What's work for you like user?

Are you happy with what you do? Do you make a lot? And what do you do?

Attached: maya.jpg (3537x3335, 783K)

I'm a programming instructor at a place that teaches Scratch, processing.js ,and some html/css...

I spend my time looking over children's shoulders and helping them debug. Since we have a limited amount of "lessons" (poorly made at that) I end up debugging the same problems over and over.

Working with younger children sucks... Teaching them how to open new tabs, teaching them how to copy and paste, teaching them to turn off caps lock before typing in their passwords. Yeah, it's annoying. What sucks the most is when their parents come back (the place is basically a day care) and they ask their child what they did only to get a response like "i don't know"...

I'm also an intern at a small startup. I don't do much over there, but over these last two months I've learned how to use node, react, and a few other things. The people I work with are really smart, and I want to level up as fast as I can :) (Open office, group lunch, small building)

I program industrial software. It's pretty fucking boring, but I get paid an alright amount and have very flexible hours. Once I graduate I intend to look for something different though.

I am a data engineer.

For me it's mostly working in Python/Bash as far as languages go, then working with Kafka/ELK stack and friends, Kubernetes, Puppet, etc. I like it. I get to write quite a bit of Python, heavily automate stuff I hate. Since I've joined we've cut down a lot of our problems and done a lot of cool stuff and we're coming up on the edge of some more neat junk. It's also kind of interesting because we run some things in such a large scale that we have a hard time finding solutions for some issues. Our stuff is so well refined I forget I'm even on call some weeks. Even then when I do get paged it's known or a simple fix.

I make okay money for the area. I get $80k base salary, they pay 6% for my 401k and I contribute 12%, they give us regular 2% quarterly bonuses and an end of year bonus that's 8-10%, and generally an end of year 401k bonus (last year's was 19%). My rent is reasonable low at ~$1400 including utilities. I'm trying to move in the same complex to a larger 2 bedroom unit so I can have an office. I like where I am right now since it's next to work, my commute is a 3 minute walk which is awesome. Driving everyday, especially up here drove me nuts with anxiety.

Though the pay is good and I like working here, I want to know what it will be like in 5 years. I'll probably have to move companies if I can't breach the $100k mark. I do know I really don't want to move to California for a job, no thanks, I'd rather work remote and move back home near my family.

went from hating the work but liking the working environment to liking the work but hating the working environment, I'm clearly never meant to be happy

I'm pretty happy overall with day to day work but career wise I'm not where I want to be. I make $53k CAD and I work as a helldesk technician. Mainly tier 3 work but it's at a small MSP so I still have to deal with the standard bullshit tickets too.

>I like where I am right now since it's next to work, my commute is a 3 minute walk which is awesome.
I absolutely envy you, my workplace is 1.5 hours away from where I live. Luckily though my job is awesome and I like it so much due to flexibility and amazing teams and manager. I work as a data scientist and builds lots of models in R.

That's an outrageous commute, can you not move closer to work?

Waking up in the morning. No. No. Wait for death.

The rent is extremely expensive in the city of Munich and it can take months to find something at a reasonable price. The worst thing about the commute isn't the length though but the amount of stops I have to make. I gotta take the bus, then the train, then take the subway, and the subway again, then a ten minute walk. People at the stations walk so fucking slowly and it stresses the shit out of me because I miss my ride often because of the faggots.

Yeah. I drove every day to work when I was an intern here and it was only 7 miles, but it's 7 miles in the city where no one drives worth a shit. Every day I felt like I was going to die or fuck up my only mode of transportation. When I got hired I was tempted to find a cheaper place and commute again, but it's like 30-60 minute drive depending on when you come or go and I was tired of that. Completely tired of it. I'd rather pay a decent amount of money to just wake up and walk to work. Does wonders for my sanity knowing I can just wake up at 9 or 9:30 and walk into work vs. getting up at 7AM to get ready and leave by 8AM to make it in just barely at 9AM.

My work is flexible too, there's no reason I have to be in early. Frankly I probably could talk to my manager about working a later set of hours like 12-8pm or something since I stay up late anyway. I feel like I'd miss talking and getting lunch with my team though and it'd make meetings weird sometimes so I'd rather not.

We have some dudes that make that commute every day too, I don't know how they do it. They generally get up real early and leave early, or they wfh until lunch and then head in. I couldn't do it though, I'm either in the office with a short commute everyday or I'm going total remote, I can't do a long commute anymore it kills me.

>I can't do a long commute anymore it kills me.
I'm the same, did it for around half a year and threw the towel in. Rent has been scalping me ever since

That's unfortunate senpai

>I'm the same, did it for around half a year and threw the towel in. Rent has been scalping me ever since
We can't win this battle can we? So either pay up to Mr. Noseberg's overpriced shitty apartment or bear with the commute.

Pretty much, I'm about to emigrate for the last time and looking to buy a house somewhere nice in England, in the countryside but close enough to a biggish city (not London though fuck that place)

Yep. I'd rather move home 4 hours away and become a total recluse working remote than drive 3 hours every day. No fucking way. I'll definitely do that if Amazon takes up shop here. I already did that to an extent at the tail end of my degree when I worked on campus. Shift started at 8AM? I had to get up at 5:30 and leave at 6:30 or else I'd be late because I had to sit on a 3 mile stretch of highway for an hour. A fucking hour due to construction.

