Why the fuck is still separate

Why the fuck is still separate

Attached: 1524348844199.png (218x157, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

toastytech.com/guis/win10.html
channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/One-Dev-Minute/One-Dev-Question-with-Raymond-Chen-Why-are-there-Program-Files-and-Program-Files-x86-directories
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms680547(v=vs.85).aspx#ms-dos_stub__image_only_
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

One is for 32 bit programs (x86) and the other is for 64 bit programs (normal Program Files), it's only split if you are running a 64 bit version of windows.

Where else would you put your Program Files (x86)?

Because some stuff is still 32-bit for some reason. Don't recall it taking this long to remove 16-bit support from Windows.

> if you are running a 64 bit version

this is 2010 + 8 literally no one uses 32 bit anything anymore
even linux distros are dropping support for x32 like the fucking 200 lb beige dinosaur it is

32bit programs still exist retard

Windows have more legacy than that. Look at the apis.
Their customers appreciate that.

>literally no one uses 32 bit anything anymore

Attached: 1519100770786.jpg (702x800, 66K)

wat? they didn't remove 16bit support from the 32bit versions of windows. 32bit windows 10 still has 16bit support, as you can see here toastytech.com/guis/win10.html

Attached: win10winemine.png (1024x768, 115K)

Well shit, I learned something today then.

Ok, but why is there need to separate the program files on different folders by architecture? Surely the aplications know what architecture it was built for + if you wanted both versions on your pc for some autistic reason you could make a different folder for that program

The question wasn't if there is one single instance of a 32 bit OS running you fucking neet. It's about practicality. Why split it if it doesn't effect 99.99% of the userbase ?

>even linux distros are dropping support for x32 like the fucking 200 lb beige dinosaur it is
If a Linux distro drops it you still have plenty of alternatives. Ubuntu dropped it but low-resource focussed flavours like Lubuntu are still supporting it which are the ones you use on old computers anyway, and even if they'd drop it you still have Debian.

If windows would drop it everyone who uses 32 bit programs would be forced to run an outdated OS.

Because the 0.01% matters too, sweetie.

>people ITT think 32-bit programs need to go in (x86)
Fucking brainlets.

there is no reason, but reason has never stopped microsoft from doing things

>for some reason
um..... BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY?????
also 32bit programs are just fine, if they don't need to access more than 3.5GB of ram.

Fuck off neo/g/

This has been explained in detail by the guy who did it.
channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/One-Dev-Minute/One-Dev-Question-with-Raymond-Chen-Why-are-there-Program-Files-and-Program-Files-x86-directories

linux is also separate
>{,/usr}/lib
>{,/usr}/lib64

they haven't really dropped support for 32 bit, it's just innactivated and you can easily activate it again in less than a second

No they don't
>sweetie
fuck off tranny

lots of windows programs are still only 32bit
it's true there's hardly any 32bit-only macos or linux programs, but winfags are really, really slow about it
>even linux distros are dropping support for x32
x32 means something else entirely on linux, you dumbass

It's not anymore.
Program Files and PF (x86) are for legacy programs.

Attached: you and the joke.gif (640x480, 2.25M)

>some autistic reason

Do you know how many programs are out there that only offer 32-bit versions? Windows isn’t Linux where every program is automatically buildbotted for 64-bit. Fuck off retard

Thank you, this is interesting and informative. Much better than getting super defensive for no reason and flinging shit at each other like a bunch of chimps. Jesus Christ you fa/g/s are getting more and more insufferable with each passing day.

that's the joke

This seems actually reasonable

>you could make a different folder
Like a "Program Files" folder and a "Program Files (x86)" folder?

It's kind of retarded that Steam doesn't have a 64-bit binary by now. I think games are the last major holdout for 32-bit outside of ancient business applications, neither Steam, Origin or GOG are 64-bit.

The only thing that changed in 64-bit is you have more pointers, if your program doesn't need to use them then there's no point making your program 64-bit

What's stopping you from running a 32-bit version of any program inside the normal "Program Files" folder??? Why does it need to be separate?

No a C:\Program Files\MyProgram\ and C:\Program Files\MyProgram_x86\
^ That would be an exception, I literally never saw someone with the same program installed twice, just for different architectures

>No a C:\Program Files\MyProgram\ and C:\Program Files\MyProgram_x86\
but that would be retarded

You can literally pick a different folder when using any installing wizard

It makes sense for libraries that are shared and may be called the same, windows does it and it's ok too, but the program files thing is retarded

>x32
32 bit integers.. on x86 arch (32 bit integers max), or x86_64 (x86 architecture, capable of 64 bit integers)
Imagine how embarrassed you must be. What's it like being this stupid?

holy shit

There's a lot more than that, though; Long mode (64-bit x86 operating mode) stripped down segmentation (ignoring base address, limits, and repurposing the TSS) allowing for better performance, it added 48-bit virtual addressing (more memory), it allows the use of the 64-bit extended registers (as well as 8 new ones), and all 64-bit CPUs are garunteed to support SSE instructions, which means that making heavy use of them is garunteed to work if you target 64-bit cpus. System calls are also going to be faster on Windows since the WoW64 'emulator' will change the code segment selector to one in long mode and then use the syscall instruction, whereas 64 bit programs can just syscall since they're already in long mode.

