/tpg/ - Thinkpad General - Maki Edition

Previous thread: →
If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60(s; t); X200(s; t), T400(s)/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1480097589690.png (800x1280, 654K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ibm.com/support/home/warranty-lookup
support.lenovo.com/en/basicwarrantylookup/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Who else /lounging/?

Attached: obscura1526825743418.jpg (1363x1056, 1.05M)

How much does a T420 normally go for without a HDD? I bought mine for $100 a year ago which I thought it was a solid deal. Battery works perfectly fine too.

if you already bought the fucking thing then why ask? Are you that desperate to talk about your fucking thinkpad?

Going to get some thermal compound, post your chinkpad temps lads

I'm just curious if that was the average price or if I got lucky.

W510 here

Attached: temps.png (453x304, 17K)

fuck you

That doesn't really answer my question.

It is possible to disable Intel ME in the bios, so is corebooting really necessary? Or are we all paranoid and dont believe Lenovo?

Attached: todoornottodo.jpg (1948x1461, 249K)

>tfw can't decide what distro to put on my X220

Attached: 1525950130865.png (420x346, 75K)

It doesn't matter, dick waving your distro on Jow Forums will only make you a worse person, not a better one, in any single way.

I don't wanna dickwave. I'm just looking for a distro that doesn't need updating as frequently as fucking Arch. But there's shitloads like that and they honestly all seem mostly the same.

What is ME cleaner.

Coreboot doesn't disable ME, unless you supply it with a cleaned blob desu.

Does any distro need updating?

I run apt-get upgrade like once every two months and I'm sure I'd be fine even less often.

>Intel management engine

I don't trust Intel. I don't like they're not giving me a choice. I like lenovo for the repairability they provide.

fuck me why can't i find a W701ds

how is my own laptop as old as one of those dinosaurs, rip

>tfw pristine x201

Ah yeah sorry, was kind of implying that while you coreboot you might as well use ME cleaner.

Just use Debian. Or Fedora. Is there any reason to use anything else?
I really like KDE Plasma, I've been a long time XFCE / Cinnamon user but really like the KDE echosystem.

So how easy is a T440p CPU swap from dual core i7 to quad core?

I think if you're already looking to strip out ME, you probably don't trust anyone.

Also Coreboot seems more useful for cpu+memory support and whitelist removal.

Old computers are retarded. Get a job.

Anyone here running ivy bridge on a corebooted 420? I just put in a 3630qm and got it to boot, but I have no video. I'm pretty sure it's booting and I can even see it on the network. Did I fuck up somewhere and not enable 4000 video?

MX-4 a best

Attached: g.jpg (505x345, 61K)

thinpad melts away, but its fast, used TG kryonaut

Attached: tRL6f4p.png (2560x1440, 1.73M)

>tfw Lenovo will never release top AESTHETICS beige thinkpad in your lifetime

Attached: whitepad.jpg (3264x2448, 684K)

just paint one beige

>literally two (not three or four) seconds after cb finished
Guess it don't need compound swap for a bit 8)
>tfw run a business
>tfw business is mine
B-but why? FTR, old computers are just old. (You) are retarded. Get a life.

Attached: cinebench_w_speccy_at_finish_line_02.jpg (1312x672, 140K)

>tfw will never rock a top AESTHETICS camofleige cinderpad with soothing sounds compliments of the three-five floppy fella

Is there a recommended stupid-proof guide to flashing the bios splash screen? T420s

If I'm flashing the bios for the boot image, should I also install an alternate bios?

How does the T420s/30s compare to the T420/30 performance wise? I like the fact that the s is slimmer but the battery pack not being one of the standard thinkpad ones that go in the back kind of annoys me.

Is there even a possibility of getting an extended battery or something to that effect for the s versions?

>How does the T420s/30s compare to the T420/30 performance wise?
Both have the same processors so it's the same, non-s models don't have a soldered cpu and can be upgraded though.

>Is there even a possibility of getting an extended battery or something to that effect for the s versions?
Ultrabay battery.

what's the most you'd spend on a laptop/thinkpad anyways before it becomes shillcum

Attached: carfaces.jpg (640x640, 35K)

So I've got a bunch of old thinkpads and I'm looking to set up arch and a minimum desktop environment on one of them for my uni classes.
Im mostly deciding between the T420 and X220t but I'm not sure if there are device drivers for the x220t touchscreen and pen. I also have a 600 and a t30 but I probably wont be doing anything with those for now. Mostly what I'm looking for is efficiency, stability and battery life but having the pen functionality would be nice for note taking on occasion.