The moment my rent skyrockets I'll be having the conversation with my manager. I'm not going to drive 30+ minutes into the office, nor am I going to pay half my rent to just live somewhere. I mean my rent isn't great now, but it's literally $1k cheaper than everything around me right now. Back home near my parents the rent I pay now would get me a 3 bedroom house.

>Back home near my parents the rent I pay now would get me a 3 bedroom house.
renting is the werst

Yes, but at the same time I don't want to buy a house until I find somewhere I want to live permanently. There's no telling where I might end up right now. In five years I could be working at a completely different company across the country.

Though, buying a house wouldn't be a bad idea, mortgage might be cheaper, but I'd want a house near work and that's easily 300k off the bat for a house little bigger than my 1 bedroom apartment. Dunno, I'd rather think about that when the prices go down to be honest.

Back home though it really is that cheap and it's tempting, mostly because my pay would still be the same since I'm moving within the state. That and the median income is so much lower that my income would practically double just because my CoL is so low compared to up here. I mean hell, a 2-3 bedroom apartment or house downtown there is $400 less practically. Something to think about.

Buy a house today and in five years the price will be higher and you can sell it, pay it off and keep the difference.

Not likely, they're skyrocketing now, it'll flop in a few years though.

Started the second week of my new job.

Loving it. It's so fucking chill, 9-5 with very relaxed responsibilities in a gigantic corporation.

I write code, have my own spacious cubicle, the pajeets don't smell of curry, only thing wrong is that Jow Forums is blocked :/

>not even two weeks in and already tried to go on 4chins
good job throwing your new job away

I do program various things. Mostly full-stack webdev, but I also make games, webdev research, prototyping, sysadmin, VR, etc.

The best part is I never have to work with legacy code. I'm usually responsible for the architecture and no one minds if I choose newest techniques and autism-driven development. I also get paid for hours without any fixed schedule. The company is small and everyone is quite chill, especially boss. I genuinely enjoy spending time there.

I earn much more than my peers, but not as much as people at my level. I don't really complain, I comfort and flexibility is more important for me.

Attached: 1496788764791591857.gif (389x415, 1.99M)

I too teach and it is frustrating to watch students fumble repeatedly.

Sounds like you've got a really good thing going. This will sound dumb, but be careful what you wish for. I would give anything to be able to walk to my work instead of drive.

Yep. I don't want to move away from here unless it gets too expensive, so I'm gonna try and get the 2 bedroom asap so I can enjoy it while it's still cheap.

freelance dev, effectively run my own small software venture now

months of work 0 money months of work 0 money then suddenly all of the money

>I am a data engineer.

What do you do with the data? data mining? machine learning?

such a broad term..

Attached: 1522894103071s.jpg (250x250, 3K)

>What do you do with the data?
He engineers it

I'm a 2nd tier NOC analyst that administrates a large MPLS and DWDM backbone carrier-class network. I stare at monitoring systems, take a few calls, make a few calls, write emails and documentation, make tickets and work them by bouncing ports, rebooting CPEs, checking optical light levels to ensure they are within tolerance and escalating issues to our senior staff and engineers or designated customer support staff if needed. All and all it can be stressful but its very rewarding. During downtime, I study for more certs, which are paid for by the company. Management sucks but at least the night shifts are cozy when everyone is gone.

Attached: 1521311706829.jpg (739x960, 70K)

>shift work
rip

At least I'm not on-call.

full stack at a biomedical place

was an intern the past year, just graduated and now im making like 95k. in boston suburbs

i like it a lot. get in 9:whatever and leave at 5:whatever. i work with mostly older people, which kinda sucks, but it's easy enough.

code base used to be php codeigniter with jquery frontend, but now we're rewriting everything. using django and react now, and im in charge of the react app. its a lot of fun

fair point

I go underwater in a submarine for months at a time, where I maintain and operate various electronic systems and have to participate in a nauseating amount of drills. When on land, I shitpost and watch anime.

I don't mind it much, but the pay is shit.

Attached: sub.jpg (1920x1080, 346K)

I don't know yet. I start tomorrow!

For us it means constructing/maintaining/improving the data pipeline(s). We have a lot of machines, applications, services and other stuff internally that generate logs or other meaningful data. So we get it from point A to B and reduce the barrier for people to search & use it for whatever they need it for.

That and help setup/coordinate the overall structure for other applications that might have a use case outside the normal logging scenarios. It's more data warehousing in a way, but data engineering encompasses a lot of stuff. Some teams do actually use the data we have available for customer research (though that's a completely separate setup than the standard pipeline), or use of some form of ML with our more security related sets of data for identifying malicious activity, etc.

AFAIK we don't do any kind of data mining. All of the data we have in house is generated in house from customers, from application/service logs, syslog info or machine related (think lower level than syslog, like logs from PDUs, networking equipment, etc).

Are you me?