Attached: augmented.jpg (600x733, 27K)

No one said you couldn't, doesn't make it any less retarded

stfu

i remember that when i used to use windows lol

gnome is comfy

Attached: Screencast from 05-19-2018 085436 PM-[00.02.812-00.25.297].webm (1281x720, 2.56M)

Im surprised windows doesnt have some sort of meta folder that exists as both pf and pf(86)

Why the fuck are you still a winfag?
Install Linux.

What are some examples of 32 programs that are somewhat largely used?

>click on music
>file manager shows .jpg files
Must suck being a non-Windows user.

damn. my cousin has the exact same first and last name. what are the chances?

realtek ethernet & audio driver. there. already 2 with atleast 500 million devices that use them.

pcsx2 is still 32bit-only

>no one uses 32 bit anything anymore

Since you sound like a stupid faggot from /v/, check what Steam is you fucking mongoloid.

>x32

>x32

Attached: images.jpg (211x239, 6K)

>this is 2010 + 8 literally no one uses 32 bit anything anymore
>even linux distros are dropping support for x32 like the fucking 200 lb beige dinosaur it is

It was customary for a lot of time to use UINT and LPARAM ( basically 32bit integer ) to move pointers in WINAPI and fugly-cast them to proper types when needed.

LPARAM and UINT remain 32bit in 64bit windows for compatibility reasons. There is a shitton of legacy software which still is supported and was first written in 1995 or so. For that reason alon windows has to support 32bit.

Generally - Windows is a clusterfuck of legacy shit.

To avoid programs overwriting their own libraries with 32/64 bit versions. For one reason.

i'm on windows 7 32bit
ask me anything

Back in the day when x64 Windows OS' got released, most people wanted to (have the ability to) run their x64 apps alongside their x86 apps, so unless you wanted to ask literally every single software supplier to change their code they just basically made the differences in folders so that the versions wont overwrite eachother.

yeah because making a 64bit version of your application doesn't involve "changing your code"

because its more than 0,01% you retard
you dont even have any idea what legacy shit is running everywhere

Projecting

Steam and Nvidia's telemetry (spyware) driver.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI

This is a real feat of software engineering

x86 is emulated motherfuckers.

Steam is 32-bit

Windows (current version) is a mash up of all the previous versions that have existed before, in Windows XP for example you can find reg keys from IE4 install even though WinXP has never had IE4.

Program files exists because the new "version of windows" had to have a folder separate from the "previous versions of windows" because reasons.

Because in this way you can know what version do you have looking at the path.

Why would I need that?
I install everything in C:\\Apps

Yes but only for 32-bit Windows. WOW only goes back one generation. So 64-bit still supports 32-bit and 32-bit still supports 16-bit.

>x32
What did he mean by this?

lmao grandpa it's time to buy a computer from after 1995

Will there be any benefits from dropping 32 bit support?

I think I had an x32 CD-ROM drive once so maybe he means optical media I don't know.

>dropping support for x32

x32 isn't what you think it is, retard.
would it blow your peanut mind to realize that it's actually something newer than x86-64/AMD64?

There are way more than 32 programs largely used moron

It's AMD and Microsoft fault.

I think you understood perfectly well what I was trying to say, but instead of SHUTTING THE FUCK UP or just ANSWERING my question you opted to go through the "gotcha!" route.
Bad mistake.
Not only do you now come accords as an asswhole but you also reveal your lack of knoeledge on the subject metter. I suggest you crawl back to your shithole and remain SILENT for the rest of this thread...

why the fuck do we still have 32 bit programs ?

because we have 32bit CPU's

I am sorry bro I won't say another word

>university has some old but still useful interactive presentations
>new PCs arrive with 64-bit Windows
>presentations are in ancient Toolbook format that requires a 16-bit player and can't be converted to anything remotely modern

>mfw no one knows about dosbox or virtualbox

Attached: DiabolicalLaughter.jpg (346x242, 17K)

I have to use 32 bit Windows at work for compatibility with some obscure hardware. don't underestimate the number of corporations using legacy shit they should have dropped 10 years ago

please don't tell me that anyone on this board actually installs programs in those 2 directories on system drive...

name 5 (five) reasons not to do that

That's a good question. That's a really good question actually.