I'd buy a new X2xx series if I could afford one

curious about this too as I have an elitebook 2470p that I installed windows 7 on as I couldn't find anything confirming or denying wacom compatibility, against that there are apparently no good alternatives to onenote and I use that shit daily

>but having the pen functionality would be nice for note taking on occasion
Yeah it's a nice thing to have, i use my X61t for that. Just get the x220t imo.

nvm, I'm pretty sure I used the wrong pci device ID

I have all of the thinkpads I mentioned, but I wasn't sure about drivers for the x220t pen

>efficiency
>stability
>battery life
>pen functionality
ermmm have you considered Windows?

Just fucking look it up on thinkwiki.

Protip: Yeah, it's supported.

ayy what up myfam? it's ya boi, you know how we do? how I'm doin? You know me, chillin, chillin.

Anyway myfam, I was peepin that Jow Forumsthinkpad and seein hella niggas been snaggin up x61 and you know ya boi gotta have that fresh fresh. I seen this dude on craigslist that slangs them for like $300, he said they only need ram and a hard drive and they hella good to go. So I'm thinking Imma do that since he seems legit.

My t400 battery got busted somehow and I feel like it is leaking but idk... Can I just buy a new battery and be cool?

Attached: bfc40703436058a39b417ce103c2698d.jpg (394x520, 106K)

if it's leaking just plug the hole and refill it

Stop..

why are you asking us if you can buy a new fucking battery, stop looking for excuses to blog you prick

>catching your waifu installing non-free software on your dankpad

Attached: 1526846874856.png (800x1280, 758K)

Maki has smelly armpits

i've had my t480 for 3 weeks now and i love it so much

This is some deviant art tier shit broski

Attached: gross.jpg (344x317, 30K)

more like
>catching your anime gril ruining your thinkpad with freetard shit

>got two hours and 40 minutes out of my used T440p in a mix of light/medium shitposting and watching youtube

Pretty happy with that desu, I'm used to used laptops having batteries that are totally fucked.

Attached: happy.jpg (196x250, 7K)

I'm low confidence.. I didn't know if there was something i should know first..

Attached: 34702001662_632fca9cc7_b.jpg (724x1024, 137K)

Buy the used chink ones. Chinks are very similar to anime waifus and the Lenovo ones are too expensive. You can use the money you saved on more anime and manga. Stay fresh, myfam.

Is there some sort of difference or guide? I have a store down the street that sells thinkpad batteries and I want to support local business

in that case just go ask them for a battery and see how it works, they should have a return policy either way

I know about that shop, it's not on fleek. Honestly, you'll be much happier with a used chink battery on eBay. The owner of that shop bullies my anime fan club.

fucking delete this

How old is your thinkpad /tpg/? The one you actually use not the oldest one you own

get your serial number by running msinfo32 (windows) or dmidecode (linux) then checking it here

ibm.com/support/home/warranty-lookup
support.lenovo.com/en/basicwarrantylookup/

Here's mine

Attached: laptopAge.png (288x108, 4K)

Lol I have one that's like 2006 at least lmao.

I should..I'll test them out first. Idek how it broke like how it did .__.

I don't even like anime just maki and it was maki edition

>Lol I have one that's like 2006 at least lmao.
prove it

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IF MY FUCKING T440P REGISTERS A RIGHT CLICK AS A LEFT CLICK ONE MORE TIME IM GOING TO FUCKING KILL MYSELF

I'm not even from the US lmao

Attached: aa.jpg (628x160, 17K)

Ok lads I need some help, I bought a t430 about a week ago and everything has been good so far. The wifi on this thing is terribly slow for me, e.g. watching youtube videos in 240p and still waiting for them to load. There's no consistency with the speed. I know it's not the position in my house as my other laptop is next to it right now streaming videos in HD. What could be the problem? Merci

Hey /tpg/ and Jow Forums
Looking for a Thinkpad that's around 250-300 maplebucks on eBay. What do you recommend?

Desu too meme/10.

People will think you have Aspergers.

This is coming from the person that bought a cat hoodie in the last thread.
>Make pepe smaller
Depends on condition. $100 isn't terrible. Especially if it i 1600x900.
t. Works at McDonald, and buys iphones. At least dragon dildos don't need to be upgraded every 2 years.
No desu do not do this, it has a 1/5 chance of turning out ok.

T. I have plastidipped a thinkpad.
>Also if you do it you gotta comit and use a thinner paint like rustoleam. Plastidip looked terrible.
$500, only if it is a w701ds with a decent quad core.

Otherwise $200.
x61t touchscreen worked out of the box with debian. I'd get a non-tablet x220 though. It is more durable (I think)
>Buy a x200s with 1440x900
>Buy a x201 motherboard, with heatsink and bottom panel
>Combine them.
>Use ME cleaner, and coreboot. There is one guy on github that got it working on t410 with the ME soft disabled.
(desu if you want libre/core boot shit I'm trying this. I can already tell you the the 1440x900 x200s panel doesn't swap to most x200)

or....

