Why does Jow Forums hate electron so much? From what I've seen so far it seems bretty gud to me. Write once...

Why does Jow Forums hate electron so much? From what I've seen so far it seems bretty gud to me. Write once, app works on the big three desktop platforms, lots of functions like updating and crash reporting already handled by electron, etc. But then again I'm still a relative newfag when it comes to software development.

>inb4 hurr durr onions
I don't give a fuck what type of people tend to use a piece of software so long as it's gud

Attached: Screenshot-2018-5-20 Electron Build cross platform desktop apps with JavaScript, HTML, and CSS .png (1261x660, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/49159
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah who gives a fuck about performance when I can write crappy bloatware in 30 minutes and sip soimilk rest of the day.

the difference between 50 and 300 mb ram use does not fucking matter to anyone except your autistic ass

what does matter is being able to ship a cross-platform desktop application in "30 minutes"

Sure if the only thing you care about is money.

Native autists on Jow Forums are upset about it because they think that they will lose their jobs to it(which is wrong)

Most electron applications are memory hungry pieces of shit. I like being able to run more than 3 applications at once on my computer. Also the potential attack surface is huge. It's one of the worst solutions to the cross platform UI toolkit problem.

These word filters suck
>onions
>soys
>Onions
>basedboy
>S O Y B O Y

>the difference between 1GB and 6GB does not matter
Kys

Don't you fucking weasels have any pride as a software developer? How can you have any self respect knowing you're intentionally shipping out half assed crap?

There was a popular post on Reddit pretty recently about a vulnerability within electron that allowed attackers to perform XSS attacks on programs made in electron, which pretty much amounted to remote code execution, which is pretty fucked.
Other than that, it's the unfortunate result of how fucking stupidly difficult it is to put together a cross platform app that doesn't look like aids. I personally dislike how heavy it is resource-wise, but it's kinda the only choice for a cross platform UI that
a) doesn't take 3 different code bases and
b) doesn't look straight out of the 90s

as long as it makes the users happy and helps them accomplish whatever it is that they want to do :) most users aren't Jow Forums spergs watching their process manager instead of doing something useful

In keeping with the user-first ideology you have there, won't users get angry that they can't run more than 3 programs at a time without their computer slowing down to a crawl?

>he calls them "apps"
see, this is why you're not going to make it my newfriend

Oh, so that's my 4GB of RAM PC is so fucking slow.
Off yourself sóybóy

Users will fuck off if their application lags, retard. This kind of dumbfuck thinking is what's killing software development.
Hence why VSC has more people using it compared to brackets or atom, because despite all them being electron shits MS managed to optimise VSC to be lighter than those two; thus unnecessary bloat is still stupid

isn't that what mac basically is? normal faggots are all over it anyway.

Doesn't run on ARM
Doesn't exist
Normies stopped doing desktops like 8 years ago

you can't lose something you don't have. native autists hate electron because it's shit.

> But then again I'm still a relative newfag when it comes to software development.
And I see that's why you're still using node+electron

The church of qt welcomes you.

Attached: Canonization_2014-_The_Canonization_of_Saint_John_XXIII_and_Saint_John_Paul_II_(14036966125).jpg (210x198, 9K)

The problem is that GUI programming SUCKS and has always SUCKED.

Gtk+ sucks.
wxWidgets is ugly.
Swing sucks.
JavaFX sucks.
Qt is convoluted and has a weird licensing scheme.
WPF is windows only.
Cocoa is nice, but only for mac.

Then you come up an say "hey, you can know use HTML+CSS+JS" to make desktop apps and everyone is mad, well I was mad before when I had to put up with the bullshit that came with anything in that list.

nuklear.h and nanoGUI seem cool. Shame they're small libraries and now intended for serious user

>the difference between 50 and 300 mb ram use does not fucking matter

Attached: chart.png (640x480, 20K)

>inb4 everyone whines about C++

This is why only engineers should be allowed to write software. I don't want to be the laughing stock of STEM after 8 years of hard work just because some retarded shithead who knows zilch about computers and computation thinks "what is so hard about it lul".
I'm so damn lucky to be in safety-critical, because when it comes to infrastructure, nobody would let a retarded monkey build or maintain it.

In that case you use QML instead :^)

then why do companies feel the need to do this? github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/49159

Now everyone can complain about python

Literally every fucking language has bindings for Qt or at least the QtQuick QML parts.

> Computer resources doesn't matter
go suck a dick