32-bits programs are good for laptops

>but winfags are really, really slow about it
Windows users aren't slow about moving to 64bit it's just there are old programs that are still 32bit only and will stay 32bit and no one bothers to replace them because they still work. Don't fix what isn't broken essentially. It doesn't help that Windows really hasn't changed much since Vista

It took a really really long time to remove 16 bit support

>2 folders for programs, divided by bitness vs. 1 folder for programs, (optionally subfolders for categorizing them)
>your system partition gets filled with all kinds of random shit programs generate
>when shit hits the fan, format c: wipes your programs
>all the boundled ms shit mixes with your shit, 2 times
>it takes no effort to pick path other than default during installation unless you're Stacy, who only clicks "continue" or "ok" without a thought.

>2 folders for programs, divided by bitness vs. 1 folder for programs, (optionally subfolders for categorizing them)
Not an argument unless you're autistic. You categorize your programs in the start menu, not in installation folders - you shouldn't ever have to manually go into Program Files unless something goes horribly wrong. /bin on Linux must be a nightmare for you.

>your system partition gets filled with all kinds of random shit programs generate
Not an argument - the shit programs generate goes in ProgramData and LocalSettings, regardless of where the program was installed.

Not an argument - format c: wipes your registry, and programs installed on another drive will have to be reinstalled anyway.

See #1.

>it takes no effort to pick path other than default during installation
Yeah but as mentioned above, there are no reasons except autism to do that.

>Not an argument unless you're autistic. You categorize your programs in the start menu, not in installation folders - you shouldn't ever have to manually go into Program Files unless something goes horribly wrong. /bin on Linux must be a nightmare for you.
remember when MS removed start menu? and then brought it back but it's different than before? And the update fucked it up? That must've been a funride for you. Also, windows 10 called and as far as I know you're not allowed to categorize your programs in start menu anymore. I dropped my "windows built-in features" dependency long ago. I also manually go into Program folder whenever I want because I fucking can. And yes, Linux is a nightmare with it's tendency to treat user as a retard.
Also enjoy remembering name of that one program that converts X to Y and you used it 2 years ago and always had to scroll around it looking for other programs.
>Not an argument - the shit programs generate goes in ProgramData and LocalSettings, regardless of where the program was installed.
That is exactly what's wrong in windows and that's why every possible program should be installed in portable/standalone mode on non-system drive.
>Not an argument - format c: wipes your registry, and programs installed on another drive will have to be reinstalled anyway.
See above. Not using registry == no problems, ease of backup/recovery, ease of transition to a new machine, dual-booting, etc...
>See #1.
See #1,#2,#3
>it takes no effort to pick path other than default during installation
>Yeah but as mentioned above, there are no reasons except autism to do that.
Normie and proud... sums it all. I bet you use ccleaner.

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms680547(v=vs.85).aspx#ms-dos_stub__image_only_ you know its funny how every 64 bit pe file still has a dos header in them, the absolute state of g

Attached: a.png (1918x1048, 109K)

Source engine games

I never really understood why Microsoft split the two folders off but x86-64 and x86-32 aren't directly compatible. When windows runs 32bit software on 64bit it's doing some very lightweight emulation in the background to make it work. There's some overhead which in theory would decrease performance (somewhere around 5% or less) but the benefit of running 32bit software on 64bit actually outweighs the costs because x86-64 has more general purpose registers and 32bit software is smaller which allows more instructions to fit inside the CPU caches.

The most optimal solution is a 64bit OS running 32bit software which is what the x32 ABI on Linux () was supposed to do.

Compatibility

>64bit OS running 32bit software
I was wrong here. x32 is a 64bit OS running 64bit software that is deliberately limited to 32bit sized integers for more optimal performance. Since x32 code is actually 64bit its also compatible with full size 64bit code so you're not limited to 32bits if you still need more.

>windows 10 called and as far as I know you're not allowed to categorize your programs in start menu
>I also manually go into Program folder whenever I want because I fucking can.
>Linux is a nightmare with it's tendency to treat user as a retard
>every possible program should be installed in portable mode

If this isn't trolling, you unironically need help. That's like Terry level autism except without any actual knowledge.

Attached: Titanlaugh.png (212x344, 77K)

> Why should I make a program for x64 if it only uses less than 50MB of RAM?

Attached: 1516838140511.jpg (645x729, 81K)

Ho much RAM do you have?
What version?
> I used 32-bit Windows 7 until 2017, when I upgraded my RAM from 2GB to 8GB

you're really good at quoting
Now try again. This time with arguments, based memelord.

>that 30 year old boomer who's still using a 32 bit OS

Attached: 1506166692879.png (380x349, 77K)

>garunteed

Attached: feel retard 2.jpg (600x600, 57K)