>t420
>quad core i7
>coreboot
>me cleaner
>1600x900 alienware display,

or....

>t60
>2560x1440 panel
>t7600g
>Libreboot
>Software Overclock

Thanks kind user

General gist is desu.

In the USA 250-300 is too much desu, unless you upgrade the hell out of it lol

Just buy any of the 20 or 30 series used on ebay for around $100 or $150, upgrade that or save yourself some money :DD

>guys lets make a thinkpad but without any of the status LEDs, no CAPS lock light, no thinklight and no media keys
>also lets destroy the trackpoint lmao

???

Attached: dogshit.jpg (1060x596, 157K)

Thinking of bidding on a second hand $175 T420s

i7 2460M
8GB RAM
150GB SSD

Yes/No?

>run a "business"
Taking out the trash and emptying the gutters for mummy isn't a business.

i'm a "scrum master" for a bunch of poojeets, i use a t480 and a motorola g4 plus to boss my poojeets around and claim credit for their work. ask me anything.

Why do you hate old computers. Its fun and cheap?

I mean I have a nice dual Xeon desktop, but I'm probably gonna sell it for a Talos lite.

Attached: 1526757396296.png (699x664, 183K)

Pls don't beat me user.

I needed that non-free firmware to get wifi working.
>Proceeds to beat waifu with cat5 whip.
>Waifu cries and goes into fetal position.
>H8 fucks the non-free firmware out of waifus boy pussy.

Attached: cat5o9.jpg (299x169, 10K)

>People will think
>People

In my own garden? Doubt it. Also, I don't have Pepe on 24/7.

Thinking of getting a tablet model
stuck between
>x200t
>x220t
>x230t
Is the hinge as weak as it looks on them?

Is Thinkpad 13 really shit?

Remember: When buying ThinkPad batteries, always buy genuine Lenovo batteries, as new as possible (Date manufactured) that are sealed in the original Lenovo box with the red Lenovo tape.

Do not fall for fakes, there are lots of them out there. If they do not come in Lenovo boxes with Lenovo red tape and a Lenovo user manual inside, they are fake or used.

If you suspect you have a fake, use Lenovo power manager to check for mis-matched serial numbers, impossible date first used or date manufactured, etc.

no :^)

- posted from my thinkpad running a fake 9-cell and powered by a fake ac adapter

Running fakes is fine if you want 75% of the original runtime, and a potential risk of fire depending on how shotty the construction is.

what if you run linux?
>being worried about chinkshit

I love Maki so much.

Attached: 91a436e8f7c24ca2dd3d32e5168d27c9.png (975x1269, 977K)

Ubuntu has a built in battery health / info lookup tool.

>tfw just installed windows 10 pro on my x220

Attached: 1484429019565 (1).jpg (640x640, 49K)

any input?
I think I ruled out the X200 because you can't use the screen with your fingers.

>because you can't use the screen with your fingers
that's a good thing though

That kills the whole point of it being a tablet you dumb fuck

holy shit you're fucking stupid

The newer ones have proper touch and palm rejection you mongoloid.
I fucking hate you stupid hipster contrarian faggots.
>b-but it's actually a good thing!!1!!

does everything work out of the box? I was thinking on installing LTSB, but dunno if it will work well, also battery life is a concern.

I have the default tn panel if I upgrade to an 1080p IPS will the blacks be better.

I look at black clothes everyday.

yes myfam, working 100% only paid $500 for it found a sweet deal on Jow Forumsthinkpad seller was A++++ legit myfam

t480s vs x1 carbon?
Priority: battery life & screen

Does anybody here have experience with the Dell M4800? I'm thinking about getting one, but I want to know if they're as good as they seem on paper. Also, can I put any MXM card that fits on it or will it work only with specific ones?

Attached: dell-precision-m4800-1.jpg (500x500, 25K)

Would attaching a external GPU to a docking station work for laptop gaming?

Your best bet is the expresscard slot if you want it to be a simple setup. It would help if you mentioned a model though.

I know on the thinkpad (atleast the model I'm using the t60) there is like firmware volume. Is there a way i can read this in linux?

I thought something like a T440s or something with a at least 4-5th gen i5/i7.

I thought about E470 or perhaps a x1 Carbon but I would also like to game on it.(Witcher 3,Tekken 7 on medium). I want to be portable but also to kick back and relax.

Dell Latitude e4630s here. It's 6 years old now, running Windows 7. Honestly, it was my dad's work laptop back then but I've owned it for a year now :)

For some reason, the 4 and 5 keys have stopped working(I use numlock to type them) and the battery is shit. Also, got rid of the shitloads of malware he had on it, and it has like 400GB free, which is pretty cool.