had gone out of business decades ago.

wired.com/2017/02/warm-tone-record-press-hand-drawn-records/

>outlive you
not with the shitty components they use in them to make them cheaper to manufacture. I have a CRT from 2002 still works perfectly.

I believe Taiwan also has a CRT manufacturer?

>>outlive you
>not with the shitty components they use in them to make them cheaper to manufacture. I have a CRT from 2002 still works perfectly.

Yeah but I think they only produce the cheap Type-1 Ferro tapes, no metal tapes and I imagine none of the cassette players manufactured now have Dolby noise reduction.

They did because the only source for new cassettes was China and the quality of them is shit. And they also had to have this guy in his 60s instruct the Millenial-aged guys at the company how to operate the equipment, meaning a cassette press that hadn't been used since 1983 when NA pulled out of the business due to inability to compete with Japanese cassettes.

Most likely they bought Sony's factory equipment at fire sale prices.

CRTs are shit

Attached: monitors_27.5inLCD_24incrt_walls1.jpg (800x449, 55K)

Now move the mouse pointer around and observe how much more responsive and free of smear trails it is on the CRT.

that's what i'm guessing. India is starting to (debatebly) gain a lot of clout in the business world, and the market there for CRTs with their lagging economy makes that kinda thing a No-Brainer.

They can still make the things profitably in Asia because labor is dirt cheap and they don't have to worry about the EPA.

You can also see how the CRT has better color and the picture has more depth to it.

Yeah, if you're retarded.

no it's actually been proven. including the color depth, blacks and refresh rate/viewing angle

god i hate CRT retards

Don't bring vinyl into your tardfest.

this is suck

CRTs are ded, Jim

Sure they have great color and with today's tech we can prolly make them 4k but they're just too inconvenient. Insanely heavy, need way too much power and take too much space.

That being said, I keep a 20" CRT in my living room next to my 40" 4k LED but only for muh classic consoles. If there was a 40" 4k CRT available I would NOT get it.

FUCK THESE PIECE OF SHIT TVs

400+ LBS OF PURE SOLID SONY COCK DROPPING ON YOUR FUCKING TOE IS NOT FUN

FUCK THESE THINGS LET THEM NEVER COME BACK

YES, I AM FUCKING MAD

>need way too much power

>this myth
CRTs don't use any more power than a flat panel except when initially powered on.

Quit dropping them, you clumsy fuck.

Thin artisan wood bezels. Gold plated rabbit ears. Alexa integration.

>a giant lighbulb shooting light beams literally 18 million times per second no matter what uses less power than a few little LEDs turning on and off as needed

i read this in techmoan's voice

...and as always, thanks for watching

>color depth
Roughly the same with a slight advantage to the LCD given than a CRT which used to be able to reproduce >90% of Adobe RGB in the early 2000s probably no longer can due to age, while you can buy an LCD right now which can reproduce 100% of Adobe RGB.

>blacks
You can see right in that picture that the blacks are worse than the LCD it's sitting next to, retard.

>refresh rate
LCD wins again. You can easily run an LCD at 1440p 144Hz these days, while with a CRT you would have to turn down the resolution to something like 1024x768.

>viewing angle
Only legitimate advantage you've listed. Although it's not much of an advantage because you shouldn't be looking at you monitor from side-on anyway.

>given than a CRT which used to be able to reproduce >90% of Adobe RGB in the early 2000s probably no longer can due to age

That's not a technical fault of the CRT, it's the fault of you not being able to buy a new one. As for the rest, the LCD looks blurrier and almost certainly will not have as good motion quality due to sample and hold.

>That's not a technical fault of the CRT, it's the fault of you not being able to buy a new one.
True, but a good CRT in good condition still won't outperform a good LCD in this respect. The best you can hope for is equivalent colour performance.

>As for the rest, the LCD looks blurrier and almost certainly will not have as good motion quality due to sample and hold.
Doesn't black frame insertion fix this? Also, CRTs have their own motion issues like phosphor trails.

Also you cannot use a light gun or a pen on LCDs.

lol who cares, we have shit replacing that anyway (touchscreens for pens, a gyroscope and several sensors + a camera for the lightgun)

>millions
[citation needed]