How the fuck did they manage to make it worse?

discordapp.com/privacy
How the fuck did they manage to make it worse?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 4.25.21 PM.png (446x247, 137K)

Other urls found in this thread:

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gvzw5x/secure-messaging-app-wire-stores-everyone-youve-ever-contacted-in-plain-text
wire-docs.wire.com/download/Wire Privacy Whitepaper.pdf
wire.com/en/legal/#privacy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

GDPR probably

So less that they made it worse but more that they're being forced to lay out their shitty practices?

From a cursory read I've gathered they:
Monitor all text chats (this one's not surprising)
Monitor all private chats
Monitor all voice chats
Read and store what other network connections your computer is using
Read and store your computer "settings" (probably meaning other software you have installed)

RFGT probably

>How the fuck did they manage to make it worse?
They were in fact doing it all along. Just sugarcoated to lull retarded gaymers.

They already did state that they monitor and collect everything. The only new thing is that they admitted that even if you do request your data to be deleted, EU citizen or not, your data is only deleted from their main server. Their backups and any data they give or sell to other companies remains intact.

Why not just use IRC? Its been around for much longer than your autistic JS blobs

>hurr durr just expose your ip address

what is their endgame? are people really buying the premium account stuff? i can see it make enough money to sustain its popularity

have they ever said hat theyre doing with the data?

if you have to ask this you're really out of touch with the general population

They have promised they aren't doing anything shady on reddit.

none of that is a big deal

i can think of reasons they do all these things but its still weird how they can just do all that

Yeah I hear you, it's up to how much you trust them and their private investors.

Discord is slimy as fuck. They removed any way for you to delete your message history. They actually lied in their API docs for years, saying they would add a "bulk delete" endpoint (while they actually had no plans to do so).

Did you know trying to delete your message history on discord is a bannable offense? Since you can only delete messages one at a time, deleting 10,000+ messages would require some form of automation, which would break the TOS and get you banned.

Attached: 24907796538_f7839024ac.jpg (333x500, 53K)

>implying you're worthy of being hacked

But he has a point.

Just run it sandboxed, nigger.

Going to need sauce, dont even care if its a man

No people have been hacked for chatting on irc. Also some of these complaints come from people using torrents which also show your ip.

入江紗綾

>Monitor all text chats (this one's not surprising)
>Monitor all private chats
How would you provide a messaging service without storing the messages?
>Monitor all voice chats
Same as above. They even say voice is transient data and not stored.
>Read and store what other network connections your computer is using
It doesn't say anything like that. It says that they access your data if you connect social networks like your Twitter or Steam or whatever. No shit dude.
>Read and store your computer "settings" (probably meaning other software you have installed)
Ctrl+F "settings". They're talking about login cookies you fucking imbecile.

Is is really that hard to read and understand? Or are you doing it on purpose? Their privacy policy seems pretty reasonable to me. Of course that is only what they tell you they collect, but as for collecting more than that I've seen nothing but dumb FUD.

>How would you provide a messaging service without storing the messages?
That isn't how they use it. They've actively taken down servers and banned people who only ever used private chats for doing anything that goes against their rules. That means that actually look through it all.
>Ctrl+F "settings". They're talking about login cookies you fucking imbecile.
It's telemetry and usage data.

They say you are allowed to delete all information about you because of GDPR, and even state that such a setting exists. It's nowhere to be found.

>has never used irc

>How would you provide a messaging service without storing the messages?
>Same as above.
E2E Encryption, nigger. But yes, peer to peer messaging exists so it's possible to do this at least for direct messaging.
Riot.im, Wire, Mumble, etc. have already solved this.

>Their privacy policy seems pretty reasonable to me
They monitor your active processes and fetch your hardware configuration. It's fucking spyware no matter how you look at it. Go away, (((discord))) (((hype squad)))

>GDPR probably
Kek!

>Riot
Still trash.
>Wire
Cucked to hell.
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gvzw5x/secure-messaging-app-wire-stores-everyone-youve-ever-contacted-in-plain-text
wire-docs.wire.com/download/Wire Privacy Whitepaper.pdf
wire.com/en/legal/#privacy
>Mumble
Shitty alternative, but one of the best.

>They monitor your active processes and fetch your hardware configuration.
Of course they monitor processes, for game overlay and displaying game activity. Discord claims this information never leaves your computer. Got any proof they're lying? If so I'm all ears. I'm not interested in hearing your FUD. Needing to have trust in the creators that it is not spyware is true for all closed source software.

Fuck off, (((hype squad))) shill.

Guys, we promise we only need to see running applications for the overlay!

The bad news is that nobody will care and get raped in the ass like before while yelling I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE

I mean, if they're lying about that, they'll get gored by the EU for GDPR violations. Which is kind of the point.

Just use Mumble, it takes virtually no resources to run a server and you don't have to worry about some sus company recording all your conversations and selling them.

>It says that they access your data if you connect social networks like your Twitter or Steam or whatever
It read a game I was playing without me having connected my Steam to it

>No people have been hacked for chatting on irc
k

discord also shows your ip you just don't know how to see it.

no he doesnt
running a bouncer is like step 2 of irc after downloading an irc client
if people on Jow Forums can't even be bothered to do babby work for privacy why is anyone surprised discord is #1

pretty much the only salient criticism i've read here is "why don't they offer end to end encryption", to which the answer is probably "they want control over the content on their platform". you can not be okay with that, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me. there are other services which are more privacy and security focused you can use.

otherwise their privacy policy doesn't have anything objectionable or strange? i wouldn't mind these threads so much if people actually had something unique or interesting to say instead of rehashing the same vapid thoughts and surface level observations.

>Bouncer
>Privacy
KeK.

Also there aren't that many public bouncers, so good luck finding one in case of being blacklisted.

[citation needed]

Yeah it monitors the active processes on your computer. Even if you choose to not display it the data is still sent.
Only way around this is to use the web version.

>deleting 10,000+ messages would require some form of automation, which would break the TOS and get you banned.
you're deleting your messages anyway, would you really care?

worrying about "exposing your IP" is a joke and there are a dozen ways to obfuscate your IP besides a bouncer

>is a joke
To you.
>there are a dozen ways to obfuscate your IP besides a bouncer
All ears.

>Got any proof they're lying?
Got any proof they're being truthful? "Trust the creators" is not good enough an argument to discuss privacy.

This. Especially with proprietary software and servers.